Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
As long as you use a program that doesn't show its passthroughing the connection to a computer, and don't use an extraordinary amount of bandwidth (which is actually quite a bit, if you consider a lot of phones are loading youtube et al, as long as you aren't torrenting linux isos you're pretty much good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bucket Joneses posted:

Honestly everyone asks me but I don't know where it was purchased. We inherited this apartment from a friend and she left it here.

This is true, I've asked him already

quote:

quote:

Triikan wrote on Nov 14, 2008 06:03:
Where did you get this rack? http://img.waffleimages.com/04b7d6b...sk.jpg#via=salr

Don't know it came with the apartment.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

chimz posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A glass Ikea Galant desk really makes Apple equipment look good. I like having it up on the Griffin Elevator to make it even with my 2001fp. This desk is so huge, it's a great change from the top of a half-height chest of drawers I had earlier.

I have a Drobo down below my desk which spontaneously reboots sometimes, but Drobo support has chalked it up to resetting if the hard drives spin up too slowly, and they've promised to exchange it if I ever get annoyed enough to call them up again. Make sure to update the firmware and use USB, not Firewire.

Sorry for the low quality picture, I only have an iPhone to take pictures with.

What's the UFO thing on the right hand side of your desk?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Beef Rocmore posted:

best picture I have right now

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Wow, I knew SOMEBODY had to be buying those monstrosities.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

devmd01 posted:

Just got a new pair of monitors today, I love my employee discount!

Always keep a gun next to your mouse? What if you grab the wrong one? You'd look silly kinda silly clicking your mouse at an armed intruder.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
So, I've been working and working on getting all my equipment organized and neat, but then I decided to stop being a goon stuck in a separate part of the house surrounded by computer stuff. Found this desk at a garage sale for $20. I've always wanted one of these desks, for some reason, since I was younger. Moved my main rig to the shared room downstairs, moved everything else to the basement (server, routers, switches, modem, etc. Pictures of that when it is done, which should be soon).
Haven't hooked up speakers yet, might not at all, I only use this computer to game, and I use headphones for that.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Monitor Rack needs adjusted. May move the LCD to the top, and put my trusty, neglected CRT inside the desk.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

PiCroft posted:

Ooooo. Why did you stick the CRT under that sheet of glass? That looks like an interesting set-up.

That's an LCD, which is not staying under there. Has a CRT in there now, though. These desks became slightly popular during the early to mid nineties in order to get CRTs out of the way. Versions are used in most newscasts. Basically, its under there because that's where its designed to be.

Telex posted:

THat looks.... painful.

Not a bit, metal rack is perfectly out of the way.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Why didn't you at least clean it off when you brought it home?

Yeah, didn't look that bad without the flash; its clean now.

Went ahead and put a CRT in the rack, put the Samsung LCD on top.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Its at a pretty decent angle. Almost like you're reading a book. I'd almost say its better than a normal setup. That being said it does darken the display a bit so Ill be using it as a secondary display.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Juriko posted:

I know this is an over reaction, but Jesus Christ yes they have. Even though it breaks constantly even the lovely rear end mighty mouse has a side button and a goddamn trackball for scrolling. Apple has sold multi button mice for quite a while.

Right, but the mighty mouse was the very first multibutton apple mouse. It was released five years ago, which isn't that long, considering mice began to be used in computers ~30 years prior.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Steakandchips posted:

We need specifics in order to do anything apart from ridicule you. Your question is akin to asking "I need a new car. Any suggestions?".

Red Computer Desk:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Telex posted:

I also have a huge mousepad like the one on the right but I hate how my keyboard has to have a post-it pad under it to make it even on the desk.

I think what I really want is a double-wide mousepad, without the depth.

http://www.chesscentral.com/Mousepad_Chess_Board_p/mousepad-board.htm
I use one of these. Super big.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What kind of bulb do those use? They look like the track lighting bulbs a lot of restaurants use that get hot as hell.

