Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Home

Away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Golbez posted:

Sup Hong Kong multi-monitor background buddy. That exact picture lends itself very well to very wide setups. It's pretty. (Can tell even exactly which one, due to the ICC still being under construction in it)

I have a general question that your pic reminded me of: Are keyboard trays really that useful? I have one on my desk and I never use it, it feels too low. Am I doing it wrong, or is it just a matter of taste?

I'm normally with you, but I went full neckbeard with that build, so I had maybe an inch of "too low" feeling, and the recliner fit it perfectly, so I could literally play like this:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

caberham posted:

Awesome multi monitor stand and cable management. Wall paper is nice, but I got the real deal :smug:

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

I feel unless you're working in an administrative or legal department, you shouldn't have your portrait in portrait mode.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

It's a nice set up, but why the processor box on the desk?

I was kinda forced to spend an extra $500 on the processor, when you couldn't GET a 3930K (Newegg accidentally sold one to me they never had and renegged) and only one other processor fit the build...

I'll be damned if I'm not gonna show off my $1000 processor box. It also holds SD cards, thumbdrives and random cables.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

caberham posted:

Awesome multi monitor stand and cable management. Wall paper is nice, but I got the real deal :smug:

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Sorry for the late quote, but I noticed you were mentioning the monitor stand; most are really expensive -- the one I have here is not.

http://amzn.com/B006FZY2XK

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

z06ck posted:

New additions to the desk:

(HE-400 and Modi/Magni)

Your desktop looks like schiit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I should get a Bifrost to match my Asgard, but I'm lazy and don't have golden ears to hear the difference between my soundcard's DAC and any external one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elderbean posted:

Any table recommendations? I need something affordable and not horrible looking that can be easily mounted.

If you're handy and have a workspace, router, sander, and saws, I'd say build it yourself. If not, I suggest the Ikea Vika system for something relatively low price that you can kit out to your liking.

Alternatively, the Gerton/Vika Byske is made to be wall-mounted, and includes the bracket. Bonus: actual wood (not necessarily a guarantee of all Vika products).

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 25, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

My computer space comes with its own headphone holder. I believe its commonly referred to as a 'desk'. I cannot for the life of me imagine why people do anything else.

Because sometimes you have a drink or something on your desk and OH poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have no qualms with your desktop, I just was reminded by your monitors/speakers:

I hate the loving trend of blue LED's loving everywhere in electronics. What was wrong with red, amber, green, or white? Those blue LED's are never below eye-searing brightness. Why did that become a thing?

It really hurts my eyes, every time I see them. I always end up nail polishing over them.

:qqsay: Is anyone else is annoyed by it ?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Not much beats being able to seamlessly transition to kicking up your feet to watch something long in relative comfort.

I really missed my footstool in Afghanistan on my shift, which mostly consisted of watching movies on the PC. Office chairs generally kinda blow for chillaxing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

PYF pic of JJ Abrams' home editing bay

I don't have that one, but I do have Hans Zimmer...

:iia:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wasp_f15ing posted:

I got the cherry mx Browns, as I heard they were best for gaming and weren't very noisy.

After spending some time with it. I would like something stiffer that is harder to press, do any of use stiff Cherry MX switches, of is which ones would you go for?

Blacks are what you're describing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the bump when typing. Topre supremacy.

Ftfy

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chizad posted:

Turnstone Bivi?

From my post in the other desk thread:

The cable trough has all kinds of room to keep cables out of sight. Mines a bit of a mess right now (need to clear off the desktop and redo the cabling after some recent hardware shuffling), but if you want I can post some pics once I've tidied things up to give you a better idea what it looks like with a full desktop setup.

If you're going for the $600 desk game:

PostureDesks Elite V1 Height Adjustable Desk - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RVRA4M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_bZ5Ysb1767VQT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MMD3 posted:

This would definitely work for cleanliness and cord management but the room isn't all that large and I'm concerned that this desk wouldn't make a lot of sense pushed against a wall since the legs are slanted. Would love to see photos of yours though, it's certainly one of the best examples of a well designed pc desk that I've seen.

yeah, exactly, It looks highly functional but the goal here is form needs to take a slightly higher priority than function. I'm only going to be able to justify getting a fancy new desk if it looks minimal & clean.

Whoops wrong desk in my wishlist.

MultiTable ModTable Adjustable Height Standing Desk with Manual Base, White by MultiTable.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MR87PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_vCeZsb09ABJ2E

You can spend some cash on a nice piece of counter top and add a piece of fancy rain gutter to the back for cable management. Or of you feel especially handy, route a slot across the counter top and put the cables through that, using hooks underneath to route them.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MMD3 posted:

While I appreciate the idea, and I'd love to have an excuse to go buy a giant slab of black walnut... height adjustability is not at all a requirement, so it seems silly to pay a premium for something that doesn't give me a cleanlier desk and provides a function I don't really need. I've got an aeron chair that could never raise that high so I'd have to go buy a new office chair in addition to everything else.

I remember thinking the StudioDesk was pretty cool and neat, but nothing is going to replace creating your own cable management solution. Find some long cables, put them in a spiral bundle, and connect them.

One thing that helps is using power and USB 3.0 hubs hidden under or inside the desk; that way, you're able to have only one USB and power cord up to the desk, which is easier to hide in your umbilical.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hotsauce posted:

Is this as dumb as it looks?

http://amzn.com/B002IYRBI0

If you have to ask...

