Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I got a Steelcase Criterion for 60 or so bucks quite a few years ago. The thing has held up remarkably well.

I guess you could try Craigslist, but its been dying a slow death for a year at least now. Facebook Marketplace however would be another source to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I sat in a Steelcase 454 at the machine shop I worked at, and it was fantastic. I liked it more than most of the "new" office chairs we were getting.

Looks like they can be had for $50 or so:
https://www.choiceofficefurniture.net/vintage-steelcase-454-312-office-chairs

Apparently more than 3,000,000 of 'em were made from 1977 - 2000, and they seemed practically indestructible. You might be able to find some locally even.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Gaming and making games and work station:

Desktop connected to top monitor, Razer Blade 15 below. I run Barrier to share the main keyboard and mouse between the two when I'm at home (which is basically all the time because pandemic)

Desktop is a ryzen 5 build that lives in a CoolerMaster Silencio under the desk, which I love because I can't hear it running even when gaming.

Need to get some foam wedges for under the speakers. They're a little boomy being so close to the wall right now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What's the keyboard?

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

It's an IKBC F87

https://www.ikbckeyboard.com/product-page/f87

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that a Doomtree reference on the left, with the "No Kings" on it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any desk buying tips? Should I just be browsing r/battlestations and looking for ones I like? I would like a longer one.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KingKapalone posted:

Any desk buying tips? Should I just be browsing r/battlestations and looking for ones I like? I would like a longer one.

Depends on budget and what features you want, I suppose. How long is "long"? I have a 6'x3' electric sit/stand from OfficeDepot (Magellan brand, iirc) that was about $400. I think if you're willing to perform some DIY that you can get hand-crank sit/stand for less than half that, though.

Edit: For the discerning Goon on a Budget (TM) that doesn't care about aesthetics, a folding Lifetime table from Costco or something would probably work pretty well too. Although, I think the plastic might warp over time from heavy things sitting on it for too long. Could always put a sheet of plywood or something over the top to distribute weight if you were having issues with it sagging, though.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

IUG posted:

Is that a Doomtree reference on the left, with the "No Kings" on it?

Uh good question. It's a page out of the program from Combo Breaker 2018, a Midwest fighting game tournament. all their swag is full of No gods, No coast, No kings. I'll have to look up this Doomtree

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

If you're in the US and have an IKEA nearby, they've been clearancing out their last-gen sit/stand frames (both electric and manual) for ridiculously low prices. BYO desktop.

Don't know if that would be any longer than your current desk (I think the frames are designed for a 64" top? You could probably overhang that a bit if needed), but it's a hell of a deal if your local store has frames left and you want a motorized sit/stand setup.

They're ugly workplace silver, but they're also like a hundred bucks. :shrug:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Zarin posted:

Depends on budget and what features you want, I suppose. How long is "long"? I have a 6'x3' electric sit/stand from OfficeDepot (Magellan brand, iirc) that was about $400. I think if you're willing to perform some DIY that you can get hand-crank sit/stand for less than half that, though.

Edit: For the discerning Goon on a Budget (TM) that doesn't care about aesthetics, a folding Lifetime table from Costco or something would probably work pretty well too. Although, I think the plastic might warp over time from heavy things sitting on it for too long. Could always put a sheet of plywood or something over the top to distribute weight if you were having issues with it sagging, though.

I currently have an older Ikea Galant T frame with a 47x31.5" Galant desktop. I think there are options that are 75-80". I don't really need the stand option and certainly want something nicer than a plastic Costco table. The most common thing on Reddit looks to be the Alex drawers + Karlby countertop laid across them.

One thing about my current desk is that it's only about 0.5" thick and I'm not sure if that's what leads to my monitors sometimes shaking a bit when I type fast. This was when they were on stands or now on a gas pressure mount.

Molten Llama posted:

If you're in the US and have an IKEA nearby, they've been clearancing out their last-gen sit/stand frames (both electric and manual) for ridiculously low prices. BYO desktop.

Don't know if that would be any longer than your current desk (I think the frames are designed for a 64" top? You could probably overhang that a bit if needed), but it's a hell of a deal if your local store has frames left and you want a motorized sit/stand setup.

They're ugly workplace silver, but they're also like a hundred bucks. :shrug:

Do these prices show up online? There is one nearby so maybe I just have to go look around.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

If you want something that doesn't shake, get one of the workbenches people keep going on about in this thread. Hand cranked options available.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If you want something that doesn't shake, get one of the workbenches people keep going on about in this thread. Hand cranked options available.

Sounds like that's this Husky https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Solid-Wood-Top-for-6-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G7200AS-US/206497844 or the Karlby option at Ikea?

What legs are people attaching them too?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Do these prices show up online? There is one nearby so maybe I just have to go look around.

