Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Leck posted:

Sorry to grab this all the way back from the first page, but I really like this setup. Where did you find that desk?

It's the Ikea Jerker, which has been discontinued for a couple years now.

They pop up on the used market from time to time, so keep your eyes peeled. They're very popular, though, and getting someone to part with one is like getting them to give up a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

strwrsxprt posted:

There's a reason that desk has had entire threads devoted to it here in SH/SC, as any time it shows up in a photo people ask what it is and where they can get it. Why Ikea discontinued it is a complete mystery to me.

I love mine and it will follow me wherever I go.

I do wonder if Ikea has some secret warehouse of Jerker parts lurking somewhere... They carry a 10-year warranty, after all, and I'd hate to think they'd try to pawn a Frederik off on me if something broke.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chief touching you posted:

Nice! What about the accessories ie: cable management, etc? Does everything just connect to the metal frame underneath?

Going back to this one, pretty much everything in the office section comes with self-tapping screws.

If you hate yourself and have time to kill, all you need is a screwdriver. A drill (or a power screw driver) is a much, much better way to go about it if you can get one.

chief touching you posted:

Can I replace parts of the jerker even though they are discontinued? I would like to buy a use one, and eventually replace the beech wood with something else.

If you can find someone who has them, or the one IKEA on some far-flung corner of the planet Earth that might still have some inventory.

What's in people's homes and offices is what's available.

Nothing stopping you from fabbing up your own replacement pieces, though. The frames can be attached to anything that'll hold a screw, and everything's just veneered particle board.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Solution: Connect the murderphone to the Polycom's headset jack. The best of both worlds!

(I doubt this would actually provide enough voltage, but damned if it doesn't sound swell. Plan B: Duct tape.)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

glompix posted:

Jesus what college did you go to that had Aerons? :pwn:

Businesses and universities love Herman Miller poo poo; it's extremely cost effective because it lasts forever and carries a good decade+ of warranty. Buying cheap crap will bleed you dry in a high-usage environment.

The last couple buildings my school added are furnished in nothing but Herman Miller, and they'd already been adding Aerons everywhere even before that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Any desk buying tips? Should I just be browsing r/battlestations and looking for ones I like? I would like a longer one.

If you're in the US and have an IKEA nearby, they've been clearancing out their last-gen sit/stand frames (both electric and manual) for ridiculously low prices. BYO desktop.

Don't know if that would be any longer than your current desk (I think the frames are designed for a 64" top? You could probably overhang that a bit if needed), but it's a hell of a deal if your local store has frames left and you want a motorized sit/stand setup.

They're ugly workplace silver, but they're also like a hundred bucks. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Do these prices show up online? There is one nearby so maybe I just have to go look around.

Unfortunately not. Clearance is marked out and sent to as-is to die.