Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Ma33y posted:

I don't know what it is about this setup but it just looks so cosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just went to Ikea and I saw the Galant desks on display so... I took pictures:

Large black Galant!

Galants galore!

White and Veneered Galants!

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

White and Veneered Galants!

I just picked up two of the blue frosted glass Galants for my wife and I. We're using I legs and I really like the feel of the desk. Not to mention that you can change the height on the legs too.

You can see a corner in the top right corner of the picture of the same desk we have except with the /\ legs.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm considering buying a large l-shaped Galant in the near future. Will I have to drill holes if I buy one of these? I don't own a drill, but I could probably borrow one.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

chief touching you posted:

I'm considering buying a large l-shaped Galant in the near future. Will I have to drill holes if I buy one of these? I don't own a drill, but I could probably borrow one.

You don't need to drill holes at all for any legs that come with the Galant, be they A, I or T legs.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Nice! What about the accessories ie: cable management, etc? Does everything just connect to the metal frame underneath?

dreadfulwater
May 13, 2005

Murder Machine
When we got our new home recently, I decided to do away with the "Computer Room" cliche'. So, I integrated my home theater, Xbox360, and new i5 PC setup (its in an adjacent storage room behind the TV wall) into our Media room. the wireless keyboard and mouse are not pictured here. its a blast playing Risen on my 40" from my comfy Sectional.

those honkin speakers are Mirage M7 series

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Nice! What about the accessories ie: cable management, etc? Does everything just connect to the metal frame underneath?

Here's their cable management series http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/14209/

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

I do believe you need to drill holes for that Signum cable tray. I got one and couldn't figure out how to get it on and didn't have a drill, so it's just laying in a closet. :(

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

glompix posted:

I do believe you need to drill holes for that Signum cable tray. I got one and couldn't figure out how to get it on and didn't have a drill, so it's just laying in a closet. :(

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I'll have to borrow a drill from someone when I buy mine :-D

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
After seemingly and endless search... my new desk was delivered today:

To give it scale, thats a 24" monitor. The desk is 60"x121".

Its actually a 3-piece desk, made from all-natural bamboo plywood with a wood veneer. It has no screws or metal parts, fits together all via friction fit with each piece building on top of the other piece. I think its actually sturdier than any other desk I've had.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Revenant.Eagle posted:

After seemingly and endless search... my new desk was delivered today:

To give it scale, thats a 24" monitor. The desk is 60"x121".

Its actually a 3-piece desk, made from all-natural bamboo plywood with a wood veneer. It has no screws or metal parts, fits together all via friction fit with each piece building on top of the other piece. I think its actually sturdier than any other desk I've had.

nice! where did you get it from?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

nice! where did you get it from?

I actually got it off of amazon. I used the free prime trial because shipping was going to be incredibly expensive... I think the total weight was close to 250lbs.

Corner section: Click
30" Extension: Click
31" Rounded end piece: Click

I also liked the desk so much I picked up their bookcase. Once I save for a TV I think I'll also be getting their TV Stand/Hutch. Very nice quality, well worth every penny!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I almost picked up a Legare awhile back. Is it pretty stable? No wobbles or anything?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

timb posted:

I almost picked up a Legare awhile back. Is it pretty stable? No wobbles or anything?

This thing is rock solid. Feels like one giant piece of wood without any joints. It honestly feels more stable than all of the office furniture I looked at at Office Depot/Max/Staples.

The veneer isn't fake wood grain either, its the real deal:

And the edging job they did is incredible:

Revenant.Eagle fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 7, 2009

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I really want to like that Legare desk, but the curves are really bugging me.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

bell biv devoe posted:

I really want to like that Legare desk, but the curves are really bugging me.

I said the same thing when I was initially shopping and came across Legare. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks much better in person. It's definitely not a 'traditional' square/rectangle desk, but the curves are actually functional.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Here's a picture of the bottom of my desk.

You can attach this to it, I believe, according to the Ikea site:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50035115

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Here's my new setup:

Loving the simplicity of the Apple Cinema Display paired with a 17" MacBook Pro.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

timb posted:

Here's my new setup:

Loving the simplicity of the Apple Cinema Display paired with a 17" MacBook Pro.

