Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot
Desk - Now with 100% less Xbox 360s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Just redid my office, ikea style. Sorry the pics are slightly fuzzy, my sony cybershot is dying.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jassi007 posted:

RED

My retinas!

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

tehk posted:

You have me beat.

What you don't see is the ps3, kanex xd, and workstation behind the desk. The iMac makes a really good display for Gran Turismo 5. Only issue is the desk mounts the wheel too high off the ground so I feel like I am driving a bus.

This is how it looked before apple finally shipped the new iMac and display this week. I am still waiting for another cinema display and VESA adapters, but I made the mistake of ordering it at 11pm on new years eve. I still have not found a use for the two old 24" displays and the old iMac. Perhaps I need a bigger desk.

Click here for the full 800x598 image.

I'm assuming that's the 27"? Even though I'm anti-glossy screen, I want one so bad. Have you tried the video input?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

woot fatigue posted:

I'm assuming that's the 27"? Even though I'm anti-glossy screen, I want one so bad. Have you tried the video input?

Yeah they are the 27" models. Assuming you mean Target display mode, I have and it works well. FedEx is dropping off my slimkey v2 USB hub/stand today so finally the huge oversight in display heights will be solved.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Morales posted:

My retinas!

Yeah, I was going to say, I think that paint color would make me randomly lash out and beat people out of sheer agression.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Haha, yeah. I like red. I've wanted a red room since I was like 12. It doesn't raise the urge to kill more than usual.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Just bought my huge rear end Galant desk a couple of days ago and finally got around to setting it up in my new house. Holy poo poo that thing is godly large. Still trying to figure out how the hell I want to set everything up on the desk. I have a 42" LED TV and two 22" widescreen lcds, so I'm thinking either mounting the LED on the wall above the monitors, or find myself a decently priced dual monitor mount that can bring the monitors above the tv.

Pictures of said desk to come tomorrow!

Question for the lighting folks (thelightguy, I'm looking at you!); As someone who knows jack poo poo about lights, what's the best, not terribly expensive, route for clean white light? The CFL lights are just killing me.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

http://www.google.com/search?q=halogen+A19&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

Drop in replacement for standard screw base incandescent lamps, and just efficient enough to squeak by the legislation that's banning the sale of the traditional incandescent lamps.

Pros: Inherently dimmable, better color reproduction, and cheaper to purchase than good CFLs.
Cons: only ~25% more efficient than traditional incandescent lamps, so they're still expensive to run.

There are also a lot of tracklights and desk lamps out there now that use halogen MR16 lamps, which are actual theatrical lamps, and can be had in any color temperature you could possibly imagine.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

thelightguy posted:

http://www.google.com/search?q=halogen+A19&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

Drop in replacement for standard screw base incandescent lamps, and just efficient enough to squeak by the legislation that's banning the sale of the traditional incandescent lamps. Inherently dimmable, and cheaper to purchase than good CFLs too.

There are also a lot of tracklights and desk lamps out there now that use halogen MR16 lamps, which are actual theatrical lamps, and can be had in any color temperature you could possibly imagine.

You are amazing, sir, thank you. Time to hit up the stores tomorrow! Every single drat light in the new (old) house is a 60w yellow tint horrid bulb, and my current apartment is all CFL, so it's time for a change.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

CubanRefugee posted:

Just bought my huge rear end Galant desk a couple of days ago and finally got around to setting it up in my new house. Holy poo poo that thing is godly large. Still trying to figure out how the hell I want to set everything up on the desk. I have a 42" LED TV and two 22" widescreen lcds, so I'm thinking either mounting the LED on the wall above the monitors, or find myself a decently priced dual monitor mount that can bring the monitors above the tv.

Pictures of said desk to come tomorrow!

How is the Galant? Do you have the cable management cradle or anything?

I am shocked by the lack of minimalist modern desk with good cable management. I spent the better part of today desk shopping on our furniture row and desk seem to be stuck in 1992. Five office furniture stores kept trying to sell me shells made out of fiberboard for 300 dollars and 20 attachments to make it somewhat useful for another 300. The best part was each salesmen kept saying CPU instead of enclosure, case, or computer. I had to hold the laughs in so hard.

