Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

BorderPatrol posted:

Here's my brother-in-law's desk. He currently lives in the same house as my wife and I and I get to experience this 10 feet from our bedroom door.

He uses this computer every day for a couple hours. Now he did manage to make a room to actually use the keyboard and mouse.

Living like poo poo indeed.

Not shown: The 14 (I counted) empty McDonalds fast food bags (most being 20 piece McNugget meals).

He has to be moving a lot of stuff around each time he wants to use that computer. Also he can't possibly need all that poo poo. Give the man a garbage can as a thoughtful present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jarl posted:

He has to be moving a lot of stuff around each time he wants to use that computer. Also he can't possibly need all that poo poo. Give the man a garbage can as a thoughtful present.

He doesn't move anything. His forearms don't touch the desk when he types, the hovers above the mess and pecks at the keys.

He also bought himself a nice stainless steel trash can with flip up lid about a month ago. Flipping up the lid was too much work so he has a box of socks on top of the trashcan and a trashbag with trash is on the floor next to it.

I wish I was joking :smith:

Bonus edit: He's also a huge ICP fan

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Bonus edit: He's also a huge ICP fan

Time to toss out the garbage, and I don't mean just what he's failing to place in the silver trash can.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

My Lord in Heaven.

I couldn't live in a house that contained that.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Cizzo posted:

http://artstuff.net/

Their site looks like some pretty "local business-y" stuff but I figured why not. At .83$ per pen I figured it couldn't hurt.

Quoting myself here because the pens arrived and they are indeed amazing.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Zwille posted:

I'm a bit suspicious of the stability of these - back in our dorm we had them in every common room and they fell apart quickly, the legs twisting where they joined into the top part. They're dirt cheap for a reason.

I built my own table rack a while ago, out of a wood end table. Just make your own baby!

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Crowley posted:

You can't just post that keyboard and not explain how it is.

Which one - the Kinesis, the ABS M1 snugged up under the monitor, or the one on the Selectric? :v: ;)

The Kinesis is probably the best ergonomic keyboard I've ever used. I've tried Microsoft's "natural" ones and hated the feel of the keys-they were really gummy and slow-feeling. I don't know if they're still using them or not on the newer ones, but my Kinesis has brown Cherry mechanical key switches, which makes it really low-effort to type on but still allows for great positive feedback on each key press. I picked mine up used, but would gladly pay full price for a new one if it came to that-it's allowed me to keep typing in spite of wrists that go numb at so much as the sight of a standard keyboard.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Cleaned off my desk today. The camera flips out with these yellow walls so I had to try and brighten the picture. I should paint and replace my falling apart chair but :effort:

Here's my foobar2000 set up on my second monitor.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

Sporadic posted:

I like this a lot. Is that that flipclock screensaver in the bottom right?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sorry for the phone snapshot; my camera's in the shop for a couple weeks.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sporadic posted:

Hey I do that too. :3:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2010

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Zwille posted:

I'm a bit suspicious of the stability of these - back in our dorm we had them in every common room and they fell apart quickly, the legs twisting where they joined into the top part. They're dirt cheap for a reason.

The rackmounted equipment lends the structure additional support. They become quite solid

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

That looks pretty nice. Would you mind posting your (virtual) desktop?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

ninepints posted:

That looks pretty nice. Would you mind posting your (virtual) desktop?

Thanks! Sure... This is my desktop, using Rainmeter for the text stuff and DisplayFusion to put a zoomed/cropped section of that wallpaper on my second screen.

I like it a lot. I wish I could claim credit, but aside from a few minor tweaks, it's a complete rip-off of this dude: http://customize.org/screenshots/66463.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 3, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Cleaned off my desk today. The camera flips out with these yellow walls so I had to try and brighten the picture. I should paint and replace my falling apart chair but :effort:

hey there desk buddy! :hfive: does yours wobble a little side to side? I have everything tightened and it wobbles just a little.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

Crowley posted:

You can't just post that keyboard and not explain how it is.

I believe it's this keyboard: http://id34112.securedata.net/kinesis-ergo/advantage.htm

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I plan to get more attractive speakers (because looks are important) and a 27 inch iMac. One day I'll get rid of my n-gage - but the drat thing is indestructible.

Oh and did I mention I'm going to buy an iPad for no other reason than I think it'll look cool on my desk.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 3, 2010

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

Which one - the Kinesis, the ABS M1 snugged up under the monitor, or the one on the Selectric? :v: ;)

The Kinesis is probably the best ergonomic keyboard I've ever used. I've tried Microsoft's "natural" ones and hated the feel of the keys-they were really gummy and slow-feeling. I don't know if they're still using them or not on the newer ones, but my Kinesis has brown Cherry mechanical key switches, which makes it really low-effort to type on but still allows for great positive feedback on each key press. I picked mine up used, but would gladly pay full price for a new one if it came to that-it's allowed me to keep typing in spite of wrists that go numb at so much as the sight of a standard keyboard.

