Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

that unfinished drywall and glass mannequin head are giving me weird vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How deep is your desk? I'm trying to decide if 25" versus 30" is that big of a difference...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

25", but I have it 3" from the wall for ease of installing the arms and running cables. I can't touch the back wall without leaning forward if I put my stomach against the front edge of the desk, so I'd think that 30" would be overkill. I do Lego builds (duh) and other hobby poo poo on here, and I just put the monitors all the way back, roll up the mouspads and move the keyboards, and it's plenty of space. YMMV.

gently caress yeah, thank you. I'm planning on getting a monitor mount anyway so you just saved me like $40 and having to order the butcher block instead of just being able to pick it up!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Home Depot also has reasonably priced butcher blocks, mine is sitting in my basement awaiting staining and polyurethaning currently! Was like $180 for a 75" one, iirc.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m thinking of going the home depot route and getting a butcher block. What do I realistically need to do to it to get it going? Sand? Stain? Seal? Or are they pretty much ok out of the box these days.

https://youtu.be/UICBw1OXdbI

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Home Depot sells very affordable butcher blocks if you're able to build your own! Once mine's finished it'll probably be close to 1/3 the cost of a comparable size, pre-built desk, from one of the name brands.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Been putting in a little bit of work for cable organization, feeling pretty good about my desk.

Old photo pre cable organization, I got a second monitor :science:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Been putting in a little bit of work for cable organization, feeling pretty good about my desk.

Old photo pre cable organization, I got a second monitor :science:

More better cable management! This is why the desk in standing position, so the tube just extends and slumps depending on the height of the desk.

Next up will be setting the cable runners so my synth setup can be organized :yum:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I just keep a white background and arrange my icons by penis.

Oh word? How's that uh, organization strategy working out?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Sorry, it reminded me of a classic IT video "The Website is Down" where a sales dude has his desktop icons arranged by penis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

lol I hadn't seen this

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cable runners are an option too, I'm probably gonna set up the pair that I got awhile ago soon so I can have organized synthesizer cables at my desk :catdrugs:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Withnail posted:

Anyway I upgraded to 2 x 32" monitors on my homemade frankendesk and I'm not sure I like it. Can't figure out where to center.

Yeah I've had my two 27" monitors for a handful of months now and I still adjust and readjust them on a weekly basis almost, lol. Sweet fuckin desk.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That looks like a sewing table almost. I used one as a desk when I lived in Boston and it was loving awful

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

make these boys start furiously jacking their desks

Hm.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wolrah posted:

it's really nice to just tap a button and have it end up in the right place.

Yeah it really is. Plus I can push a button while one of my cats is on the desk and they act really cute while it's moving :3:

If anybody is looking at buying one I'd def recommend looking into making one yourself. Super easy, you only need a drill and a measuring tape, and it'll generally save you a few bills.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sarcastx posted:

I have three cats and not a one of them has taken advantage :(

OTOH they may all be too heavy - they're Maine Coons and the lightest one is 16lb
e: Mr. Khan

More Mr. Khan photos NOW

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have a 72" butcher block I converted to a standing desk, it's loving awesome. I don't mind it being 25" deep either, although I do use vesa arm mounts for my two monitors so that def saves space

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

80x30 Uplift desk here. No ragrets.

drat, that's a sweet setup. Really digging that orange colour, might have to think about doing my office in a similar fashion...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Coming close to nirvana for getting a really good live sports betting set up and also serves to split down the middle during the work week. Thinking next steps are to get another husky desk to form an L on my right and probably put a tv on the wall above the UW.

Needs a little wire management too.

I have a problem.

Are those like fuckin TVs you have to facilitate sports betting

Cause jfc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

Not pictured: I picked up an MX Master 3S to replace the Magic Mouse.

Where's a good place to look for sweet, huge mousepads like that? I should replace mine

Fake edit: here's my doofy orange girl learning with me during a presentation

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

I got this one from Omnitype. Their mats are great, and their prices aren't bad either:
https://omnitype.com/products/dmg-console-deskpad

Also, your cat is super cute! I love her color! :D

Excellent, thanks for the link!

And Pia is very cute... the problem is she knows it and uses it very much to her advantage!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bredfrown posted:

I got this one from Omnitype. Their mats are great, and their prices aren't bad either:
https://omnitype.com/products/dmg-console-deskpad

Also, your cat is super cute! I love her color! :D

I bought a cool floral print deskpad from this place, just wanted to thank you again for the rec!

Here's a photo of my other furbutt, Butter, who will be grumpy about the deskpad cause I will not let her or her sister Pia walk all over it with their huntress claws

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ziasquinn posted:

Before I log onto my work computer I switch my USB switcher/hub, then hotkey to deactivate the bottom three monitors; which the mac connects to automatically; then I use Synergy to share the mouse/kb from the main PC; which passes the m/kb over the borders just like a normal multi monitor set up.

This is loving magic

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That screen above the stove has gotta be so gross, why would you do that

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It's perfectly clean, in fact,

oh yeah, totally

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Clean freak, 5 HEPA filters, use a MERV 13 air filter, run the dishwasher daily, sink disinfected, Roomba mops the kitchen every day, vacuums the entire house and mops the floor twice, three times a week, pest control quarterly on the dot, even the cat box is in closet with a sealing cat door.

If that TV was dirty, the contractor would be here tomorrow to install it into the cabinets.

yeah that TV is still gross, sorry to break it to you OP

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a monitor inside the stove yet or is the grease splash monitor still lonely

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a go to goon approved standing desk or it basically just pick whatever uplift-fully-autonomous,amazonbasics, etc. whatever desk and call it good?

If you are slightly handy you can build your own, that's my rec!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm redoing my cable organization right now and lmfao at paying $140 to do it

Your can buy those exact things for like $5 from cramazon, I'm about to install 2

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gotta have the bow within arms reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ducky keyboard? Good poo poo :hmmyes: