Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I want a setup equivalent to what a my friend of mine has:

The first iteration of his expanded setup was sub par, on which the above was a big improvement:

Jarl fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

widefault posted:

Where do you have that Matrix screen saver / background from? - I've seen some before, but they are never that good.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

This truly speaks to the child in me, and I love the red font version.

:downs: So pretty.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Stuntman Mike posted:

Just built a new PC and got a new desk. This fucken IKEA stainless steel desk is awesome:

Also, that lamp is nice.

Doesn't that feel a bit chilly, or does it warm up fast?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Photex posted:

No but if I put a chair in front you wouldn't be able to see my desktop which would then mean I would need to start a new thread post your (actual) chair and monitor. :smug:

I think it is generally better to look down than up on your default monitor. Otherwise could stress your eyes. If this criteria is met it must be some chair. Especially if you don't want to reach your keyboard from afar. :)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

She's probably 13 years old

I don't think you are way off, but wow what a setup (computer gear wize) for a 13 year old.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

It doesn't get any more classic.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

It's okay. I'm still sporting my Samsung Syncmaster 940b in glorious 1280x1024. :toot:

I'm the only one of my friends without a widescreen :smith:

I got that one too (4:3 19" 1280x1024) :( Oh and mine got a bug stuck on the inside in the corner down to the left. Also the colors aren't exactly crispy. The latter has probably always been the case.

Until about two months ago one of my friends had a worse computer screen than mine. It was an 17" CRT (the colors had turned nicotine yellow) and definitely stood out at LAN's. The next LAN it will be my turn :(

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

timb posted:

I have saved that image for future inspiration on how to do it right when I finally can afford it. - About a year from now.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Here's my brother-in-law's desk. He currently lives in the same house as my wife and I and I get to experience this 10 feet from our bedroom door.

He uses this computer every day for a couple hours. Now he did manage to make a room to actually use the keyboard and mouse.

Living like poo poo indeed.

Not shown: The 14 (I counted) empty McDonalds fast food bags (most being 20 piece McNugget meals).

He has to be moving a lot of stuff around each time he wants to use that computer. Also he can't possibly need all that poo poo. Give the man a garbage can as a thoughtful present.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Rarely have my gag reflexes kicked in like that. Didn't see anything Mac, but I am not going back to check.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

braden posted:

orion nebula wallpaper:

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

Thanks. Love that wallpaper.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Centipeed posted:

Every time I build a computer I swear I'm not going to build another, but then a month or so later I forget how horrible it is.

The work, the result or both?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Centipeed posted:

[...], and dealing with problems that arise, [...]

Have to agree. Had the same computer for 6½ years. Then two months ago build a new one. On my old one I had to under-clock the ram from 400 to 366, so I was determined for that not to happen again.
A friend and I both build the exact same computer with the cpu, mobo and ram copied from a common friend's computer that was build one month prior. The ram were supposed to be 1600 and they performed excellently at that speed on our friends computer, but on both of ours it were unstable unless we under-clocked it to 1333. Turns out that although it was the same model it wasn't the same series, and that made all the difference.

I thought this was very unfair, since it would be the same as if a friend bought a TV and you bought the exact same model a little later only to discover that an important feature was missing. If it's different then give it a different model number you bastards.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

And beyond that, the heatsink and memory go on the motherboard before it goes in the case[...]

What if it's a really heavy heatsink. I would be afraid that the mobo would bend if one wasn't really careful.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Gargladdy posted:

Here's my current setup until I get a desk. I threw out my last CRT during a move, so I need a monitor (or two) hence using my tv.

I just setup that box on the right so I can throw things on it from my laptop and stream them on my ps3, so far so good!

And if you look a little further left, you'll see this guy:

Very Japanese.

A fine temporary solution though. :)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Epileptic Nazi posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? Is this gentleman hacking the gibson?

Looks like he is coding and his editor is Emacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

It is, and it's great. Had one for 3,5 years and counting.

Jarl fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 9, 2014