Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Nigel posted:

The Galant Ikea desks will hold 300lbs. I have one with the triangle legs (get the T-Legs, the triangle ones are hard to level) and it held my two 24" monitors, two built computers (each case weighing over 35 pounds) and me standing on it while trying to run some wire, so thats over 300lbs.

Galants are godlike, absolutely my favourite Ikea purchase. Solid and very sturdy.

I got mine with the ^ shaped legs (i.e. an A without the crossbar), rather than the T. This is so that I can drag things between the legs without picking them up (e.g. CPU, bin, foot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Home desk:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Work Desk:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Edit: didn't want to break tables...
Edit: added work desk.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 20, 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

What keyboard is that?

The home desk's keyboard in the foreground is:

http://www.steelseries.com/int/products/keyboards/7g/information

The one behind the monitor is a dell.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Dang, are these available anywhere in a US layout?

http://www.steelseries.com/
Choose North America.

I'm using the US version I believe.

Edit: Close up, this may help you:

Click here for the full 2021x691 image.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tonelok posted:

I have a Galant desk, and others in this thread have a Galant desk judging from the pictures.

I've always maintained that the T-legs are the only way to go for the Galants, but a friend is buying a used Galant that is similar to this corner setup (it's just as long):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/3876383777/in/set-72157622202428512/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/sets/72157622202428512/

Any Galant owners have any experience with an L-shaped layout with the 4-corner legs instead of the T-legs? Just seems like it would not be as sturdy.

I have the four corner legs for my galant. I posted a pic earlier in this thread.

Edit: here it is:

Steakandchips posted:

Home desk:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

It's sturdy as gently caress. Not even the slightest hint of a wobble.

The main thing I like the corner legs over the T's is that my feet won't hit the the horizontal bits of the T when I'm sitting at my desk.

I have a regular Galant though, not L shaped. Shouldn't affect it's sturdiness though.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just went to Ikea and I saw the Galant desks on display so... I took pictures:

Large black Galant!

Galants galore!

White and Veneered Galants!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

chief touching you posted:

I'm considering buying a large l-shaped Galant in the near future. Will I have to drill holes if I buy one of these? I don't own a drill, but I could probably borrow one.

You don't need to drill holes at all for any legs that come with the Galant, be they A, I or T legs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

chief touching you posted:

Nice! What about the accessories ie: cable management, etc? Does everything just connect to the metal frame underneath?

Here's a picture of the bottom of my desk.

You can attach this to it, I believe, according to the Ikea site:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50035115

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ragzilla posted:

Which is exactly why you should have power tools, so you don't have to use hand tools.

Why would I want to do it myself when I can pay Ikea to do it all; the delivery, the assembly etc, with all the power tools they have at their disposal?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nija posted:

To save money and differentiate yourself from a girl.

Bugger differentiation.

Buying a collection of power tools is way more expensive than getting Ikea to lug and create all the furniture.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ab0z posted:

What if this is in fact a girl?

Guy.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ab0z posted:

I picked up a craftsman drill for $30-$40 a while back and have used it to
hang shelves for my wife
fix or assemble furniture
drill eleventy different things while working on my car
Ikea isn't gonna do all that. Also get the whatever coated bits from harbor freight, $15 or so for a 32 piece set and I so far can't break them in situations where name brand stuff has. A drill is handy to have.

I agree that a drill might be handy to have. IF one wanted to all of these things by oneself.

• hang shelves for my wife
  • fix or assemble furniture
These two Ikea will do for me. Aside from providing the wife.

• drill eleventy different things while working on my car
A mechanic would do this. Assuming I owned a car.

I must admit though, I like the idea of owning powertools. It'd be nice to have a large saw or vertial drill... I did enjoy using those in school. Maybe I could make a table or something... Hmmmm...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bell biv devoe posted:

Has anyone ever seen this desk in person? I'm very tempted to grab it, although part of me thinks that it looks goofy. I really, really want to get rid of my glass desk. It's nowhere near is cool as I thought it was a year ago.

