Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FISHMANPET posted:

This. I've got more important stuff to do than OCD clean my desk. I just find it strange that the only ones with literally nothing are the Mac users.

Buddy, if you had seen my dorm desk during the latter half of the semester, you would have been shocked. I'm talking about a good three inch mound of crap all over the place- and I have a macbook.

I think most people with a sense of responsibility and shame would make at least some effort to clean up before putting a picture of their Sanctum Sanctorium on the internet. I know some nerds out there love to take pride in showing off how "busy"(sloppy) they are but it's a habit you should grow out of past college- especially since it's really easy to fall into wherever you work (if you clutter at home, you'll clutter at work). A dirty workspace makes you look immature, disorganized, and unprofessional. Also, yes: many mac users do pay at least some attention to aesthetics.

I've got nothing to take a picture of at the moment, since I just moved out for the summer and will be subletting an apartment until September and I don't have a desk. Maybe a futon-as-workstation pic will be up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think the only thing I dislike about your setup is that your monitor stands are inconsistent from one to the other. It's such a small thing but I OCD about things like that for some reason.

This. Also, I keep getting hung up on the iMac being on the side. I'd put it in the middle- but I guess it won't really matter if you're getting rid of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HKR posted:

So I've been running with two Dell U2410's for a while now and decided to get a third. While it was shipping I decided to make room on my desk for it's arrival when I quickly came to the conclusion that my desk was far too small to actually fit all three monitors. So I quickly whipped up a larger support frame for them with some spare wood I had lying around:

Yeahhhhhhhh....as you can see by the sagging, it's not quite large enough to sit on the desk so it's slightly hovering over it. It also looks like poo poo. Decided I'm in for a penny, in for a pound, so I got three of these:

I know all the cables means I'm living in poo poo and I'll try to fix it when I get all my parts. I'm just worried because often I set up my system, get all the cables looking nice, and then have to tear everything apart a month later to upgrade or fix something, and the cable hiding makes the job 1000x harder. If there are ways to get the cables looking neat but still be easily accessible I'm all ears.

Honestly, I think cables looking messy is going to be the least of your "looking like poo poo" problems. I think you'd be better served canceling that $400+ order for Ergotron arms and investing in a new desk. Does your desk even have good places/enough space to mount the arms? It doesn't look like it. Or were you planning on mounting them to the board? Three monitors is going to be way too big for that desk, even if you got rid of the stands.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HKR posted:

I was going to be all like "yeah well these goons just don't know how good I am at this poo poo and started mounting the arms on the desk when I realized you were all right.

Which is okay because I had an old desk I was using for painting just sitting around. I didn't have time to sand off the excess spray on the desk, but I'll do that at a later date.

To be fair, with a little work (maybe a new glossy paintjob or even just some polishing) that could be a really fantastic-looking desk. I love those '40s-'70s style desks that look like they could survive a nuclear blast.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah that thing's gonna be uber-sexy with a little work put into it. Good choice.

Is that sarcasm I sense?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

Is there a way to do this on dual monitors, with a different background on each, and have it set to slideshow mode?

...Only on OSX :smug:

...unless you do what Moey said, but it can be really annoying.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Raikiri posted:

Here's mine (some of it, anyway... my desk is about 11 foot long).

It's lovely but aren't you afraid of over-stressing your fish (assuming you have any) with the vibrations from the speaker?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Raikiri posted:

There aren't any in there now, but when there are anything below 85hz goes the sub which is nowhere near the speakers/tank and I use headphones if I'm gonna have it loud.

I'm also going to move the speaker over a few feet just to make sure.

Got it. Also, what headphone amp is that and how much do you like it/think it's necessary? I'm thinking of putting together a an amplified passive speaker rig for my desk and I'm wondering about headphone amps.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So then I'm correct in assuming you run it in preamp mode to a dedicated amp for the speakers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
When you ask goons about chairs in this thread, they'll almost invariably point you to the Steelcase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron or Embody or a Bodybuilt- all chairs that cost $800+ (The Embody is like $1200).

That said, those are all truly incredible chairs and people swear by them for good reason. They often come with top notch construction and awesome warranties.

