Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

insidius posted:

So question.

Is it possible to get monitor stands that will allow me to swing one monitor out of the way and put another in its place?

I have a PC hooked up to 30 inch Dell for my gaming needs and I have another 27 inch (Currently a TB display but might change this if the above is possible) that I use
for all my work related stuff with my macbook.

If I could just swing the 30inch in when I want to game then back out when I want to work or study etc that would be amazing.

*edit*

It appears the above is possible but I am having trouble finding one that could cope with anything over 27"

It's based on weight so if your 27" weighs less than the stands capacity then you're good to go. However, the stands are pretty expensive. This one holds up to 30lbs but it's almost $120. And the ones that hold up 20lbs are around the same price. Buying two would mean $220 (math fail) $240 just for the convenience of swapping out a 3" difference in monitor size. Personally, I think ThinkFear has the most cost effective solution.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Working with somewhat limited space. 2x Flatron IPS235s, the one on the left hooked up to my desktop and the one on the right hooked up to the MBP hidden behind it. I use Synergy to share the M+KB. Don't really care about wiring.

chrome taco
Apr 14, 2005

I'm no meteorologist, but I'm pretty sure it's rainin' bitches

My very humble abode. Absolutely loving the U2913WM.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chrome taco posted:

My very humble abode. Absolutely loving the U2913WM.

Why is it so yellow?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

IUG posted:

Why is it so yellow?

I'm guessing Flux.

chrome taco
Apr 14, 2005

I'm no meteorologist, but I'm pretty sure it's rainin' bitches
Aye, it's Flux.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I wouldn't recommend setting Flux to ruin your colors that badly during the day, but maybe that's just personal prefernce. I use 6500k during the day (with natural light) and 3400K at night, but yours looks like 3400K in broad daylight. Brutal.

edit: may as well attach a lovely phone picture since I've already shitposted

I need to buy a real desk

Kegwen fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 20, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Thanks for the heads up about Flux. Although unfortunately I can't use them at work on night shift which would have been actually perfect (24/7 helpdesk) as we use the one device that doesn't support colour temp changes, HP USB docking stations with the Displaylink graphics adapter.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poor student here, living on tech from 2007 and free poo poo from the local tip/library/neighbours garage.

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
Cardboard monitor stand with dank-assed monitor paired with a walmart teller's monitor on a book? Tangle of wires? Donkey Kong? Are those cd-rs? Motherfucker... Do you know what thread this is? Three Olives is gonna poo poo.

p.s. Nice doily.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You forgot to mention my ferret party photo and stack of dragonballz :ssj:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Kegwen posted:

I wouldn't recommend setting Flux to ruin your colors that badly during the day, but maybe that's just personal prefernce. I use 6500k during the day (with natural light) and 3400K at night, but yours looks like 3400K in broad daylight. Brutal.

edit: may as well attach a lovely phone picture since I've already shitposted

I need to buy a real desk

That desk is perfect- those things rock! If the expanded foam bugs you, put a tablecloth or something over it. If you need a writing surface, find a clipboard or just throw a big piece of wood on top, preferably an Ikea tabletop, but I have a friend with a 50's solid-core wooden door on top of his.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

sports posted:

That desk is perfect- those things rock! If the expanded foam bugs you, put a tablecloth or something over it. If you need a writing surface, find a clipboard or just throw a big piece of wood on top, preferably an Ikea tabletop, but I have a friend with a 50's solid-core wooden door on top of his.

My biggest annoyance is that it's an uneven surface that slants in towards the center, but maybe an Ikea tabletop would help settle that issue. Notice the folded up piece of paper under the vertical monitor? :(

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Kegwen posted:

My biggest annoyance is that it's an uneven surface that slants in towards the center, but maybe an Ikea tabletop would help settle that issue. Notice the folded up piece of paper under the vertical monitor? :(

If you're going to buy the tabletop just spend the extra 40-50 dollars and buy some legs for it too.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Kegwen posted:

My bad, didn't realize you had the one that is split down the middle. I've seen people wedge that seam between the two surfaces to help alleviate some of the sag- or stick bungee cords along the bottom to string the table up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I figured I'd ask you guys as there is where I've seen a bit of desktop discussion going on.

What do you all think of this vs getting a galant, other than the price difference. I'm looking for a corner type desk so I can move around, I'm hoping I'll get work from home soon, and my current desk just isn't cutting it.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured I'd ask you guys as there is where I've seen a bit of desktop discussion going on.

What do you all think of this vs getting a galant, other than the price difference. I'm looking for a corner type desk so I can move around, I'm hoping I'll get work from home soon, and my current desk just isn't cutting it.

The Galant is better in all respects. Cable management, leg room, flexibility, upgradable parts...

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Post your (actual) Galants!

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

WorkingStiff posted:

The Galant is better in all respects. Cable management, leg room, flexibility, upgradable parts...

