Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Finally tidied up my desk :) It's still pretty full on there and I'm saving for a second monitor that will have to fit on there too somehow. Guess the printer will have to go somewhere else then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

My nerdcave. There's also a laptop that floats around.

Apparently I like Ikea. I really wanted a Jerker, but have to put up with a Frederik :(

apati
Nov 25, 2004
I wish I was an anal probe

Click here for the full 840x650 image.

Like it simple.
Cables, router and whatnot is mounted under the table.
Synergy+ and vnc to control the desktop computer.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

strwrsxprt posted:

A glass desk would allow me to see all of the cables underneath my desk while I'm sitting at it which would bug the hell out of me.

Or this:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

mcsuede posted:

Or this:

Didn't I see this room on that show Hoarders?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mcsuede posted:

Or this:
Anyone know what kind of desk that is? Looks like a pretty good desk to me and im not a filthy hoarder so I think it would look better in my room :shobon:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Anyone know what kind of desk that is? Looks like a pretty good desk to me and im not a filthy hoarder so I think it would look better in my room :shobon:

You realise that the reason the picture was posted was because the glass in the desk had shattered, right?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

mcsuede posted:

Or this:

:ohdear: I hope no one was sitting there at the time, that glass (is it tempered?) could really cut up your legs.

Between that image and the fact the glass would get dirty I think I'll never get a glass top desk.

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
Glass desks are the worst invention in the history of mankind. Anyone who buys one gets what they deserve. In fact, I hated mine so much, I left it behind when I moved (well that, and I didn't have the time/truck space to get it out of there).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If you want to make a person with OCD go insane, buy him or her a glass table. It's impossible to keep an immaculately clean environment.

Death by Toaster
Oct 8, 2008
This post inspired me to actually use my desk!

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Death by Toaster posted:

Now I'm curious, besides your desk what do you use?

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Death by Toaster posted:

Why the hell aren't you using that desk? That desk is amazing.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Yakattak posted:

Now I'm curious, besides your desk what do you use?

I'm guessing...laptop on the...lap?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Death by Toaster posted:

The true highlight of this picture is in the top right corner. I want the Atlantis sets but can't rationalize the hit to the checking account quite yet.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Spike McAwesome posted:

Glass desks are the worst invention in the history of mankind. Anyone who buys one gets what they deserve. In fact, I hated mine so much, I left it behind when I moved (well that, and I didn't have the time/truck space to get it out of there).

I just bought one and it rules so I'm going to have to disagree. Once I tie back the cables so that they run down the back of the main trestles there will be hardly anything visible except the keyboard cable. The one downside apart from being heavy as gently caress is that for the first time in years I'll have to use a mousemat but I hear the Razer pads are way better than using a tabletop anyway.

kyacker
Nov 17, 2003

ll klye baker. he is wife.
I figure that the most of you have been to monoprice about 100 billion times but for those of you trying to hide your wires in the walls and want a really clean look and feel to your media centers/desks, check out their selection of wall plates: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425
You cannot find them anywhere else cheaper.
Also, if you want to go with a more flexible option, you can go with these, which make great pockets for your wires. You can easily just run new wires if your configuration changes.
I just got done rewiring my entire clinic with flat screens and used the hell out of these.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

FLX posted:

Finally tidied up my desk :) It's still pretty full on there and I'm saving for a second monitor that will have to fit on there too somehow. Guess the printer will have to go somewhere else then.

So your head is always turns to the right, then?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

epswing posted:

So your head is always turns to the right, then?

That's true. Well, the green box could go too, so I could put the screens further to the left. I guess I'll see about that once I got the monitor.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Death by Toaster posted:

Tarckbike jersey hell yeah!

Death by Toaster
Oct 8, 2008

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm guessing...laptop on the...lap?

This, I love my little Eee PC.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Tarckbike jersey hell yeah!

Of course! Now spring needs to come along so I can use it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

LegionX posted:

:cheers: Staedtler Triplus Fineliner friend!

Thanks to this thread I bought some of those, and I am completely blown away. Thank you guys so much for turning me on to them.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

ptier posted:

Thanks to this thread I bought some of those, and I am completely blown away. Thank you guys so much for turning me on to them.

And thanks to you, I bought 10 black ones.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
Now added with a free 2nd screen!

Especially handy for putting 24/7 running apps on (winamp/taskmanager etc) and handy tool for seeing how much ram/cpu games use while I'm playing.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Cizzo posted:

And thanks to you, I bought 10 black ones.

Where did you get those? I can only seem to find color packs.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

ptier posted:

Where did you get those? I can only seem to find color packs.

http://artstuff.net/

Their site looks like some pretty "local business-y" stuff but I figured why not. At .83$ per pen I figured it couldn't hurt.

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

ptier posted:

Have fun replacing them every other month because the nibs wear down!

The curse ... of the ... fineliners...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
mrk's desktop has made me absolutely jealous.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

Just got a second monitor yesterday, but I need a new desk and one of those badass Ergotron desk mounted dual monitor arms.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've noticed that the nicer looking desktops are the ones that are kept neat and free from excess items.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mrk posted:

handy tool for seeing how much ram/cpu games use while I'm playing.
While you're doing that you should keep an eye on how much CPU the task manager is using while doing the monitoring.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Dominoes posted:

I've noticed that the nicer looking desktops are the ones that are kept neat and free from excess items.

I don't know, something just seems missing when there's no glass of beer on a coaster with the empty bottle posed next to it.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Ta!

Saukkis posted:

While you're doing that you should keep an eye on how much CPU the task manager is using while doing the monitoring.

It uses none :)

You do realise that the Windows monitoring services run in the background anyway so loading the frontend has no impact on CPU time at all.

Things like event monitor, resource and performance monitor, background services etc are all running constantly anyway and the taskmanager doesn't even register under the running processes for even 1% CPU time.

Yes taskmgr.exe will use 16MB of RAM but hey, I have 8GB of RAM....

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mrk posted:

You do realise that the Windows monitoring services run in the background anyway so loading the frontend has no impact on CPU time at all.

I'm pretty sure it takes some CPU time to draw a UI vs not draw a UI. ;)

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

The Windows 7 and Vista UI is drawn via DWM on your GPU, not CPU.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Phase 1 (waiting on a piece of the frame to arrive from Ikea).

lovely camera phone.
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/b47b242c25299cb1ff8217189192cff05484cef2/IMG_0287[1].JPG[/img]

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Harry Totterbottom posted:

lovely camera phone.
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/b47b242c25299cb1ff8217189192cff05484cef2/IMG_0287[1].JPG[/timg]

Exif tags say iPhone, so I agree. lovely camera phone.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Harry Totterbottom posted:

lovely camera phone.
[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/b47b242c25299cb1ff8217189192cff05484cef2/IMG_0287[1].JPG[/timg]

How do you manage that? I can't stand my arm hanging out, especially not over the corner of the desk like that.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

PopeOnARope posted:

How do you manage that? I can't stand my arm hanging out, especially not over the corner of the desk like that.

Looks like there will be more desk filling in there soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

headcase posted:

Looks like there will be more desk filling in there soon.

Pretty sure that's what's sitting on the side of drawers there. As he said, he's waiting for part of the frame from Ikea. I actually bought the table top and legs from Ikea once but forgot to get the frame with it. drat Ikea and their weird system.