Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barry posted:

That cat definitely looks like the lights are on but nobody's home. I love her!

Cat: *looks at something*
Some goon: "Oh wow that guy is totally zonked lmao!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Some other goon: needlessly points out harmless posts to be a smug prick

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Putting in an endorsement for the IKEA VATTENKAR https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vattenkar-laptop-monitor-stand-birch-80541565/, if anybody is in need of a monitor stand/laptop stand akin to a Grovemade minus the $200 pricetag.

I've been really happy with mine for about three weeks so far and will be picking up a second one. I have mine in "double shelf" form under one of my displays, with my MBP comfortably stored underneath, and free space below that to stow a keyboard and portable SSD and various desktop knicknacks. A+

IKEA sells a more expensive metal stand with a wooden drawer that looks better in photos, but after seeing them both in-store it's way smaller, the metal is thin and flexible and flimsy-feeling, and it really doesn't inspire confidence. The cheaper pressed wood one, however, is rock solid.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 22, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Barry posted:

I love her!

Cat genetics chat!

There is a roughly 80% chance that orange tabbies are male[1]. OTOH, males can only be calico/tortoiseshell/particolor in cases of trisomy-x[1, 2]. Cat coat genetics have been bothering scientists for over a century[3].

So: a statistically cool cat.

[1] https://be.chewy.com/behavior-pet-facts-are-all-orange-cats-male-all-calico-cats-female/
[2] https://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/dox/calico.html
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666509/

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Another fun Orange Cat fact: All orange cats share the same single braincell. As such, all male orange cats are Himbos.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I saw a NOVA about this. They were bred orange by Egyptians, who used them for sacrifices.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bredfrown posted:

Not pictured: I picked up an MX Master 3S to replace the Magic Mouse.

look at that big dumb idiot

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

Where's a good place to look for sweet, huge mousepads like that? I should replace mine

Fake edit: here's my doofy orange girl learning with me during a presentation

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

look at that big dumb idiot

But the monitor is on?

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Johnny Truant posted:

Where's a good place to look for sweet, huge mousepads like that? I should replace mine

Fake edit: here's my doofy orange girl learning with me during a presentation

I got this one from Omnitype. Their mats are great, and their prices aren't bad either:
https://omnitype.com/products/dmg-console-deskpad

Also, your cat is super cute! I love her color! :D

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

I got this one from Omnitype. Their mats are great, and their prices aren't bad either:

Excellent, thanks for the link!

And Pia is very cute... the problem is she knows it and uses it very much to her advantage!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Pia is seriously like one of the most photogenic cats online IMO

I mean, I'm sure there are dozens of photos that don't make the posting cut that we never see but that's still clearly one top cat

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bredfrown posted:

Love the controller button colors on the keycaps, awesome idea that I'm definitely not stealing.

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.

Nephzinho posted:

Love the controller button colors on the keycaps, awesome idea that I'm definitely not stealing.

Do it! It's fun! :)

I love making my tools more fun to use.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you can also get huge deskpads from AliExpress but it's a big gamble on their quality.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So many of you have such awesome setups. I have a ton of setup envy. I wish I had the time, energy and money that some of you have!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not really into cats but that cat looks like it belongs in some ye olde painting or a book describing cats as a concept.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

I bought a cool floral print deskpad from this place, just wanted to thank you again for the rec!

Here's a photo of my other furbutt, Butter, who will be grumpy about the deskpad cause I will not let her or her sister Pia walk all over it with their huntress claws

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

mdxi posted:

Cat genetics chat!

There is a roughly 80% chance that orange tabbies are male[1]. OTOH, males can only be calico/tortoiseshell/particolor in cases of trisomy-x[1, 2]. Cat coat genetics have been bothering scientists for over a century[3].

So: a statistically cool cat.

[1] https://be.chewy.com/behavior-pet-facts-are-all-orange-cats-male-all-calico-cats-female/
[2] https://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/dox/calico.html
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666509/

You could also get a male calico/torty thru chimerism.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bredfrown posted:

Okay so that's the cat's setup, where's yours?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I got mine from: https://ultimatecustommousepads.com/

Super happy with the quality. They're a NZ firm, and the product ships directly from China.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

So many of you have such awesome setups. I have a ton of setup envy. I wish I had the time, energy and money that some of you have!

thrifting, diy and customization, smart use of affordable/mass-market and more expensive or personal items, amassing things piecemeal over a slow period of time….

a lot of the thread regulars have been posting for a long time here and their personal spaces have evolved accordingly

very few ppl are dropping fat stacks all at once and totally kitting out a space

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

grack posted:

Okay so that's the cat's setup, where's yours?

