Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

This pic was posted on reddit a couple of days ago. Nice try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Centipeed posted:

In other news: Don't those TVs make your eyes die when you sit that close?

I don't think it's even his anyway. I've seen that picture posted elsewhere.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Not to be Mr. KillJoy, but I'm pretty sure those are all airsoft guns/models.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just curious why you have 3(maybe more?) laptops and I'm guessing a desktop.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
It's so nice finally having something that works! The desk is from Loft 102, I got it at a local Dallas office supply place, it was on clearance. Right under the monitor is a pop up for USB and Power supplies. The drawer in the middle holds the laptop and all the USB hubs that link out to everything else. It's so comfortable finally having something like this I truly enjoy working at home now! And actually work!!

http://i.imgur.com/1f0Aq.jpg

Of course the wife had to get her stuff to so here's her World Market craft desk but at least I got what I wanted!

http://i.imgur.com/mmPVQ.jpg

uwimage fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 24, 2011

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
My Pro and third display came in just as I was finishing my desk. In the end I am really liking this setup though I am considering trading the iMac for a cinema display since target display mode requires the iMac to be booted up. Gonna get behind there and improve cable management when my RAM upgrade, displayport cable, and usb 3.0 card from OWC finally arrives.

Anyone have a tv wall mounted above their computer? I am looking for some examples to get an idea before I go shopping tomorrow. Playing games using the Kanex and the center Cinema display is nice and all but switching cables is a pain. I also figure one of those new sound bars would make a good sound system for both the mac and the tv. It kind of sucks that you can not use both the display's speakers at the same time in stereo.

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!

tehk posted:

My Pro and third display came in just as I was finishing my desk. In the end I am really liking this setup though I am considering trading the iMac for a cinema display since target display mode requires the iMac to be booted up. Gonna get behind there and improve cable management when my RAM upgrade, displayport cable, and usb 3.0 card from OWC finally arrives.

Anyone have a tv wall mounted above their computer? I am looking for some examples to get an idea before I go shopping tomorrow. Playing games using the Kanex and the center Cinema display is nice and all but switching cables is a pain. I also figure one of those new sound bars would make a good sound system for both the mac and the tv. It kind of sucks that you can not use both the display's speakers at the same time in stereo.

I am jealous of this desk and require it's structural information. :golfclap:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I loathe it personally, I don't like boxes; what if my tower is too large/too wide? Or if I need to gently caress around with the sides or someshit?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
It is two Ikea Vika Annefor bases, one Vika Curry leg, and a 73 inch long Ikea Numerar butcher-block countertop in beech(I think). I would suggest sealing the top with three coats of polyurethane to make it smooth on the arms.

Fortunately I knew what I was putting into my bases so it was not such a big concern. As for side panel access, if I had to work on the tower I would pull it out anyway. You have plenty of room on the sides to access any cables.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 24, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is the perfect work/play den desk. Consoles + computer + monitors in a nice compact-ish space. My only concern would be leg space between the two towers. If you rotate your chair do you find yourself hitting the desk a lot? Maybe the photo makes it look like less space than there really is.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Martytoof posted:

That is the perfect work/play den desk. Consoles + computer + monitors in a nice compact-ish space. My only concern would be leg space between the two towers. If you rotate your chair do you find yourself hitting the desk a lot? Maybe the photo makes it look like less space than there really is.

My knees do not hit as I rotate. The center is 38.5 inches but I am overlapping 4 inches on the left and right sides so you could increase that a bit. You could also use the 93 inch counter top and add another leg in the back. If I had the space that would have been my route. Currently I am considering building another one of these for an electronic workbench if I can find the space.

edit: Keep in mind those are 27 inch displays on there. The first picture really does make the desk look a lot smaller than it really is.

