Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Humerus posted:

This is what I have so far. I'm interested in getting a huuuuuge mousepad but first I want to get a monitor arm to clamp to my desk and give me room under my monitor to put my laptop (which is usually in front of my mousepad). I know the usual recommendation is the Amazon Basics one but there seem to be a never ending supply of random brands like this one that all seem identical and usually have a ton of reviews. Is the Amazon one really going to be worth that much more? Are you paying for the warranty, QC, etc? Does anyone have experience with one of these, or maybe the Monoprice one that's $50?

I didn't feel like paying $240 for three of the amazon basics arms so I bought three identical ones to your link except made by "VIVO." It's been almost a year and I have no issues with sag or gas shock adjustment even after moving them to multiple desk setups and adjusting frequently. I wouldn't say they're premium quality but they're better than I expected for $30 a pop.

It's worth noting that you will have issues with bezel alignment between 27" monitors with the cheapo gas shock arms because their maximum offset from the base is kinda limiting when you angle the display, depending on the depth of your desk. My old 34" desk top was too deep to get everything right so I just put a new desk together with a 24" deep countertop slab and two 27" monitors fit side by side just fine. The amazon basics one has about 5" more total offset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’ve been looking at standing desks, and found a local furniture liquidation place selling 24x48” Fully Jarvis desks with the memory controller and a bamboo top for $399. That’s a pretty good price, right?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 10, 2021

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
That's a very good price, yeah.

Edit : didn't find the 24" on the site, but otherwise those specs is around ~$580 new. They're great desks fwiw!

foutre fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 10, 2021

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I'm in the market for a new computer desk since my current desk is way too small for my setup. IKEA is an option for me, but all of the desks there are sold out at the moment, and I'm not sure if the option I would pick (the Bekant) would work with monitor arms. Does anyone have any experience with using monitor arms on the Bekant? Alternatively, are there any other recommended darker color desks that would support monitor arms?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Argona posted:

I'm in the market for a new computer desk since my current desk is way too small for my setup. IKEA is an option for me, but all of the desks there are sold out at the moment, and I'm not sure if the option I would pick (the Bekant) would work with monitor arms. Does anyone have any experience with using monitor arms on the Bekant? Alternatively, are there any other recommended darker color desks that would support monitor arms?

Look at the counter tops, I run a slab of butcher block with 5 legs.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Is there a decent way to do an articulating keyboard tray with a standing desk? All the options I see appear to be incompatible with the standing desk mechanism in the center.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Argona posted:

I didn't have trouble installing a couple of these cheapo monitor arms on my Ikea Galant desk, which is very similar to the currently sold Ikea Bekant. Though the Bekant is listed as having a thickness of 5/8", whereas I measure a thickness of 3/4" on my Galant. I don't know whether or not this small difference matters.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is there a decent way to do an articulating keyboard tray with a standing desk? All the options I see appear to be incompatible with the standing desk mechanism in the center.

Not sure what you mean by articulating but my desk has a bar on the underside going all the way across. I just used some wood to get the keyboard tray rails to clear it.

.random
May 7, 2007

Kefit posted:

I didn't have trouble installing a couple of these cheapo monitor arms on my Ikea Galant desk, which is very similar to the currently sold Ikea Bekant. Though the Bekant is listed as having a thickness of 5/8", whereas I measure a thickness of 3/4" on my Galant. I don't know whether or not this small difference matters.

Not sure what the Galant is made of but the Bekant is noted as using “A wooden board or fiber board with a honeycomb filling structure made of recycled paper.” (e: Maybe depends on which top you choose?)

Some people have reported issues with clamping monitor arms on honeycomb desks (as it compresses more easily under the clamping force than other materials). Might partly depend on the monitor weight and therefore requisite clamping force v:unsmith:v

.random fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 11, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I'm back to my permanent house from my contract. It's so nice to be able to enjoy my treadmill desk again. I'm hoping in a few years I'll have enough saved to have the house payed off, so I can enjoy all my things on the long term instead of moving place to place and setting up these makeshift office spaces.
The Linus Torvalds video is what inspired me. I love walking slowly because it keeps me awake and engaged.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Functional, but not complete. Gotta finish the room around the desk, then set it up like this again with cable management so it doesn't look cluttered and lovely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Granite Octopus posted:

Got a few bits and pieces to tidy up my dock. I still want to make a new desktop that’s more shallow, this one is way too deep for what I need.

does that speaker sound awful sitting on that metal filing cabinet?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Argona posted:

peep my posts in this thread for what I did, stain an Ikea butcher block and put it on motorized desk legs

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've got the 60 inch Jarvis desk with the bamboo top and the black metal frame. I'd like to put a small pencil drawer on it, maybe 12-16 inches wide. Does anybody have any suggestions for this? It would only be used for pens/paper/sharpies/scissors/etc, so a low weight limit is fine.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if the Fully Jarvis monitor arm is just rebranded from something else? I see things that look similar on Amazon, but the 'max height' specifications are all over the place, or not listed. The Fully lists 19.9". I found this one, but the listing doesn't provide a max-height, that I saw. Someone in the answers says it's around 19" so it should work, I do wish I could find it in black though.

Edit: This VIVO one looks pretty close!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 14, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if the Fully Jarvis monitor arm is just rebranded from something else? I see things that look similar on Amazon, but the 'max height' specifications are all over the place, or not listed. The Fully lists 19.9". I found this one, but the listing doesn't provide a max-height, that I saw. Someone in the answers says it's around 19" so it should work, I do wish I could find it in black though.

