Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Hah, I take a screenshot once a month of my desktop for the past several years. But I had some really old screenshots back from when I was in high school so like 2002-2004ish or whatever. Just a taste:

lmao I was into Penny-Arcade jesus christ kill me

Somebody is due a new av I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm the Norton Protected Recycle Bin

Oh my god I remember that poo poo

Did everyone at some point have Norton SystemWorks or whatever it's called on their computer or something? I remember it had a really impressive popup and ad blocker built in and I also remember the recycle bin having two empty options; one did the regular Windows thing and the other was Norton's super special magical empty recycle bin option. Good times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I saw the UT desktop icon and I was like "I wonder if I still have that somewhere." Turns out I have to GoG version in my downloads folder. :getin:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

I saw the UT desktop icon and I was like "I wonder if I still have that somewhere." Turns out I have to GoG version in my downloads folder. :getin:

Too lazy to take a pic but a few years ago I saw a guy on kijiji selling a GOTY copy of UT, complete in box, for $5 so I went and grabbed it. Thats one physical copy of a game I'm glad to have

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Granite Octopus posted:

Wait what, there was a Penny Arcade app that put an icon in your tray? What on earth for?

It was a glorified RSS checker so whenever a new strip or news item was posted it would light up and notify you lol

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

New desk arrived a few days ago :getin:

I've been busy this week and haven't gotten a chance to set everything up yet. Today is a super apartment cleaning day, and then I'll try to put the desk together before it gets late.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

May of '99 is the oldest I still have

Also found this treasure from 2002 in that folder:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
These old screenshots are really fun. It also makes me realise how much crappy software we all used to use. I think my installed stuff these days is generally of much higher quality and I'm less willing to install dodgy crap. Although I'm sure people still have Norton and all sorts of other rubbish installed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Guess what date I made these (to share with a friend on IRC who couldn't load any drat thing)

My oldest screenshot is Linux...boy KDE has come a long way since April 1999.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I made some changes to my desk layout. I racked up the majority of my audio gear and my MITX computer. I just need to get a patch bay or something to route all my audio.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

c0burn posted:

These old screenshots are really fun. It also makes me realise how much crappy software we all used to use. I think my installed stuff these days is generally of much higher quality and I'm less willing to install dodgy crap. Although I'm sure people still have Norton and all sorts of other rubbish installed.

I agree, I really like seeing these. Here are the oldest desktops and actual desktops I have from around the time I joined this stupid place.

Old rear end mozilla, BCDC++. I still use Winamp.

The early days of BitTorrent, task trays filled with BT icons, system slowing to an absolute crawl when running more than 20. Ars Technica #arsclan IRC!

Two computers for two Everquest accounts, naturally. Pulse 424 speakers! I miss those things.

The anime phase got much worse than this before it got better. Anime sober now for about a decade, god willing. That was the last CRT I ever owned, what a beast. Cornerstone P1750! I still have those Sennheisers HD580s, I just took them to work along with a Headroom Little amp yesterday in fact, still sound great.

Edit, current desk setup I've been working on this last month:

And the new office at work:

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 2, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'd be more ashamed of the vape than the Cowboy Bebop poster.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Coolnezzz posted:

The early days of BitTorrent, task trays filled with BT icons, system slowing to an absolute crawl when running more than 20. Ars Technica #arsclan IRC!

Unironically requesting the badger wallpaper. It's great!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I wish I still had some old desktop screenshots. Pretty sure I lost whatever I had long ago. The oldest files I still have are some old MP3's from an early 2000's Dell laptop.

I got my new desk put together last night! It looks great and it's sturdy as hell. Plenty of room underneath for my PCs and legs, and it doesn't take up valuable space from the dining area. It's also a darker shade of brown than what stock pictures show, which is great because the dark goes better with our furniture. Pictures soon!

