Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

Greenery is totally under appreciated for a nice desk setup, I also stare at grafana for work, it's a hard job but someone has to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

How deep is that desk? I am looking to go to a larger desk with custom top but around 2 feet deep is common depth for the less expensive tops...

[EDIT] sorry, also meant to say the setup looks great! I have a lot of lighting in my room but my window faces an unsightly bush. Your surroundings are nice. :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks. Yeah, it's 25" deep. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-6-ft-Adjustable-Height-Birch-Top-Workbench-GAWB06HWEG/206390573

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Working from home 3-4 days a week and also starting online grad school, so figured it was time for a desk upgrade. Found a good deal on a used USM Haller Advanced desk - has a monitor arm built-in and the top slides off, so all the cables and wifi router fit inside the desk. Everything is connected to the MacBook with one cable, and I can switch between my work and personal computer very easily or plug my work computer back in after taking it to the office.

Couple things I need to figure out:
- Should probably buy a webcam so that I don't have to tilt my built-in one at a weird angle
- My bluetooth mouse can pair with multiple devices, but the keyboard cannot. Maybe I should just plug it in via USB?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

that's a very nice desk but if I were you I wouldn't put the router in there unless it's open in the back, even routers need to breath :)

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Uh-oh, it's, uh, got some air holes?? I hope it's alright (it's the white thing below)

It's a piece of junk and I'm just using it as an access point (it's plugged into ethernet that runs through my apartment) because the wifi is spotty in this room

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

should be okay, if it was fully sealed it wouldn't be good but there is enough air flow there imo.

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

NicelyNice posted:

Uh-oh, it's, uh, got some air holes?? I hope it's alright (it's the white thing below)

It's a piece of junk and I'm just using it as an access point (it's plugged into ethernet that runs through my apartment) because the wifi is spotty in this room

This desk, and the back pain it caused, is the reason I left my last employer. The chrome frame (the cross bar beneath the table top) made it impossible to adjust my chair with arm rests to the correct height. Just fyi.

It looks very, very nice. But for me it was impossible to use in an ergonomic way.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Not standing at your desk smdh

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

ZeitGeits posted:

This desk, and the back pain it caused, is the reason I left my last employer. The chrome frame (the cross bar beneath the table top) made it impossible to adjust my chair with arm rests to the correct height. Just fyi.

It looks very, very nice. But for me it was impossible to use in an ergonomic way.

Are arms rests supposed to fit under the nesk? I always thought they were supposed to be roughly even with desk level

P.S. Y'all in the US are really supposed for desk choices (and mattresses, while I'm at it) - decent office equipment for consumers is almost non-existent in Japan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NicelyNice posted:

Are arms rests supposed to fit under the nesk? I always thought they were supposed to be roughly even with desk level

P.S. Y'all in the US are really supposed for desk choices (and mattresses, while I'm at it) - decent office equipment for consumers is almost non-existent in Japan.

When my dad was looking for a good office chair he just went to a store meant for businesses and bought one. The only catch was all the prices listed were VAT-free. (Not in Japan though.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of, I've got a budget of about $300 and "someone" wants to buy me a chair. Any recommendations? Comfort is important, function is "a chair", so I don't need anything fancy or anything. Hell, don't even need wheels.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of, I've got a budget of about $300 and "someone" wants to buy me a chair. Any recommendations? Comfort is important, function is "a chair", so I don't need anything fancy or anything. Hell, don't even need wheels.

You'll definitely need wheels, trust me.

Check your local Craigslist for a used Herman Miller SAYL, Celle, or first-gen Mirra. They're all great chairs and usually stand up to a lot, and might still be under warranty depending on age. They're all really popular for corporate office spec and so there's a bunch of them out there. Herman Miller's weird flexible plastic backs are amazing.

Other than that, you're gonna find a lot of really generic racer-style gaming chairs that may or may not be comfortable, and your standard "plush" "executive" office chair.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
$300 should be enough for the newer version of the Markus at Ikea, with adjustable lumbar and headrest. Up to you to decide if it's comfortable though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Moved into the new house and finally have my own office. Looking to get the Ikea countertop as a tabletop but they're unfortunately sold out of table legs! Are there any alternatives to this that aren't incredibly expensive?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Moved into the new house and finally have my own office. Looking to get the Ikea countertop as a tabletop but they're unfortunately sold out of table legs! Are there any alternatives to this that aren't incredibly expensive?

Not sure what terribly expensive is but you can do the Alex drawer route

(not my desk but my wife does have the two Alex + Countertop)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Photex posted:

Not sure what terribly expensive is but you can do the Alex drawer route

(not my desk but my wife does have the two Alex + Countertop)

I'm thinking of doing this (I already have one Alex) but what do you use to keep the top in place? I know Ikea has those little rubber nubs but is that it? Does the weight keep it from moving around?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Humerus posted:

I'm thinking of doing this (I already have one Alex) but what do you use to keep the top in place? I know Ikea has those little rubber nubs but is that it? Does the weight keep it from moving around?

I use this sort of stuff (not necessarily the brand, I get the no-name stuff at Walmart or whatever) to keep my mousepad in place:
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip...la-795164640411

I have to imagine that if it can keep my mousepad in place with almost zero vertical force pushing down on it, it'd work just fine to keep the desktop from moving around.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Humerus posted:

I have almost the same setup (literally; counter on black Alexes, tower on left, two monitors on one arm, same router, same wireless charger, same mouse...) and it doesn't move noticeably. It does move a bit over time (my top is level with the front of my right Alex drawers, but about a quarter-inch behind the left set). But I just grabbed the edge of my desk and pulled and tried to shake, and nothing happened.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I attached corner braces to the back of the unit and the tabletop and fastened them together with a bolt but I insist on insanely overbuilding things and that grip stuff is probably just fine

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I guess I should add that I currently have an Ikea BEKANT and it's fine but I want to get a monitor arm and I think the desk is just a little too thin for it,* and I want a second Alex anyway for more storage so it seemed like the logical choice. I guess for cord management are you attaching those cord anchors and using zip ties to keep it tidy?

*I had a cheap arm from Monoprice a few years ago and I had to get a wood block to give it enough to clamp onto, although the newer arms from Monoprice look nicer and may work with this desk? They say minimum is 0.4 inches and this desk is basically exactly that, so I'm wary.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Heads up on the Alex units: my local IKEA has been perpetually out of stock on them. Tried for a while to pick one for an organization shuffle in my home office and went with a different plan after month of looking.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ikea seems to be pretty thoroughly hosed due to the pandemic.

As popular as the Ikea tabletop+file cabinets route is, there are better options out there imo. I recently got a pair of filing cabinets and a 71"x30" laminate desk top from a used office furniture dealer for ~$260 total. The cabinets were used, the top was new. They drilled a few holes through the cabinets for me and the top came with self-tapping screws, this thing ain't going anywhere.

This is the exact top I got, but I only paid around $100 for it, they've got a few other sizes, too. I've seen some other office furniture places and a few places online that carry this brand. It's a commercial desk surface and has kind of a plasticy finish, but feels extremely durable, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd post a picture but it's completely covered in crap now due to working from home and not quite figuring out where to put some poo poo. :geno:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Humerus posted:

If you plan for that to be permanen setup it should be pretty easy to use screws through the cabinet top.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Daric posted:

You gonna tell us what they are?

They have a self adhesive backing, you stick them to a surface, and then you run a cable tie through. Lets you anchor cables pretty much wherever you want without damaging the surface.
A nice thing to have when you want to tidy up cable runs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Cable nightmare by the piano at the moment

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nice catte

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

shrike82 posted:

nice catte

ty fam, she's very sweet

here's my other friend and he's also very sweet. if you keep kissing his head he purrs louder and louder

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I finally figured out that you can control how corsair RGB ram behaves when the software is off and the computer is asleep.