We have a Kinesis at work. It was purchased for an employee who had a doctor's note. He has since left and nobody else can manage to type on the crazy contraption so we're going to sell it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Erwin posted:

We have a Kinesis at work. It was purchased for an employee who had a doctor's note. He has since left and nobody else can manage to type on the crazy contraption so we're going to sell it.

You should see if you can give it away first.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

strayan posted:

I plan to get more attractive speakers (because looks are important) and a 27 inch iMac. One day I'll get rid of my n-gage - but the drat thing is indestructible.

Oh and did I mention I'm going to buy an iPad for no other reason than I think it'll look cool on my desk.

Is that thing to the left a fan? I think I remember seeing those somewhere but I am not sure of myself. And bose computer speakers look nice with Apple desktops...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kingfet posted:

Is that thing to the left a fan? I think I remember seeing those somewhere but I am not sure of myself. And bose computer speakers look nice with Apple desktops...

http://www.dyson.com/fans/

It's $300.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

kingfet posted:

Dyson Fan I'm presuming?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

kingfet posted:

But those are not bose speakers?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sniep posted:

But those are not bose speakers?

They are the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speaker System.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Mr. The Jeffers posted:

You need to post your experiences over in the Keyboard Megathread

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

strayan posted:

You should see if you can give it away first.

It cost us a lot and is still worth good money.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

http://www.dyson.com/fans/

It's $300.

I like nice looking things and am willing to spend extra for things that look nice. But I would not spend 300 dollars for a fan.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Milo Pollywalter posted:

I like this a lot. Is that that flipclock screensaver in the bottom right?

Yeah, it was the only way I could figure out how to get a clock on it (foo_vis_screensaver plus Fliqlo). The only problem is that I have to enable layout editing mode and select Fliqlo every time I open foobar to get the clock to show up.

Trustworthy posted:

Hey I do that too. :3:

Awesome :hfive:

Photex posted:

hey there desk buddy! :hfive: does yours wobble a little side to side? I have everything tightened and it wobbles just a little.

Mine had a wobble until I tightened something (I think the little feet on the bottom? Can't really remember it was a few months ago when I first got the desk)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 3, 2010

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

mcsuede posted:

The rackmounted equipment lends the structure additional support. They become quite solid

Yeah, it's kind of funny that the electronics which are supposed to be held by the structure actually give the structure the support it needs to be held together in the first place. I'm curious if they'll still fall apart if you put your legs up on them?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Mine had a wobble until I tightened something (I think the little feet on the bottom? Can't really remember it was a few months ago when I first got the desk)

This is true of all ikea furniture. Note: if you own anything that is flatpack, and it gets a bit loose tighten it ASAP. Continuing to use it without tightening it is what leads to the poo poo breaking or wearing apart, because that bit of wobble that would be solved with a turn or two of the leg/allen wrench is causing the hardware to grind away at its support.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Trustworthy posted:

Your picture is crooked, bad.

algo
Oct 20, 2002

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

My living-like-poo poo work desktop

algo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 3, 2010

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

algo posted:

My living-like-poo poo work desktop

Wow this reminds me of office space. Even the lighting looks gloomy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Zwille posted:

Yeah, it's kind of funny that the electronics which are supposed to be held by the structure actually give the structure the support it needs to be held together in the first place. I'm curious if they'll still fall apart if you put your legs up on them?
I'm just concerned that racking a 4u file server with 16 hard drives at 1.39 lbs each would be too much for it. Even a solid wood table's legs seems way too unstable for about 60 lbs of equipment with not great steel construction (those Norco RPC-4020 cases aren't rock solid). I'd rather just buy a cheaper 12u cabinet with casters than cheap out with a $8 side table (I was just at Ikea the other day and noticed they're $8 now). Even the Lack coffee table worries the hell out of me. Perhaps I'm not the right crowd for a cheapo rack, but when I'm racking critical hardware for my home datacenter, I'd rather go with something that at least offers me peace of mind for maybe another $80. The noise alone (even in a garage) would be too much for me to handle.

algo
Oct 20, 2002

Click here for the full 2048x299 image.

My home desktop

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I need some serious organization

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ample posted:

Wow this reminds me of office space. Even the lighting looks gloomy.

Looks like after hours/lights are off, to me..

algo
Oct 20, 2002

Sniep posted:

Looks like after hours/lights are off, to me..

.../camera phone

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Some people asked me for better quality pictures, so here goes!

Edit: Imageshack is crap. Try these

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

On second pic, you can admire my computer crashing and getting stuck in BIOS for some reason. Only a punch on the thing as it boots lets it pass it and go to windows. If anyone has any input on this, btw, it would be very welcome. It happened as I plugged some USB stuff on the front panel.

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryChef
Sep 19, 2006

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

She's my debugger!