Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

url posted:

I gots me a new height adjustable desk as a leaving present from work. Its huge.
Also my father in law built me an ikea cabinet to house my 3 machines.
But, I'm not happy about the wiring as yet. I'm calling this a first draught.
Any ideas on good/cheap cable management are welcome, i understand the two approaches are usually mutually exclusive.

[pics]

It is my dream to one day have a set up like that. I have absolutely zero practical reasons to need 3-4 computers, but I'm sure I will find a completely retarded excuse to have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

The Third Man posted:

It is my dream to one day have a set up like that. I have absolutely zero practical reasons to need 3-4 computers, but I'm sure I will find a completely retarded excuse to have them.

I've already found this retarded excuse. Main system for games, stuff with a big monitor. Second computer is an old laptop for chat, internet, etc hooked up to a second monitor (making 3) and then a lovely P4 hooked up via s-video to a TV for watching movies and poo poo on the networked 1 TB drive.

Now all I want is a bigger room so I can have a bigger desk. (3 monitors, one of them being a laptop gets cramped)

My excuse? They were all such good deals on craigslist I couldn't pass them up!!!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Grayham posted:

Thanks!

Actually, I built that desk three years ago. I was frustrated with the selection of cheap and crappy particle board desks you see everywhere.

Bullets!
  • Built of three sheets of 3/4" 4'x8' birch plywood plus one 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF
  • The top is 1½" thick
  • 78" long x 27" wide x 30" tall
  • Able to fit through a 32" doorway with the door removed
  • Really loving heavy! — I almost killed myself moving it into my apartment by myself with only the help of an appliance dolly

You framed with solid wood though, didn't you? It certainly doesn't look like MDF.

It looks practical.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

IsaacNewton posted:

You framed with solid wood though, didn't you? It certainly doesn't look like MDF.

It looks practical.

The MDF provides the additional thickness of the top. It could have been done other ways but it seemed like a good idea at the time. It adds a lot of additional weight.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

The Third Man posted:

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still waiting for the motherboard for the middle (to be the main) machine.
When its here, I'll get it all built and have another bash at the wiring. I'll put up some specs and a short story explaining my folly.

I'm the first to admit it is ridiculously elaborate, but, I waited years do get it just like this.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I am entirely serious. I built another computer out of old parts that sits next to my main machine and runs chat/VoIP programs and allows me to browse the web without minimizing games.

I'm sure that in the future I will come up with an even more unnecessary and elaborate excuse to have a third machine. This also helps me justify extra widescreen LCDs.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

The Third Man posted:

I am entirely serious. I built another computer out of old parts that sits next to my main machine and runs chat/VoIP programs and allows me to browse the web without minimizing games.

I'm sure that in the future I will come up with an even more unnecessary and elaborate excuse to have a third machine. This also helps me justify extra widescreen LCDs.

I figured you were being serious. There was no sarcasm intended.
I used development and hosting as the excuses for a third machine.
I have had to use maxivista to relay a screen over TCP to join to my main two screens.

I ended up with alot of spare parts when I was trying to resolve a hardware issue.
That eventually became a whole machine.
Then those two machines are now dated, and now that I don't have a job, the Firm took their machine back, meaning I need to build a new one.

:D

The two machines I'm using now are way below spec for anything I like to do, so they will retire back into their roles as file/print servers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grayham posted:

Logitech just replaced my dead MX1000 which I'd owned for over 5 years - well out of warranty, with a brand new MX Revolution.

Hell yes, they replaced my MX1000 with an MXRev too after the 1k stopped charging. I figured they'd tell me that the battery was just dead and I was SOL since it was well out of warranty. They went well above and beyond the call of duty there.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Hell yes, they replaced my MX1000 with an MXRev too after the 1k stopped charging. I figured they'd tell me that the battery was just dead and I was SOL since it was well out of warranty. They went well above and beyond the call of duty there.

they're great when it comes to warranty, they replaced my G5 the buttons started to jam up or something I've heard a few of my friends complain about it, they sent me the new version no questions asked.

