Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok wow, after weeks if not months of slowly putting this together I think it's finally done.

Main Desk

There's a lot going on here. This is a pretty seamless integration of two computers: one Macbook Pro touchbar, and one gaming PC. You can switch everything in the setup (sound setup, keyboard, mouse, monitor) to either computer in about 10 seconds.

The Macbook is run entirely off of one single Thunderbolt 3 connection, which was kind of interesting to figure out how to pull off, so when I want to take it with me I just disconnect the single cable and head out. Then when I plug it back in, it connects to the DAC, the speakers, the monitor, the KB/mouse AND gets fully powered through the cable.

Equipment:

LG "5K" ultrawide monitor (which can only be run through Thunderbolt 3 or Displayport 1.4 due to the resolution, luckily the RTX 2080 has DP 1.4 so both computers can connect to it).
MBP touchbar as second monitor
MX Master 3 mouse
Corsair K70 keyboard
Schiit Modi 3 DAC and Fosi amp
JBL Studio 530 speakers
Herman Miller Embody chair

Then incidentals like an apple watch charger, wireless charger for phone, etc.

The PC is an RTX 2080 gaming system. It connects to a 65 inch LG C9 in another part of the bedroom as well as the main monitor and can interchangeably connect to either set of speakers. LG just added GSync to their OLEDs so it's basically a dedicated PC/console OLED VRR / media setup:

Gaming/Media setup (which is connected to the gaming PC via an HDMI cable run around the perimeter of the room)

Equipment:

LG 65 inch C9 OLED
JBL Studio 580 speakers
Denon receiver
Switch
PS4 Pro
4K Blu rays
Nvidia Shield with 13TB 4K blu ray Plex server as well as TV shows. This runs its own Plex server through the entire house, independent of the computers, so they can be off and still serving media to other parts of the home.
Norton Shield router (gigabit internet)
Lenovo smart clock, mostly for Google Assistant (everything in the room is smart- Philips Hue lighting, and the Shield is connected to Google so I can play Spotify on the main speakers via voice command, etc.)

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh that's interesting, I think it fits really well. It's just my master bedroom. The desk is next to the bed, the bed is in the corner, and across from the bed on the other side is the TV.

I would be legitimately curious why you don't think it works. I could definitely be missing something. Maybe this will help:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Why the hell is any of that stuff in your master bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleeping and loving and storing clothing and maybe reading. Unless there's some functional reason to have all of those electronics in there (ie, roommates, you still live with your parents, etc) get that poo poo into the living room.

People wonder why they have sleep disorders.

Also get a proper window covering you schlub.

edit: furthermore get some cable management happening.

I sleep well, so it's never been a concern for me. I can definitely see why some people would prefer it like that, though. I think it's pretty common to have a TV in the bedroom, but I'm no expert. I work from home a lot, and our floor plan is a little, um, "interesting"- there just isn't a great spot to have a desk. The house has really good views, so a lot of space in the layout is dedicated to vista views and decks. It's kind of hard to describe. In any case, there is (imo of course) no better place in our floor plan for a desk, especially one this large.

The window does have a cover, but it's a small, stupid window that looks directly into our next door neighbors house. We live in a touristed and densely packed area. The houses are super close together due to the astronomical property values... therefore very little privacy overall. So sometimes it's easier to permanently block a window you don't like. I hung a fleece blanket to cover it. I like earth tones.

The cable management isn't perfect, point taken. It's not too bad in practice though. The mess of cords is behind the desk in the corner; unless you're at a pretty specific angle you wouldn't see it. Totally get what you're saying though, do you have any suggestions on managing such a giant mess of cords? I have some ties, but they aren't really enough.

nem posted:

My mom bestowed these fine words with me, "bedrooms are for sleeping and screwing" when I first moved out. To this day I've never kept a TV in the bedroom.

You have a philosophy, and you stick to it. Nothin' wrong with that!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I do not believe you.

Like are you loving the tv? That I believe.