Herman Miller also has the Mirra which a lot of people here really like and costs ~$500, give or take, and they just released the SAYL, which is supposed to be their "budget" model starting at around $350 (but it gets more expensive fast if you start adding stuff like movable arms and whatnot). It's gotten really good reviews so far (Designed by Yves Behar, if you care about that sort of thing).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

niss posted:

I have the A legs and am very happy with them.. One advantage to the A legs vs the T is with the A I was able to add a rear facing leg in the middle of the extensions for a bit more reinforcement, not that it really needed it, but it made me feel better. By doing this with just half of the A I didn't loose any openness on the front of the desk.

Most people asked ITT have stressed picking the T-Leg over the A but I don't have any good experience to give an opinion on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Centipeed posted:

When I heard an English "expert" call the early French film scene "L'age du cinema", I found it ludicrous.

...Except that that's actually what the people participating in that movement called the period of time in which they were working, so the title is more of a reference to a specific point and a body of work than an attempt to sound highfalutin.

Do you also 'sperg out when people refer to the Fifteenth Century as the Renaissance or the latter half of the Eighteenth Century as The Age of Enlightenment?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 9, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

My clean desktop, and my cluttered "desktop". Now with a proper picture.

Is that a Schiit Lyr next to that enormous speaker?

If so, how do you like it? How does it compare to the Valhalla/Asgard?

What are you running those massive speakers from?-it can't be a headphone amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Response

Ah. Nice. Is it connected to some sort of DAC or preamp, or is it straight off of the computer? What was the discount like (not that I'm trying to pry or be improper....if you don't want to post it you don't have to)?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

modeski posted:

I must be retarded if Ikea furniture is confusing me. I bought Vika Annefors storage/legs and followed the instructions to the letter - well, to the picture. Only for some reason this meant I ended up with hard plastic bits that you nail in on the top, rather than the bottom where they should go.

Maybe it's a manufacturing defect? If you can take it back/look at a showroom one in person, I might go do that (use it as an excuse to eat meatballs/buy some killer salmon spread and cake).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

powderific posted:

I probably spend just as much time working on my laptop from this island though:

Where do you work? That building looks fantastic!:swoon:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ptier posted:

Agreed, and their absolute hatred of the Mac Pro (although that can be more because processing is getting the point where it makes sense) and kind of scaling back of the Pro apps. I think their thinking is that there is lots more money in the "prosumer" market than in the full on Pro market. Or that they can meld the Pro into the Prosumer making them LOTS of money.

Apple are pretty obviously banking on Thunderbolt to be the death-knell of the desktop mac tower- at least when it comes to storage and multi-monitor setups. Intel didn't come out with a processor that followed in the path set by the previous Mac Pro updates (at least based on what Apple wanted) in the last year, so Apple didn't update them (and also because they probably didn't give a poo poo)- resulting in a top-of-the-line iMac with a Sandy Bridge i7-quad registering the fastest clock speeds on a mac as of yet.

For the most part, having tons of cores becomes less important than having lots of processing speed and RAM for A/V stuff (this is particularly true when the version of Final Cut Pro worth using doesn't even support those 10 extra cores on your spec'd out Mac Pro). The biggest selling point the Mac Pro has for the A/V market is it's "expandability"- by virtue of its big RAM bay, 4 hot-swappable HDD bays, and 4 PCI E bays. Because of that, A/V people don't really need to blow several grand extra on 6/8/12-core computers (but lots of them do) when a base quad-core should at least suffice. The iMac can already take a lot of RAM and Thunderbolt promises to make the other three points something of a non-issue, albeit in the form of external RAID arrays and PCI E boxes from third-parties. Toss in a faster quad-core processor than the Xeon on the Mac Pro, a solid (though mobile) GPU with 2gb of RAM, and a 27" screen for a few hundred less than the tower alone and you have a legitimately compelling reason to ignore the Mac Pro- especially as a "prosumer."

And now that several third party companies have successfully gotten Thunderbolt notebooks working with desktop GPU's in external docks (in Windows at least, but all you need is an OSX driver to make it workable on OSX) it seems like the desktop might become redundant more quickly. Either that or Apple will just dump the pro market without an afterthought to chase after sweet iOS and Macbook Air money, kill their desktop line, and small companies will develop elaborate and expensive workarounds in order for set-in-their-ways editors to hold onto the Apple workstations they so desperately crave.