Unfortunately not. Clearance is marked out and sent to as-is to die.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CH Science posted:

Uh good question. It's a page out of the program from Combo Breaker 2018, a Midwest fighting game tournament. all their swag is full of No gods, No coast, No kings. I'll have to look up this Doomtree

Ah, doesn't sound like it then. I couldn't make out the faces in the picture (and there's probably too many people anyways), but they do the "No Kings" thing, along with a crown.
https://doomtree.bandcamp.com/album/no-kings

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

KingKapalone posted:

If you are looking for a large desktop to do with as you please, and if they are open during all this, check out Habitat Resale and Salvation Army store's. The ones around me constantly get in those huge executive and teacher desks. Granted they can be a bit used, but if you have the capability, some sand paper and fresh stain and/or finish can do wonders.

If they don't have a keyboard tray, a simple stair tread or riser with some glides can be had for 30-40 bucks (depending on the length you go with). Stain/finish it to match and you are golden.

Want a more open leg design, two of the three Habitat store's near me have a selection of legs you can choose from for example. You may have to buy your own screws, but that's literally pennies at any local hardware store.

I'd also do some searching to see if there are any used furniture store's around you. The two near-ish me (an hour away) have a huge selection of desk tops in their back room, along with legs. I took a friend of mine to one and he got a 4' x 2' desktop and pair of legs for less than 50 bucks out the door.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The placement of the monitors is not ideal but there's clearly a lot going on here.

What do you use the trackball for?

It’s the speaker placement that bothers me.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Koskun posted:

If they don't have a keyboard tray, a simple stair tread or riser with some glides can be had for 30-40 bucks (depending on the length you go with). Stain/finish it to match and you are golden.
I'll raise this to a $5 Ikea bookshelf https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-shelf-black-brown-40295528/ with the $20 glides I got about 4 years ago. Worked just fine for me until I sold the desk off.

My 6 ft long desk was a countertop I ordered off Homedepot for roughly $190 and I mounted an adjustable desk frame to it. I could have gone significantly cheaper but I wanted to splurge a little and get something I'd be comfortable with for 10+ years.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CubanMissile posted:

It’s the speaker placement that bothers me.

It's okay one of the speakers is on the fridge now, with a proper L to R spread. Removing the tower to the floor freed up a lot of space.

I got my folding chairs in.... welp they ARE chairs. Bad, lovely chairs but they are in fact chairs. I'm currently putting both chairs right next to each other to double the size of the seat so I can sit with my legs crossed, or put my feet up, or get comfortable. Being creative with the 2 chair setup it's not bad lol, quite comfy. Plus they fold!

edit: heres a pic of my setup 3.0

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 23, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Looking into standing desks and realize my choices might be limited since I'm 6'5". Saw a site that says my desk should be 48.4" but the one someone linked here on Amazon for $250 without a desktop only goes to 45". I see that the expensive Uplift ones go to 50" though. Didn't really want to spend that much though. Anyone come across this?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Looking into standing desks and realize my choices might be limited since I'm 6'5". Saw a site that says my desk should be 48.4" but the one someone linked here on Amazon for $250 without a desktop only goes to 45". I see that the expensive Uplift ones go to 50" though. Didn't really want to spend that much though. Anyone come across this?

This set of legs goes up to 51" and is under $300:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08BYNBB84/

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

They are not asking for new legs and anyway legs that long would make them even taller than they are now probably

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

This set of legs goes up to 51" and is under $300:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08BYNBB84/

Oh interesting. I was looking at that same one but the single motor. Assumed they went up the same height. Something to consider then, thanks.

edit: I'm reading a lot about stability issues for just about any desk when lifted and that makes me even more weary since I'd need to desk up to 48.4" https://www.painlessmovement.com/how-tall-should-my-desk-be-correct-desk-height-for-better-posture/ This is true even for the expensive pre-made ones like Uplift, VertDesk, Autonomous, etc

I'd have to imagine one of these cheap OEMs might be really bad. Haven't seen posts here with the pre-mades so anyone have anything to say about the custom builds?

I'm also curious about the support cross beam. Is that necessary? How do you sit at the desk? Maybe that only works for shorter non-6'5" people. Seems like the bar is even more important for tall people and the standing height they would need.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 24, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Still not sure about having the laptop on the desk as it takes up a lot of room but currently don't have another option. Might find a way to put it on the wall in some sort of holster.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CyberPingu posted:

Still not sure about having the laptop on the desk as it takes up a lot of room but currently don't have another option. Might find a way to put it on the wall in some sort of holster.

You don't seem to have a gap between the desk and the wall, so put the laptop vertically between the monitor and wall.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Saukkis posted:

You don't seem to have a gap between the desk and the wall, so put the laptop vertically between the monitor and wall.

I actually ended up doing a total overhaul of the desk

Have since cleaned the monitor

Laptop is now tucked in next to the tower

im going to improve circulation inside the cabinet by cutting a hole out the side and putting a grill on it.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

I actually ended up doing a total overhaul of the desk

That split keyboard you had on the desk looked very ergo, real nice one. Why replace it with the flat keeb?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

excellent bird guy posted:

That split keyboard you had on the desk looked very ergo, real nice one. Why replace it with the flat keeb?