I really want the BlueLounge StudioDesk with its awesome cable management but 48 inches is too small for the amount of equipment I have. A galant with the powerstrip rack seems to be the only other option out there(Suggestions?). I've seen some nice custom desk on flickr, but making a desk out of a plane wing sounds a little too much work for me.

edit: Haha hours after this post I find out they are releasing a StudioDesk XL. I am totally going to pull the trigger if it is 55in+.

tehk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 8, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

tehk posted:

How is the Galant? Do you have the cable management cradle or anything?

The Galant is amazing, especially the giant non-conference table beast. I'm still in the process of getting my room together and figure out how I'm going to lay things out. Sadly, the rooms in this house are fairly small, 10'x10', so I'm playing desk/bookshelf tetris this weekend to figure it all out.

My drat Ikea was out of the Signum cable management cradle that I wanted, specifically the nice metal one, so I'm just ordering it online and having it shipped.

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?
Cheap desk, expensive chair.

• 11" MacBook Air. It is my sole development machine.
  • 27" Apple LED cinema display.
  • Thermaltake BlacX toaster-loading SATA enclosure.
  • Wacom tablet.
  • Some cheap Canon printer/scanner thing.
  • Some cheap IKEA desk.
I used to have piles of books on and around my desk, but now I have a bookshelf just out of frame. The Kindle is mostly for distraction-free reading of Instapaper and fiction.

Having such a tiny laptop is incredibly handy. I toss it in my bag no matter where I run off to. Usually it's not necessary, but it's light enough that I don't mind carrying it for the occasions when it's a life saver.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

So I'm still waiting on my signum cable cradle from Ikea, but I moved in today and I'd rather just redo my cables later. The Galant is an amazing rear end desk.

So here's the layout so far:

Bonus squinting dog and freaked out cat:

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Modern Vagina posted:

So simple and clean. Can I ask what make / model is that chair?

CubanRefugee posted:

The Galant is an amazing rear end desk.
That desk does look pretty awesome. Judging by the legs, can you raise / lower the height of the desk? If so, I'm sold on it.

Modern Vagina
Oct 11, 2004

Who wants chowder?

Mitsune posted:

So simple and clean. Can I ask what make / model is that chair?

It's an Aeron chair.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Mitsune posted:

That desk does look pretty awesome. Judging by the legs, can you raise / lower the height of the desk? If so, I'm sold on it.

You can indeed!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CubanRefugee posted:

So I'm still waiting on my signum cable cradle from Ikea, but I moved in today and I'd rather just redo my cables later. The Galant is an amazing rear end desk.

So here's the layout so far:

Awesome setup. Looking at what you came from, its even more impressive.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CubanRefugee posted:

:catdrugs:

Your pets are adorable, photogenic, and unusually cooperative. :3:

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

And either that is a really small dog or your cat is a huge.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Sir Nigel posted:

And either that is a really small dog or your cat is a huge.

Both actually. The dog is a toy poodle mix, and he weighs about 7lbs. The cat is a whopping 16lbs.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

CubanRefugee posted:

Both actually. The dog is a toy poodle mix, and he weighs about 7lbs. The cat is a whopping 16lbs.

Is your name Juan Arbuckle? Great setup. I may have to go the Galant route.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Click here for the full 1600x1189 image.

Managed to trade my old desk for a bigger one. Tons more desk space now. 2 main monitors are hooked up to my desktop, and the itx pc on the left doubles as a file server and htpc for a tv just off camera. Laptop gets controlled via Input Director (that's a VM running in the pic), and the samsung monitor isn't actually hooked up to anything right now. Will probably have a 360 hooked up to it once I figure out a decent way to get sound out of it.

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!

Modern Vagina posted:

Aerons are worth every penny. They are cheap when you look at the total cost of ownership over so many years compared to some china-made office max poo poo-stool.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1189 image.

Managed to trade my old desk for a bigger one. Tons more desk space now. 2 main monitors are hooked up to my desktop, and the itx pc on the left doubles as a file server and htpc for a tv just off camera. Laptop gets controlled via Input Director (that's a VM running in the pic), and the samsung monitor isn't actually hooked up to anything right now. Will probably have a 360 hooked up to it once I figure out a decent way to get sound out of it.

I had the exact same F4U Corsair and F-4 Phantom II (in USAF colors)! The first is 1:32 and the second 1:48 correct? Also the Osprey in the air looks pretty slick.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Here's my fun zone:

iPad
Dell netbook
Desktop
Computer full of ROMs and X-Arcade stick

I don't have a shot of the wires, but I can assure you I am not living like poo poo.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
Rather a big alarm clock there ¬_¬

New keyboard set up today, Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Powered. Absolutely excellent!

