Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lawnie posted:

Has anyone else with the Husky adjustable desk affixed anything custom to the bottom of the tabletop? I want to make a rack to hang my tower from, but I’m not sure how to go about it exactly.

I'm not sure what kind of tools you have access to, or what kind of case you have, but if I were to decide I wanted to go hard on affixing my computer underneath my desk, I would probably consider:
* drilling 2-4 holes in the top of the case (with no components inside, obv)
* long bolts, bolt head inside case (upside down)
* very large, wide surface-area washers inside the case against the bolthead
* lockwasher outside the case
* nut outside the case (to keep the bolt affixed to the case, for installing)
* drill a hole pattern through the desk
* large fender washer above the desktop
* lockwasher above the fender washer
* nut

Could get away with locknuts instead of lockwashers.

The downside to this approach is that you will have those nuts/bolts sticking above the desk a little. You may hate that aesthetic, or need the entire desktop smooth for other reasons. Also not all cases would work for this; obviously anything with a top fan would be right out.

While I'm sure it would be safe to find some sort of cage/rack and just screw it to the underside of the desk, I like doing dumb things I guess :v:

Edit: Oh, you said you'd want to make a rack. Hmm, I'm not sure how I would go about making one per se - I feel like everything I ever make out of wood looks janky, so I'd probably go industrial and look at either making it out of pipe/fittings, or threaded rod and flatstock.

I wonder if there are pre-made cages you could buy and just affix to the bottom of the desk.

I'd think no matter what it was, I'd want it to be very open for airflow reasons.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

muskrat posted:

Looks great. What lighting is this?

I'm not the OP, but probably something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Nex...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I ended up putting some under one of my desks, so it isn't so drat dark in here at night, and it's been pretty nice. Tempted to get some pure-white ones and put them in the kitchen, under the overhead cabinets for better countertop lighting.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I sat in a Steelcase 454 at the machine shop I worked at, and it was fantastic. I liked it more than most of the "new" office chairs we were getting.

Looks like they can be had for $50 or so:
https://www.choiceofficefurniture.net/vintage-steelcase-454-312-office-chairs

Apparently more than 3,000,000 of 'em were made from 1977 - 2000, and they seemed practically indestructible. You might be able to find some locally even.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

KingKapalone posted:

Any desk buying tips? Should I just be browsing r/battlestations and looking for ones I like? I would like a longer one.

Depends on budget and what features you want, I suppose. How long is "long"? I have a 6'x3' electric sit/stand from OfficeDepot (Magellan brand, iirc) that was about $400. I think if you're willing to perform some DIY that you can get hand-crank sit/stand for less than half that, though.

Edit: For the discerning Goon on a Budget (TM) that doesn't care about aesthetics, a folding Lifetime table from Costco or something would probably work pretty well too. Although, I think the plastic might warp over time from heavy things sitting on it for too long. Could always put a sheet of plywood or something over the top to distribute weight if you were having issues with it sagging, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hughmoris posted:

What do you people use to protect your carpet from your rolling computer chairs?

I'm moving in to a rental next week, it has newer carpet and I want to try and protect it as much as I can over the next year.

I have trash disposable carpet under my chair so I'm just letting whatever happens, happen :v:

Obviously, I am not the intended recipient of your question

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

100% Dundee posted:

On a similar subject to the current conversations about chair pads/wheels/etc, do you guys have any recommendations for regular casters/feet to replace wheels on a chair? Are they like standard sizes or something? I never move my computer chair so the wheels are actually a drawback to me and I wouldn't mind lowering the chair an inch or two by removing the wheels.

I don't know what chair you have, but the wheels are on small posts that just fit up into the ends of the "star".

Depending on how your "star" is formed, it's theoretically possible that it would sit perfectly fine on the floor if you just pulled the wheels out. If not, then I think you'd just need to find pads that have a post with the same length/diameter as the posts on the wheels you pull out.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

Those super ergonomic chairs are great if you use your computer in a traditional work like way; siting up with your feet on the floor and typing at a keyboard but they loving suck if you spend extended hours at your computer just playing video games and watching netflix. I like to sit semi reclined with my feet up on the desk or a footstool and there's no lower back support and the downward angle of the seat means your arse keeps slipping. The back reclines but the seat doesn't tip back with it.

Whattup, Gesture-hating buddy :hfive:

There are chairs out there that tilt like you're looking for; I found this video kinda helpful to narrow down the search based on the "correct" name of the tilt mechanism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapb-vUGy0c

I ended up getting a Cosm - I planned to do a minor effortpost-review on it after I've had it for a few weeks. It's not 100% perfectly what I was looking for, I don't think, but I'm pretty sure I strongly prefer it to most every other chair I've ever sat in.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I also like having a footrest/ottoman designed for a couch (maybe 18" tall or so) under my computer desk to aid me in sitting like a goofus when I want to move around a bit.