Click here for the full 700x700 image.

http://www.computerdeskexperts.com/...r:referralID=NA

(staples has it also, for around $260)

You will begin to:

1. Loathe those legs sticking out. They will get in the way of your chair, your feet, plus they look horrible.
2. Hate the little table on top of the desk upon which the speakers are resting. The little table's legs will impede your desire to push things around on what SHOULD be a big flat surface.
3. What the christ is the metal poo poo on the back of the desk? That'll prevent you from easily pulling cables around.
4. The CPU trolley is just so horrible. You don't need wheels on something that does not need to move. If anything, it'll move around when you try to insert a DVD.

This is a lovely piece of furniture design. You wouldn't see this in any decent office, and for good reason.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SlayVus posted:

It looks like it's meant to sit out in the open, hence the panels on the back. Which would also be why the computer trolley has wheels on it because it makes no sense to have it in the corner if the legs are going to block you from rolling it from under the desk.

I disagree. If it were meant to sit out in the open, the panels would be solid and reach to the floor. Otherwise, ladies with skirts on might risk flashing people in front.

And I still hold to my opinion that the legs and the small table on top suck.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

glompix posted:

It may be more of a matter of personal taste than I realize, but keyboard trays loving suck. If you have long legs or sit high they get in the way, and they're usually not large enough to accomodate a good keyboard and enough mouse surface.

But yeah I wouldn't buy that desk if I were you.

Agreed. I remember having one when I was a kid.

Never enough mouse or keyboard movement space on them.

Plus they make stupid noises when you get excited during a video game. And you can't rest too much weight on them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

volkadav posted:

Has anyone reading this thread owned/used an Herman-Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap/Think/Amia, Humanscale Freedom or similar, speaking of chairs? I've started working from home and while my $100 office depot special was fine for "a few hours after work, here and there", it's kinda sucking to sit in for 8+ hours a day, five days a week. Price is a concern, of course, but if I get a great chair that will last for years for my $500-900 I'd consider it money well spent. Thanks in advance!

(I should just tip over my chair in the NYC office the next time I'm on-site to see what it is, because it is pretty awesome, but ... :effort: ;))

To contribute to the desk discussion, I've got the $129 minimalist Jonas desk from Ikea and have no complaints. For the price, it's working quite nicely.

I use the Herman-Miller Aeron every day at work. The office is full of them.

It is awesome. Extremely comfortable and adjustable. It will last you a very very long time.

Kazy posted:

Got a new setup, now with less precarious balancing of a laptop and monitor on a lovely laptop cart!

Yes, I know my cables are a total mess. :argh: The TV is pretty much only for the Xbox, I have a WinTV hooked up to a splitter for my cable so I get the ClearQAM stations on my PC.

That monitor at the edge of the table on the right is just an accident waiting to happen when someone hits it when they open the door.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 10, 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Solution: a brick exoskeleton for a VOIP phone.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iRend posted:

I'll just leave this here.

Magnificent.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tonelok posted:

I like this one because you can put your computer in the corner, while still having your printer handy right next to your knee.

It doesn't take up a lot of space either. Obviously you need a free corner.

What the hell? You can't even use a proper chair with it because of that retarded white stool bolted on.

That's a lovely desk.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SRQ posted:

I really need a new desk, any suggestions?

We need specifics in order to do anything apart from ridicule you. Your question is akin to asking "I need a new car. Any suggestions?".

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pr0phecy posted:

I was in the market for a new desk and I decided to google this. Holy poo poo, this desk is 300$ to what amounts a piece of wood with 3 legs? What the gently caress.

edit: it's kinda big so I guess that may make it worth the price.

Use a crappy 50 dollar desk for a while, that continually ticks you off and lasts for 6 months, then try the Galant, which is sturdy as gently caress, durable as gently caress and feels good to boot.

It IS worth the premium.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tonelok posted:

Having done the cheap desks for years, we have two Galants and they are worth every penny.

Only get the T-legs, and as said, they are sturdy as gently caress, thanks to the solid steel frame that the wood top sits on. Plenty of cheap-rear end desks are literally the wood and then the legs. Galant has a nice steel frame that is not going to move on you.

