Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Nija posted:

To save money and differentiate yourself from a girl.

What if this is in fact a girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nija posted:

To save money and differentiate yourself from a girl.

Bugger differentiation.

Buying a collection of power tools is way more expensive than getting Ikea to lug and create all the furniture.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ab0z posted:

What if this is in fact a girl?

Guy.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I picked up a craftsman drill for $30-$40 a while back and have used it to
hang shelves for my wife
fix or assemble furniture
drill eleventy different things while working on my car
Ikea isn't gonna do all that. Also get the whatever coated bits from harbor freight, $15 or so for a 32 piece set and I so far can't break them in situations where name brand stuff has. A drill is handy to have.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SH/SC: DrillChat 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ab0z posted:

I picked up a craftsman drill for $30-$40 a while back and have used it to
hang shelves for my wife
fix or assemble furniture
drill eleventy different things while working on my car
Ikea isn't gonna do all that. Also get the whatever coated bits from harbor freight, $15 or so for a 32 piece set and I so far can't break them in situations where name brand stuff has. A drill is handy to have.

I agree that a drill might be handy to have. IF one wanted to all of these things by oneself.

• hang shelves for my wife
  • fix or assemble furniture
These two Ikea will do for me. Aside from providing the wife.

• drill eleventy different things while working on my car
A mechanic would do this. Assuming I owned a car.

I must admit though, I like the idea of owning powertools. It'd be nice to have a large saw or vertial drill... I did enjoy using those in school. Maybe I could make a table or something... Hmmmm...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Has anyone ever seen this desk in person? I'm very tempted to grab it, although part of me thinks that it looks goofy. I really, really want to get rid of my glass desk. It's nowhere near is cool as I thought it was a year ago.

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

http://www.computerdeskexperts.com/...r:referralID=NA

(staples has it also, for around $260)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bell biv devoe posted:

Has anyone ever seen this desk in person? I'm very tempted to grab it, although part of me thinks that it looks goofy. I really, really want to get rid of my glass desk. It's nowhere near is cool as I thought it was a year ago.

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

http://www.computerdeskexperts.com/...r:referralID=NA

(staples has it also, for around $260)

You will begin to:

1. Loathe those legs sticking out. They will get in the way of your chair, your feet, plus they look horrible.
2. Hate the little table on top of the desk upon which the speakers are resting. The little table's legs will impede your desire to push things around on what SHOULD be a big flat surface.
3. What the christ is the metal poo poo on the back of the desk? That'll prevent you from easily pulling cables around.
4. The CPU trolley is just so horrible. You don't need wheels on something that does not need to move. If anything, it'll move around when you try to insert a DVD.

This is a lovely piece of furniture design. You wouldn't see this in any decent office, and for good reason.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

You will begin to:

1. Loathe those legs sticking out. They will get in the way of your chair, your feet, plus they look horrible.
2. Hate the little table on top of the desk upon which the speakers are resting. The little table's legs will impede your desire to push things around on what SHOULD be a big flat surface.
3. What the christ is the metal poo poo on the back of the desk? That'll prevent you from easily pulling cables around.
4. The CPU trolley is just so horrible. You don't need wheels on something that does not need to move. If anything, it'll move around when you try to insert a DVD.

This is a lovely piece of furniture design. You wouldn't see this in any decent office, and for good reason.
It looks like it's meant to sit out in the open, hence the panels on the back. Which would also be why the computer trolley has wheels on it because it makes no sense to have it in the corner if the legs are going to block you from rolling it from under the desk.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SlayVus posted:

It looks like it's meant to sit out in the open, hence the panels on the back. Which would also be why the computer trolley has wheels on it because it makes no sense to have it in the corner if the legs are going to block you from rolling it from under the desk.

I disagree. If it were meant to sit out in the open, the panels would be solid and reach to the floor. Otherwise, ladies with skirts on might risk flashing people in front.

And I still hold to my opinion that the legs and the small table on top suck.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Steakandchips posted:

I disagree. If it were meant to sit out in the open, the panels would be solid and reach to the floor. Otherwise, ladies with skirts on might risk flashing people in front.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on all your points about this desk. It looks good in a catalog, won't work good in your office, whatever type of office it is.
You shouldn't have a small permanent obstruction built on top of the desk, it'll piss you off when you change your ideas about your workflow. Also computer dollies are dumb, where exactly are you going to roll that thing when it's trapped in by those annoying legs sticking out?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Steakandchips posted:

The Jerker has those panels, though not as tall. I'm pretty sure it's to keep the desk from wobbling back and forth.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
It may be more of a matter of personal taste than I realize, but keyboard trays loving suck. If you have long legs or sit high they get in the way, and they're usually not large enough to accomodate a good keyboard and enough mouse surface.