It's not been replaced. I just havnt hooked it up yet.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Almost got it set up finally.... Need 2 longer ethernet cables to clean up the cable loom on the floor and that red one on the left.

This is the 80x30 Uplift desk.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 26, 2020

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

Obviously I spend most of my computer time not at a desk, but this is how it's set up when I am.

You can use an ipad as a screen? Neat. Can you do that with an iphone or ipod touch?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

colas posted:

You can use an ipad as a screen? Neat. Can you do that with an iphone or ipod touch?

I dont think iPhones support sidecar yet.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

I dont think iPhones support sidecar yet.

Of course it's called sidecar

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol so I ordered those legs, and Amazon sent them by Purolator. Only, someone hosed up and entered the package weight as 34lbs, when it actually weighs 34kg. So Purolator shipped it to the local distribution centre, then noped out on actually delivering it. (For the imperial-ists, 34kg is like 85lbs or so, and well beyond what workplace safety allows workers to be lifting and carrying alone and unassisted on a regular basis.)

Last I saw from Amazon was "package tendered to local postal carrier for final delivery", so now we get to see whether Canada Post will deliver a 34kg package.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Oh interesting. I was looking at that same one but the single motor. Assumed they went up the same height. Something to consider then, thanks.

edit: I'm reading a lot about stability issues for just about any desk when lifted and that makes me even more weary since I'd need to desk up to 48.4" https://www.painlessmovement.com/how-tall-should-my-desk-be-correct-desk-height-for-better-posture/ This is true even for the expensive pre-made ones like Uplift, VertDesk, Autonomous, etc

I'd have to imagine one of these cheap OEMs might be really bad. Haven't seen posts here with the pre-mades so anyone have anything to say about the custom builds?

I'm also curious about the support cross beam. Is that necessary? How do you sit at the desk? Maybe that only works for shorter non-6'5" people. Seems like the bar is even more important for tall people and the standing height they would need.

I have the frame I linked, and would recommend it. The manual says it's rated to lift 270lbs so I tested it with my 170lb meatsack before setting up my PC. It lifted me all the way up to the max 51 inches without struggling or any hint of instability. The dual motors are very strong.

I'm not as tall as you, but the cross beam never caused me any problems. It does mean you can use a less sturdy table top without worrying about it bowing under the weight of your equipment.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

I have the frame I linked, and would recommend it. The manual says it's rated to lift 270lbs so I tested it with my 170lb meatsack before setting up my PC. It lifted me all the way up to the max 51 inches without struggling or any hint of instability. The dual motors are very strong.

I'm not as tall as you, but the cross beam never caused me any problems. It does mean you can use a less sturdy table top without worrying about it bowing under the weight of your equipment.

Does that thing the blue line is pointing at count as a cross beam? I was thinking more like the ones that attach to each leg at like ankle/shin height on other desks.

In the amazon pictures, I don't see that thing either.

Also, does anyone have one of those butcher blocks that is deeper? The popular Ikea Karlby and Husky ones are only 24 to 26". My desk now is 31.5" but maybe I don't need that much.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Does that thing the blue line is pointing at count as a cross beam? I was thinking more like the ones that attach to each leg at like ankle/shin height on other desks.

In the amazon pictures, I don't see that thing either.

Also, does anyone have one of those butcher blocks that is deeper? The popular Ikea Karlby and Husky ones are only 24 to 26". My desk now is 31.5" but maybe I don't need that much.

No, the blue line is to indicate the depth of the table top I'm using, but it will work with one that is deeper. That's a cable shelf I added but it doesn't come with the frame/legs.

There is no attachment between the legs other than the support beam that attaches to the table top, so your shins and ankles will not have anything in the way.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Since having to squeeze an extra office into our house in the corner of the bedroom quickly, I just used a dining room chair - and you know what? I don't miss a wheely bendy office chair one bit. This chair is surprisingly comfy.
I made the desk out of spare ply and $9 legs. Those monitors are gonna be replaced with an ultrawide at some point - I prefer even one 2560x1080 over two 1920x1080 monitors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

klen dool posted:

Since having to squeeze an extra office into our house in the corner of the bedroom quickly, I just used a dining room chair - and you know what? I don't miss a wheely bendy office chair one bit. This chair is surprisingly comfy.
I made the desk out of spare ply and $9 legs. Those monitors are gonna be replaced with an ultrawide at some point - I prefer even one 2560x1080 over two 1920x1080 monitors.

what's that on the wall?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

colas posted:

what's that on the wall?

Its a print called "big five" by James Jean :)

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/james-jean-big-five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What do you people use to protect your carpet from your rolling computer chairs?

I'm moving in to a rental next week, it has newer carpet and I want to try and protect it as much as I can over the next year.