I had to modify one desk, and then after that started buying only desks that are completely open underneath just for that reason. I don't think I could ever face the wall again now; stretching my legs fully out while tasking is just too good.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

Gaming chairs do that. I was perfectly comfortable before I bought the gesture. Now my lower back gets sore because there’s nothing supporting it; and my arse gets sore because it’s taking all my weight and it keeps sliding forward when I try to lean back and put my feet up.

It doesn’t help that I have very short legs in proportion to my torso; my feet don’t reach the ground in many chairs that I sit in.

Task chairs just aren’t designed for the way I use my computer.

I’ve done some digging and it looks like companies are starting to make nicer gaming chairs with real leather upholstery now so I’m probably going to go back to buying one.

I prefer fabric, myself, and SecretLab apparently uses the "Knee Tilt" mechanism from that previous video I linked that looks comfortable as hell.

I don't know how good SecretLab chairs truly are, but I want to say that when I was looking at them, they didn't seem HORRIBLE - you could probably do worse than a $400 for a chair with a 5-year warranty. No clue how good that warranty is, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Lord Bude posted:

The Cosm is out - way too expensive for me; but I looked into Secretlab. Their chairs are typical of the price of higher end gaming chairs - starting at around 650AUD; real leather ones around 1200. I can buy a real leather thermaltake chair for around $830 - https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-real-leather-burgundy-red.html and this is what I'll most likely end up buying. It's probably not the same grade of leather - the Secretlab chair claims to be nappa leather - but at least it's real leather. Or for $570 I can buy a chair with PU leather; but which has fans built into the seat to keep my arse cool. https://www.thermaltake.com.au/x-comfort-air.html The thermaltakes look way more comfortable and I prefer to buy from a brand I've actually heard of. The 5 year warranty Secretlab offers is an extended warranty; not a base warranty but I really don't care about warranties because Australian Consumer law renders them pretty irrelevant.

Now I just have to justify the cost of a new chair to myself, although I suppose I could potentially sell my old chair to offset some of the cost. A 2 year old Gesture should still be worth something.

Oh, I guess I didn't clarify - SecretLab offers a SoftWeave fabric option now, as well. (As far as I know, they're the only gaming chair that does). I don't know how they are to sit in, though, so don't take this as a recommendation or anything.

Yeah, I'd fully expect that a gently-used Gesture should be able to fetch enough to possibly pay for a new gaming chair altogether, or at least close to it! I have no idea how hard trying to sell something like that actually IS, or how long it would take, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

Looks pretty, but I'm real sensitive to screen glare

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Humerus posted:

I'm thinking of doing this (I already have one Alex) but what do you use to keep the top in place? I know Ikea has those little rubber nubs but is that it? Does the weight keep it from moving around?

I use this sort of stuff (not necessarily the brand, I get the no-name stuff at Walmart or whatever) to keep my mousepad in place:
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip...la-795164640411

I have to imagine that if it can keep my mousepad in place with almost zero vertical force pushing down on it, it'd work just fine to keep the desktop from moving around.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, but I'm not doing any indoor shopping these days, especially second-hand. I wish I could! Stuck with online or contact free stuff (I'm watching my local Buy Nothing group closely).

Do you have access to a place to fab some stuff together? I ended up replacing a section of my desk with something I fabbed together out of 2x4. I just needed access to a mitre saw and a drill.

Dunno if you have any friends that would let you use their garage for a couple hours but that's another potential option.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Syves posted:

I'm finally building my dream desk. 72"x36" birch countertop from Menards, on legs from Uplift Desk. Stuff to color and prepare the countertop comes in this week, so looking to my next phase of construction: monitor arms.

Anyone have a monitor arm they are impressed with? Most work resources are pointing me to Ergotron, but they spendy. The Amazon Basics arms apparently are made by Ergotron, and cheaper somehow. But I still have 4 monitors (all side by side) I would like to eventually get mounted. Looking at just single arms, so I can keep the desk closer to the back wall. Sounds like Dual arms have issues with getting flush against the back wall. Office space is half a spare bedroom with a bed already in it. So every inch is gold. Why I went with a 36" wide desk, reaching for the stars I guess... But I do want to be able to shift the screens around as I change from standing to sitting and moving office stuff around.

I'm using 6x Amazon Basics arms throughout the house (my computer, SO's computer, WFH setup) and they've been nothing but great. I opted for all single arms because it gives me the most flexibility in positioning, where I want to use them, and I don't run into issues with my ultrawide screen leaving no room for the other monitor, etc.

In fact, I just moved my side monitor arm to clamp on the side of the desk, rather than the back; it opened up the back corner of the desk for other stuff.