The A legs are rock solid too. I've been using mine for 3 years now without any wobble. Plus they're cheaper.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just a picture will do, most of us can recognise paper and suchlike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

2nd monitor (U2311H) arriving soon, and it'll probably be to the left of my current U2407 (which'll probably shift over a bit to the right)!

Not sure if the size discrepancy will piss me off, if it does, guess I'll just have to buy another U2311H...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I loathe it personally, I don't like boxes; what if my tower is too large/too wide? Or if I need to gently caress around with the sides or someshit?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dissident posted:

Before the deluge..

You bought the right monitor, the right mouse, probably a decent rig... Now throw that kidneybeanplasticshit away and buy a real desk. You won't regret it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

optik posted:

Galant is great.

Dissident, get a Galant. I had one. I bought another. Now I have a megadesk and it's great.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Click here to view the full image

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

No, mousepads are an oasis from the crumb infested desert of the desk. And it is simple to decrumb a mousepad.

Having a large mousepad that stretches across the entire desk prevents the mousepad from the relative shelter from crumbs it enjoys by being away from the plate/bowl/bag placed elsewhere on the desk normally.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Those three on the bottom are U2311H's (23inches). The one on top is a Ultrasharp 2407.

If you're doing Eyefinity, ensure you get a card with 3 mini DP or 3 DP out or more (or 3 DVI out or more [none like that exist ADAIK]). Combining DP and DVI together will result in screen tearing on the non-primary output source monitor.

E.g. I have the regular Radeon 6950 with 2 DVI and 2 min DP ports. For the 3 screens on the bottom, I am using 2 DP and 1 DVI. The left most one is a DVI, and it experiences screen tearing a little due to this issue while gaming as I have DP set as the primary output in Catalyst Control Panel.

This is a known issue and there is no fix available (DP to DVI converters do not solve this issue).

TLDR: get a card with 3 DP or 3 Mini DP out at least, and 3 DP monitors.

Others experiencing the same issue and lots of details here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576329

The Direct CU II 6950 and Direct CU II 6970 by Asus, as well as all 6990's have enough DP outs to fix this, FYI.

Example:
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...productId=43806

Also, be sure all your monitors are the same brand and model, otherwise Bezel correction will not work. Also a known issue with no fix available at the moment.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 8, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like Ikea Galant's that have been daisy chained together. It is very impressive.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Most people asked ITT have stressed picking the T-Leg over the A but I don't have any good experience to give an opinion on.

I have A legs. They are great if you only get one desk. If you have more than one desk and are trying to align the desks' heights, it's twice as hard to get 8 legs all at the right height instead of 4.

I have 2 desks and I found A legs great till I had to adjust the height of them, and getting both desks to match was hard.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I don't trust wall mounts. What if I want to have 3 big gently caress off CRTs on it, as well as the occasional bit of rumpy pumpy?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Juriko posted:

Because attractive computer desks themselves are a pain. I tried a bunch of more attractive, less worksation centric desks and none of them fit the bill as well as my ikea one. I realized good functional work desks tend to not be wow inducing because you want everything about them except the surface to get out of your way. All the good ones I have used look more or less the same, some kind of simple t or L legs and a whole lot of top.

This. I've tried a whole slew of desks with shelves, monitor cubbies, keyboard trays, underslung case racks, but they all never measure up to a big slab of wood on legs. That's it. A perfect desk is a massive surface, and nothing else.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ikean delivery in the UK is incredible. They'll deliver pretty much everything to my door for less than the 15 minute cab drive to and from Ikea.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Robolizard! posted:

Even easier, I just zip tied mine to the bottom of the signum cable guide.

:buddy::hf::buddy:
Whattup ziptie buddy!

I tie mine to the metal beam underneath! Kludgy as gently caress, but it works like a charm!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Added a new desk mount for the top monitor.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Here you go:
http://www.wallpapers4desktop.net/_ph/13/410854476.jpg

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have A's, they work just fine.

T's are slightly better if you have to adjust the height of your desk often, as you have half the number of legs to adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus, did you buy the XFX triple monitor stand?