Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

debdrup posted:

Well, it's definitely not unique in any way - it's just a decent table that does what I need it to do.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across condescending. I think I meant that more in response to the guy who was asking where to buy one, though it sounds like the stores I mentioned don't carry them. Maybe my memory is rusty since I haven't really been to a Staples or Office Depot in like five or six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Martytoof posted:

Is that just an Ikea top? I'm rocking the same thing and it's basically a dust magnet if I don't dust it every other day.

Not that I mind, it looks too nice to bitch about. The only complaint I have about mine (other than the dust I guess) is that the painted surface wears really quickly under moderate use. The black finish starts to get lighter in places.

Indeed it is, it was the so cheap at the time so how could I say no? lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randuin posted:

They are, M-Audio BX-8's

I just sold a whole set of 2x Studiophile BX8a Deluxe, 1x M-Audio EX66 Reference Monitor and a SBX10 since I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I got them for free basically for the taking, since the radio station that used them was closing down and I'd been doing a lot of DJ work and plenty of other things (among other things, setting everything they had up when they started out). However, they're simply too big for my room/desk and the Creative Inspire T7300 that I have have good enough sound for my audiophile needs (and if not, I have my trusty HD650).

Tab8715 posted:

Don't buy the cheap monitor arms, if you want one, you're going to have to shell out for an Egotron. The rest just have too much give, at least for my 2001wfp.

I had an offer from a friend who saw this thread, he says that if I can provide him with the specs he'll build and paint a custom setup for me - so that's probably what I'm going to end up doing, since I know I can get a decent price from him (basically just materials) and I can get exactly what I want.

Martytoof posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to come across condescending.

Don't worry, didn't take it as such.

In other news, I'm in talks with a friend who's good at wood-working and such to make a new desk for me based on a design that a friend of mine has drawn out. Here's a bit of concept art:

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Randuin posted:

This thread has made me realize how dusty my desk is.

Brown or blues?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

debdrup posted:

In other news, I'm in talks with a friend who's good at wood-working and such to make a new desk for me based on a design that a friend of mine has drawn out. Here's a bit of concept art:

Looks good. Although make the shelf for the monitors wider. You never know if you might upgrade to bigger side screens.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

identikit posted:

Looks good. Although make the shelf for the monitors wider. You never know if you might upgrade to bigger side screens.

Yeah, I have considered that - but it's not yet a given that it's going to be made - however, I think with the monitor arms (I'm thinking of getting made one that can handle up to six monitors), it shouldn't be a problem.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Didn't bother to clean up. The green poo poo in the bottle is skittle vodka if you're wondering.

23" LG wide screen
17" MSI gaming laptop
47" Sony Bravia 60hz

Ugly blue couch
Mice - MX518(desk), Razer Naga(couch)
Keyboards - Dynex general keyboard(desk), Logitech G11 back-lit keyboard(couch)
Left of couch area; BC Rich Warlock and 1x12 Line-6 Spider guitar amp
PC is to the far right of the desk
TV tray stand as mouse platform for gaming on ugly blue couch.
TV/Monitor background pic:

Click here for the full 1280x672 image.

edit

Kazy posted:

Sup laptop buddy. How do you like it?

Goddamn Hippy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 29, 2010

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

IT Guy posted:

Brown or blues?

Browns, I love the lightness

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

identikit posted:

flip the side panels into portrait makes lining the resolutions easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Randuin posted:

Indeed it is, it was the so cheap at the time so how could I say no? lol

I love it though. When this one goes I'm going to get another. Seriously, amazing looking black desk for next to nothing.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

debdrup posted:

What is that, a 26" with two 15's?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's a shame this came out so lovely because I think it actually looks a LOT better than this crappy photomerge. Maybe the lighting or something. Also it's a terrible iPhone camera photo.

Oh well. A little bit of cable hell on the left but otherwise not too horrifying.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

It's a shame this came out so lovely because I think it actually looks a LOT better than this crappy photomerge. Maybe the lighting or something. Also it's a terrible iPhone camera photo.

Oh well. A little bit of cable hell on the left but otherwise not too horrifying.

Why keep the 2924M around when it looks like you have a nice pair of 2950-12s underneath it?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just got a Mirra chair. Ahh man, it feels so strange to get up and walk around and NOT feel my back/have back pains.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ragzilla posted:

Why keep the 2924M around when it looks like you have a nice pair of 2950-12s underneath it?

I hate it's ancient IOS so much, but it literally cost me like two bucks and lets me simulate a three switch STP topology, among other things. Trust me, the moment I get the money It'll be replaced by a 3550 of some kind.

Also no real reason to throw out equipment in a home lab. Worst case I can use it to simulate an end device :3:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

What is that, a 26" with two 15's?

Don't know, actually - don't think it's specced out in the drawings.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking

I'm about to move into my office monday or tuesday and this is the kind of desk I am provided.

any cool tricks with magnets and other things for metal desks.

I want to set this thing up perfectly the first go around.

