Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ample posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of record player is that? I want to buy my brother a decent record player for the holidays without breaking the bank.

Pretty sure it's a Rega, either a P1 or P2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Death by Toaster posted:

This post inspired me to actually use my desk!

The true highlight of this picture is in the top right corner. I want the Atlantis sets but can't rationalize the hit to the checking account quite yet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Corbet posted:

Just got back from Ikea...

Rega RP1?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Great. Now I'm going to spend tomorrow pricing out a desk instead of being productive.

I mean, I wasn't going to be productive anyway, but still.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Why doesn't anyone discuss the SmartDesk?

Do you have one? The pricing seems good.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ethereal posted:

I just received my autonomous smartdesk.

What size did you order?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'm going to order the 73" x 30".

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sharparoni posted:

I mean this sincerely, please keep us updated. They look good to me and I might order one in six months or so if they are as good as they look.

I ordered it on Sunday. The estimated arrival date is the first week of November.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

shookwell posted:

I ordered the autonomous standing desk. When I went to order it they were having a sale on their chair so I bought one of those too.

Might be a few more weeks before I'm finished with the office space, we'll see how it all turns out.

I also have that desk on order, but I'm waiting on reviews of the chair.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My Autonomous SmartDesk arrived two days ago. I got it assembled and into place, but won't be able to make use of the height feature until I get some longer cables and work out routing. Right now I'm living like poo poo.

At the sitting height it is incredibly stable, heavy desk.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

How long did it take to arrive? Which desk finish did you get?

The reviews are incredibly mixed on them.

I ordered it on September 18. The estimated shipping dates were Oct 31 - Nov 7. It arrived on Nov 1.

I got the dark wood finish. The wood quality is adequate, but not excellent. It doesn't wobble more than any other home desk I've used.

It feels much more solid than the IKEA Bekant sit stand desk, which I had considered at one point.

It feels somewhat flimsy compared to my government issue sit stand desk that I have at work. But I believe my work one cost about $3,000, so that's understandable. I can put my full weight on that one and it wobbles maybe a quarter inch.

Based on first impressions and my limited time with it, I feel like it was a good value for the money.

I'll post pictures of it, together with my rats nest of wires, tonight.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine is single motor. 70 x 30 size.

I'm 6'5" and the single gets taller than I need.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

All of this being said, I'm open to other suggestions I might not have thought of, even if that's a radically different style. I just thought the 98" oak countertop would make for a great, solid base that would last me basically forever.

Have you considered a gladiator workbench? The 8 foot bench is only $449 msrp, is height adjustable, and will hold up to any amount of abuse you can throw at it.

If I hadn't gone for a sit-stand desk, I would have gone for a gladiator.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

tvgm2 posted:

How's the SmartDesk working for you? Do you stand all day? Have you noticed improvements to your health? Any problems with it?

Overall it's working out really well. I stand for at least 2 hours a day. I don't find standing all day to be particularly comfortable, but the 2 hours definitely helps my posture. I'm not slouching as much as I used to. I will say that my upper back ached for the first two weeks while I adjusted to standing so much.

The issues that I've had are minor and easily dealt with. I'm over 6'4", and the single motor desk gets just high enough for me (like it couldn't be more perfect), but the standard dell monitor stands didn't allow enough height adjustment to be comfortable -- I was stuck looking down at the monitors. I ended up with a metal monitor platform to get an extra 5" of height, which put the screen up to a comfortable height.

The desk does have some wobble at full height, which is expected. It's particularly bad if the keyboard is right at the edge of the desk. But push the keyboard in 4-5 inches and the wobble is reduced substantially.

I tried an amazon basics dual monitor arm at first. It only gave about 2" of extra height, which wasn't enough, and the screen wobbled horribly.

The only other thing to note is that cabling really needs to be thought out if you keep your pc on the floor.

While I don't think that everyone needs a standing desk, if you have back issues I would highly recommend it. After the initial adjustment time, I've had noticeably less back pain.

I would also get an ultra wide monitor instead of two screens, since readjusting the two screens to line them up perfectly gets old really quickly.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Wow. Whoa.

What kind of desk is it.

Looks like an autonomous smartdesk. I have one. Pretty good for the money.

Moey posted:

(Monoprice has a decent priced kit)

My new office has Hon Coordinate height adjustable desks, and if I was in the market I would splurge on one of them. Quiet, fast, great height range, and it is the most stable two-legged desk I've ever used.

Course, the base starts at like $650 without a desktop, but it feels completely worth it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Meta; What was the experience of building inside it like?

Count me in among those who started looking into this.

From what I've seen, building with that case is actually really easy, since all 6 sides come off and you work with just the frame. Kinda wild.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I like the ones from Costco. My first one lasted 5 years before finally cracking.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bought the single motor desk from them. It’s been trouble free, but I wish I had gone with the double. The extra height range is worth it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

klen dool posted:

whats that oval thingy on the right of your desk?

Dyson fan.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

he means the not-tablet thing you ninny

Yep. Totally misread that post.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Made a few changes including a 3rd monitor for auxiliary stuff which involved one monitor swap and hacking together a mounting solution.

"When Mae got back to her desk, a new screen, her fifth, had been set up just to the right of her newbie-question screen. She had a few minutes before one o’clock, so she tested the system. The first bell rang, and she nodded. A woman’s voice, sounding like a newscaster’s, asked her, 'For vacations, are you inclined toward one of relaxation, like a beach or luxury hotel, or are you inclined toward adventure, like a white-water rafting trip?'"

It’s a crap book, but it’s all I can think of whenever I see this office

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

if your monitors aren’t curved, they aren’t big enough :cool:

I get why people like curved monitors, but after trying a curved ultra wide for two weeks, I went back to two separate flat panels.

The curved screen looked great if I was in the perfect spot, but outside of that, the image always felt distorted to me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That’s true, and the LG I tried had an 1800 mm curvature, which is a pretty hefty curve. A less curved screen may have been better, but 2 standard screens ultimately works better for me.

I did also try a non-curved 34” ultra wide, and that was even worse. The viewing angle for the screen edges was just enough to start to get visual degradation.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

With hardwood floors, wood paneling, and sparse furnishings, that room probably has a pretty nasty echo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zarin posted:

I have 7 of these in my house now:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...5070409835&th=1

Most are 5+ years old; ended up getting another just this week.

Amusingly, the newest one of the above I purchased has "Patents Ergotron.com/patents" stamped into the back of the VESA plate; the older ones didn't have that :v: iirc there was some drama at one point that these things were just rebadged Ergotrons or something.

I have 2 of those and an Ergotron LX arm. The only difference I can find is that the Ergotron arm has a nicer finish on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I bought another screen...

The Circle was a terrible book and an even worse movie, but every time you add a screen I’m reminded of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zarin posted:

That being said, I am 99% certain that the Amazon Basics monitor arms are just rebadged Ergotrons (iirc the most recent one I bought had Ergotron stamped right on it) and they've been fine.

I have an Amazon basics arm for my desk, but bought an Ergotron for my wife. The only apparent difference I could find was that some parts of the Ergotron arm had a nicer finish.