Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

niss posted:

I have the A legs and am very happy with them.. One advantage to the A legs vs the T is with the A I was able to add a rear facing leg in the middle of the extensions for a bit more reinforcement, not that it really needed it, but it made me feel better. By doing this with just half of the A I didn't loose any openness on the front of the desk.

Most people asked ITT have stressed picking the T-Leg over the A but I don't have any good experience to give an opinion on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Here is a picture of my setup, I'm happy with it, still want to put some led lighting on the underside of the shelves, and eventually get three like monitors.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

niss posted:

Here is a picture of my setup, I'm happy with it, still want to put some led lighting on the underside of the shelves, and eventually get three like monitors.

This is going to sound strange, but that floor is awesome.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BoyBlunder posted:

This is going to sound strange, but that floor is awesome.

Thanks, I wasn't too fond of it when I moved in, and really wanted to put down hardwood. However, once I got the room painted and furniture in, it has really grown on me, and I have no plans to change it now. It's tile if your curious.

niss fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 24, 2011

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Work desk, in a basement next to our core.

At least I get a wind

oh.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

niss posted:

Just curious, where'd you get the desk?

Its looking more and more like I'm just going to build one, but I really like what you have going on there.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like Ikea Galant's that have been daisy chained together. It is very impressive.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Most people asked ITT have stressed picking the T-Leg over the A but I don't have any good experience to give an opinion on.

I have A legs. They are great if you only get one desk. If you have more than one desk and are trying to align the desks' heights, it's twice as hard to get 8 legs all at the right height instead of 4.

I have 2 desks and I found A legs great till I had to adjust the height of them, and getting both desks to match was hard.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Combo posted:

Just curious, where'd you get the desk?

Its looking more and more like I'm just going to build one, but I really like what you have going on there.

It's a Galant, IKEA didn't have the exact config I wanted pre-built, so I just ordered all the pieces separately and arranged it accordingly. Consists of one Right Corner Desk, 2 Extension tops, 1 Extension top quarter-round, and 1 Extension top half-round.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Fatal posted:

oh.

Is that bird poop or is it just dirty? Either seems plausible.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

niss posted:

It's a Galant, IKEA didn't have the exact config I wanted pre-built, so I just ordered all the pieces separately and arranged it accordingly. Consists of one Right Corner Desk, 2 Extension tops, 1 Extension top quarter-round, and 1 Extension top half-round.

Unfortunately I'm not near an Ikea, so I'll be building my own instead. Of course I've been saying this since February.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Combo posted:

Unfortunately I'm not near an Ikea, so I'll be building my own instead. Of course I've been saying this since February.

I wasn't either.. don't ask how much I paid in shipping. It hurt :suicide:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

niss posted:

I wasn't either.. don't ask how much I paid in shipping. It hurt :suicide:

Yeah I looked into it, which is why I don't even consider it an option. There is some company around here that apparently pools orders from people and makes regular trips up to the nearest one (5 hours away) which is cheaper than Ikea shipping but still more than I want to spend on a desk. Even if it turns out ghetto looking I'd rather build one myself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Funny, I tend to skim this thread, but I've seen a bunch of boasts recommending the A leg and none recommending the T. From what I've seen elsewhere, though, both are perfectly serviceable.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 24, 2011

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Combo posted:

Yeah I looked into it, which is why I don't even consider it an option. There is some company around here that apparently pools orders from people and makes regular trips up to the nearest one (5 hours away) which is cheaper than Ikea shipping but still more than I want to spend on a desk. Even if it turns out ghetto looking I'd rather build one myself.

My previous desk at my condo I built myself, nice big L shaped desk. Used a countertop for the surface and had it wall mounted. I'll find some pictures tonight and post it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't trust wall mounts. What if I want to have 3 big gently caress off CRTs on it, as well as the occasional bit of rumpy pumpy?

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

So for the chair, I ended up going with a sale chair at Office Depot.

The True Innovations High Back Bonded Leather Chair, as it was originally $200, on sale for $119.

With the way I go through chairs, I figure it'll last me at least a year or two before I wear out all the padding and need a new one. At that point, hopefully I'll have my own house, and I can start buying nicer things that I won't have to move around year after year.

Steakandchips posted:

I don't trust wall mounts. What if I want to have 3 big gently caress off CRTs on it, as well as the occasional bit of rumpy pumpy?

Who in the world buys CRTs anymore?

CubanRefugee fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 25, 2011

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

CubanRefugee posted:

So for the chair, I ended up going with a sale chair at Office Depot.

The True Innovations High Back Bonded Leather Chair, as it was originally $200, on sale for $119.

With the way I go through chairs, I figure it'll last me at least a year or two before I wear out all the padding and need a new one. At that point, hopefully I'll have my own house, and I can start buying nicer things that I won't have to move around year after year.

