Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's rather liberating to be finally rid of the "computer desk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I want to move the tower off of the table, but I don't want to just set it on the floor because I'm afraid I'll spill things into it. I'm too lazy to try and hide wires.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

ptier posted:

Finished renovating the attic in GoonStyle™ and got the system up today. I am completely Living Like poo poo at the moment, but I'll get the wire managed as soon as it makes me angry which should be tomorrow.

Now with the addition of an Ergotron LX Arm for the monitor and mounts for my speakers, I finally have some empty desk space.

Drilling is Fun!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Antec 900 :barf:

Do that system some justice and get yourself a P183 or a P180 Mini if you're running a mATX system.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Godzilla07 posted:

Do that system some justice and get yourself a P183 or a P180 Mini if you're running a mATX system.
Even those Antecs are kind of lovely, sorry. What you're looking for in mATX is the Supermicro SC731. The quality in design and construction you'd expect form a well-known server company who decided to make a mATX workstation case.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Godzilla07 posted:

It was on sale, it has air flow and space for my stuff, why spend money again on another metal box without any real improvement? Yea its blue but it's not in my bedroom so I don't care.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ptier posted:

Click here for the full 1026x1368 image.

I love my 900 Except when I open it up, then I want to destroy it because there's so little room inside. You should have seen it when I tried to shove 4 gpu's and 4 sata drives inside of it. It was not pretty.

Actually I'll show you anyways.

Click here for the full 1232x1642 image.

It's not quite that bad anymore (doesn't have the 2nd 4850, at least), but it's still a real pain to work with whenever I open it up, even after cutting some holes to run cables through and whatnot.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The inside of yours looks like the inside of mine. Every time I think about getting a new HDD or video card, it reminds me that I want a new case first.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

ptier posted:

Now with the addition of an Ergotron LX Arm for the monitor and mounts for my speakers, I finally have some empty desk space.

Is that a print or a printout? That's my wallpaper and I love it.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry about the horrific image quality.

Click here for the full 1249x682 image.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech MX15 (I think?) mouse
Razer Mousemat
Logitech I-don't-know-what 5.1 speakers
Sennheiser HD 215's for fulli sikk DJ'ing brah (I don't like them)
Thermaltake Armor+ case (I don't like that either)
300Gb External HDD
8Gb Kingston RAM
2.73Ghz Quadcore Intel
1Tb HDD
750GB HDD
Nvidia Leadtek 285GTX 1Gb
Zalman something CPU fan
Thermaltake 750W

It's a stupid computer on a dumb desk, I don't know, the setup is ugly as sin and I have 0 pride in it. Planning a new PC case when I redecorate.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The inside of yours looks like the inside of mine. Every time I think about getting a new HDD or video card, it reminds me that I want a new case first.

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to replace it, but I've just spent too much time screwing with mine to want to get rid of it. :smith:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Mr. Despair posted:

Actually I'll show you anyways.

Click here for the full 1232x1642 image.

Hey, I want to play the "Don't buy a 900" game too.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

This was right before I did a major overhaul. Before rebuilding, I thought I'd be smart and cut some holes in the motherboard tray to route cables through. It worked out real nice and clean right up until I tried to put the other side panel on and realized there's not enough room to clear anything. So now my computer sits with a bunch of wires hanging out the side.

If I didn't hate this case so much I'd try and get it zip tied enough to stuff in there but gently caress it.

Moral of the story is don't ever buy a 900.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Seeing all these pics of 900's without the interior painted makes me glad that I painted mine. It just looks so much better. I'll throw up a pic when I get my new GPU tuesday.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

glompix posted:

Is that a print or a printout? That's my wallpaper and I love it.

Print, I don't remember exactly where I got it, it was off the Artist's site to the place he was selling them through.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EnergizerFellow posted:

Even those Antecs are kind of lovely, sorry. What you're looking for in mATX is the Supermicro SC731. The quality in design and construction you'd expect form a well-known server company who decided to make a mATX workstation case.
While that does look perfect for my needs, it's £100, which is about double what I would want to pay. Maybe one day I'll find one cheap :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
What do you guys use to fight the cable mess that's behind every desk as soon as you add more than a tower and a monitor?