I'll need to take care of the cable management soon. Maybe tonight!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 2, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Budgie posted:

Unironically requesting the badger wallpaper. It's great!

https://imgur.com/gallery/NAjnfyX

You know it's an old meme when the wallpaper only exists in 1024x768.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

As long as we're bringing up history.

Backstory: Parents went out of town for two months, summer of 2003. Naturally, LAN party in the basement.

There's a 733MHz G4 Mac -- I don't even know why it was there as I didn't game on it. Can't remember the specs of the PC, but it appears to be running XP. Yes, those are Boston Acoustics speakers and sub and, to this day, I think they're badass. The 1950's green chair on the left is holding a TV so my buddy could game and watch TV at the same time. Speaking of which, I think those green chairs came from my late great-grandmother. Naturally, a carton of Marlboro Lights and I think I spot some SoCo in the background. 5 computers total on a ping pong table and we'd play TFC relentlessly for hours, day or night. We were better than anyone should ever be at TFC.

When we got bored, we had the projector on the other side of the basement:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

telarium4 posted:

As long as we're bringing up history.

Backstory: Parents went out of town for two months, summer of 2003. Naturally, LAN party in the basement.

This could have been me. It's crazy what we used to do with CRTs and mum's kitchen table.

(I still have LANs occasionally but have to borrow trestles since nobody wants to even sit three to a table.)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the closest thing i have to an old desktop screenshot is this one from like '07 or something lol. it wasn't even my computer, it was the Win2000 "family computer" despite the fact that we all pretty much had our own PCs at this point. most of the games are ones my dad played, same with the Sony Clie HotSync software (authentic as gently caress)

and then for nostalgia's sake i found this insane windows longhorn theme for windows 10 so i tried it and it's pure lol

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

the closest thing i have to an old desktop screenshot is this one from like '07 or something lol. it wasn't even my computer, it was the Win2000 "family computer" despite the fact that we all pretty much had our own PCs at this point. most of the games are ones my dad played, same with the Sony Clie HotSync software (authentic as gently caress)

and then for nostalgia's sake i found this insane windows longhorn theme for windows 10 so i tried it and it's pure lol

That's hot as hell dude but you should take those icons out of fences and just randomly scatter them all over your screen and change your recycle bin noise to a kickflip landing perfectly and the guy going "Yes!". That's "authentico".

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Keep these 90s and early 00's desktop pics coming, they're potent nostalgia fuel!

Shame that I've never bothered archiving pics of computing systems I've used.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Not mine but my buddy's, we were both running GeoShell, rainmeter, winamp and probably listening to the same stuff so this is as close as I get. Lovin the 2000s teenager music and grayscale teenager photography, the 4:3 rez, and high school teen reading assignment. Teens!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mofabio posted:

Not mine but my buddy's, we were both running GeoShell, rainmeter, winamp and probably listening to the same stuff so this is as close as I get. Lovin the 2000s teenager music and grayscale teenager photography, the 4:3 rez, and high school teen reading assignment. Teens!

God, I remember being obsessed with shell replacemwents like GeoShell and LiteStep for a couple of years. BBlean as well. They were all universally buggy and poo poo, but fun to play with.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I miss just how insanely customizable windows used to be. Vista and beyond just killed it right off.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

c0burn posted:

God, I remember being obsessed with shell replacemwents like GeoShell and LiteStep for a couple of years. BBlean as well. They were all universally buggy and poo poo, but fun to play with.

Stardock or ObjectDock or whatever other kernel replacement programs that company made were pretty legit but the farther down the rabbit hole you went, the more unstable everything became. Windows 7 and beyond really didn't require kernel mods as that was the first OS that didn't look like total poo poo from 1995 and when MS started listening to users about UI stuff.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

windows 7 actually had themes you could install, it just wasn't well documented. i adored soft7 back in the day

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Windows 7 was the last Windows to really allow you to go ham with the themes. To say that theming died with Vista is patently incorrect. It wasn't until Win8 rolled around with all its changes to DWM and its underlying hooks to force the Metro UI down our throats that it really started to die.