...fingerprints and other assorted nastinesses that get on glass top desks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Postal posted:

...fingerprints and other assorted nastinesses that get on glass top desks
It's all the same things that get on other types of desks except you see it and are motivated to clean it instead of smearing around your own sweaty Doritos Locos Taco filth until you move out

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.
Here's my glass Galant. I finally mounted an iMac to an arm clamped to the desk, and spent some time cleaning up the wires so you can't see them at all. It looks awesome. I think the white smoked glass on the Galant is quite a bit nicer looking than clear glass is. It's better at hiding fingerprints and stuff, but it's still shiny glass.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

chimz posted:

I finally mounted an iMac to an arm clamped to the desk, and spent some time cleaning up the wires so you can't see them at all.

You have to show me how you did this. Very, very sleek and clean.

Wires. :suicide:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Maybe I just need to update my glasses prescription but how the hell do you guys read on monitors that are all the way at the back of your desks? My desk is the same depth as a galant and I tend to keep my 24" monitor a few inches back from my keyboard, which itself is almost right at the front of my desk. Am I sitting all wrong and dumb?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Mitsune posted:

You have to show me how you did this. Very, very sleek and clean.

One carefully chosen camera angle and lots and lots of zipties.

I ziptied some power strips to the metal frame which helped considerably with the cabling, and then sort of wedged and ziptied an Ikea wire holder into place. It's a bit janky but works remarkably well, despite it being originally designed to screw into the underside of a wooden desk. I could probably be a bit cleaner about the cables under the desk but I keep re-wiring them and don't wan't to ziptie them all down quite yet.

Here's the arm holding the iMac. I put cardboard between the metal clamp and the underside of the desk to spread out the pressure.

I bet could get rid of even more wires if I used Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet and didn't have my laptop hooked up for Target Display Mode to the iMac.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

ThinkFear posted:

Why not just use one monitor with two inputs or a kvm?

I did this.

Its not the optimal solution due to my work but to be honest neither was that optimal.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

chimz posted:

I could probably be a bit cleaner about the cables under the desk but I keep re-wiring them and don't wan't to ziptie them all down quite yet.

Velcro.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

chimz posted:

One carefully chosen camera angle and lots and lots of zipties.

Thanks for the photos. Very sleek.

Is this the official Galant wire organizer or the Ikea one? My desk is locked in place by two shelves, so I can't disassemble my Galant for the add-on. :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Mitsune posted:

Is this the official Galant wire organizer or the Ikea one? My desk is locked in place by two shelves, so I can't disassemble my Galant for the add-on. :(

Ikea = Galant???

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Maybe the person meant a generic Ikea wire organizer vs. one made by Ikea specifically for their Galant desk. Maybe.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

prom candy posted:

Maybe I just need to update my glasses prescription but how the hell do you guys read on monitors that are all the way at the back of your desks? My desk is the same depth as a galant and I tend to keep my 24" monitor a few inches back from my keyboard, which itself is almost right at the front of my desk. Am I sitting all wrong and dumb?

Sounds like you do need to get new glasses - ergonomically speaking, you want your monitor 16-24" from your face at a minimum - which is about how deep most of these desks are.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Misogynist posted:

except you see it and are motivated to clean it

That was my point. It's clean if I can't see it, right?

quote:

instead of smearing around your own sweaty Doritos Locos Taco filth until you move out

Dennis Nedry?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Cleaned up my desk a bunch, got rid of a lot of the tacky stuff of my roommates (Aquaman action figure, Pokeball, Pokemon mini things, USB mini-fridge, Skyrim and Pokemon posters that were folded and not rolled up), as well as some dumb thing I had (hand grenade, bullet casings, two haphazardly placed old video cards that I tried to made a decoration but ended up just being clutter).

For reference, here's the old one:

Also cleaned out up all the cords inside my computer.

Before:

After:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now grab a can of air and go to town :cool:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Martytoof posted:

Now grab a can of air and go to town :cool:

And a vacuum/dust mask.

My house gets dusty as poo poo too for no explicable reason. I have to do this once every few months at least.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kmart desk, lamp from Art Van, Staples chair with the arms removed, $100 Acer monitor, 13" rMBP and a Lenovo T400.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Mitsune posted:

You don't have to add on anything. Just tie wrap your cables to the support beams on the bottom of the desk.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Staples chair with the arms removed

They make special chairs for this problem :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ganon posted:

They make special chairs for this problem :v:

Yea, that's his problem, he needs a special chair :btroll:

Actually, I take the arms off because they will ruin a cheap desk if you smack them together too many times.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Hiyoshi posted:

You don't have to add on anything. Just tie wrap your cables to the support beams on the bottom of the desk.

I'm forever a fan of these. They're cheap and re-usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Kmart desk, lamp from Art Van, Staples chair with the arms removed, $100 Acer monitor, 13" rMBP and a Lenovo T400.

This explains everything.