I have cables hanging down from the whole width of my desk and beyond, going into the tower from various sources and back again, so regular cable tubes don't work for me.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FLX posted:

What do you guys use to fight the cable mess that's behind every desk as soon as you add more than a tower and a monitor?

I have cables hanging down from the whole width of my desk and beyond, going into the tower from various sources and back again, so regular cable tubes don't work for me.

I have a Dell 2007WFP, which allows me to route things through the monitor stand. Other than that, I'll tie as many things together as I can with twist ties (because I have plenty laying around--you may prefer velcro straps if you need to buy some). This will leave 2 or 3 bundles of cables coming out from behind my desk instead of a huge chaotic mess of wires. It also helps that my PC tower is under the desk, so the cables generally follow a neat path from point A to B, instead of dangling behind the desk in a "U" shape.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

FLX posted:

Velcro ties and wire looms.

It's also good to try and coil some of the cabling on either side, if possible, to help control the length.

Harry Totterbottom fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 1, 2010

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

fknlo posted:

I want to move the tower off of the table, but I don't want to just set it on the floor because I'm afraid I'll spill things into it. I'm too lazy to try and hide wires.

Can I get the source for that wallpaper? I love it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Velcro ties

This is the pro answer, way better than zip ties because you can readjust with ease.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mugmoor posted:

Can I get the source for that wallpaper? I love it.

Source.

J. Cardigan
Nov 8, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

the posted:

It's rather liberating to be finally rid of the "computer desk."

Hi there, local goon. I have a friend who works at that particular coffee establishment.

To contribute:

Sometimes I'm not this messy, but I usually am. I can't do anything about the cables because of the crappy desk and crappy apartment layout.

J. Cardigan fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 1, 2010

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

J. Cardigan posted:

Hi there, local goon. I have a friend who works at that particular coffee establishment.

To contribute:

Sometimes I'm not this messy, but I usually am. I can't do anything about the cables because of the crappy desk and crappy apartment layout.

Where did you get that poster? I must have it.

Oh, Meatballs
Mar 30, 2006
got to da choppa

Mugmoor posted:

Heh I agree, BtBaM is a big time favorite of mine. (Saw them in concert in January!)

Anyway, here's a rather old picture of my setup. The three monitor thing has definitely since gone away. Maybe the problems I was having then would be gone now with my current newer computer (not pictured).

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

J. Cardigan posted:

To contribute:

Screw the poster, where did you get the wallpaper?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

J. Cardigan posted:

I am going to ask every person there if they have stairs.

J. Cardigan
Nov 8, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Mugmoor posted:

My friend stole it from the green room after he interviewed the band (:cool:). I didn't actually get to go see them play, though, because I'm perpetually broke.

e: Here's a better shot of the poster. It's a little fuzzy because I had to turn off the flash.

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

quote:

Screw the poster, where did you get the wallpaper?
https://www.interfacelift.com

the posted:

I am going to ask every person there if they have stairs.
He's not a goon and I almost never go in there. I might have been twice, although I was at the pool place next door last friday. The coffee was pretty good, though.

J. Cardigan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 3, 2010

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

J. Cardigan posted:

My friend stole it from the green room after he interviewed the band (:cool:). I didn't actually get to go see them play, though, because I'm perpetually broke.

e: Here's a better shot of the poster. It's a little fuzzy because I had to turn off the flash.

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

He's not a goon and I almost never go in there. I might have been twice, although I was at the pool place next door last friday. The coffee was pretty good, though.

Orange Peel eh?

Johnson City, TN here.

some of my friends are actually in brave young, check out their other band.. advent.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

J. Cardigan posted:

Any chance you can give us the filename or something. That site has a pretty huge library of wallpapers.

J. Cardigan
Nov 8, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
Yeah, after I posted that I kind of figured it wouldn't be very helpful. My b.