I don't get people who want treadmill desks. Yes, it is healthier but it loving KILLS productivity because you can't make the same fine motor movements as you can sitting on your rear end or even standing still; I guess you can look great as you finish the day with arm and eye strain because you've spent the whole day fighting the bobbing of your body.

I tried one of these for a week and found myself just stiff as a board in the shoulders after two days.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheJeffers posted:

Living like poo poo.

I really need that Gesture in my life.

Duck and Cover posted:

I'll be impressed if you get a desk made of wood for that price.

Not all carpenters are expensive.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Quote isn't edit

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

That is one drat fine hunk of wood.

Seconding. You guys have some tasteful desks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Unormal posted:

Got an oil reproduction for my desk area.

And yet, not a single track to put those hideous cables in. (I'm kidding, nice painting though)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

angus725 posted:

It mostly depends on what output your laptop has. With HDMI, you run a risk that the graphics card on your laptop might not have HDMI 1.3/4 compatibility. (Which limits you to 2560x1440@55Hz, and quite an annoyance to get setup via Intel's graphics driver).

I doubt you're gaming, but gaming on 2560x1440 on a laptop GPU results in a fair amount of turning down graphic details. (GTX670M)

It also seems to me that my laptop runs a little slower when running both the external 2560x1440 and it's own 1920x1080 screens with visual studio and various other programs. However it's not noticeable unless you're purposefully looking for it.

Since I have both HDMI and a VGA out, I should probably have considered 2x 1920x1080/1200 over a single 2560x1440 for productivity purposes.

I run my 2560x1080 display over HDMI and it runs just fine; I have an AMD R9 290 OC'd to 1080MHz on my desktop though :smug:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tom Foolery posted:

That pretty much stuck in my head as if it were burned into my brain. How can I resist now.

Don't get the Seiki T.V.for a monitor. It's got a really low refresh rate and the colors are pretty bad.

Dell is going to have some affordable 4k monitors this year supposedly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sickxoxo posted:

I was wondering the same thing. The layout looks a bit like the CM Quickfire, but more cool.

It's a Leopold FC660C that I put my spare Realforce 86UB keycaps on.

Full gallery here.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

QPZIL posted:

Sigh, not what I was hoping it'd be. A long time ago I found a website where you could custom build a keyboard and pick colors, mechanics, etc.

I was hoping that's what it was!

You could always look up the mechanical FC660M and buy your own keycaps from ebay.

Edit: I've used this vendor a couple times and cannot complain.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tedronai66 posted:

Man, if only they were easily adjustable on the fly. One of those would be awesome in my office.

This + This = That.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ShaneB posted:

Wireless is still so god drat annoying and unreliable compared to wired drops. Unless you are talking about something else?

Putting a wireless router on both ends of your house would cost less than drops. Properly configuring your access points would cost less than drops. Ethernet over power would cost less than drops.

Wireless is annoying if you don't take the time to learn about the tech. It's actually really robust when set up right. I get why you'd say that you want cat 5 in every room but most people don't actually need it, they just have shittily set up routers making them hate Wi-Fi.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe I'm overestimating the cost of ethernet drops, but I always rented, so I don't have a clear indication of costs.

I just know the quotes I got for running AV lines were like, $400+ here in Las Vegas.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Are your studio monitors upside down? How does that even sound, with the main coil so far above your head?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

durk onion posted:

I'd like to use my work and personal computers with the same set of monitors/keyboard/mouse. A KVM would be perfect but I can't seem to find any that support dual monitors. Should I just buy two KVM switches?

They cost, but they exist :shepspends:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CubanMissile posted:

What companies did you get quotes from? I live in Las Vegas and paying $400 doesn't seem obscene to me.

The only one that sounds familiar is The Network Cabling Directory. It was nearly two years ago, though.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 19, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

durk onion posted:

Dear lord.

Does VPN qualify as not being on the same network? The work computer will still go through my router at home. I don't really see a software solution working though since I'd like to use both monitors for work and then both for my personal computer like the officer said. I've used Synergy before but each monitor was dedicated to a certain computer. My monitors only have one input so I can't have both machines plugged into the same monitor at once.

Some of the DVI single link multi-monitor KVM's on that page weren't too expensive; unless you're doing high refresh or have 1440p monitors, I don't see them preventing you from doing what you describe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chrome taco posted:

Old tank of a desk with a Akasa Euler and a Dell U2913WM. Love it!

I'm looking forward so hard to the 34" 21:9 from Dell whenever they release it... I like my EA294WMi but I would like more pixels at times.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Duck and Cover posted:

I got wedges I got a new chair time for a post.

i'm the power supply

fake edit: i thought this was the YOSPOS thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

titaniumone posted:

Also, where do you get them from? I have similarly sized speakers and they'd benefit from them.

Amazon has them

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I prefer putting sorbothane pads under my monitors so poo poo doesn't rattle on my desk even up to 11 when I'm bumping music, which is all I use them for.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Just got some bike hooks for $0.78 to hang the cables from.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Moey posted:

Awesome keyboard!

Are the hooks not installed yet? Looks like that ottoman/storage unit is the current cable rest.

Not yet. I took the pic yesterday, and got the hooks today after I realized how poo poo it was.

Total cost of this desk so far is ~$265.

http://amzn.com/B007DOSIBY + http://amzn.com/B00COMYW7E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like your speakers (I'm assuming they're self-powered monitors?). What are they?

Mackie MR5mk2's. I got them at a sale from Guitar Center for like $125 a piece.

They're being controlled by Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 19, 2014