But yeah I wouldn't buy that desk if I were you.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Cheap staples desk that I got on craigslist for 40$. Monitor switches from my laptop to my 360. The green custom 360 I made no longer works. Drill was there because I finally drilled through my floor to get wired internet into my bedroom (you can't see the end because the bit is 2' long.. I know I need to get better speakers, mouse, mousepad, keyboard and an actual PC eventually.

I know I'm living like poo poo with those wires hanging down, I'll eventually tape/velcro strap them up and out of sight.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I'm living like poo poo and I don't even care. In fact it's worse than it looks from this side.

Hell yeah don't give a poo poo. The desk is some Office Depot thing and aside from being large it's not really designed for computers or something. It has a compartment for a computer but it gets no airflow and isn't nearly large enough for the p182.

The chair is also some Office Depot thing and aside from not being well-ventilated, it's super comfortable.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

glompix posted:

It may be more of a matter of personal taste than I realize, but keyboard trays loving suck. If you have long legs or sit high they get in the way, and they're usually not large enough to accomodate a good keyboard and enough mouse surface.

But yeah I wouldn't buy that desk if I were you.

Agreed. I remember having one when I was a kid.

Never enough mouse or keyboard movement space on them.

Plus they make stupid noises when you get excited during a video game. And you can't rest too much weight on them.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm looking for a white minimalist designer desk.

Suggestions?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I present you, the IDesk!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had one of those iMacs years ago. Those round speakers are the worst I ever heard. It even used proprietary audio cables and the computer had a specific port just for that speaker.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs? I've started working from home and while my $100 office depot special was fine for "a few hours after work, here and there", it's kinda sucking to sit in for 8+ hours a day, five days a week. Price is a concern, of course, but if I get a great chair that will last for years for my $500-900 I'd consider it money well spent. Thanks in advance!

(I should just tip over my chair in the NYC office the next time I'm on-site to see what it is, because it is pretty awesome, but ... :effort: ;))

To contribute to the desk discussion, I've got the $129 minimalist Jonas desk from Ikea and have no complaints. For the price, it's working quite nicely.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That iDesk would be loving awful because it gives you nowhere to actually rest your arms whilst working. What a stupid idea.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

That iDesk would be loving awful because it gives you nowhere to actually rest your arms whilst working. What a stupid idea.

Isn't that what your chair's arm rests are for? But yes, I was kidding about that 'desk' -- It does look awful to use but it's quite minimalist and white so that meet his requirements.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

IsaacNewton posted:

Isn't that what your chair's arm rests are for? But yes, I was kidding about that 'desk' -- It does look awful to use but it's quite minimalist and white so that meet his requirements.

Eh I think you'd find it too minimialist for leaning on, even with arm rests. Also, who the gently caress uses a mouse that's in front of the horizontal line of the keyboard?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Got a new setup, now with less precarious balancing of a laptop and monitor on a lovely laptop cart!

Yes, I know my cables are a total mess. :argh: The TV is pretty much only for the Xbox, I have a WinTV hooked up to a splitter for my cable so I get the ClearQAM stations on my PC.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I actually got it off of amazon. I used the free prime trial because shipping was going to be incredibly expensive... I think the total weight was close to 250lbs.

Corner section: Click
30" Extension: Click
31" Rounded end piece: Click

I also liked the desk so much I picked up their bookcase. Once I save for a TV I think I'll also be getting their TV Stand/Hutch. Very nice quality, well worth every penny!

Is it actually black or reddish-brown?

Heh. Apparently, this item ships for free too. Which is quite surprising.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

volkadav posted:

Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs? I've started working from home and while my $100 office depot special was fine for "a few hours after work, here and there", it's kinda sucking to sit in for 8+ hours a day, five days a week. Price is a concern, of course, but if I get a great chair that will last for years for my $500-900 I'd consider it money well spent. Thanks in advance!

(I should just tip over my chair in the NYC office the next time I'm on-site to see what it is, because it is pretty awesome, but ... :effort: ;))

To contribute to the desk discussion, I've got the $129 minimalist Jonas desk from Ikea and have no complaints. For the price, it's working quite nicely.

I use the Herman-Miller Aeron every day at work. The office is full of them.

It is awesome. Extremely comfortable and adjustable. It will last you a very very long time.

Kazy posted:

Got a new setup, now with less precarious balancing of a laptop and monitor on a lovely laptop cart!

Yes, I know my cables are a total mess. :argh: The TV is pretty much only for the Xbox, I have a WinTV hooked up to a splitter for my cable so I get the ClearQAM stations on my PC.

That monitor at the edge of the table on the right is just an accident waiting to happen when someone hits it when they open the door.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 10, 2009

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Steakandchips posted:

I use the Herman-Miller Aeron every day at work. The office is full of them.