Here you go

J. Cardigan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 6, 2010

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Just moved my desk and added some LED lighting to it. The backlight slowly fades between a range of colours, although the stitched panorama makes it look like it's just two colours left and right. I Still have cables everywhere despite having some pegboard sitting right here to take care of it... there's tomorrow for that.

flickr

Compared to what it was four years ago:

flickr

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 14, 2010

SMP
May 5, 2009

Milo Pollywalter posted:

flickr

:swoon:

Anyway, here's my current setup. After seeing that picture though I feel inadequate.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Are you kidding me? I love the surface of your desk, I bet with a bit better lighting you could blow my setup out of the water. And we're both lazy as gently caress with out cables.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 15, 2010

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just moved to a new apartment, and finally don't have to keep my workspace in my living room.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

A view of my half-assed attempt at cable management. In my previous apartment, there was pretty much a pile of cables 6 inches deep down there. I could probably move the phone charger to the main powerstrip, and get a small two or three plug extension to move the subwoofer's power cord.

And yes, that jar of pens is a little overkill. I plan on replacing that this weekend. My router, modem and NAS are on a rack elsewhere in the room, but it's filled with unorganized wires and cables I have to deal with.

whitechocolate
Dec 15, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

I just moved to a new apartment, and finally don't have to keep my workspace in my living room.

A view of my half-assed attempt at cable management. In my previous apartment, there was pretty much a pile of cables 6 inches deep down there. I could probably move the phone charger to the main powerstrip, and get a small two or three plug extension to move the subwoofer's power cord.

And yes, that jar of pens is a little overkill. I plan on replacing that this weekend. My router, modem and NAS are on a rack elsewhere in the room, but it's filled with unorganized wires and cables I have to deal with.

What desk is that? That looks almost exactly like what I've been looking for.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It's from Ikea and it's cheap, but very sturdy.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00089262

It can be assembled with the storage on the right or left.

I kind of want a corner desk now that I have, well, a corner. :(

edit: v That would certainly work

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 16, 2010

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SLOSifl posted:

It's from Ikea and it's cheap, but very sturdy.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00089262

It can be assembled with the storage on the right or left.

I kind of want a corner desk now that I have, well, a corner. :(

Get a second one of these, put the storage on the left, and arrange them in an L-shape in the corner. Tada! :)

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Lots of desks but what are some of you all using for chairs? I have been chair shopping recently and it is just a huge pain in the rear end. All the go to chairs are outside of my budget right now(leap, Mirra etc). I have around 300 to spend but I am just going nuts since it is hard to find anyone outside of like office depot that sells things on that end. I can find stuff online, but I don't trust ordering a chair I have never even sat in. At this point I am thinking of just picking up a reaction because our local Costco happens to have one, but it seems like there has to be something I am missing.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I was actually in the market a couple weeks ago for a new chair, and i happened to walk into a Storables, and ran across one of these:

http://www.organizeit.com/pooffchair-bungee.asp

At first i was REALLY skeptical on how well it would last, feel and overall support hours of sitting. Its been two weeks and i have to admit, it could be the most comfortable chair i have sat in, and my work has some super nice chairs we use. I guess for $199, if you want somethng light, breathable, and not full of fake leather and padding, these Bungee Chairs are awesome.

Link to Storables for kicks: http://www.storables.com/Shop/Furniture/Furniture/?launch_pg=itemPage&launch_sel=1009339&title=Brown+High+Back+Bungee+Chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Bungeeeee

While I actually like the feel of those, they just don't have enough adjustments for tilt, arms etc.

I don't have a problem with a plain task chair, the Reaction is a pretty much the original task chair, I just like having more options and feel like there has to be something I am missing. There is this huge gap between cheap Office Depot chairs and going to a high end furniture store.

Hell, I know there is because it is hard to find places to try out even the "cheaper" options from Steelcase or Herman Miller. I mean, I tried out http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-Recycled-Mesh-Mid/ in store and it actually fit the bill as far as comfort and adjustments go, but half the reviews mention breaking parts and they are way to consistent for my taste. That is what I am wondering, where do you go to try out low mid to mid range task chairs as opposed to high to ultra high end.