Cat lets me use hers from time to time, occasionally I remind her money is needed to pay for food.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cat: *looks at something*
Some goon: "Oh wow that guy is totally zonked lmao!"

it's an orange cat, trust me it's zonked

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought some K&M speaker stands and Aiyima A07 stereo amp, so I could use a spare pair of speakers with my PC. Now I have to figure out what to do with my 2nd display, since it did not fit anymore. Maybe a larger desk? :v:

Also why I always buy a bit too short cables. I had to move my case forward a bit, and the monitor's HDMI cable was too short :argh:

Some day I should buy a mini rack for the headphone amp, stereo amp & mic thingy, like this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-stands/topping-sr2-hifi-rack-3-levels-aluminum-289-x-238-x-188mm-black-silver-p-16813.html

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Put the computer on the floor, move one monitor to one side, setup the other monitor, move to the back and raise up the speakers and tilt them a little to face you, put a foam under the speakers so that they won't shake the stands.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Put my RGB under the desk? :monocle:

The speakers are already on 42cm stands, the monitor is also a 42” so everything is quite high. The speakers have no bass so not much foam needed, especially on my listening levels :)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ihmemies posted:

Now I have to figure out what to do with my 2nd display, since it did not fit anymore. Maybe a larger desk? :v:

I would of course advocate placing it above the main monitor.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Hmm that too is possible. :monocle: I wonder what kind of stand that setup requires…

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ihmemies posted:

Hmm that too is possible. :monocle: I wonder what kind of stand that setup requires…

Well, tall. I use this Mozi quad stand

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I bought some K&M speaker stands and Aiyima A07 stereo amp, so I could use a spare pair of speakers with my PC. Now I have to figure out what to do with my 2nd display, since it did not fit anymore. Maybe a larger desk? :v:

Also why I always buy a bit too short cables. I had to move my case forward a bit, and the monitor's HDMI cable was too short :argh:

Some day I should buy a mini rack for the headphone amp, stereo amp & mic thingy, like this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-stands/topping-sr2-hifi-rack-3-levels-aluminum-289-x-238-x-188mm-black-silver-p-16813.html

clean setup. what taskbar is this? I can't seem to center the start button with taskbarX

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Ihmemies posted:

Put my RGB under the desk? :monocle:

The speakers are already on 42cm stands, the monitor is also a 42” so everything is quite high. The speakers have no bass so not much foam needed, especially on my listening levels :)

My bling af tower is under my desk. I can still see it from the rest of the room, it's better there.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Saukkis posted:

I just went for the stacked setup. It barely works with my cheap stand, but I think it's better. Side by side 32's is too much neck wrenching.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

My set up at the shop.

Shop laptop and my own trusty T420, respectively.

And the final one (on the right).

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 6, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

muskrat posted:

clean setup. what taskbar is this? I can't seem to center the start button with taskbarX

It’s the default Windows 11 taskbar. I think it even Centers itself by default.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh yeah this thread exists

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is that actually your setup? Thats pretty neat looking.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Is that actually your setup? Thats pretty neat looking.

yes I just moved the 6th screen to its holiest spot (the top left).

I have a 7th vertical screen to but it's currently not being pressed into service.

Before I log onto my work computer I switch my USB switcher/hub, then hotkey to deactivate the bottom three monitors; which the mac connects to automatically; then I use Synergy to share the mouse/kb from the main PC; which passes the m/kb over the borders just like a normal multi monitor set up.

After work I sleep the mac and press another hotkey to summon the screens back.

It literally took me ages to find this stupid program for Windows to do the hotkey disable vs something else. On Linux I just use an Arandr script assigned to a hotkey

The keyboard is a handwired Dactyl Manuform

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 9, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ziasquinn posted:

Before I log onto my work computer I switch my USB switcher/hub, then hotkey to deactivate the bottom three monitors; which the mac connects to automatically; then I use Synergy to share the mouse/kb from the main PC; which passes the m/kb over the borders just like a normal multi monitor set up.

This is loving magic