Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
That thing your monitor is sitting on, what is it called? Is it called a surge protector or switch box? I remember they used to be popular back a long time ago, and now they seem to be non-existant, I know a few people who would really like to get their hands on one.

Also, why did they go away? They seem like a smart idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

well why not posted:

mismatched music production gear, as well as the monitor stand I've since replaced (as it fell apart)

not a flattering photo, but this screen owns, it's an ASUS ProArt something or other. It's a medium gloss 1080p 24" LED IPS screen.

Monitors are BX5a's, and the ridiculously overdone sound card is a Saffire 24.

What is the tablet thing with 81 red/yellow/green lights?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

What kind of chair is that? I'm in the market for a new desk chair and that one is exactly what I'm looking for.

I used to own one of those chairs, that is an older version of Wal-mart's cheapest chair with arms, closest thing you can get now is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flash-Furniture-Mid-Back-Fabric-Task-Chair-with-Nylon-Arms/17276924

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Commander Keenan posted:

I like to keep it clean.

Nice cacodemon. Is that a robocop movie, or game?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My current desk is hilariously covered in filth right now, it would make a nice goony pic except I already disposed of all the piss bottles. I am being evicted from my 1st floor nice, square, 10 x 10 room and moving into a soon to be finished basement irregular tetradecagon shaped room:

The greenish desk in the floor plan above is my future basement Goon Command and Control Operations Center(tm). The dimensions of that alcove measure 5'5" x 4'. To the left, the next "alcove" (or wing of the main area) measures 7'2" x 2'9", in this area I want to put a work bench or desk so that I can have a hobby area for models and other man-child toys. The yellow-ish box is supposed to represent a file cabinet, and the last barely visible box in front of the door represents a book case.

For the desk itself, I think my best option will be to mount two or three shelf standards, and use 24" brackets and a piece plywood. I still like sitting on my rear end, but wall mounting with standards would allow the possibility of a standing desk in the future. With the dimensions of the room, I don't think there is any better spot to put a desk. . . I plan to install my old desk (Target brand writing table) just to see if the 5'5" x 4' alcove is too claustrophobic or not.

As for the shelf/desk load, looking at sagulator, I have use the default load of 30lbs/foot. I'm sure my monitors are significantly less than 30lbs/foot but I do occasionally lean on my desk and don't want it to collapse. . . What load value should I use in sagulator so that my desk won't fall apart if I lean on it while sitting in my chair? What about if I (200lbs) want to be able to stand on the desk to change a light bulb?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

gently caress that noise. If I want the room to look warm I'll paint it a warmer color. I don't get people who want everything to look yellow so the time.
Stark white daylight bulbs for me. Of course, it doesn't help that the previous owner painted all the walls piss yellow and it just looked even more like rear end when the seller installed yellow bulbs, prior to repainting literally every guest I had cringed when they crossed the threshold.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sininu posted:

Anyone with dual monitors and desktop speakers? I just bought a new 27 inch display and it and the old one take up so much space even on monitor arm I can't figure out if it's even possible to have a nice speaker setup now.

On my triple monitor setup (old cheap 21" LCDs" I simply turned my speakers on their side and put them in front of the monitors. They are almost too tall on their sides, they rub the bezels a little and I have to position them just right. I got the One brand PC soundbar from Walmart for like $20 or $30 and overall I think it's the best sounding $20 PC speaker I have had. It does t have a ton of bass, but it has more bass than my $20 Logitechs without a sub. The downside is that it does take up a little extra space in front of the monitors, which is only a problem since the display I use it with has a base that sticks out really far in front (my other monitors would be just fine). The other downside catch is that it uses USB for power which may or may not be a good thing. Personally, I would prefer to keep my ports free and use a regular pluga not have to occupy one of my USB chargers. I tried using a couple 5v transformers I had with the right barrel plug, but both transformers caused the soundbar to hum, the USB does not do this.

I like the soundbar since it takes up minimal space and stays in one spot. Onn is a cheap Walmart only random, I did not expect to like the quality at first but it's pretty alright. I am thinking about finding a similarly sized soundbar from a reputable brand for my other setup. It's not the best sound, but it's good enough and easy to setup and use.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I think I've posted this image before, but we basically built a shelf above the monitors to hold the speakers (and usually, the cat).

I think I used to have that same stereo system like 20 years ago, I assume yours is about that old? Do you actually use the CD and tape deck features much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I kinda really miss that old stereo, I seem to remember the display having a lot of light and I think like a equalizer. What is the make and model? I want to search for a youtube video of the screen lighting up. I would only want to use the CD player for nostalgia, and the fact that old fashioned electronics like that didn't have software that needed updates or rebooting, it just worked.