Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just thought I'd contribute my own desktop, seeing as I've finally just about finished setting everything up the way I want it.

I guess a little explanation of all the things might be in order: A Nokia 6300 functioning as SMS gateway, 2x Asus VW222, a set of Creative Inspire 7300, a Early-2010 model MacBook Pro, Seagate external harddrive, Wacom Volito2, and underneath the desktop in the left side is the case containing a C2D E6550 running at 2,53GHz, with 4GB of DDR2 dual-channel liner-mode memory, a nVidia GeForce GTX260, a Hauppauge HVR-1300, a Asus Xonar D2X and an Intel X-25M 80GB MLC SSD (connected to a JMicron RAID controller which ensures backup to an eSATA disc (not pictured) plus 4 2TB WDC Caviar Green 5400RPM running on the motherboards other RAID controller on the southbridge of the motherboard which is an Asus P5KC.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Where'd you get the desk? That'd be a perfect setup with some monitor arms mounted to the top section.

I know, I just have yet to find the perfect pair of monitor arms for a price I'm willing to pay.

The table is bought at a (originally) Danish company called Jysk - they do furniture and stuff for outfitting ones bedroom/workroom/house.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

That looks like every desk I've ever seen sold at Staples or Office Depot tbh.

Well, it's definitely not unique in any way - it's just a decent table that does what I need it to do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randuin posted:

They are, M-Audio BX-8's

I just sold a whole set of 2x Studiophile BX8a Deluxe, 1x M-Audio EX66 Reference Monitor and a SBX10 since I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I got them for free basically for the taking, since the radio station that used them was closing down and I'd been doing a lot of DJ work and plenty of other things (among other things, setting everything they had up when they started out). However, they're simply too big for my room/desk and the Creative Inspire T7300 that I have have good enough sound for my audiophile needs (and if not, I have my trusty HD650).

Tab8715 posted:

Don't buy the cheap monitor arms, if you want one, you're going to have to shell out for an Egotron. The rest just have too much give, at least for my 2001wfp.

I had an offer from a friend who saw this thread, he says that if I can provide him with the specs he'll build and paint a custom setup for me - so that's probably what I'm going to end up doing, since I know I can get a decent price from him (basically just materials) and I can get exactly what I want.

Martytoof posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to come across condescending.

Don't worry, didn't take it as such.

In other news, I'm in talks with a friend who's good at wood-working and such to make a new desk for me based on a design that a friend of mine has drawn out. Here's a bit of concept art:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

identikit posted:

Looks good. Although make the shelf for the monitors wider. You never know if you might upgrade to bigger side screens.

Yeah, I have considered that - but it's not yet a given that it's going to be made - however, I think with the monitor arms (I'm thinking of getting made one that can handle up to six monitors), it shouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

What is that, a 26" with two 15's?

Don't know, actually - don't think it's specced out in the drawings.