Ukiyo
Aug 21, 2008
Ok so i was waiting for a long time to get settled in, and admittedly took about an hour to prepare everything (and im still living like poo poo?) Most of the cable clutter is out of the way.

Click here for the full 2036x1527 image.

and here is a closer look of the computer set-up:

Where to start...

Ikea desk and chair (of course?)

Actual Desk and Computer:
lovely but largeish 20" envision monitor
Razer diamondback, icemat, cheap windows keyboard, bluetooth mac keyboard (long story), 250gig external, desktop machine I built with many donated parts (my thanks go out to max at https://www.redux.com (very entertaining site btw)),
Obligatory moleskines for random thoughts and an attempt at GTD
big-rear end mug

Sound:
Nakamichi re-3
Athena ls-100b's
Sennheiser hd 212pro's
re-used logitech 150w 9" sub (wired through the pre-out on the amp)

Scratching:
technics 1200 mk2's
modded lovely tascam xs-4 w/ nice vestax crossfader
shure m44-7's
edit: serato scratch live is hiding behind the case

J. Cardigan
Nov 8, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Living like poo poo and whatnot, but this apartment sucks. Hopefully I'll be moving soon.

Dual-monitor setup compliments of the freebie Athlon 64 3000+ desktop I got a few weeks ago. It'll hopefully be replaced with a Core 2 Duo setup soon.

ninja edit: Also showing the Logitech speaker love. I've had these for two years and they still kick rear end.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

I wish I had done this before going out and buying a Razer DeathAdder after getting sick and tired of dealing with the erratic behaviour of my own MX1000 for years. Don't get me wrong, the Razer is good and all, but free is even better.

Maybe I should e-mail them anyway...

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

man thats gross posted:

I wish I had done this before going out and buying a Razer DeathAdder after getting sick and tired of dealing with the erratic behaviour of my own MX1000 for years. Don't get me wrong, the Razer is good and all, but free is even better.

Maybe I should e-mail them anyway...

I was weary of the MX Revolution that I knew I'd be getting. However, after owning it for a couple weeks now, I can say that it's an amazing mouse and better than the MX1000 in every way.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Grayham posted:

I was weary of the MX Revolution that I knew I'd be getting. However, after owning it for a couple weeks now, I can say that it's an amazing mouse and better than the MX1000 in every way.

Yeah, I don't know if it was just my computer, but that drat thing would stop responding, or jump around the screen. A real pain in the rear end. I think I'm liking the wired mouse again. The wireless wasn't strong enough to actually leave my desk anyway, so it was kind of pointless.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

man thats gross posted:

Yeah, I don't know if it was just my computer, but that drat thing would stop responding, or jump around the screen. A real pain in the rear end. I think I'm liking the wired mouse again. The wireless wasn't strong enough to actually leave my desk anyway, so it was kind of pointless.

Had that same problem with a G7 I had. Turns out it was my wireless router that was like 3 feet away. I moved it into my closet and voila, wireless people are happy and it no longer messes up my mouse.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

man thats gross posted:

That was the exact symptom that my MX1000 had.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Grayham posted:

Maybe it was a bad line? Who knows. Ahh well. I got a nice wired mouse, and if Logitech plays nice I can get a nice wireless mouse for my girlfriend or my brother or somebody.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 14, 2009

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Full size

The main disadvantage of my current desk setup is that just to the right of the rightmost guitar is my TV, hung on the wall. Watching TV while being at my desk is awkward so I have to choose one or the other and since I'm an internet whore I'm back at it every 5 minutes skulking around forums.

Also untidy cables.

Currently on the hunt for a small second monitor that I can comfortably fit on the desk.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Alligator posted:

Full size

The main disadvantage of my current desk setup is that just to the right of the rightmost guitar is my TV, hung on the wall. Watching TV while being at my desk is awkward so I have to choose one or the other and since I'm an internet whore I'm back at it every 5 minutes skulking around forums.

Also untidy cables.

Currently on the hunt for a small second monitor that I can comfortably fit on the desk.

What case is that?