Oh, what don't you believe? I hope you're doing alright, you seem a little upset. Let me know what you want clarified and I'll do my best to help. I haven't hosed the TV (yet, never say never) but I will readily admit that it is incredibly sexy. OLED GSync is really, really incredible. Truly must be seen to be believed.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think having a second tv in the bedroom is acceptable - there are valid reasons to want to watch tv in bed, including ‘when you’re sick’. Also if it isn’t a one person house there will come a time where not everyone wants to watch the same thing.

Having your home office in the bedroom isn’t ideal but if you live in a tiny apartment and there isn’t room for a dedicated home office room or study nook or something I’d rather have that stuff tucked away in the bedroom than encroaching on the living room - the living room is a more formal space where you entertain guests.

Exactly. I'm a super dedicated home cook, we love entertaining, cooking, and lounging in our living room/kitchen (which is combined into one oddly shaped room). Every spare inch is spoken for, it's a pretty modestly sized area. This was basically the best compromise we could figure out for the space.

Taima fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 4, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Daric posted:

Get a headboard you heathen

Hey I'm open to that, I guess. What do you recommend?

hypnophant posted:

One weird trick to make your bedroom look like a grown-up lives there

Oh. I guess I'm not a grown up then! Sad emojis. Please let my eyes know that I'm a child, because, they aren't functioning quite as well as they did.

Hed posted:

Taima, your setup looks good. Very similar to mine down to the Embody :)

What are you using to switch keyboard/mouse/speakers? Does your monitor switch that ?

Aww thanks man! Embody crew forever. Such a good chair.

Yeah, so the monitor itself has a USB hub. To that hub I attach the DAC and the keyboard (which is good, because there are only 2 USB ports).

So the process of switching computers goes like this:

1) Switch the input on the monitor
2) Switch the USB hub destination (you have to switch between USB C aka thunderbolt, and regular USB downstream, aka the PC)
3) The wireless mouse, a Logitech MX Master 3, has a button on the bottom that you have to click to switch between bluetooth sources.

That's about all, it's a little lame but it only takes about 10 seconds. The issue is, with a 5K monitor, you need an OS with good scaling. MacOS scaling is simply far better than Windows, so I use the Mac for my day to day productivity. It looks so much better. For anyone considering a 5K monitor, I strongly recommend they look at their scaling capabilities, as you do NOT want to run a 5K monitor at native. It's insanely small.

Then for gaming I switch to the Windows PC, or if I need storage space (for example I am regularly downloading 4K blu rays which can be over 100GB in size). The Mac only has 256GB of space, so I need the PC to accomplish that.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I totally appreciate the headboard thing guys. As a little history, I rented this house, with 2 other housemates, for several years. In the last couple of years, I took over the house. At the time, when I got the bed (which was a 4 figure mattress, and good god do I NOT regret it, it's so comfortable) just the cost of the mattress itself was such that I couldn't afford to add something visual like a headboard to the expense.

Now things are different. I make double what I did when I bought the bed, so doing these updates is not a money concern, but sometimes I simply forget about the little things. I also have a wonderful partner who has never seemed to care, and likes having SEXUAL INTERCOURSE in the bed, which in turn reduces my desire to change it. Conceptually though, I am pretty into the idea of a headboard setup. No expense has been spared on any of the electronics, so it seems unfair to not extend that to the rest of the room.

rickiep00h posted:

In that case: Move the bed so the head is centered under the small window. Put the desk where the head of the bed currently is. Flip-flop the TV and the electronics rack.

Get a real loving window covering, for seriously. You can buy smaller blackout panels so you don't have a loving blanket hanging on your wall like a stoner freshman. Get a headboard that compliments said window covering. Also that TV is way, way too big for that space and in a position that is bad for viewing, even/especially from a bed. Get a proper nightstand so you don't have a wire rack screwed to the wall and put said nightstand on the non-desk side of the bed. Find a way to isolate the floorstanding speakers from the floor (rubbermaid had really good computer monitor stands for such a purpose, but any thing that decouples them from the floor will benefit your bass response SIGNIFICANTLY.)

Seriously, you're so close to being out of Goon Aesthetics that it's some kind of uncanny valley. I'm even letting you keep your rope/christmas lights.

Fuckin' right.