Whats up Funcpad & mx1000 buddy? :cool:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Whats up Funcpad & mx1000 buddy? :cool:

:cool::respek::cool:

Best drat mouse pad I've ever owned. Had it 3 years or so now.

Do you use rough or smooth side?

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

timb posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

Best drat mouse pad I've ever owned. Had it 3 years or so now.

Do you use rough or smooth side?

Smooth is the way to go. I think I've had this mouse pad for at least 4-5 years now, and it still looks just as good as when I got it on day 1.

My Mx1000 though has seen better days. Lost most of the feet and its in need of replacement rather soon....

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
had my funcpad since 2004, and I'm a long time rough side user.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Smooth is the way to go. I think I've had this mouse pad for at least 4-5 years now, and it still looks just as good as when I got it on day 1.

My Mx1000 though has seen better days. Lost most of the feet and its in need of replacement rather soon....

I stopped using smooth after the first 6 months or so. I found that hitting any bits of grit would cause an unpleasant sensation when the mouse hit it. I was cleaning the thing ALL the time. I've been on the rough side since.

Holy poo poo, I just looked it up, I bought this in January of 2005. So almost 5 years! :monocle:

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

timb posted:

I stopped using smooth after the first 6 months or so. I found that hitting any bits of grit would cause an unpleasant sensation when the mouse hit it. I was cleaning the thing ALL the time. I've been on the rough side since.

Holy poo poo, I just looked it up, I bought this in January of 2005. So almost 5 years! :monocle:

Ya know, I just tried the rough side... and I actually like it better :blush:

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

timb posted:

Here's my new setup:

That looks like a fantastic chair, where is it from?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Sultry Fungus posted:

That looks like a fantastic chair, where is it from?

It's a Sealy Task Chair from Office Max. The padding is memory foam and it's upholstered with micro-suede. Most comfortable task chair I've ever had!

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Steakandchips posted:

You can attach this to it, I believe, according to the Ikea site:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50035115

You can attach this to any wood desk there is since you have the drill the fucker in yourself. Quite a bitch if you don't have any hole drilling bits.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

glompix posted:

These and these attach directly to the frame and don't require any drilling, but they hang over the edge.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
How do you guys sleep at night without owning a wide array of power tools?!

Buy a drill.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
edit: obsolete

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 17, 2010

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Nija posted:

Buy a drill.

This is a thread in shsc.

We have soft hands.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

bell biv devoe posted:

This is a thread in shsc.

We have soft hands.

Which is exactly why you should have power tools, so you don't have to use hand tools.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Click here for the full 577x768 image.

This is at work. It's beside a Fire Cabinet.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Question about jerkers:

Can I replace parts of the jerker even though they are discontinued? I would like to buy a use one, and eventually replace the beech wood with something else. Just wondering how feasible this is. I like the utility provided by the desk, and I can get one for cheap, I just don't want one that doesn't match the rest of my stuff.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Nija posted:

Buy a drill.

At the very least they could buy a Yankee Drill.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Going back to this one, pretty much everything in the office section comes with self-tapping screws.

If you hate yourself and have time to kill, all you need is a screwdriver. A drill (or a power screw driver) is a much, much better way to go about it if you can get one.

Can I replace parts of the jerker even though they are discontinued? I would like to buy a use one, and eventually replace the beech wood with something else.

If you can find someone who has them, or the one IKEA on some far-flung corner of the planet Earth that might still have some inventory.

What's in people's homes and offices is what's available.

Nothing stopping you from fabbing up your own replacement pieces, though. The frames can be attached to anything that'll hold a screw, and everything's just veneered particle board.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ragzilla posted:

Which is exactly why you should have power tools, so you don't have to use hand tools.

Why would I want to do it myself when I can pay Ikea to do it all; the delivery, the assembly etc, with all the power tools they have at their disposal?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Click here for the full 973x730 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Steakandchips posted:

Why would I want to do it myself when I can pay Ikea to do it all; the delivery, the assembly etc, with all the power tools they have at their disposal?

To save money and differentiate yourself from a girl.