Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So I just discovered the Galant being phased out. I had planned on getting an L shaped model with extensions in the next few months to complete my home office but that doesn't seem to be possible any longer.

The thing that worries me about the Bekant is the lack of extensions. Their base L shape model looks like it will be a bit smaller that I want.

Are there any goon recommendations for a no bullshit simple L shape desk elsewhere that is a bit longer than the Bekant or should I just go ahead with getting a Bekant and throw in an extra side table or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just got incredibly lucky. A local ikea pickup and deliver service is cleaning out old models in their showroom. Got the corner Galant with all accessories (drawers, shelf, divider, rounded end pieces) for $225.

Now to just find a buyer for my old 4x4 expedit and desk attachment.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nice fax machine, grandpa

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That barrel screams "I really want this but my wife hates it and told me to make it disappear"

It's ok, I have that same problem with my homemade arcade cabinet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Those chains seem mighty inconvenient. Also, it would be hilarious if he was just using drywall anchors there. There's no way he could be that dumb right?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Edmond Dantes posted:

How are you guys handling your headphones cables? I got a hook to hang mine under my desk, but my dac (which sits on the desktop since it has the volume control) has the jack output at the front, so the cables run over the desk, and are starting to annoy me.

I keep my controller a few inches from my keyboard, I spool up the slack and velcro tied it together and keep it under one of the legs of my keyboard. it stays hidden pretty well under the keyboard and I have adequate slack for sitting in my normal position.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have an old galant that I got second hand that has the extension. Is it possible to remove the old top and replace it with something nicer? I've never dug much into this possibility but the cheap black top on it now is showing its age.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dunno...but you could probably figure that out yourself?

I guess I could have worded that a bit better to get something less snarky, but I meant more along the lines of "has this been done before because I want to know if there's any obvious pitfalls"

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Same reaction here, was excited until the link loaded. Not certain I feel like dumping about the same amount I spent on the chair on the head rest, I'd rather just keep socking away money to eventually get an embody.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is a weird question I haven't see anyone attempt to answer on the internet: I am blessed to have the classic Ikea Galant large L shape sectioned desk. I'm not a fan of the crappy plain black top on it and was curious if anyone has ever attempted to remove the top and drop one of the ikea counter tops on the frame? A couple of Karlbys on top would look pretty nice.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Industrial rack mount cases are going to be the new big thing

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I have a Secret Labs SoftWeave Titan that I just got a few weeks ago. The fabric is really nice, its comfortable as hell and seems very well put together. Its more muted than most gamer chairs, although no one will mistake it for your usual office chair.

Will it hold up over time as well as a commercial grade task chair from Steelcase or Herman Miller? Probably not, but it beats the hell out of my old Ikea Markus and if I can get 6+ years out of it I will be happy.

Can I have your wallpaper please? Thanks

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My favorite part of ikea shipping was just changing the address from my house to my parents' place 5 minutes away could be a difference of $50 and availability of product.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Smythe posted:

IKEA wants to send you through the housewares and nicknacks maze, obviously.

I would gladly do this but the closest one is 6 hours away.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for advice on buying desks or is there a dedicated thread for that somewhere?

If so, I'm looking to get a larger desk to fit a planned purchase of a second monitor. Ideally I'd want it big enough to fit both monitors (my old one though doesnt have VESA unfortunately) and the tower, what size then should I big considering?

I've just been doing the standard look through IKEA's catalogue but every larger table they have is out of stock anyway. I've heard some people building their own with countertops and IKEA legs, is that a viable option? I don't care about sit-stand or anything else, I just want a fairly cheap run of the mill gaming desk.

Karlby with some Alex drawers is the go to diy option. The problem is finding karlby in stock right now is a crap shoot.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nolgthorn posted:

I've since gotten a proper desk mat and wireless headset.

I'd be terrified of kicking right through that tempered glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

maniacripper posted:

Welp I went ahead and traded my old massive Ikea Galant for a 36x24 Jarvis sit stand.

I was going to go the ebay route but I couldn't find info on if the electronics were rated or certified or anything and I saw the Jarvis has a 5/15 year warranty for a couple hundred more. Most important going this route would mean I wouldn't have to contact a IRL human being for an actual desktop that was the right size.

It gets here Saturday and I clean out and take down my old desk and find out that even though I got 6 boxes from Jarvis, the frame box is 5 days behind so I put all my old poo poo back up because I can't go 3 hours without a PC.....

I wanted to call and scream at these people for wasting half a Sunday on something so stupid.

If anyone near Miami wants a massive Ikea Galant with T-Legs let me know before I put it on OfferUp! Available Wednesday or Thursday this coming week!

I also just sold off my OG galant (full L with all the attachments) and shifted to an Alex/Karlby setup with some extra shelving that I might post whenever I get it into an acceptable state.

It was quite a pain to find a buyer simply due to the size and I had to come down on my price a lot. Was really hoping the rarity of the desk would make it more appealing.