Of course, this is all largely speculation and wishful thinking since Thunderbolt's been out for almost a year and Apple have done gently caress-all to push for its wide adoption or get peripherals out there beyond "hey you can buy this 4-bay RAID box for $1,200 if you want."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 19, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ptier posted:

And if you get a "better" box that has some other PCI-E slots, you can start putting black magic or other AV cards in there completely negating the MacPro (I am ok with this).

I am too. I mean, you end up spending like 3 and a half grand at bare minimum on a Mac Pro editing rig as it is when you pop in RAM, a RAID card, a display, extra HDDs, and whatever other peripherals you want (external RAID bays= a lot more than that). A top-tier iMac or up-there MBP with an external TB RAID box is gonna run you at around that much anyway- with the added bonus that both of them are more portable (the iMac is *somewhat* more portable than a Mac pro?) and you can save your external box (and a grand) when you upgrade. As the tech improves I'll be glad to see less reasons to have a big tower.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A couple of interesting audio interfaces with Thunderbolt have been announced so far at NAMM, including stuff from Apogee and UA.

Yeah, but Apple hasn't done anything themselves aside from putting TB in their computers (except for the Mac Pro...you know, because there's no future there *wink wink) and saying "alright....uuh, here's the future of interfaces. Buy our laptops."

Anyway, this is a derail that does not belong in this thread. I'mma see if I take a picture of my "workspace" this weekend.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 20, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

I'm also looking into converting my desk into a standing one. I'm going to go with the ultra cheap-rear end route and just using boxes to prop up my laptop and grabbing a stool for when my legs get tired (standing too long isn't a good idea either). I figure if I like it then I'll do one of those Ikea hacks. The factory-built standing desks I've seen are really expensive and quite ugly. And I'll replace the stool with a drafting chair like the one you posted.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I saw this while doing a bit of googling, and it's probably what I'll build if I decide to go this way, maybe with a half-shelf on top of the cross beams for the case/modem and power strip.

BEHOLD: The glory that is pipe furniture:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-desks-and-68448

You could easily modify the idea to do whatever you want height/shelving-wise.

And here are some rather attractive wall shelves to go along with it (or for inspiration):

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/morgans-amazing-diy-shelving-97760

Once I move in a few weeks, it's probably the route I'm going to take. Spending <$150 on some countertop/reclaimed wood and pipes for a relatively nice looking standing desk (if you're into it) is a lot more appealing than hacking together assorted pieces of furniture or spending several times that amount (I'm poor) for what's ultimately going to be a pretty ugly desk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

At one point I did work at a retail location and was allowed to take the Pro Sign out of the building by a manager (along with some large display iPod signs). This was against policy but we had cool/defiant managers. I haven't worked at an Apple store in years though.

The big Apple sign was from an Apple Authorized Retailer that went under a few months back. The owner was pissed because Apple didn't provide him with enough inventory and he sold off all his signage (A friend bought a large MacBook Air banner for his office). It has a cord hanging out the back because I put a transformer inside to run the neon. It was originally strung together with other lights on a huge in wall transformer that would make no sense for me to duplicate. I'm in a rental house, but when we move out, assuming we purchase, I'll run that cord behind the wall.

Do you have the giant logo light on often, or do you usually leave it off if you're at the desk? Disturbed feelings about obsessive brand loyalty aside, it just seems like it'd be way too loving big and bright (and it's neon, apparently) to keep directly over your monitor without toasting your eyeballs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Post your (actual) thoughts about Apple poo poo in some dude's home office with grandma curtains

mediaphage posted:

Jesus, I always used to like reading this thread. He likes Apple, you guys gave him poo poo, now let it die, for gently caress's sake.

Oh, come on. I had a legitimate question here, I wasn't trying to give him grief.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bacon! posted:

New spread featuring a 27" korean monitor friend:

Somebody (probably me) has likely asked this before, but what speakers are those? They look fantastic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

glompix posted:

Silly goons, this is how you know if your computer is on or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cfgEaKKos

Oddly enough, I dig the red/blue light strip across the front of the train.

It's like Awkward Steampunk Knight Rider.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Here's my desktop for the next week:

And here's the view from the window, if I just turn left:

If it isn't totally clear, I'm at a hotel. I'm currently in Yiwu, China- taking care of biznasssss :dukedog:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 17, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

slightpirate posted:

So I have these monstrous floor speakers that are about 1ft. square and 4 feet tall that I'd like to put in storage and instead use some politely sized bookshelf speakers with good response across most frequencies to go with my steam-lined desk Any recommendations?

Anything from Audioengine. Go to the PC Speakers thread in IYG (usually on the first or second page) and you'll see that just about every other post is a recommendation for them. I have a pair of A2s at my desk at home and a pair of P4s as HT surround fronts and I can't recommend them enough. They look gorgeous, the fit and finish are impeccable, they sound fantastic, their shipping/warranty/customer service are all great, and they cost a LOT less than the PSB Imagines that titaniumone recommended (sorry, dude).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Argas posted:

Out of curiosity, any idea if it's possible to use Audioengine's speakers as part of a larger setup? I doubt I'll replace my old mediocre Z-5500s anytime soon but whenever I do replace them, I'm reluctant to have less speakers.

It depends. The A2 and A5+ are active speakers. They have built-in amps. That's not to say that you couldn't use them as surrounds if you knew what you were doing, but you should never connect active speakers to an external amplifier or receiver like you would some "standard" speakers. The P4 are passive. There's no integrated amp to speak of- just a crossover, a tweeter, a woofer, and a cabinet. You treat them as you would any other regular speaker- in that you'll need an amp/receiver to drive them.

titaniumone posted:

I'm sure those are alright but aren't really comparable and why I told him to specify a budget.
\
:smug::fh:

Oh snap, your $750/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag are in a completely different league from my $330/pair bookshelf speakers with gushing reviews from Stereophile Mag. I'm sorry for making a suggestion. I've listened to the PSB minis. They're good, but also overpriced.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Your speakers have a built-in amplifier and a 2.75" woofer, mine need an external amplifier and have a 4" woofer. They are meant for different purposes, and hence why I said not really comparable. It has nothing to do with being smug. Why are you so ridiculously passive-aggressive? We can both offer suggestions.

The P4 are passive speakers that require external amplification and have a 4" woofer also. In retrospect, I realize that I hadn't been entirely clear with the model of Audioengine speaker that I was promoting. As I posted before, the company makes 2 active lines (the A2- with 2.75" woofers and A5+- with 5" woofers) and the P4, which are passive and have similar specs to the PSB minis. Anyway, sorry if I jumped down your throat a bit. I really thought you were simply dumping on the P4s for being cheaper.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Drogadon posted:

Work machine on the left, personal on the right

Your work machine is the mac and your personal one is the Dell? Isn't it usually the opposite in situations like this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vty posted:

The only things I've ever found that I think look good in a modern environment are extremely expensive, usually Herman Miller, Knoll, C&B, etc. George Nelson has some incredible designs.

I think CB2 and IKEA both make desks that can look really good in a well-crafted environment. Both of them are below DWR in terms of cost (particularly IKEA).

Maybe try digging around Apartment Therapy for ideas? I know they've put up some decent DIY stuff before too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I suppose I'll crosspost my dining/music/general purpose room from the NMD Vinyl thread since my bedroom still doesn't have a proper desk in it (and won't for a while) and the dining room table is where I do the bulk of my work and gooning these days. In the pictures, my computer screen is looking at the full mitochondrial genome sequence of a species of mantis shrimp on NCBI- which is seriously what I'm working on right now.

:science: SCIENCE! :science:

quote:

Is posting your :krad: setup still the cool thing to do in this thread?

My roomie and I are still in the process of putting up art and curtains all over the new apartment, but the dining/music/reading room is ready enough and the ladder was handy, so I snapped a few pics. It's not quite there yet- hopefully the mess will be gone by week's end. We've really put a lot of work into the place over the last 3 weeks. The blue on the walls used to be a gross hospital pink/beige.

The plan with the armchair/side table is to turn that spot into a little reading/listening nook complete with fancy headphones in the near future. There are actually about a good ~4 feet between them and the dining table, so the space isn't nearly as cramped as the angle in the photo makes it look.

The Expedit "credenza" has a good portion of my vinyl in it, but a fair amount's boxed up in my bedroom. To be honest, I still don't know where I'm going to put it.