The lighting you set with “full software control off” is what it does while asleep.

Out of the box it was green when asleep and 5x as bright.

Like “this is actually a problem for movies” bright lol.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

work replaced my top monitor with a 32" Samsung 4K so here is the new setup

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Room shuffle, now I have Ethernet access to the Internets, reduces latency but not visibly in anything. Small desk not conducive to using multiple computers.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is the model of your rack mount computer there? Looks neat.

I am using my wife’s desk and toggling between work computer and my computer during these trying times and I’m so ready to have more space.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hed posted:

I am using my wife’s desk and toggling between work computer and my computer during these trying times and I’m so ready to have more space.

I have dual monitors and rdp into my work computer and give the work computer its own monitor. My computer runs in the other monitor. Kinda lets me be seamlessly in both computers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hed posted:

It looks like this: https://2.polywell.com/2u-2000s

It is noisy, RTX Voice helps a lot for comms. It's also built a bit fruity, a Quadro RTX 4000 is secured through extra wholes drilled into the case and was quite hot during summer. Apparently you can wedge in a second but I didn't want to risk it and added in a PCIe WiFi card instead. The card is added via a PCIe riser cable which is so fragile it has taping over contact joints to keep it in place, although half the low 16-bit lanes is actually disconnected. The motherboard does not match the case, no room for vertical insertion of cards and nothing to secure horizontally placed ones of any size.

I should be returning it soon as MLB NYC opened this morning.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I had hoped to build a second workspace (next to my sit/stand desk) with an IKEA Gerton top and a couple of Alex drawer units, but the Alexes are back ordered. I received the top. Can anyone suggest an alternative in the 27" tall and narrow category? I don't need all the drawers but some would be nice.

No pics of the current setup since I've just moved in and the "office" is the place where everything is piled up to stage as I unpack into other rooms.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Take a look at secondhand stores around you. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, and the like often have cabinets in them. Bring a tape measure with you to check the height.

I'd also check if their are any used office furniture stores in your area. I've got two near me and they constantly have drawers, cabinets, and legs in stock.

Lastly I'd check Facebook marketplace.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thanks, but I'm not doing any indoor shopping these days, especially second-hand. I wish I could! Stuck with online or contact free stuff (I'm watching my local Buy Nothing group closely).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, but I'm not doing any indoor shopping these days, especially second-hand. I wish I could! Stuck with online or contact free stuff (I'm watching my local Buy Nothing group closely).

Do you have access to a place to fab some stuff together? I ended up replacing a section of my desk with something I fabbed together out of 2x4. I just needed access to a mitre saw and a drill.

Dunno if you have any friends that would let you use their garage for a couple hours but that's another potential option.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!
So finally, posting my setup here after a few months of putting it all together. Once quarantine hit, I realized I needed to adjust my setup as I'd be spending hours on conference calls and other things. I've done a few adjustments with the monitors and arms along with the speakers, moved the Volume adjustment for speakers under the desktop which the actual stand/sit controls are.

So here's the initial setup, 3 27 in. AOCs on the top, 2 on my personal machine, top on my work setup. 3 27 in Curved Sceptres on the bottom which is also my work machine.

The desk is an Autonomous L-shape and I absolutely love it. It has 4 adjustable presets for sitting or standing which allows me to be up and moving about while on calls but can quickly adjust as needed.

Eventually, Amazon had more Sceptres on sale for about 150 a piece so I snapped up there matching ones:

The last thing I'll be picking up will either be the SecretLab Titan SoftWeave edition or the Autonomous Ergo 2, haven't decided which one yet. Happy to hear opinions on these if anyone is using em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sup mousepad buddy.

Lol and I feel luxurious teaching off twin 27 inches with a suface pro running the power point.

Im picturing your setup using my own displays and its making me dizzy.

You must sit kinda far back right?