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 25, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured. I should have used my Alu keyboard for scale, which would have instantly shown me you have a lot of space to work with :)

I think the only thing I dislike about your setup is that your monitor stands are inconsistent from one to the other. It's such a small thing but I OCD about things like that for some reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

I think the only thing I dislike about your setup is that your monitor stands are inconsistent from one to the other. It's such a small thing but I OCD about things like that for some reason.

This. Also, I keep getting hung up on the iMac being on the side. I'd put it in the middle- but I guess it won't really matter if you're getting rid of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's actually just the monitor stand on the very right that bothers me. I can overlook the iMac being on the side, I'm kind of a sucker for controlled asymmetry, but the stand on the right just doesn't look like it fits in with the rest of the setup.

Again though, the most minor nitpick.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It's hard to see because the body of the iMac extends further down than that of the monitors, but the iMac is held by the same monitor stand as the monitor on the right.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Martytoof posted:

The 2 outside monitors have identical stands.

He's done an excellent job.

Is it possible to wall mount the centre one?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

It would be ideal if the iMac was in the centre and the two monitors were either side of it.

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
He probably has the two monitors hooked up to the G5, and it would be horrible dragging things and having a huge "space" in the middle.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

BigPoopMayor posted:

He probably has the two monitors hooked up to the G5, and it would be horrible dragging things and having a huge "space" in the middle.

Surely you can set up the monitors any way you want in virtual space?

I've just noticed the Apple mouse under the iMac. Does that mean he's not using the Mac equivalent of Synergy to control both computers with one mouse?

Also, tehk, you must be proud that your photo has spawned so much discussion over such an insignificant detail.

Edit: Oh wait, I see what you mean about the "space". I suppose it's not possible to have the iMac in the middle and have the mouse move properly between the three screens.

But having a space might be nice. I'm sure it'd be easy to get used to.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

The side monitors are both mounted to Ergotron MX arms. I wanted to mount the center one on a MX but it would not let me stick the monitor really close to the wall. So now I am looking for a stand which only allows vertical adjustment and is compact. I can't wall mount since my rowhome has less studs than a FOSS convention. The 27 inch monitors are heavy and most arms I see won't support them. Any suggestions?

As for the iMac's position I have not actually used the iMac's computer since my Pro arrived. So it is a third display. A third pain in the rear end display. It requires a keyboard attached to switch over to target display mode. I could put the iMac in the middle, but I also plan on using it when Dragon Age 2 comes out for music and colloquy while the tower is booted into windows. I really want to get rid of it though.

edit: The TV installer I spoke to yesterday swears he will be able to mount the tv I purchased above them though, but I think a wall mount might be too close to the wall for my monitor. The current position is perfect, but I hate having a stand.

tehk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 26, 2011

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P5SSDQ/ref=wms_ohs_product

I use one of these. It is simply and about as flush as a normal monitor stand.

Also you should have no problem using 4 heavy duty toggle bolts hold a small, flat VESA mount to the wall for that monitor. Unless it is ungodly heavy for some reason it will be fine.

Spartan 5150
Dec 4, 2008

Skull Leader to Control.

Not Labeled, it's pretty self explanatory.

And yes, I know I'm gay I like Halo.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got setup in Las Vegas! Mover's brought my things today. Just set up the desk.

Work laptop, personal netbook, u2410, maudio's and custom built desktop. Galant desk.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't give me crap for cable management. :pcgaming: I literally just set everything up. It will be addressed lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Oh god I am envious of that giant mousepad. Playing TF2 on a tiny little 9-inch one suuuucks. The worst is that I don't really have any more room for one either with my current setup :I

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Vile posted:

I finally got setup in Las Vegas! Mover's brought my things today. Just set up the desk.

Work laptop, personal netbook, u2410, maudio's and custom built desktop. Galant desk.

I also have a huge mousepad like the one on the right but I hate how my keyboard has to have a post-it pad under it to make it even on the desk.