Click for big:

As far as equipment:

Table: Vector Research VT-250. I plan to replace it with a lime green Debut Carbon in the spring.

Receiver: Nakamichi Receiver-2. I love the hell out of this thing, but I've got this Yamaha CR-2040 with double the WPC waiting to take its place once I finish cleaning it up and slap some new veneer on it. Hopefully it'll look something like this when I'm done fixing it. I'm gonna put the Nak in my bedroom eventually.

Speakers: Technics SB-K14 and Bose 201 Series IV. Altogether, they cost me $16. Both pairs are pretty crappy on their own, but together they make a halfway decent stereo setup since the Technics have no real midrange to speak of and the Bose are basically nothing but midrange. They're also on my 'Replace' list for summer but I've got no idea what I'll put in their stead yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ZTeamIsDead posted:

The floppy drive is just for decoration. :)

What about the Wavebird?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Kmart desk, lamp from Art Van, Staples chair with the arms removed, $100 Acer monitor, 13" rMBP and a Lenovo T400.

This explains everything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

What speakers are those and how do you like them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a nice glass desk that matches the aesthetic of the room. Something clean, not that "cool 2002 dad office" Z-line poo poo. Anyone know?

Martytoof posted:

What desk are you using now? I love it. I wouldn't change a thing about it, but that's just me :)

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's an IKEA something. I just feel like its a little large. I'm trying to remove and reduce as much as I can in my place.

Martytoof posted:

Fair enough. It could probably be half its size and still do a great job. I'm going to have to check out Ikea because that is like the perfect desk for me.

Not sure if this is of interest or not, but IKEA makes the Micke in multiple sizes and configurations. They have one that's basically the same desk PRADA SLUT has now, only half the length (or is it width?).
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/17499/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cmdrpinky posted:

Eurocom monster hooked up to two dell 23" ultrasharps.

Desk is a leftover scavenged from my families basement as is the card table. (kinda goony, i'll admit) looking at upgrading to one of those ikea corner desks in the future.

Got lucky with the aeron, my old work was replacing all of their office furniture, so I snagged that guy for free.

Those A2's and that Aeron deserve a nicer looking desk bro. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It's like the ceramic dragon-and-wizard statue of desks.

sports posted:

It's like the gaming rig of desks.

It's like the anime shrine bedroom of desks.

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress comfortlogical use of space, you want what is socially acceptable to all those who shall look at your setup! Remember to post pictures so we can coach you on what is and isn't good. You know all those cheap poor people with Ikea Galants? Yeah don't be a loser baby child with baby furniture like them, get yourself a custom built live edge deskelite gamerz pod. Sure it might cost thousands but really you wouldn't want people to think your a child right? Also you drat well better have a Embody or better or you will be mocked!

What's your point? Are you really arguing that a $50,000 glorified recliner/porn cocoon is somehow more dignified than spending extra on nicer specimens of normal people furniture?

Also, Embodys are basically the most comfortable desk chairs in the world so I don't know what you're on about there either.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 6, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kersonan posted:

i was kinda meh on this until you used the term porn cocoon, now i want one :P

http://youtu.be/ie2a6nDyhqg?t=3m59s
Pretend it's not sped up.

TenementFunster posted:

Also peep the main event:

Hubba hubba.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 13, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Garbage in, garbage out really.

Yeah. Ikea just has the reputation to precede them since a major portion of their catalog exists within the sort of price range where "garbage in" is the name of the game and there was about a two-decade span of time where it made up the bulk of what they were known for.

I've had a fair amount of Ikea stuff (and there's a lot of it in my current home) that's quite good and solid and totally doesn't deserve the sort of poo poo-slinging that the brand often gets from goons.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

There's no such thing as diminishing returns or reasonable pricing in the world of luxury items, no one actually NEEDs any of these things so why would they be reasonably priced? Its all about want and what one can afford. Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that a $10k sofa is probably exactly the same as a $17.5k sofa but the fact of the matter is people want $17.5k sofas and can afford them, so they will get made and sold.

Duck and Cover posted:

Yes, and that doesn't make it any less ridiculous that's all I'm saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJkhSUSnek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I've seen this one at Ikea in person and it seems really durable, nice looking, and relatively easy to mount- but I don't think you'd be able to fit a keyboard/mouse in there.