There's no way the desk would fit where the head of the bed currently is. Behind that blackout curtain is a full sliding door to one of the decks. It's the width of that entire curtain, more or less. The desk would have to be multiple feet smaller to accommodate the layout you're suggesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the size of the TV, it's perfect and I love it dearly. It's also the correct distance to view a 65 inch TV, for the record, but I have no absolutely no interest in convincing you of that. All I can say is that it's non-negotiable.

I also disagree that it's in a bad position for viewing from the bed, either we lay in bed and watch it normally, or I have pillows that are made to position at the edge of the bed on the far wall, so we can sit up and watch TV or play games. It's so perfect for viewing the TV that i'm legitimately confused why you think it's not, could you elaborate? Anyways this is an example of the pillows, though not the exact one I have:

Anyways to be clear, in our living room we have a traditional couch-based entertainment area with a 75 inch TV. We watch the vast majority of our television in there. But sometimes it's incredible to get super comfy on the bed and watch a movie on the OLED or play a game.

I will certainly think about the window cover for the small window. I thought that entire wall was kind of boring. I have a bunch of art put up around the room (I only show about half of the room in the images) but maybe I should get a cover and figure out another piece of art for that wall.

If you'll notice I actually DO have insulation pads on the Studio 530s on my desk. What do you suggest for pads, in terms of the larger speakers? Just the rubbermaid ones? I could use a range of suggestions. Price is not really a concern. The problem is that they're pretty huge speakers. The options I see on Amazon seem to be for smaller speakers, so I could really use help choosing something correct.

You know what, maybe I will try to convince you that the 65 inch TV makes sense, since you are technical enough to suggest acoustic isolation pads. Here is a chart from Rtings that explains their ideal viewing distances:

As you can see, my setup is basically 100% ideal for their guidelines. And I agree with those guidelines from experience. It's a great distance, just my opinion though. My parents watch a 40 inch TV they bought in like 2006 from across a giant room. So obviously taste varies on this topic.

Moey posted:

I have had one of these things for almost 3 years, has been working fine and doesn't look terrible in my opinion.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4DCVLW/

Oh interesting, that's super reasonable. Thanks for the recommendation.

Daric posted:

I know this is the post your actual desktop thread but we need one to help these sad goons get out of their child-like aesthetics and into something more adult.

I get that you're being hyperbolic, and I'm biased, but I think you would like our house. We entertain regularly and live in a beautiful area with fantastic views. My bedroom is where I stash all of the technical stuff that I, admittedly, love :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ruflux posted:

This is the most hilarious page in the thread, holy loving lord. I've personally never liked having a TV in the bedroom and all but typically bitter goons have apparently decided having one means you're a permavirgin fat slob manchild. I absolutely love the insane overreaction to the most uninterestingly "awful" setup ever. Like, the TV is too big and apparently he doesn't own a headboard? Stop the loving presses, crimes against interior decoration are being committed right here in this thread!

The thing that's been the weirdest to me is just the bitterness and negativity about a pretty regular situation. I could be wrong, but most people who see my bedroom are like, hey that's cool. I mean, it's a bedroom. We have a normally appointed house in general, but this is my personal space, and I like it a lot. It's a bedroom, but it's also a home office and a media room, so it might not line up with a Sunset Magazine concept of a bedroom. That's ok though, in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to investing in some of the better options being put out- rickie might be a little rude but they are right about a few things. I really could use a proper bed frame/headboard. Hanging a blanket up probably isn't that cool. I really don't have isolation pads under the large speakers. I'm not perfect, and happy to accept criticism.

There's some truth being said here, among the bitterness, and I'm thankful for people who are trying to help, even if they have a bit of a sharp edge to them.

Coredump posted:

I'm just here to add that ketchup goes on dogs.

Haha, truth buddy. Truth :) I may not like ketchup on hotdogs, but I will defend to the death your right to do so. This is AMERICA.

TenementFunster posted:

also, please spend money on furniture that isn't a $2000 desk chair

I'm open to suggestions! The desk chair is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Take care of your back, friends. It will take care of you in return.

stuxracer posted:

I'm the strip of lights in the corner of the room. Or paintings without frames.