It is awesome. Extremely comfortable and adjustable. It will last you a very very long time.

Yeah, same here, everyone has aeron chairs. I don't know why they spent so much on them but i guess telecom company that was founded late 90s == aeron chairs.

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe

volkadav posted:

Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs?

The place where I used to work was full of Aerons, and where I work now everybody has the choice of the Mirra or the Steelcase Amia. I actually prefer the Mirra a lot more than the Aeron, it forces me to sit properly and the solid back gives more support, the Aerons used to give me back/shoulder ache no matter how I adjusted them. I thought the Amia was horrible, although most of the office picks them because they don't spend the time to properly adjust and adapt to the Mirra and they assume cushioned = comfort. I ended up buying a Mirra for home too, plus they're a little cheaper than the Aeron.

To contribute, I'm using some glass-topped steel frame thing I got off ebay, however it's all wrong and I'm about to buy the T-legged Ikea Galant.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

the posted:

I'm looking for a white minimalist designer desk.

Suggestions?
Could you paint a Mikael? (I’m sure they used to come in white?)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10111489

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Steakandchips posted:

That monitor at the edge of the table on the right is just an accident waiting to happen when someone hits it when they open the door.

It's not in the door's way at all. I've accidentally bumped into it a couple of times, but that only pushed it into the middle of the desk more. :v:

Though I guess I do have a knack for dangerous setups.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Sniep posted:

Yeah, same here, everyone has aeron chairs. I don't know why they spent so much on them but i guess telecom company that was founded late 90s == aeron chairs.

It's also the official chair of the United States Air Force (for the most part).

bavid
Jul 28, 2003

volkadav posted:

Humanscale Freedom

I've been using the humanscale Liberty chair for a few years and it's been great for comfort and posture. I do have a problem where the bottom plastic of the seat is cracking, so I need to get that replaced, but they've been great about sending me a replacement cushion in the past (when someone spilled something on it).

I prefer the mesh back to the solid freedom chair, but I am jealous of the headrest you can get with that. Also, the names are ridiculous, which earns them a few points in my book!

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

bavid posted:

I do have a problem where the bottom plastic of the seat is cracking, so I need to get that replaced, but they've been great about sending me a replacement cushion in the past

One great thing about the Aeron is the 12 year warranty on it. I'd assume that the other super-chairs would have above average warranties as well.

And if you're buying a super-chair, you'll probably want more than the average casters to run it around on. My Aeron casters were the basic casters you find on all chairs, so I went to http://www.coolcasters.com/ and got some decent wheels for it.

I went for something plainer, but they have a good variety.

Carnivean fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 10, 2009

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting - what makes those casters better? I'm still using the ones that came with the chair, and I think I actually don't want any that would roll easier. My floor is sloped ever so slightly down, so if my chair rolled too easily I think I'd be drifting backwards all day.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot
They're one piece, so they can't pull poo poo into them and wrap it around the axle anywhere near as easily as the usual caster. They're softer finish and many of them are guaranteed safe to use on wood flooring. I actually got some rollerblade wheels for my chair in the end.

And finally, they're much cooler* than the usual casters.

* For relative values of cool.

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
Im going to one up you and get actual rollerblades to put on the feet of my chair. It'll only slide in one direction, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

For some content, here's my setup... For scale, that's a 30 inch monitor. It replaced my dell 2407wfp through an insane craigslist deal. I'm disappointed in the complete lack of any inputs other than DVI, but I do love having a huge screen.

The desk is mid century danish, and is nearly my ideal desk. I love how large it is, I just wish it had good keyboard tray so I could get the typing keyboard off of it. I'm nervous about adding my own, because I don't want to screw up the desk, but I'm thinking about trying to put something together.

The speakers have to go...they sound fine, but they're just way too big.

Edit for a few more details: As mentioned before, the chair is a humanscale liberty chair. The mouse is an MX Revolution, and it easily the greatest mouse I've ever had! The headphones are also the goon approved sennheiser HD580's, which still sound great after 8 years (though I did have to get two new cables for them).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bavid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 10, 2009

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Tab8715 posted:

Is it actually black or reddish-brown?

Heh. Apparently, this item ships for free too. Which is quite surprising.

Its a very very deep reddish brown. It really depends what lighting its in.

I was extremely surprised that it shipped for free because everything together weighed 200lbs+. A shipping company named CEVA shipped the main 60x47" desk because of the dimensions. I was a little skeptical after reading up on them, but they were absolutely great here.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I bought a second hand jerker this morning. This thing owns. Pics to come!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chief touching you posted:

I bought a second hand jerker this morning. This thing owns. Pics to come!

Just remember to use the :nws: tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Sniep posted:

It absolutely blows my mind to see offices full of Aerons.