I think what I really want is a double-wide mousepad, without the depth.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They sell thinner big ones now, like the one on my desk. It is maybe 1mm thick? The old ones used to be like 4-5 mm maybe more

Vile fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 29, 2011

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Victor Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 26, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Telex posted:

I also have a huge mousepad like the one on the right but I hate how my keyboard has to have a post-it pad under it to make it even on the desk.

I think what I really want is a double-wide mousepad, without the depth.

http://www.chesscentral.com/Mousepad_Chess_Board_p/mousepad-board.htm
I use one of these. Super big.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you're after a massive mouse pad on the cheap, it seems like this would be hard to beat. http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Bench-Mat-AD00062/dp/B000U3YWEM (17 inches)

I personally don't see the point of mouse pads and have my mouse sensitivity jacked up high enough that a 360 rotation in an FPS takes about 1" of mouse movement. :smug: I like being able to keep my wrist planted in one place and control the mouse completely with finger movement. Waving your whole arm around to use a computer is, like... effort and poo poo.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr_Person posted:

If you're after a massive mouse pad on the cheap, it seems like this would be hard to beat. http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Bench-Mat-AD00062/dp/B000U3YWEM (17 inches)

I personally don't see the point of mouse pads and have my mouse sensitivity jacked up high enough that a 360 rotation in an FPS takes about 1" of mouse movement. :smug: I like being able to keep my wrist planted in one place and control the mouse completely with finger movement. Waving your whole arm around to use a computer is, like... effort and poo poo.

if u were a pro (like me) and not a nub (teh you) u would do the exact opposite. Low sensitivity and big movements for pixel perfect HeAdSH0000tttzzzzzzz

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
gg

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 22, 2020

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Shogunner posted:

lovely pics off my droid. :3:

I thought my eyes are playing a trick on me being so late in the night. Then I realized that IS giant pocky sitting on your desk.

Crazy set up. I don't know how you managed to fit everything on one... desk/shelf? Moreover, does your legs ever cramp up--being so closed to the wall and all?

Also, nice recording setup.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
cringe

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 22, 2020

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Please tell me that those are enormous sticks of Pocky, and not just a larger quantity of regular Pocky in a big box. If it's the former, I am totally going to end up gaining like forty pounds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 5, 2011

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Mr_Person posted:

Please tell me that those are enormous sticks of Pocky, and not just a larger quantity of regular Pocky in a big box. If it's the former, I am totally going to end up gaining like forty pounds.

Those are literally enormous sticks of Pocky.

ry4
Feb 2, 2003
The 4 of Ry

Shogunner posted:

It use to be filled with cabinets actually. Couple of hammer hits and saw cuts and it's a desk! :v:

We moved back to the house I grew up (I'm 18 as of the first) and so I'm staying in this room till I'm off to college. I had this old Ikea desk from when I was like 14 but that kind of felt a bit too wobbly since there was random boxes piled up on it for the past four years.

Also, naw, my legs are fine, and I'm 6'1.

:smug:

Where did you get a box so big? Also, this is the first post I've made here in years. 'Grats to me.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
wp

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 22, 2020

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I'm in the market for a new computer desk. I've seen some really nice desks in this thread, but not too many people post where they purchased them.

Essentially what I'm looking for is something that can hold 2 towers, a 24 inch monitor, a 17 inch CRT monitor, and a 19 inch LCD monitor. No printer, and preferably space for small set of speakers/subwoofer.

I know the Jerker was a huge favorite back in the day, but I can't seem to find any other modular-style workstation towers that aren't over 300 dollars. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Severed posted:

I know the Jerker was a huge favorite back in the day, but I can't seem to find any other modular-style workstation towers that aren't over 300 dollars. Any ideas?

I would look at Ikea's legs and trestle or storage unit/drawers section to find a set of good bases which will hold your towers. Then either attach them to one of the many table tops they list under desks or the thicker counter tops in the kitchen section. My desk cost me around 200 finished using the butcher block top and is the perfect size for a three monitor workstation. You could also do legs and hanging tower mounts, but I am not too keen on that. 300 dollars should be plenty if you think out of the box.