So, yeah, +1 for Amazon Basics single-monitor arms. I think I paid about $99 each for them 3-4 years ago, if memory serves.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

diremonk posted:

Any recommendations for a standing desk converter that can handle a triple monitor setup?

The total weight of the monitors plus mount is just under 50 or so pounds but it seems like most of converters are designed for a laptop and maybe a monitor so I don't know if they'd be able to handle that kind of weight. While I could just but some new wall mounts, I'd rather not do that until I know that I'm going to use this for a while.

Does it need to be a converter? I feel like an Ergotron desktop riser costs more than an actual sit-stand desk these days.

My sit/stand desk was like $400 from Office Depot, and there are certainly alternatives out there that can get that done for half that or less, I think.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm using a pair of Magellan sit/stand desks (electric drive) from OfficeMax/OfficeDepot and they loving own.

They're about 6' wide and 3' deep; the package was heavy as gently caress, but a single UPS dude (who presumably must be swole af) delivered it, and I was able to gently manhandle it down the stairs. The packaging and assembly instructions were - no joke - the most beautiful things I had ever seen in my entire life. Like, the ex-manufacturing engineer in me wept. Each step of the assembly had its own bubble-wrapped hardware and assembly tools (unless it was using an assembly tool from a previous step) and the instruction book was practically idiot-proof. Just completely amazing work.

Both of them went together without issue and have done a fine job so far. I've had one for maybe 3 years now, and the other for almost a year.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

foutre posted:

Thanks to bad self control and a my WFH stipend I need to find a way to mount two ultrawides above one another; the bottom one is 49" (36 lbs), and the top is 35" (12 lbs). It looks like there's basically just one or two ergotron arms that work for the bottom one, so I've got that. Where I'm having more trouble is finding one that works for the top - if possible I'd rather have one that clamps or bolts to the desk, rather than mounting to the wall, since I have a sit/stand desk. Does anyone have suggestions for arms/mounts that work for this?

That's a big lower monitor. Nice! (What's the resolution on it?)

I suppose my first question is, "what is your level of handiness?" My immediate thought - because I am a huge dumb, but with power tools - would be to take a hunk of 4"x4" and make 2x 6" or 8" uprights out of it and firmly bolt those to the desk, spanning over the back of the lower-level single monitor arm. Then screw a 2"x4" or nice-looking sturdy 1"x4" across those uprights, to give you a location to clamp a bog-standard Amazon Basics single-montor arm to, which would function as your upper arm.

Then again, part of the reason I'm thinking that is because I have a couple single-arm Amazon Basics arms lying around so they are effectively free to me.

I'm sure someone will have a better idea, because again, I'm real dumb.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

foutre posted:

It's uh 5000ish by 1440, it's wild - once I get everything set up I feel like I've gotta try Microsoft flight stimulator or something.

Honestly I'm also dumb with some basic power tools, but a fairly low level of handiness. I have built a desk before, which has held together but is also pretty janky. I don't know if this is legit at all, but can you kind of compensate for lack of diy ability by just adding a whole bunch more screws/wood?

That's definitely an appealing idea, just don't want to gently caress it up ofc.

I think, yes . . . to a degree, anyway! It's worked quite well for my dad so far, at any rate!

If it were my project, the big concern for me would be the desk:4"x4" interface. I'd probably consider trying to use a bar clamp to hold each 4x4 to the desired location on the desk, then pilot drilling holes for 2x comically large lag bolts per upright. I'd probably also toss some (fender, if I could find 'em) washers between the bolt heads and the desk, for increased surface area.

Fake edit: Now that I think about it, having some "feet" that were a separate piece of wood that could just be through-bolted with hex bolts/nuts to the desk would probably be even sturdier yet. Think two shorter pieces that come from the same stock as the upper crossbar. (Still a big fan of fender washers over here, though)

For the top crossbar, 3-4 beefy deck screws (again, pilot drilled) going down through the board into the uprights would probably be more than enough. If you have some wood glue lying around and are also my dad, throw some of that in for a good measure.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

I asked in the chairs thread but it's definitely more appropriate here; what online retailers are out there that sell mid-to-high end computer desks? I'm looking for a nice L-Shaped desk that is equal length on both sides to replace my current one but it's tough finding one that fits the bill, but I also don't really know where to look beyond like amazon, wayfair, etc. so I don't know what's out there. There's some that come close on Amazon but those all look like they're such poo poo quality and replacing this desk is going to be an undertaking so I'd rather make a well informed purchase before starting the process.

I'm curious what "mid-to-high-end" means - are you talking about build quality? finish? utility? etc.

Since you said L Desk, I figured I'd throw out that I have a pair of these arranged in an L configuration:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...1OgMy:17h4h7aom

I've had one of them for 5+ years now, and the second was purchased in March 2020. Both have survived one move with zero issues.