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
'Tis a Dell XPS 430 case. Looking around I don't think they're sold individually.

The carrying handle/vent for the frankly ridiculous CPU fan is very convenient when moving it around.
My only gripe is that the left side panel has a godawful rattle. The front end of the case is currently resting on a folded up padded envelope rather than the feet so it stays quiet.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Alligator posted:

'Tis a Dell XPS 430 case. Looking around I don't think they're sold individually.

The carrying handle/vent for the frankly ridiculous CPU fan is very convenient when moving it around.
My only gripe is that the left side panel has a godawful rattle. The front end of the case is currently resting on a folded up padded envelope rather than the feet so it stays quiet.

I had the same problem with my Lian-Li case, (posted in here somewhere, the one that looks like Mac worship) and it took me forever to find where that drat noise was coming from. I just stuck a piece of folded up paper in the space between the side panel and the main chasis.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

glompix posted:

I had the same problem with my Lian-Li case, (posted in here somewhere, the one that looks like Mac worship) and it took me forever to find where that drat noise was coming from. I just stuck a piece of folded up paper in the space between the side panel and the main chasis.
My parents computer had the same problem, so I put insulation foam tape between the case and the sides.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ukiyo posted:

Ok so i was waiting for a long time to get settled in, and admittedly took about an hour to prepare everything (and im still living like poo poo?) Most of the cable clutter is out of the way.

Why are you blocking that door?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roman posted:

Why are you blocking that door?

We don't talk about what's behind that door.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Alligator posted:

'Tis a Dell XPS 430 case. Looking around I don't think they're sold individually.so it stays quiet.

No use if they did, they're (probably) BTX. Not just flipped-upside-down ATX, but actual BTX, so you can't use pretty much any board in there except the Dell ones.

At least that was the case last time I took one apart.

Ukiyo
Aug 21, 2008
Haha.. no we don't.

There are three doors to my room, and because I live with roommates I like to be able to lock the one other door thats not my bathroom.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Shown: blue yoga ball, padded Ikea stool, (free) laptop stand, $20 monoprice monitor arm, and cheap Office Depot desk that also houses my laptop under the top (shown with mouse trying to escape). Monitor is a 2005FPW. Case to the side is an Antec 300.

Not shown: Thecus N4100Pro with ricer as hell blinkin' lights and VFD

Grayham posted:

I've had that problem only when the mouse was out of direct line of sight from the front of the mouse to the receiver. I've had my MX1000 for about 4 years now. Works as well as the day I got it, frankly.

Ibook
Jul 13, 2005
OS X > Windows, seriously though.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Ibook posted:

That's a pretty nice HDTV.
Do you actually find the Information Box useful?
(You can turn it off by pressing triangle on the info box icon in networking.)
ninja edit: And I completely missed you having the same speakers as me.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

Ibook posted:

From this angle the HDTV seems to be suspended a bit high, I like the idea of having everything in one area though.

Ibook
Jul 13, 2005
OS X > Windows, seriously though.

All Too Much For Me posted:

That's a pretty nice HDTV.
Do you actually find the Information Box useful?
(You can turn it off by pressing triangle on the info box icon in networking.)
ninja edit: And I completely missed you having the same speakers as me.

Thank you didn't know that.

Akvj1n posted:

From this angle the HDTV seems to be suspended a bit high, I like the idea of having everything in one area though.

I mean I preferred it to be that high mainly because my bed is behind the desk and when I lay down its a great angle to watch tv, as far as when I am by my desk, I have a reclining chair which I usually sit back on so it's not that uncomfortable, and often when im watching a movie/playing ps3 (not on my comp doing poo poo) I tend to slide it back and put my feet on the desk while reclining so it's fine as well.

Windowlicker
Apr 4, 2003

Click here for the full 1058x820 image.

