Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
My keyboard's better. :smug:
(Living like poo poo forever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

GreatGreen posted:

I want to go to there. How I can get go?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this is off topic but I was going to buy an Ikea desk and it is not in stock at my local Ikea (according to the website) and "the expected delivery date is unavailable". Does anyone know if I can ask to have it shipped to Ikea to avoid the $120 shipping charge if I buy it online?

AFAIK, IKEA is a real jerk about stuff like that. They have a keyboard tray that I really want, and it's only $10, but the closest IKEA that would have one is like 3 hours away, and I'll be damned if I'm paying $30 to have it shipped/$60 to go get it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

grumperfish posted:

I built a protools PC for my great-uncle, and he just sent me pics of his desktop setup (not sure what all this poo poo does, but it looks neat at least) :

I'm kind of surprised that he spent what I'm guessing is quite a bit of money and had you build him a PC. Normally people spending that level of money buy Macs, not because they're actually better at it, but because people think they are.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I vaguely remember reading that OSX had some set of something-or-others built into it that handled digital audio transcoding/streaming to DAWs better, but now that I type that sentence out, it seems like bullshit. That said, I know dick about OS engineering, so...

I use Windows to record music, and I have no problems that aren't the result of me being a poo poo musician.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Alexander Nevermind posted:

:haw: CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

What mousepad is that? It looks like a steelseries, but what model specifically?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've never understood why more people don't just use a blank black background.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 6, 2012

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Juriko posted:

Ikea Galant with the A legs.

What he/she said. The upper shelf is two Ekby Jarpen shelves side by side, held up by Ekby Tore brackets.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Telex posted:

I've never understood why people put their computer in kicking distance, when there's plenty of space on the sides of their desks that are not in kicking distance.

I don't want the computer near the door or window, and it just so happens I'm a grown adult who can sit still without involuntarily kicking out at things.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

BobOfDoom posted:

I'd love to hear about the equipment you're running there. Particularly what monitors/what you're using to lift them from the desk/whatever's going on on the right under the desk.

The monitors are Yamaha HS80Ms. The riser things are Auralex Monitor Isolation Pads. The rack underneath the desk has (from top to bottom) a MultiMix 8 line mixer (to control volume from the computer and my interface), a power "conditioner" (glorified surge protector) and then a patch bay that doesn't really get used, but might in the future.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'd like to start using my displays in a paper-like orientation (not sure if that makes sense, but basically: rotated 90 degrees). But I can still imagine a scenario (read: games) where I'd like to, just temporarily, rotate them back to standard orientation. Does a mount exist that would let me do this?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

quick and dirty photo of the new desk layout. I like this setup because it encourages reading and I actually feel like my eyes strain less for one reason or another.

Side viewing angles are absolutely poo poo, though.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

SevenSocks posted:

Expensive looking speakers, cut foam packing stands. Crafty. Dual widescreen monitors in portrait orientation for maximum eBook. Also crafty.

Given the classy speakers, music stand, and name-escapes me audio device in the
bottom right I take it you're a music kind of person.
The foam things the speakers are on are actually specifically made for large studio speakers, which in this case, are Yamaha HS-80Ms. They're supposed to prevent the desk from vibrating as a result of the speakers being on top of them, but I never use them at such high volumes that they would do that in the first place anyway, so really they're just used to point the speakers in my direction. I am sort of a music person.

SevenSocks posted:

Also, is that webcam a C615 or similar? I was planning on buying a refurbished one to hang in the hall outside my door so I can monitor the often loud goings on. :tinfoil: and wanted to know how good of a camera it is. Scale of 1 - 10
It's a C920, and I'd honestly give it a 10. Works in linux, has oustanding video quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Does anybody know if a monitor stand exists for this kind of setup:

Alternatively, I've already got a dual monitor stand, but I can't seem to find any stands that would allow a 27" monitor to peek out above two 24" monitors in portrait.