Oh, they all have frames if they're supposed to! One is a wrap around canvas, which is specifically not supposed to be framed, and one is a mounted 3D frame that again, is not supposed to be framed. I have 5 paintings/pictures in the room, 3 have frames, 2 aren't supposed to.

I'm sad that you don't like the Hue light strip, but totally get the sentiment. Truth be told I've struggled with the proper lighting setup in here for years, so your point is well taken.

Thank you for your continued responses.

Re: the TV comments, my usual choice for gaming (which is literally like 90% of what this TV is used for) is to put the Embody up against the bed, and lean back in the chair, over the bed. I just measured- in this position, my head is roughly 5.6 feet from the TV, which is perfect. It's a really great position for gaming, in fact I've never seen a better gaming setup, if I'm being honest. Almost none of my friends are gamers, but the ones who have tested the setup, have been amazed. And sitting in the Embody while gaming on the TV, is like sitting in a cloud.

We actually don't watch a ton of TV in here- our living room has a couch and a 75 inch TV. That's where we spend most of our TV/movie time. But when we do want to watch a movie, we do it laying down and just cuddling big spoon/ little spoon style. You're right, it's not perfectly centered, but you're wrong that it's hard on the neck. You are greatly overestimating the height of the TV. And sometimes it's nice to lay down and cuddle while watching a movie. We like it a lot, but realistically it's not often that it happens. It's much easier to go sit in the living room.

The proportion stuff is pretty interesting. Just so you know, there's another painting to the right of the "brown hole". So it's actually symmetrical, and I wouldn't call it bare. I think part of the issue here is I literally just haven't posted about half of the room, including the end part of the desk, which is quite long. Do you have any good design resources I could read or look into?

I'm definitely open to something else replacing the blanket, maybe you could link to some specific products?

Re: the speakers, that's kind of true. Overpowered? Maybe, but they sound great. In actuality the large speakers were never supposed to be there (the Studio 530s were originally bought for the TV, which I agree are more appropriate) and the big speakers were actually out in the living room, which made more sense. Some layout changes actually "forced" the big speakers into my room.

In general though, I think the speakers are good. My only real issue is that the bass is too heavy, but I turned it down in the receiver EQ and it's pretty ok now. I hope that when I get stands like you suggest, that will muffle the bass a little or at least make it a bit cleaner.

carry on then posted:

You’re a man child and I genuinely don’t believe that you’re even 1/10th attractive enough to be in a relationship because every square inch of that room screams “obese acne riddled loser”

Please Work Out.

Life is fragile and can change on a dime. My position is due to dumb luck and circumstance, like most people's. I have no illusions that I deserve the life I lead. In all reality, I almost certainly don't :(

That could change tomorrow, but for now I try to enjoy the gifts provided to me for as long as they last. Your misread of the situation means that maybe you don't have it all figured out, you know? Just saying.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh poo poo, dude. You can add a keyboard tray to a desk? That is absolutely incredible. That is such a good suggestion!

e: I kind of want a standing desk but truth be told I literally JUST bought my current one, hah :/

By the way I changed the K70 keyboard with a Filco majestouch 2 in the last day. Are you a keyboard guy? I want to get into one of the crazy custom ones but the keyboard thread makes me light-headed.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

nem posted:

Topre or bust. It's one with the cup feel. Cherry Blues were my first mechanical switch and fatigued my fingers after prolonged coding sprints :gay:. I've had the same Topre (Realforce 87u, 45g) for close to 10 years and apart from having to clean it periodically, zero problems - still a bliss to type on.

Generally you need to allocate your funds where your time is. If you sleep 8 hours a day, like most humans do, get a good bed that supports your body. If you're writing code or poo poo posting 12 hours a day, maximize your ergonomics: foot rest, sit-to-stand desk, keyboard try, wrist rest, monitor arms, bias lighting - specifically smart lighting like LIFX or Hue that adjusts temperature with sun path, f.lux in the same vein for monitor temp, etc. You've only got one body, better take care of it. Wear and tear is cumulative whether it's on a car or your body; pay it forward now so your body doesn't rebel later.

