Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

A bit of an angle:

Looks like somebody swiped your iMac and replaced it with a toy car. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I kind of like those, they're fun to sit in, but not much fun getting on/off. I always feel like I'm about to fall flat on my face whenever I untangle my legs from these chairs.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Honestly, why not go the whole nine yards and drill holes in the desk for the speakers, keyboard, tablet etcetera? I'm envious either way.

Seconding the request for the bigger picture.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Doesn't it get really annoying reaching for things in those two compartments?

I think it's pretty cool and more about putting stuff somewhere where you can see it but not have it in your way and not about having things within reach. That's what semi-permeable glass is for.

The Mighty Mouse is actually pretty neat until the nipple gets clogged, and then it's just an okay mouse with a clogged nipple. You can clean it but it's still annoying.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

poty posted:

Beautiful room. I think you have very good taste

gee thanks! :)

Zurich posted:

That looks really nice - isn’t the bar stool uncomfy to sit at for long periods though?

Not really, it encourages an more upright posture and whenever I get too uncomfortable I go do something else or sit in the other chair, doing other stuff, like reading for term papers. I kind of don't want to get too comfortable in front of a computer, which is the sole reason I got the desk at that height.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well, Ikea has this which is pretty much my bar stool except shorter, and it doubles as an bonafide mini-coffeetable for food/drink, plus it's only £ 7.99! clicky

Plus it stacks!

I'm not so sure about using it as your only means of non-transportation, though, unless you got a couch or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have fun tripping over with 3 legs :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, 150+Ib cameras are a bitch :(

vvv what he said vvv

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Guys I don't think that's tonelok's desk since "that is similar to this corner setup" is what he says ;) (e:f,b)

tonelok posted:

Any Galant owners have any experience with an L-shaped layout with the 4-corner legs instead of the T-legs? Just seems like it would not be as sturdy.

I'm not 100% sure if it's actually a Galant but a friend of mine has a desk shaped like the one in that picture, and it's on T-legs - I think it's two T-legs on every side and he used to have a 17 or 19 inch CRT in the corner, so it certainly held that sturdily. It only started to bend when he climbed on it and was towards the outer edge. You could also prop the outer corner up with one single leg there.

Come to think of it, two T-legs, i.e. two on every side of that L shape would meet up uncomfortably in the inner curve, i.e. you couldn't really sit there. Meh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

chief touching you posted:

Nice! What about the accessories ie: cable management, etc? Does everything just connect to the metal frame underneath?

Here's their cable management series http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/14209/

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

CodeJanitor posted:

For those of you with nice, controlled, organized cables, can you post some pictures? Looking for some examples of managing my cables on the back of my desk instead of the child strangling mess I currently have sitting on my floor. When I jump in there to clean it all up, there is probably a dead cat in there somewhere...

I'm using a rain gutter, it's rather easy to implement and keeps the cables accessible.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

strwrsxprt posted:

The LackRack is a pretty neat way to use rack-mounted equipment in your house. I wish I had a use for it.

I'm a bit suspicious of the stability of these - back in our dorm we had them in every common room and they fell apart quickly, the legs twisting where they joined into the top part. They're dirt cheap for a reason.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

mcsuede posted:

The rackmounted equipment lends the structure additional support. They become quite solid

Yeah, it's kind of funny that the electronics which are supposed to be held by the structure actually give the structure the support it needs to be held together in the first place. I'm curious if they'll still fall apart if you put your legs up on them?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The Third Man posted:

those goddamn iphones just keep getting bigger

My initial reaction was similar to "hey, the monitor on the right is tiny... oh."

Changed my setup a bit because the craftspeople needed access to the heater, and in the process of which my desk suddenly ended up in a way that made it possible to sit on the bed and work on the desk's short end at the same time:

Then again, appearances can be deceiving...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Pretty sure you can get some pretty big faux leather desk pads from Ikea that would fit the bill, and keep the Swedish train rolling.

Some of those gently caress with the wireless, though. I'm not sure if it affects all Ikea desk pads, but there was at least one that had a warning regarding wireless mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think the 47 1/4 refers to the total depth of the left part, i.e. not the part where the extension attaches, which should be 31 1/2. Wouldn't make sense otherwise. Google has this as an example. I think you're in the clear.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ikea-galant-modular-desk-right-corner-t-leg-black-brown-981973/