The sort of bloke who's desk now needs a 35 stone lass to make his desk buckle, opposed to a 9 stone one before.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Here is a pic of the desk I built at my condo, this was taken when I had it for sale, so I didn't have the dual monitors and what not on it. It was plenty strong, buddy of mine made one just like it and actually stood on it and walked the entire length of his to test it out. Think it cost me a total of $150, which most of that was the desk surface itself.

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD
It's a good thing that I dropped my laptop, or you'd be seeing a picture of my bed.

If you're curious about my monitor, I'm using DWM, with a terminal showing Finch and IRSSI on the right.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Archduke posted:

It's a good thing that I dropped my laptop, or you'd be seeing a picture of my bed.

So you lay on the floor while surfing the interwebs?

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD

Moey posted:

So you lay on the floor while surfing the interwebs?

I'm lazy. :p

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CubanRefugee posted:

If you are doing broadcast video editing it is pretty much a requirement.

akai
May 25, 2011

thanks star :)

akai fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 26, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't use that image host. Use imgur.

http://imgur.com/

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CubanRefugee posted:

People who like the best monitors you can get, of course. :smug:

Seriously though, show me an LCD with no input lag, zero ghosting, pure black blacks (infinite contrast), the ability to display at any rate between 60 up to 120 Hz, AND that looks good in all resolutions and I'll stop using my 24 inch, 16:10 aspect ratio Sony FW900 CRT monitor. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 26, 2011

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Djarum posted:

If you are doing broadcast video editing it is pretty much a requirement.

So what you are saying is, almost noone at all.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

GreatGreen posted:

People who like the best monitors you can get, of course. :smug:

Seriously though, show me an LCD with no input lag, zero ghosting, pure black blacks (infinite contrast), the ability to display at any rate between 60 up to 120 Hz, AND that looks good in all resolutions and I'll stop using my 24 inch, 16:10 aspect ratio Sony FW900 CRT monitor. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got.

Show me a 24" 16:10 CRT that can fit on a desk and leave room for a mouse, keyboard, and palmrest in front of it, weighs less than 75 lbs, and also comes with 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, component video, dolby digital passthru, and an OTA HD tuner in addition to the bog standard DVI connection, and then I'll stop using my Samsung T240HD. :smug:

EvilMuppet posted:

So what you are saying is, almost noone at all.

Less than no one at all, the last few broadcast trucks I've seen were all LCD screens except for a couple big plasmas. Graphics were worked up on a Mac Pro with a cinema display. The only CRTs they were carrying were the viewfinders on the cameras.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
au projecteur

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Moved into a private office a while back. Hated the old school desk at first, but being away from people makes up for it bigtime.

z0ratio sexhaver posted:

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

I never posted a picture of my new workspace as a data center technician for a large healthcare organization.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I just want to plug google SketchUp. I'm finding it really helpful (creating my ideal setup):

Their instructional videos are great too. I picked it up in about an hour.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KingEup posted:

I just want to plug google SketchUp. I'm finding it really helpful (creating my ideal setup):

That's really cool. It's been my experience that 3D modeling is a very tedious and non-intuitive process though. I'd like to get into it but it seems like it would be inefficient to use 3D modeling as a kind of sketchbook.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make that scene, and did you model the chair yourself?

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

KingEup posted:

Since you posted nearly my exact desk, I figure I should post my work desk. Although my iMac does appear to be on the wrong side running the wrong OS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that a 20"?

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that a 20"?

I believe so. I was happy to get the iMac compared to my last machine at work. The iMac at least has more than 1 gb or ram and 1 CPU (seriously lame for the kind of work we do).

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Grimey posted:

Since you posted nearly my exact desk, I figure I should post my work desk. Although my iMac does appear to be on the wrong side running the wrong OS.

It that the choc mini? I thought it wasn't supposed to work well with Mac OS due to it showing up as multiple keyboards or something

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

ClosedBSD posted:

It that the choc mini? I thought it wasn't supposed to work well with Mac OS due to it showing up as multiple keyboards or something

Yes that is a choc mini, but I use Linux so no issues. I do have a Mac partition that I booted into to see how crippled the keyboard would actually be, and it met my expectations.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!
I don't have a desk at home, but here's my work desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

GreatGreen posted:

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make that scene, and did you model the chair yourself?

About 15 minutes for the scene (no experience with 3D modelling prior to this in my life). Once you grasp a few basic concepts (they really hammer these home in the tutorial vids) it's incredibly intuitive

Didn't do the chair (Aeron), the drawers (an ikea model) or iMac - sketchup has a 'get model' search built right in which lets you download from a huge database of user uploaded models.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 27, 2011