Now, after you've maximized productivity where you spend the bulk of your life, figure out new car payments, entertainment, and the like.

Edit: Workrave too as a periodic reminder to move. Keep those RSI demons at bay.

I feel like we're best friends in spirit. I literally constantly say that exact phrase, I mean it's "spend your money where you spend your time" in my case but that's basically my mantra too. I'll definitely look into topre switches. Is there any way to know if it's a "cup feel" keyboard?

Do you live in the bay? You could pretty much be any one of my coworkers.

rickiep00h posted:

Anyway, my overall point is one of cohesion. If you MUST have Item X in there, figure out a way to get it in there so it looks like it belongs there, rather than "This is where it fits." If you've taken care with the rest of your house, there's no reason your bedroom--a room that's intended to be comfortable, pleasant, and relaxing--should be the odd duck. Especially considering how much time you put into researching specs.

I find it comfortable, pleasant and relaxing. My partner gets her way in the rest of the house though. It works for us. We have a sushi party on Saturday that I just finished ordering for- pulling out the big guns, bluefin otoro and senaka for days!

Even got some real-rear end wasabi root:

In any case I think this has run its course, and I really do appreciate the tips. It's been super enlightening just to hear all of the opinions.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 6, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

hypnophant posted:

You can't get the lighting setup right in there because the proper lighting setup for a bedroom with a desk in it is some combination of floor lamps (you don't have any floor space) lamps on the nightstands (you don't have nightstands) or attached to the headboard (you don't have a headboard) plus a desk lamp (you have no space on your desk, even though it's huge.) Or just to open the giant-rear end windows during the day, which you don't do because you're in there playing video games in the dark. Lighting design is tough to get right in any circumstance, but because you've decided to prioritize having two different ways to play video games in your bedroom/home office, you've boxed yourself out of any way to make it an effective bedroom/home office.

Sir! You are misunderstanding! Sir! Friend! Buddy!

There is only ONE(1) way to play video games, the OLED. The desk is specifically for home office use, no game playing goes on there, nor could it, as the monitor is 5K (far too demanding for gaming) and it's specifically a productivity monitor for work.

Just out of curiosity, how are you inferring that I'm not opening the room to natural light because I "play video games all day"? It feels like you're bitterly inferring untrue things in an attempt to be rude, which doesn't speak well to your general happiness. I hope you're ok.

The natural light is great from the large sliding doors (one of the cool things about this bedroom) but the sun goes down, and then there isn't any more natural light. If you want more details on this process, google is a good resource.

nem posted:

I've always viewed code as apolitical and solely merit-based. Having basically a violable framework to remind everyone to put forth their best effort is antithetical to that idea and counterintuitively makes code political.

I wonder if the proliferation and ubiquity of modern web frameworks, with their own design agendas and priorities, will eventually have some kind of political consequence. Would a coder use a framework for ideological reasons? Maybe not now, but if politics continues becoming increasingly polarized, I could see it happening.

"React? Psh. Made by a bunch of SJWs"

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Upgraded the home office a bit:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah just an Ikea Karlsby. The legs are super stable, I don't notice it moving or anything. Adding the fifth leg in the back-center is highly recommended though, I'm not sure how stable it would be with just the 4 corners.

And hah, good point about the laptop, but the center of gravity is actually more over the front of the laptop due to the way the weight is distributed. I agree it looks wonky though - I moved it forward :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Gimrigz posted:

Neat! Yeah it's a pretty awesome surface, I've been loving it. Mind if I ask what support you're using for your headphones? I could use something like what you've got going on.

Thanks the laptop update, btw.

You bet!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F21RGT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is by far the best one I've used. The adhesive they use is ridiculously strong. I assume if you stuck it to a person, they would have to walk around with it forever, until they died.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

RichterIX posted:

This isn't adhesive like the OP's but if you are near a Container Store they carry cheap headphone hooks that clamp onto a desktop. Once you get them cranked on tight enough they're really stable, and I don't think I paid much for it or I wouldn't have impulse bought it.