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

mrk posted:

New keyboard set up today, Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Powered. Absolutely excellent!

I really am jealous of that monitor mount. Ergotrons are awesome.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

It has done me well indeed!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

CubanRefugee posted:

I really am jealous of that monitor mount. Ergotrons are awesome.

drat you both. After seeing your Galant and mrk's Ergotron MX, that thing is gorgeous, I went on a shopping spree. I ended up ordering an ikea butcher block counter-top(73x26), two vika annerfor bases, and three ergotron MX arms.

mrk posted:

Does the MX default to 100x100mm or 75x75mm with an included 100mm adapter? I am wondering because I have a 75x75mm equipped display I want to mount on the third arm until apple decides to send me the refurbished cinema display I ordered 11 days ago.

edit: For all cinema display and imac owners who are troubled by the 1inch display height different I want to recommend the Slimkey V2. When you remove the rubber pads from the corners it allows the displays to be inline which is enough to keep me from going insane while FedEx takes its good old time delivering my new desk setup in the east coast weather catastrophe.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

tehk fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 12, 2011

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

tehk posted:

I ended up ordering an ikea butcher block counter-top(73x26), two vika annerfor bases, and three ergotron MX arms.

Jesus Christ, you absolutely have to post a picture of that when it's all put together.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.
Goddamn, I wish there was a way to mount Ergotron arms to a glass-top Galant. Mine's full of monitors, and I have barely any space left for my keyboard and mouse.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

chimz posted:

Goddamn, I wish there was a way to mount Ergotron arms to a glass-top Galant. Mine's full of monitors, and I have barely any space left for my keyboard and mouse.

How thick is your desk? You can mount the MX 2 ways, through the desk or via the clamp on the edge, you could place a rubber strip on the bottom clamp so it does not scratch the glass I reckon :)
The top side that sits on the desk has rubber feet to stop it scratching and slipping anyway.

tehk posted:

Does the MX default to 100x100mm or 75x75mm with an included 100mm adapter? I am wondering because I have a 75x75mm equipped display I want to mount on the third arm until apple decides to send me the refurbished cinema display I ordered 11 days ago.
drat, 3!!!

Comes with both 75 and 100 on the one backplate :)

Here's the arm without monitor: http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/pc_ergotron_unboxed.jpg

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Steakandchips posted:

The A legs are rock solid too. I've been using mine for 3 years now without any wobble. Plus they're cheaper.

Speaking of which, here's the bigass frosted kidneybean.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

mrk posted:

How thick is your desk? You can mount the MX 2 ways, through the desk or via the clamp on the edge, you could place a rubber strip on the bottom clamp so it does not scratch the glass I reckon :)
The top side that sits on the desk has rubber feet to stop it scratching and slipping anyway.

It should work fine on his desk. I have a different monitor mount that has the same type of clamp and it holds up great.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mrk posted:

Awesome wallpaper! Got a link?

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

It is a great wall yep! Here's the link:

http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/temp/canonae1.jpg

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

benisntfunny posted:

It should work fine on his desk. I have a different monitor mount that has the same type of clamp and it holds up great.

On glass? I'm worried about shattering the desk by putting too much leverage on the very edge and getting stabbed in the balls by a three foot long shard of glass. I'd be putting two Cinema Displays on separate arms.

Pro tip for Coffee Jones: get a Logitech Performance MX, it can track straight on the glass Galant's surface with no mousepad magazine.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

chimz posted:

On glass? I'm worried about shattering the desk by putting too much leverage on the very edge and getting stabbed in the balls by a three foot long shard of glass. I'd be putting two Cinema Displays on separate arms.

Pro tip for Coffee Jones: get a Logitech Performance MX, it can track straight on the glass Galant's surface with no mousepad magazine.

You don't have to worry about ball shattering, the glass should be tempered!

With clamp mounts on glass if you are worried about force applied at the fulcrum being to much there is a bunch of stuff you can do depending on the desk construction. The simple thing is to put some thinner wood under the clap above and below to distribute the force over the surface more. If there is a brace under the glass near by you can also rig an extension to mount to that.

It really comes down to the size/weight or the monitor and the length of the arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mrk posted:

Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Powered. Absolutely excellent!

Oh god must have.