They don't look fancy, but they're pretty sturdy and height adjustable; if my employer gave me the choice between this setup and a perfect replica of the Resolute Desk carved out of a single piece of mahogany, I'd take my desks in a heartbeat even though the other option is clearly a much finer piece of furniture. But! Everyone's tastes are different and/or want desks for different things, so that's just my opinion. Just trying to figure out what aspects you value the most.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, does anyone have a recommendation for VESA arms and mounts? My desk is only about 3 - 3.5' wide so I don't have enough room for two monitors, which would be really nice given I work from home. I'm thinking that if I had VESA arms I could position the monitors in a way that fits a bit better. Drilling into the desk is an option if need be, but there's a window behind my desk so wall mount won't work.

I have 7 of these in my house now:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...5070409835&th=1

Most are 5+ years old; ended up getting another just this week.

devmd01 posted:

They’re pricey but Ergotron arms are very nice. Bought mine as a direct bolt-through for the custom desk we bought over nine years ago, they haven’t dropped a mm.

Amusingly, the newest one of the above I purchased has "Patents Ergotron.com/patents" stamped into the back of the VESA plate; the older ones didn't have that :v: iirc there was some drama at one point that these things were just rebadged Ergotrons or something.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
. . . and here I was impressed with my setup.

What a fool I was.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oxyclean posted:

Looking for some feedback / ideas for cable management on a sit-stand setup.

The problem: I'm having some issues with cords snagging on the back of the PC when swapping from sit-to-stand, and just general annoyances with cord slack/pull when swapping heights.

I considered putting the PC on the desk, but that sort of just changes what cords are going to be a problem since I have a bit of an awkward setup where my switch connects to one of my monitors + the line-in of the PC. Putting the switch on the desk doesn't help cause it connects to the TV/router.

Is there some kind of hub that I could use as an intermediary? that way the cord length from the hub to my peripherals is consistent? I have a powered USB hub that sort of helps with USB stuff, but I'm worried it's a little dodgy - one time when I plugged in my switch pro controller into it, I think a bunch of my usb device drivers crashed or something and my USB mic stopped working till I plugged it directly into my PC.

Maybe I'm overthinking things and I just need some good cable ties and somewhere to anchor the cords so they don't get caught on the back of the pc? Just feels like that might be tricky with how spaced out the cords are on the back panel and how close the desk is at the low setting.

There's also the matter of trying to make it nice and clean so I don't have cord spaghetti everywhere, but that feels tough when you do need slack in places.

Also, is there a such thing as a mat that doubles both as a chair mat and anti-fatigue standing mat? I cant imagine something like that would last very long/work very well? The carpet under my desk is kind of already a bit hosed up from when I wasn't using a chair mat, but the chair mat doesn't feel very comfortable to stand on for long.

e: one more - Right now I've shoved my mic (yeti snowball) behind my monitors - it's not ideal - I'm not exactly recording podcasts or streaming so it's not the end of the world, but is there an arm or similar that could get it in a better position without placing it in the way of my monitors? Would positioning it above my monitors but pointing at me with an arm be worthwhile? I saw some mention of low profile mic arms, but I don't think that'd work with this mic since the mic itself is way too big.

For the cables: I'd say just try and anchor them to a point on the desk with something (zip tie squares, whatever) and leave enough slack on the back-end that they have enough room to move up and down. I think you have the right of it that it doesn't matter where the CPU is, it just determines which cables need to be sit/stand managed.

There are definitely mic arms out there and I think there were some good recommendations a page or two back for some low-profile mic arms. It's definitely a thing, although I am terminally Wireless Headset Crew so I can't help there.

As for mats, I have a pretty beefy mat that picks up easily and leans against the wall; when I move to Stand Mode I just shove the chair to the side and toss this loving thing on the floor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3TO9EK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I mean it's definitely way better standing on it WITHOUT shoes so whoever took pictures for Amazon here was an animal but yeah. It is rigid enough to stand by itself so there isn't really a need for the chair to be able to exist on it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

It's a mess. But then it always is.

Good headset though!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Can't really help, as I don't make enough money to purchase products from companies with "Human" in the name :v:

That being said, I am 99% certain that the Amazon Basics monitor arms are just rebadged Ergotrons (iirc the most recent one I bought had Ergotron stamped right on it) and they've been fine.

IMO, don't even bother loving with dual arms and just get as many single arms as you need - all the flexibility you will ever need with none of the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

runawayturtles posted:

Wait, you own a chair that's not an embody?

I suspect he has it just so that he can randomly come home from work and be like "Let's see how the other half lives, shall we?"

Then 10 minutes later he's like "this sucks, forget this" :v: