Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

What's with "sexy big butt" Marge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's amazing, that's what.

Well, yes, I certainly am amazed...

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Here is some of my desktop - I still need to:

1: Buy and install the innards
2: Buy a monitor
3: Resist or give in to the urge to paint the monitor
4: Put it on a desk

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nice shirtless selfie dude on your case(?)

Hahaha really - that looks like a topless guy? I guess I know the original photo - its a top-ful woman taking a selfie.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:)

What's the story behind that? I'm genuinely curious as to why it's on your PC case.

Its my missus, taking a selfie while we were on holiday in Hawaii - I took the photo while she was taking the photo, and I think she is very pretty in the photo, so I stencilled her on my computer case :) Making a stencil out of a photo was way way easier than I though it would be.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a topless dude, too.

I don't think Ill tell her that haha - Is the stencil really that ambiguous?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Photex posted:

why would you stencil a picture of your girlfriend on a computer case?

Well, I wanted to stencil something - and I didn't want to do something really nerdy like mario or a band logo or something. I spent ages looking around for stencils or images that I could stencil, and when I saw the photo I thought it was cool looking. Also, its kinda complicated and really stretched my ability. I guess it is a little weird maybe, but I like how it turned out, and its better than some random person I don't know on there, and it reminds me of the time we went to Hawaii together and stood on lava flows and that's a good memory.

I stencilled the gas mask on the other side, because I really like gas masks. There is a sense of futility with gas masks, and they are ominous - its a device that shouldn't need to exist (outside of fire fighters). Also, I like playing stalker so it fits that need to have something game related on the case without overtly stencilling the stalker logo.

Laserface posted:

If the internet has taught me anything, its that you should never post pictures of your girlfriend on the internet unless she is a solid 10.

Agreed, but I thought gently caress it and took the risk. We are all adults here, and its not an overtly sexual pose. Also, its a stencil not a real life photo - its a little more abstract than a photo.

Accretionist posted:

From the thumbnail, it looked like a shirtless dude with 80s hair, but it looks fine in the full-size image so I'm sure it looks fine in real life

phew!

isndl posted:

Looked like a dude to me too. After being told it's a woman and taking a longer look I can start to see the feminine features, but at a glance it's still more like a dude. :shrug:

I guess that is the nature of stencils - it really is a process of subtraction, removing features until there is just enough left to describe the scene. Perhaps I took away to much! I probably could have made sure the feminine features were more detailed, the face and boobs mainly I suppose. Its really hard, since its pretty subjective - I know her face, so that stencil looks like her to me. You don't know what she looks like, so you can only see what you can see.

Thanks for the feedback :D Next time I do some stencilling, I'll know where I can improve. Another improvement I could make is the actual process of getting the image onto the case - here is the process I followed:

1. Found the images I wanted to stencil
  2. Processed them in gimp to create the image to stencil - black on white
  3. Used rasterbator to blow the image up to be printed on 4 A4 images - printed out multiple copies of both images
  4. Sanded the case a little
  5. Put on three coats of primer, and three coats of flat white spray paint, waiting a day between each coat for it to dry properly
  6. Covered the case sides in green painters masking tape.
  7. Used a glue stick to stick the A4 paper onto the masking tape
  8. Used a craft scalpel to cut the black bits out
  9. Spray painted the case sides with black glossy spray paint
  10. Removed the green painters tape
  11. Noted that it bloody pulled off a bunch of the primer and white
  12. Realised I put the base coats on too thick, and didn't let it dry enough, and probably the sanding wasn't any where near good enough
  13. Swore quite a lot
  14. Sanded the whole lot right back to bare metal
  15. Put on 10 really thin coats of primer, and ten really thin coats of flat white spray paint, each coat looked like a kid had sneezed on the case - this meant it dried really fast, and I could do the whole lot in about 2 hours, instead of putting one thick coat on and waiting overnight for it to dry
  16. Covered the case sides in green painters masking tape.
  17. Used a glue stick to stick the A4 paper onto the masking tape
  18. Used a craft scalpel to cut the black bits out
  19. Spray painted the case sides with black glossy spray paint
  20. Removed the green painters tape
  21. Noted that the base paint stayed where it bloody well should
  22. Noticed that if you looked really really closely, the scalpel had scored grooves into the actual metal, and some of the base coat had flaked off around the cuts in some places showing the bare metal
  23. Thought "gently caress it - you can't see it unless you look really really close"
  24. Put on 3 or 4 coats of glossy clear kote - I didn't have to be quite as careful with this coat
  25. Pulled of all the masking tape from the slots and screw holes on the rest of the case - the case was beige and brown before I painted it white. I wish I had a before picture actually....
  26. Washed all the parts, put it back together, sat back and was relieved it looks great :)

Things I learnt:

1. Don't skimp on the sanding
  2. Spray paint many coats, don't go for 2 or 3 full coverage coats waiting 24 hours between coats - go for many many quick sneezy coats waiting 3 or 4 minutes betweenand get it done in an hour
  3. Be objective of the stencil, accentuate a little parts that may be ambiguous
  4. Using a craft scalpel (or probably even a craft knife/box cutter) to cut the stencil out may not be the best approach
  5. Perhaps get the image printed out at a vinyl cutters or other sticker place

klen dool
May 7, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

ARE YOU MY MOMMY?

Yep, I sure am. Now clean your teeth and go to bed - you've got school in the morning.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry, I can't really recommend Doctor Who, but it's from that show.

Oooooooooooooh of course, the gas masks growing out of faces in ww2 era London - whoosh indeed.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Comatoast posted:

A professional painter will tell you to do several light coats, like you mentioned, and then a final thick coat to dry for the night. The first couple coats act like sticky fingers that grab onto the final coat, or that's how the painter I knew described it. Who knows what is actually happening, but it works.

Oh okay, that does make sense I guess :) I actually just painting my dvd drive face today, hopefully I'll be able to take and post pics tomorrow of my setup

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yay finally got everything set up nicely:

Close up of the case with painted optical drive:

Where I sit when I use a controller:

Where I sit when I use a keyboard and mouse:

A close up of the monitor on the left - a reclaimed laptop monitor:

This is what I got:

• Seagate 1000GB Hard Drive
  • 500W PSU
  • 4x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 GHz, Socket 1150, Haswell
  • AsusGeForce GTX 960 Video Card, 2048MB
  • Asus Vanguard B85 Motherboard, Socket 1150
  • Asus DVD Writer

I'll upgrade with an SSD later, when they get cheaper.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

They're so loving cheap and the best thing you can do to your system. Stop being lazy/a cheapskate; you'll do it and wonder how you lived without them.

That one is not cheap, its 1nzd per GB. I can get a one terabyte for 100nzd which is 10cents a GB. The performance for the cost just isn't worth it - and I am saying that as someone with a 128gb ssd in a chromebook (running Linux) and a 500gb Intel ssd in his work computer.

It's not lazyness, nor is it being a cheapskate - its just not worth it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

lol it's totally worth it

Not in my situation it's not. Not every tool is appropriate for every situation.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Eh, don't listen to 'em, they'll only get cheaper and you'll soon be tripping over them.

They are hella good though. And cheap!

I agree - apart from the cheap part, they are 10 times the price! At work i have scripts that do all sorts of things on the command line with git repos - changing the prompt to tell me all the relevant information - I can't do this with a spinning disk, just too slow. With an ssd its unnoticeable.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

KingEup posted:

Yes, because they are better.

They are better, just not ten times better - they are not worth ten times the price to me.

KingEup posted:

By the way, what do you do that requires 16GB of ram yet no SSD?

What ever the gently caress I want - you seem really interested in making sure I realise that I brought the wrong equipment for you and are also making the mistake that my requirements match yours.

My machine performs great, and I don't sit there watching it boot every time I sit at it so I do not notice the lack of an ssd. Soon, ssds will be cheaper and It'll be worth it bit not at the moment. gently caress man even the xbone and ps4 don't come with ssds, nor do the majority of laptops I've seen for sale. I wouldn't call ssds a niche item like they were a year or two ago, but I would call them exactly essential either.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Applications load faster too, and you don't have to get rid of your mass storage devices either; it's not "replace every byte of disk space with flash," it's about putting your applications and operating system where they will spend less time sending your disks spinning and looking for sectors, and actually doing poo poo.

Using consoles as a reason not to upgrade is also a weak argument. Consoles generally use weaker hardware because it's more cost-effective, and they are trying to not lose MORE money on each unit sold (every console is a loss-leader); so if they can, they often skimp on the size and speed of the storage, and use inflated cost models to "upgrade" people who want useful amounts of storage in their console.

But whatever sit there with your loving weird rear end computer and bitch when people try to give you advice in the "judge my poo poo" thread.

Telling people that their subjective values are wrong because they don't align to yours is not advice, and the console comparison is apt since this is what this machine basically is - and I used similar reasoning when choosing components.

Also, this is not a "judge my poo poo" thread - its a "post your desktops and also keep you epenis in your pants" thread.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

you're an idiot

That's pretty mean, and it made me feel bad :(

klen dool
May 7, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Here's where I sit.

What's that thing under your left monitor with a light on it?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

SamDabbers posted:

Yep, it's a sound bar. The monitors have a mount point and built-in power supply for a sound bar. It's good enough for youtube videos and background music, and I have headphones for the rest.

That's pretty cool actually!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Do not be alarmed man of the past, I am talking to you from a distant location via what you may know of as "the information super highway." You appear to have fallen through an uncharted time rift, and are now trapped in the future year TWO-ZERO-ONE-FIVE C-E. Please remain calm, and avoid touching anything you encounter, you know not the terrible dangers which they undoubtedly possess. I have alerted the constabulary, they will arrive momentarily to return you to safely to the year of your lord, 2005 A.D.

I've been informed that ssds are almost half the price in yanky land than they are here in Aotearoa and that may be why people think I am dumb for not getting one.

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=twister_B00PRDMHLU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vs

https://m.mightyape.co.nz/product/500GB-Samsung-850-EVO-SSD-540MB-Read520MB-Write/23000902

250nzd vs 420nzd. So yeah, in a way, I am from the past since our prices make it seem that way. At 250 I might have almost spent the extra cash. But not at 420, and I wanted to buy locally so I am covered by our nice consumer laws.

Now, where did i park my delorean....

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does synergy still break catastrophically if you take one of the computers away? I remember trying to run it between my desktop and my MacBook years ago and every time I took my laptop to work, I'd have to set it up again when I got home.

No - its really good. I use it at work with 3 computers - one is a laptop which I take away each night.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I could not do without dualies at work, no way no how. I have 4 at the moment but one of them is a clock, because its on its way out and I like having a big JavaScript clock.

At home I technically have dualies but one monitor is a hacked up repurposed laptop screen at 1280x800 that is a clock 95% of the time while I play games or watch videos on the normal monitor. If I am working at home though I use it for documentation. Previously, if i was working from home i'd just chucked my laptop on my desk with synergy for documentation.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

I debated a gladiator, I opted to build my own out of ikea parts. Butcher block can be had for super cheap in the ikea kitchen section.

http://imgur.com/a/xkehe

Why is that called a butcher's block? Every butcher's block I've ever seen is square and about 50cm deep, usually with a concave top although that's probably because of the cutting....

klen dool
May 7, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Think that "butchers block" is just used a reference to that style with the layered blocks of wood. They make it in huge sections and you can cut it up if you want to make actual butcher blocks or use to make a table or counter top or whatever you want.

Oh that makes sense :)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yeah I have mine on a 10cm high stand under the desk but if I didn't have that I'd be putting it on the desk as well, mainly because of dust and cat hair and stuff like that.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Honest question, I'm confused why you're still on Windows 8.1.

Like theres the Windows 7 for life idiots who refuse to admit Windows 10 is legitimately better, but I didn't think anyone preferred 8.

I did. I liked the UI.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Once I get my camera in order I'm goint to post in this thread. I have a desk that has been used by a woman who has had three (or maybe four) comets named after her and it was made by a carpenter. She was a swell person. They say she "didn't talk in eleven languages" but she was like a grandmother to me.

I loved my grand-aunt and once I'm done with being banded (which will hopefully be soon) I will post the desk.

That's an interesting phrase - "didn't talk in eleven languages". What does it mean?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Since having to squeeze an extra office into our house in the corner of the bedroom quickly, I just used a dining room chair - and you know what? I don't miss a wheely bendy office chair one bit. This chair is surprisingly comfy.
I made the desk out of spare ply and $9 legs. Those monitors are gonna be replaced with an ultrawide at some point - I prefer even one 2560x1080 over two 1920x1080 monitors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

colas posted:

what's that on the wall?

Its a print called "big five" by James Jean :)

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/james-jean-big-five

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I 100% think that one 21:9 2560x1080 monitor is better than 2 16:9 1920x1080 monitors, despite the fact that the former has less horizontal pixels than the latter. Its not very intuitive and I doubted it would be better until I used one. The lack of a bezel right in the middle just makes the smaller area way more usable.

I will admit though its nice to have a monitor off to the side for utility reasons. This is my work setup, the little monitor off to the side (its a laptop) just plays videos or has documentation:

I have an identical monitor elsewhere in the house for my desktop pc for gaming and I miss a smaller offset a little bit but I only use that for gaming so whatevers. I do have a hacked up small laptop monitor I could use but the missus uses it all day for work so its not really my desk.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Which model LG is that?

Also, is the bottom of the glass head closed? Could you fill it with milk and drill a hole for a straw somewhere?

LG 34WL500-B 34" 21:9 - it's the cheapest 21:9 that's not teeny tiny. It's very bare bones, it doesn't swap inputs automatically, it only has 2 HDMI in, it does have a headphone for audio over HDMI which is handy though.

Haha no the head isn't closed at the bottom

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

that unfinished drywall and glass mannequin head are giving me weird vibes

Yeah, we are doing renos at the mo and this area won't be even started for months....

klen dool
May 7, 2007

frogbs posted:

Thank you! How do you like using that vs a 24/27” 4K monitor, if you’ve used one before?

I've not actually, I can only compare it to two similar sized 16x9's. I was considering getting a 4k of some sort but that monitor is used for gaming and I'd never use a 4k resolution, or my missus at work and she has dodgy eyesight.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I agree, there are much better uses.

whats that oval thingy on the right of your desk?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yep. Totally misread that post.

I worded it really wrong - I should have said "whats that oval thingy on the right SIDE of your desk?"

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

https://www.jbl.com/voice-activated-speaker/JBL+LINK+VIEW.html

It’s apparently for sale right now for $99. BUY! BUY! BUY! Google Display, very decent speakers, absolute steal for $99.

Not in NZ, its $500 south pacific pesos :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Koskun posted:

So you are wanting something so you can use a single mouse and keyboard on multiple computers? Synergy is still around, but it's paid only now. Microsoft has Mouse without Borders for free, and works great.

synergy was forked and continues to be free and open source as barrier now:

https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Whoa 2008 this thread is oooooold