Edit: This VIVO one looks pretty close!

It appears to be the same as Monoprice’s higher end “Workstream” models. There’s different arms for different weights, 1 & 2 monitor arms, etc.

Note the warranty is a lot shorter, so take that as you will.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

.random posted:

It appears to be the same as Monoprice’s higher end “Workstream” models. There’s different arms for different weights, 1 & 2 monitor arms, etc.

I can't be bothered to take a pic but I bought and set up this Monoprice arm and it's nice. I guess my monitor is pretty heavy though because I really had to crank up the screw that changes the resistance (or whatever) of the arm that holds the monitor itself. But even using the relatively thin Bekant desk top it's been rock solid, unlike the much cheaper Monoprice non-gas arm I used before. That one couldn't clamp to as thin a desk so I had to use some wood to make it work (which is probably why it wasn't super stable).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

.random posted:

Thank you! Grabbed one of these to go on my new desk!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I definitely recommend the type of arm with the pole instead.
These ones combine horizontal and vertical movement into the same control so changing one will also change the other and doing fine adjustments is much more difficult.
Plus they just don’t go very high. The pole type ones i bought (north bayou) go up 6 inches higher and are much easier to do fine adjustments. It was under 40 dollars as well.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

does that speaker sound awful sitting on that metal filing cabinet?

Nah, it’s very heavy laminated particle board from an old office. I have recently put some books under it to make it the same height as the other speaker

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

For anyone that’s done butcher block desks, is there an oil I can throw on it that’ll dry overnight?
Or should I just not oil it?

I’m getting a 6ft birch butcher block, but I don’t have the space in my current home to stain/finish it for at least the next 6 months that I need the desk.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Tung oil is my recommendation, but it doesn’t dry overnight. I’d just leave it unfinished if you can’t let it sit for a few days

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 16, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Canna Happy posted:

Tung oil is my recommendation, but it doesn’t dry overnight. I’d just leave it unfinished if you can’t let it sit for a few days

Ok thanks. I keep reading that it’s gonna gently caress up the wood and warp like crazy if I don’t oil it so I just do wanna buy this expensive block of wood and gently caress it up.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 16, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

Cautionary tale: even if you do get a butcher block desktop, do not - I repeat, do not - use your desk for your computer in addition to your butchering.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The oil’s really only going to prevent water damage. The butcher block will be pretty stable and is unlikely to move significantly. Just don’t get it wet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Welcome to my prison:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where to post this, but I’m looking for a monitor arm to go with my huskygang desk. Ideally it’d be silver or white, and sturdy enough to prevent vibrations from using the keyboard transferring to the monitor.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not sure where to post this, but I’m looking for a monitor arm to go with my huskygang desk. Ideally it’d be silver or white, and sturdy enough to prevent vibrations from using the keyboard transferring to the monitor.

I've had the amazon basic premium arm on mine for a bit now and its great, but it only comes in black. Its a rebranded Ergotron LX, which does come in a white or a polished version. It was a toss up between this and the Jarvis Fully arm, which is cheaper but from what I could tell had decent reviews (and comes in white/silver).

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I've spent some time trying to get this together but the space deffo needs works.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Cheese Thief posted:

I've spent some time trying to get this together but the space deffo needs works.

oh poo poo I use your wallpaper as the background on my terminal window

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Head Bee Guy posted:

oh poo poo I use your wallpaper as the background on my terminal window

Yea, the purple of that wallpaper is quite nice as a border between and around open windows.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
A while back I got the Mackie CR-3 because I thought they looked cool and sounded great. Had no idea they were that popular. Then I bumped one of them off the desk and now it doesn't work.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cage-free egghead posted:

A while back I got the Mackie CR-3 because I thought they looked cool and sounded great. Had no idea they were that popular. Then I bumped one of them off the desk and now it doesn't work.

Tbh they’re kinda well known for not lasting very long- admittedly you’re in a bit of edge case territory

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My Mackies are about to die, and I know this because I need to tap the speaker to resuscitate them when they start to fizzle out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

My Mackies are about to die, and I know this because I need to tap the speaker to resuscitate them when they start to fizzle out.

Yeah, literally every example of CR’s I’ve seen either from somebody I know in real life or heard about from goons died within about 2 years. Hard to get better sound and features for the money tho.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, literally every example of CR’s I’ve seen either from somebody I know in real life or heard about from goons died within about 2 years. Hard to get better sound and features for the money tho.

The Micca PB42X are pretty solid and cheap. I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and they're still working and sounding great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

The Micca PB42X are pretty solid and cheap. I've had mine for nearly 5 years now and they're still working and sounding great.

Miccas are great- their passives are fantastic if you’re on a serious space/cash budget and want to throw together a solid two or five channel setup.

For a while CRs were one of the better, cheaper ways to get all-in-one desktop/TV audio that had Bluetooth built in. That was a big selling point. I remember at one point they were like the best easy-to-find desktop speakers with built in Bluetooth under like $300-400

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Been slowly working on my office since we moved to this house back in September. I need some shelves for the walls for paint supplies and to get some of these storage boxes out from underneath me, but otherwise I love my space. Significantly better than back when I was stuck in the living room of my old apartment.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Three Olives posted:

Welcome to my prison:

What is that little ringlight/camera thing, and what is that monitor...window? On the other wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looks like it's a ring light on a webcam and a censored portrait TV, likely showing schedules and emails above the weather.