1: My gaming rig/TW2002 Gold server(Same server as below, port 2002). (AMD Phenom 9850 Quad / 8 Gigs ram)
2: BBS Server (Server: windowlicker.gotdns.org Port: 2047 if you care)
3: Girlfriends computer (AMD Phenom 9850 Quad / 4 Gigs ram)
4: lovely work laptop with my precious precious files
5: 27.5 inch LCD (Digital mode)
6: 19 inch LCD (Analog, because the KVM switch sucks)
7: 20something inch LCD (Digital mode)
8: 19" CRT (lovely mode)
9: Max Payne mousepad (That's right bitch, A man with nothing to lose)
10: KVM switch (Switches the 19" above it from the BBS box to the gaming rig along with the mouse/keyboard)
11: Linksys Gigabit router with a/b/g/n WEP2

And no, I didn't bother cleaning anything before taking the pic. Also, those are in fact IKEA chairs.

The rest of our place looks much better, but there isn't much I've figured out to do that might clean this wall of electronics up.

Yet.

Edit: Added TW2002 server port

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Windowlicker posted:

Click here for the full 1058x820 image.

1: My gaming rig/TW2002 Gold server(Same server as below, port 2002). (AMD Phenom 9850 Quad / 8 Gigs ram)
2: BBS Server (Server: windowlicker.gotdns.org Port: 2047 if you care)
3: Girlfriends computer (AMD Phenom 9850 Quad / 4 Gigs ram)
4: lovely work laptop with my precious precious files
5: 27.5 inch LCD (Digital mode)
6: 19 inch LCD (Analog, because the KVM switch sucks)
7: 20something inch LCD (Digital mode)
8: 19" CRT (lovely mode)
9: Max Payne mousepad (That's right bitch, A man with nothing to lose)
10: KVM switch (Switches the 19" above it from the BBS box to the gaming rig along with the mouse/keyboard)
11: Linksys Gigabit router with a/b/g/n WEP2

And no, I didn't bother cleaning anything before taking the pic. Also, those are in fact IKEA chairs.

The rest of our place looks much better, but there isn't much I've figured out to do that might clean this wall of electronics up.

Yet.

Edit: Added TW2002 server port

Okay, I NEED that wallpaper in the highest resolution you have it in (the girly one on the left).

Can you please let us know where you got it?

Windowlicker
Apr 4, 2003

Bonobos posted:

Okay, I NEED that wallpaper in the highest resolution you have it in (the girly one on the left).

Can you please let us know where you got it?

To be honest, I can't remember. If I had to guess, I may have snagged it out of a collection on 4chan ages ago.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Windowlicker posted:

To be honest, I can't remember. If I had to guess, I may have snagged it out of a collection on 4chan ages ago.

Thanks dude, you are awesome.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thank you for posting a woman's rear end in a thread that is read at thousands of work places around the world.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Erwin posted:

Thank you for posting a woman's rear end in a thread that is read at thousands of work places around the world.

But... he NEEDED it!

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.

Erwin posted:

I'm not one to usually defend users that embed barely risque pictures in a post without warning or only linking them, but you are an outright IDIOT if you are browsing any personal, non-work related sites that you don't want anyone else to see (your boss, your coworkers, random person behind you) or detect that you're viewing (websense, other filters).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Allistar posted:

I'm not one to usually defend users that embed barely risque pictures in a post without warning or only linking them, but you are an outright IDIOT if you are browsing any personal, non-work related sites that you don't want anyone else to see (your boss, your coworkers, random person behind you) or detect that you're viewing (websense, other filters).

Some workplaces are okay with a little non-work-related browsing as long as you're not looking at stuff someone could be offended by. It's a thread about desks, it doesn't need bitch-rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.

TheScott2K posted:

Some workplaces are okay with a little non-work-related browsing as long as you're not looking at stuff someone could be offended by. It's a thread about desks, it doesn't need bitch-rear end.

I'll stop derailing the thread here, but I'm just saying that maybe he should be looking at disney.com. I've seen worse in the multitude of "post your desktops" wallpaper threads over the years.

I'll replace this post with a picture of my "desktop -- aka a tiny ikea desk top on legs in the living room, in front of a couch, looking at my 37" Samsung HDTV that is also my PC monitor for gaming, HTPC use, etc.