Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Already posted once before, but now it's the other way! Go me!

And yes, the Vika Ikea tabletops do suck. Two thin pieces of wood with honeycomb cardboard in between. Tapping on the desk makes the whole thing echo. And it wobbles. When I'm rich I'll buy a desk made of solid particleboard.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I have a...peripheral problem.

(not pictured: 2 IBM model Ms, fully restored)

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Synergy is great! But these days I only use one computer. Currently my desk has 2 keyboards on it; USB apple keyboard for the iMac, and a bluetooth keyboard for the iPhone.

It was only when I uncovered these excess keyboards that I decided to take a photo. For archival purposes only.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dominoes posted:

What do you use the keyboard for on the phone?

I'd consider getting Google Voice, and trying a setup where you use your computer while at home, and phone while away from home.

No google voice here unfortunately :(

I just use it for typing iMessages to people, and sometimes for taking notes. Typing using the on-screen keyboard can get annoying.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Severed posted:

I actually went out to a hardware store and took a look at doors that are manufactured the same way (hollow with a paper core) and they seemed sturdy enough, so I placed an order for the birch version of the desk. I hope it doesn't get mangled during shipment.

Yes, they are sturdy enough for general use. My biggest gripe with them is they sound hollow; typing on a keyboard is a lot louder than it is with a solid desk - same for putting anything down on it, hitting it etc. And it's lovely veneer, but I guess all desks these days are like that.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Wait what, there was a Penny Arcade app that put an icon in your tray? What on earth for?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tried to make things a bit nicer now that I have to work from home. Really need to tidy up some of those cables.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Why is the cat behind the screen and not in front?

He becomes too annoying in front, constantly kneading his bed so that it interferes with my mouse. He also enjoys looking out the window unobstructed :3:

And of course he still gets constant pats throughout the day so don't feel too bad for him

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

Looks great, I like all your plant friends.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd never have a computer screen in front of a window like that. The light shining at you from behind the screen would be super annoying and I'd always be worried about rain potentially getting in and destroying the electronics if I forgot to close the window before leaving the house. Plus it would be difficult to access the window so you'd end up just keeping it permanently shut.

You should try it, its refreshing to have a nice view rather than a blank wall. Matching the brightness of the screen to the outside light helps, and sheer curtains can cut down on glare if its too bright.

Also setting the desk back from the wall gives you room to get in there to open/close the windows and also negates the rain issue.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yawn. Lmk when I can do 6.6.6

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Got a few bits and pieces to tidy up my dock. I still want to make a new desktop that’s more shallow, this one is way too deep for what I need.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

What is the keyboard? Looks like the Spacesaver clone of an IBM Model M

That’s my GFs Topre realforce 10keyless. My model Ms stay in the cupboard cause they’re too loud for me these days

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is there a decent way to do an articulating keyboard tray with a standing desk? All the options I see appear to be incompatible with the standing desk mechanism in the center.

Not sure what you mean by articulating but my desk has a bar on the underside going all the way across. I just used some wood to get the keyboard tray rails to clear it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

does that speaker sound awful sitting on that metal filing cabinet?

Nah, it’s very heavy laminated particle board from an old office. I have recently put some books under it to make it the same height as the other speaker

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The oil’s really only going to prevent water damage. The butcher block will be pretty stable and is unlikely to move significantly. Just don’t get it wet.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

beuges posted:

I love mine but really wish they made a Bluetooth version.

There is a bt one but it has the numpad attached which is no good for me.

They’re cheap enough that I keep a stash on-hand in case they ever discontinue it.

I do wish they made a wired one though, would be a lot simpler than this dongle nonsense

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

New speakers arrived! Pretty happy with how everything is set up now. Would love to replace the hot loud laptop with an M1 mini.

Going to replace the table top with a laminated soild wood top. Just need to get round to putting it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dema posted:

List of all the audio stuff, please.

Speakers: Ascension Firesprite 602PQ
The speakers are made by a couple of guys in Adelaide. They've been doing it for ~10 years, maybe more. Fantastic sound quality for the price, and it's nice to be able to get something made locally. They are also happy to do custom builds. If you're in Australia, highly recommended.

Receiver: Denon RCD-M41DAB
I wanted a little mini receiver with DAB + CD that didn't look hideous or come with crap speakers. Yamaha have some nice retro-looking models but they're sold out everywhere, so this was the runner-up. Works really well. My only complaint is the CD transport is a bit noisy.

Audio interface: Steinberg UR12
Mostly for phantom power for my cheap eBay mic, but it doesn't hurt that the output DAC and headphone amp is decent.

Inner Light posted:

Looks good. You mean laminate or solid wood top, which one? :shobon:

Thanks! Sorry, bit confusing with overloaded terms. Going to be laminating some pieces together horizontally, similar to what you'd see on a cutting board:

The Lord Bude posted:

Either your speakers are too low or your screen is too high.

There's a small lounge behind my chair where I like to sit so they're in a bit of a compromised position. I also didn't want them blocking my view too much. I do at least angle them in a bit normally, I just set them straight for this photo :P