I will be working on iPhones, Macs and PC at this desk. I also have a desktop, a 24 in monitor, and a 15 in monitor I plan to put on it. I love the simplicity of some of your desks.

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!

Martytoof posted:

I hate it's ancient IOS so much, but it literally cost me like two bucks and lets me simulate a three switch STP topology, among other things. Trust me, the moment I get the money It'll be replaced by a 3550 of some kind.

Also no real reason to throw out equipment in a home lab. Worst case I can use it to simulate an end device :3:

Martytoof where did you get that rack? My home lab has exceeded my little stand up rack:

(don't really have it wired up for much here)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

What do you guys use these home server racks for? Just hosting websites and poo poo?

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!
Networking practice.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Racks are for pussies.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

If you want tons of easy cheapshit IKEA racks:

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

Randuin posted:

This thread has made me realize how dusty my desk is.

That's beautiful. I'm insanely jealous.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Goddamn Hippy posted:

17" MSI gaming laptop

<snip>

Sup laptop buddy. How do you like it?

That wasn't directed at me or anything, but I have (had) the same MSI 17" laptop and it bugged the poo poo out of me. The keyboard would send phantom keypresses for keys my fingers were nowhere near all the time, and it got so hot I got a heat rash on my leg from it one time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

z0ratio hornblower posted:

Martytoof where did you get that rack? My home lab has exceeded my little stand up rack:

(don't really have it wired up for much here)

The perks of working at a university is that you can raid their trash for things like this. I also just scored a sweet wooden lab table that I'm going to refinish and hopefully use to replace the Ikea table. I'll definitely post pics when I'm done.

But seriously, if you live near a campus, go walk around to where they have loading docks or trash pickup. There's a good chance that you might find poo poo like this lying around. Of course, I'd recommend asking someone (anyone) walking around if they know if it's garbage and who to talk to about it. Worst case they don't know, best case they can put you in touch with someone who might just be your new hookup into the exciting world of university waste reclamation :3:

Centipeed posted:

What do you guys use these home server racks for? Just hosting websites and poo poo?

Cisco certification self study. You don't necessarily need real hardware, but I like to mess with cables and slowly go deaf from what sounds like a small jet engine with all the equipment powered on. It's the little things.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 4, 2010

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So recently I had to move my computer in my room, and since I didn't own a desk that I could fit in here or even actually say I own, I had to think of something, so I got this.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

This consists of two foldout coffee tables used as desks for my mouse, microphone and monitor, and my keyboard when I don't have it in my lap typing. The two small Computer cases Hold up my speakers, and my case on the right of the setup, with another (off screen) case I need to find a way to set up to use a CRT Monitor.

It's pretty bad, but it'll hold out until I can afford to buy or make my own desk.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Desk:

PC:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I can't seem to get used to my digital camera. Everything's either way too dark or blown out.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Handen posted:

I can't seem to get used to my digital camera. Everything's either way too dark or blown out.

Have you checked to make sure it doesn't have any retarded default settings like ridiculously high contrast?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Click here for the full 1747x1286 image.

My ghetto foray into standing desks.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Handen posted:

Centre metering, it's getting the exposure from the screen which is by far the brighest thing in the shot.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Raikiri posted:

Centre metering, it's getting the exposure from the screen which is by far the brighest thing in the shot.

Metering off the brightest thing in the shot is going to make the rest of it darker, so I'm not sure that's what happened here..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, if anything I'd say that centre metering is what you'd WANT in this instance.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Something else is going on too though. Not only are the monitor and lamp at clipped-out white, the speakers and everything underneath the desk is clipped-out black. Plus, the whole picture is grainy like the brightness is being cranked up post-exposure (did you do this in an editor or did it come out of your camera this way?).

That's why I was wondering about contrast settings.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, looking at it again I was wondering if some heavy-handed levels work was done on both ends and that's what has caused the exposure we see here..

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I cranked the exposure up a bit in photoshop to get anything from under the desk, and sharpened it a bit hence the grain. Looking into the camera settings, it was set at max contrast so now I know. v:shobon:v

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Handen posted:

I cranked the exposure up a bit in photoshop to get anything from under the desk, and sharpened it a bit hence the grain. Looking into the camera settings, it was set at max contrast so now I know. v:shobon:v

What sort of camera?

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.

Raikiri posted:

Desk:

Where did you get those speaker wedges? My speakers sit low and I'd love to have them point upwards towards me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Doctor Londom posted:

Where did you get those speaker wedges? My speakers sit low and I'd love to have them point upwards towards me.

They're called Auralex Mopads, do a pretty good job of isolating the speakers from the desk too.

I got mine on eBay, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Metering off the brightest thing in the shot is going to make the rest of it darker, so I'm not sure that's what happened here..

I meant he's exposed for the screen then cranked everything else up in post :)

Best way to do it without using a flash would be to take two exposures, one for the screen/lamp and one for everything else and combine them in PS.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 7, 2010