Edit: https://www.containerstore.com/s/yamazaki-beautes-desk-headphone-hanger/d?productId=11004379&q=headphone

Wow I think that product shot is on the exact same desk I just posted.

Anyways more power to people who like the hanging ones. I am kind of OCD about it and find the adhesive ones to be much, much more stealth and less obtrusive. That being said I can't argue with the price.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dude you don’t have to be dick tracy to know that’s watermelon

Weebymelon

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PC mode enables 4:4:4 subsampling it has absolutely nothing to do with your laptop.

E: poo poo this was already answered mb

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

2022 Work Setup

- Late 2021 macbook Pro 16 inch charged/powered by and connected to main monitor via thunderbolt (can't get enough of the M1 chip or the display which is fantastic)
- Dell U4021QW as main monitor, which is an incredible 5K2K curved ultrawide that I love dearly.
- 12.9 Inch M1 iPad Pro with magic keyboard serving as third monitor via Universal Control (or sidecar but I rarely ever need that). The magic keyboard also lets me grab the ipad whenever I'm moving around the house, to read in bed, when I want to do a cooking recipe etc.

Sorry about the RGB keyboard that is probably triggering some people, but I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with cherry browns and sometimes use that too. Just depends on the mood.

Audio setup is a 2 channel class AB amplifier with a Schiit Modi 3 and JBL Studio 530 speakers.

Across the room, Gaming Setup

RTX 3080 / Ryzen Windows 11
LG C9 OLED connected via HDMI 2.1 for 4K/120 and HDMI 2.1 VRR
A second pair of Studio 530s connected to an HDMI 2.1 receiver
A random PS5

But wait how do you play KB/mouse games

I have a DP 1.4 cable run around the side of the room to play mouse/KB games on my U4021QW if I need to, which isn't often. Mostly stick to PS5 and games that used the Xbox controller.

For my chair, I use a Herman Miller Embody. Last weekend I had to replace the gas cylinder, which was actually pretty difficult, but I've used the drat thing for 10+ years so fair enough. Treat your back right folks. The amortized cost of this chair is like $100 a year and keeps dropping, it's not that expensive.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks. Totally fair on the loud.

This is so lame but the reason I turn the gaming setup those colors is because that's my master bedroom. I work from home, and the master bedroom is where all the work AND gaming is done, AND my home gym along with like... sleeping of course too.

The only time I leave my room, generally speaking, is going biking (mountain or road biking for at least one hour, 7 days a week) and evenings I'm cooking dinner and hanging out with the wife until we go to sleep. I don't eat during the day; just one meal a day, at dinner. I rarely run errands or shop for groceries; kind of a long story but I don't have to do those things, they are done for me.

As a result my life is depressingly static during weekdays. So, to give the illusion of free will and difference in my daily schedule, I change the lights. The lighting around the office PC that you see there is the "workday" lighting when im coding or taking a zoom call or whatever.

Then when the workday is done I turn on the party lights so I can have some small change of pace, so it doesn't all blur together. Kinda sad I guess, but there it is.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 6, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I eat one meal a day to STAY healthy man, one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Anyways this isn't a thread about my weird life, apologies and thanks for the concern yall it is appreciated :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

shrike82 posted:

hopefully the single meal is good though

We tend to stick to east asian food because western food is bad at being healthy and tasty at the same, generally speaking. Lots of sushi, korean, chinese

It’s just intermittent fasting, 20 hour fast / 4 hour eat window, it’s not as strange as people imagine :shrug: it’s not even hard once your body is used to it. I don’t get hungry till about 4pm.

e:

TenementFunster posted:

lmfao the crypto avatar

It's a gang tag friend, not an av. Though, I did used to deal in bitcoins back when they were $10 each. At the time it was the only way to buy drugs on the original Silk Road, using the Tor browser.

Buying bitcoins was actually a hilarious process at the time because you had to wire money to shady accounts. I had to do this, in person, at my bank, and I was like idk early 20s at the time. One of the finance guys took me aside and was like "this 99% looks like a scam, this is shady af". But they let me do it, and I got (excellent and super potent) drugs in exchange. I did get a nastygram once from the feds though. Luckily I wasn't married yet because the weird letters from Europe were hard to explain.