Love the design, though.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

tehk posted:

Now I need to look through the thread for a good headphone stand.

Most people on here just get on amazon and pick out a banana holder they like.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the deal with Tivoli? I also bought the Model Two a few years ago when it retailed for $160. The subwoofer was $80. Now the prices have more than doubled. AFAIK nothing has changed except the price. I didn't know companies could just change the MSRP like that and survive.

I'd say its partly due to speakers being very dependent on metal prices, not becoming obsolete, and tivoli being a bit of a niche company. Niche products are pretty commonly price variable.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

is there such a thing that'll actually reduce the amount of dust? I've heard most of the air filters are a joke unfortunately.

My basement was caked in dust. I'd take a push broom to try to sweep, and after a few minutes I'd have to stop because I couldn't breath. I ended up zip tying some furnace filters (had them left over from switching heaters) to regular box fans, and they cleared it right up.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I have an old TN dell 19" mounted permanently in portrait and it definitely looks off but is good for reading pdfs while doing repairs and such.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Behold! The land that cable management....forgot!

That's a lot of recordable media.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Sentinel82 posted:

Also, are the cable management and computer holder extras worth a drat? They're only about $23 for both, so I'm curious if they're decent at all.

The computer holder is really personal preference. Depending on the design of your case, it may reduce dust by a small amount. There are a few different cable management options from IKEA, and most are considered decent.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Servers don't run themselves.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Here's my current desktop:

The monitor has served me well for quite a few years, but it's due for a replacement later this year. Might go for a 30" monitor, 26" is starting to feel small.

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/1xnis

I miss Surge.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Can anybody identify this desk? Its made by Metro, but the individual pieces just say super erecta, which is what they call all their shelving parts.
Sorry for the poorly done cropping.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
It was bought as a kit. Its not just a wire rack being used as a desk. Well, it kinda really is, but it was designed that way.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

WorkingStiff posted:

Google "Metro Prep Table".

That's pretty close, but its more shelf than that. Hopefully Metro customer service can identify it for me. Thanks.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Ron Burgundy posted:

I was surprised you posted that, it seems like something that Apple might be upset by if they knew one had gone missing from their store.

Depending on how high you are up in the company of course. Or if you are with them at all, not sure. Maybe you bought one from the supplier. What's the story?

This guy works for Apple's reclamation department. Don't answer these questions.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

The one he's almost definitely looking for isn't listed in those results.

I remember the one that was posted here, then on lifehacker. That's the one he's looking for.

EDIT: This one?
http://lifehacker.com/5839605/the-isolation-chamber-workspace

Triikan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 28, 2012

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd like to start using my displays in a paper-like orientation (not sure if that makes sense, but basically: rotated 90 degrees). But I can still imagine a scenario (read: games) where I'd like to, just temporarily, rotate them back to standard orientation. Does a mount exist that would let me do this?

A lot of mounts and monitors come standard with portrait rotation.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Does anybody know of a product or method to attach a VESA mount to a wire shelf? I'm turning a 6' x 2' wire shelf into a rolling computer desk since I'll be moving everything around constantly the next few months.

My only ideas so far have been mounting a board to the back with U-bolts and mounting on there. I'm not sure what kind of board to use. Don't want it too heavy (tipping hazard), or to look like complete crap (even though a rolling computer shelf isn't going to look the best on any day).
I'm more hoping that somebody sells a product that I can hang from one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandusky-WSHA...=I136A823VX9LTE
Barring that, I'm thinking I can buy two, space them properly, and somehow bolt a wall mount to them.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
That's what I was planning, but with a mount I'd have a bit of adjustability.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
How much do the 8 foot gladiators sell for when they're on sale? Found one on Craigslist that I'll probably pick up, but don't want to make sure I'm not paying more than I can get it on sale.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could, I didn't stop to think if I should

Obviously only about halfway done with the madness, got a couple more screens to mount, along with a tablet stand and a laptop.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2020

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
But then it wouldn't be headless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Get some arm mounts, you won't regret it.