Windows 10 has some pretty decent custom themes, but more and more of them break with each feature update and hardly any of them get updated to newer versions. I actually paid $3 for a Vista Aero theme because the guy actually spends the time to not only update his theme for each new update, but will literally release custom UXTheme and AeroGlass patches to ensure that they work properly. Worth it for a huge idiot nerd like me.

I would love to go back to 7 just to have a really authentic Win98/classic Windows theme, but with a Ryzen 1700X build, it just isn't feasible without bending over backwards to find compatibility patches for all the hardware.

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh speaking of litestep. Here was me in
2006 when I had nothing going on in my life but this:

Edit: lol I think I was trying to brag about having Andy Baio and Aaron Jasinski in my contacts list. Dang kid.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Oh boy, Longhorn is something else. There is or at least used to be a whole community built around running and documenting various in-dev builds of Longhorn, it's so drat weird. I think some people even started using them as their daily driver which is absolutely insane. I'm not surprised somebody decided they really wanted the experience replicated on Win 10, but Christ that's sinfully ugly

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ruflux posted:

Oh boy, Longhorn is something else. There is or at least used to be a whole community built around running and documenting various in-dev builds of Longhorn, it's so drat weird. I think some people even started using them as their daily driver which is absolutely insane. I'm not surprised somebody decided they really wanted the experience replicated on Win 10, but Christ that's sinfully ugly

I still really like 4074's ctrl alt del screen

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

At the time XP was ancient and there was nothing else on the horizon. People did the same with Windows Server 2003 and 2000. It's not that weird, some people just love running "bleeding edge" beta software. They do with iOS and Android previews and the whole Early Access deal with games.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aero glass was amazing and I’m pissed it’s not in Win10

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Jigoku San posted:

At the time XP was ancient and there was nothing else on the horizon. People did the same with Windows Server 2003 and 2000. It's not that weird, some people just love running "bleeding edge" beta software. They do with iOS and Android previews and the whole Early Access deal with games.

See, that's one thing. But I'm talking about people using old Longhorn builds after Vista was released. And 7. And 8. And even loving 10. I guess it's neat to see people documenting old crap like this (and I do think some of MS's plans for Longhorn were neat, like the new file system setup they had going), but at some point it starts to feel like obsession more than anything.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I still use Win7...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rasselas posted:

I still use Win7...

same

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rasselas posted:

I still use Win7...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

7 is the new XP, and that's not a good thing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

landgrabber posted:

7 is the new XP, and that's not a good thing

Yep, all the lovely enterprise software vendors didn't learn a loving thing, they just bodged enough to get things working properly on 7 then went back to being lazy useless shits.

If the next version of Windows 10 disables the ability to disable UAC I'd be a happy man. Force the useless fucks to fix their broke-rear end trash.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Ruflux posted:

It's not even a good replica of the Longhorn theme even at the last build before the reset. It's a horrifying mishmash of the multicolored top shell from pre-reset and the aero elements that came with the Vista RC. Truly horrifying. For someone who literally can't stop loving around with system files like me, it was fun to give it a test whirl.

The plain Vista Aero theme is far more accurate and usable than the Longhorn or even the Win7 themes that are out there, that's for sure.

Josh Lyman posted:

Aero glass was amazing and I’m pissed it’s not in Win10

Good news if you care about theme mods! AeroGlass works great - just as long as you are running any Windows version that isn't the latest 1803. Every feature update fucks it all up and it has to basically get re-coded. There is a beta for 1803 available but it leaves a command prompt window in your taskbar at all times that you can't close or hide with a taskbar tweaker.

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2018

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I just want the ability to have my start button at the bottom if I put the taskbar vertically on one side of the screen. So stupid you can’t do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I remember I used to have to change the icon for Nesticle because I hated looking at the hairy balls.