If I had just held onto those bitcoins instead of buying drugs I would be extremely rich because it would be like 10 bitcoins for $100 worth of drugs, which at one point was enough bitcoins to buy a nice house (or still is maybe I don't gently caress with bitcoins these days).

Unlike many goons I have nothing against people who do trade in bitcoin though. Sure they're a front for all kinds of unsavory things, but so is the dollar, so whatever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 8, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This is my all purpose gaming/home office/spare room home theater situation. Forgive the atmos wires... it's a work in progress.

It's 7.1.2 but I'm not finalized on if I want to have Atmos or just take down the height speakers altogether (which is why I haven't hidden the wires yet). I feel like if I do want to do Atmos, I really need 2x more of the height speakers so I can do a proper layout... kinda lazy about it though

The best thing I ever did for this setup was get a Dirac Live receiver, you would be amazed at the sound you can get with a good room EQ.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I think i'm with you. I don't really feel like it helped :( but I wasn't sure how much it mattered that I only had two. Thanks for the perspective.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

At this point I would treat ATMOS as more of a curiosity than anything. As far as hard numbers are concerned, adoption has flopped super hard and that's being generous. The vast majority of setups aren't even "true" atmos, it's poo poo like ceiling bounce speakers and soundbars with a bunch of extra tiny drivers shoved into them that don't accomplish anything meaningful. Maybe we'll see more/better adoption from mastering houses now that Apple is trying to make spatial audio though headphones a thing and we continue to move toward object-oriented mixing ubiquitization, but I don't think home theater ATMOS is ever gonna truly matter. Spending the extra ATMOS money collecting a dead physical media format would give you a way better ROI.

It's a drat shame really because the premise, imo, is really cool. I wonder if the implicit issue here is that adoption is so low? So there is no real impetus to create good Atmos mixes, which then decreases adoption further in a feedback loop.

Totally agreed that the fake Atmos bullshit has not helped at all. Even a 5.1 system is so intense for an average movie enjoyer, then saying "well you need 4 more height speakers, oh and you need a way better receiver, etc etc" just isn't too compelling, even if a bullet whizzing over your head is pretty cool in practice, the value prop is not there at all.

I have enjoyed a lot of Atmos apple music tracks on my home theater and they are sometimes great and sometimes utter poo poo. The track has to be suited for it, and then the mixing has to be good... it's very hit or miss. But I will say, when it hits, it HITS. Can really be a wonderful experience with a full-fat surround system and the R3s as the backbone.

The Lord Bude posted:

Surround sound in general is kind of a wank; especially the way most people do it; which is to buy a cheap surround sound system where you end up with a bunch of speakers but they’re all poo poo. It’s one thing if you’re dropping the $$$ on a proper home theatre setup; when you’re buying speakers for your computer just buy a good quality pair of powered monitors and call it a day; you’ll get a nicer experience (especially since they’ll probably be designed for near field listening.

Right, the home theater in a box stuff is almost universally trash, but at the same time you can get 4x JBL 530s (which I consider to be pretty competent) for $120-140 per speaker. That would make an ok surround setup.

Personally as you can see, I opted for the KEF R3 as my main fronts. And oh MAN they are absolutely loving glorious, just wonderful speakers (even if they are fussy and hard to dial). But all of my side and rear speakers are JBL 530s. And my center is a Martin Logan ribbon-tweeter deal that I got cheap.

So the priority in my system goes:
Fronts >>> Center >> Satellites

And I'm very pleased with those priorities. Though like I said, I do think using a full 530 setup would probably be decent and would be so cheap.

Honestly the use case for surround sound that excites me the most, by far, is gaming, so that's where my setup sees the most use by far.

But yeah- I can agree that powered monitors are perfect for most people. They just wouldn't work for me; I need a good subwoofer. And I really believe in Dirac Live, it's like magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I think you're pretty bang-on, yeah. Floor standers can pump the bass. Wife wouldn't let me put a sub upstairs so we got JBL 580s and they slump for sure, way more than I figured.

I've heard really good things about Edifier so I assume they're doing good work as well.