Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Slowly trying to organize and clean my desk... I feel like I'm just putting too much stuff on it though.

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

At least my desk at school isn't a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Click here for the full 1539x1155 image.

Did some cleaning over the holiday break. Moved my 2nd computer and 360 elsewhere, took out one of the monitors (left a 24" and a 19" behind, 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 resolution on both) to keep with the other computer, cleaned off the desk, and installed a blu-ray drive for fun. Also picked up a rotating stand for my gateway so I can flip it around when I want to. Finally, I also got rid of my g15 and picked up a Logitech wave to use instead. (There's still a mass of cables running around, but I'll deal with that eventually....)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

niss posted:

Is that the Cooler Master HAF, how do you like it? Ive been looking at cases for my next computer build and I'm in a toss up at the moment between the HAF and the Stacker 830. I currently have the previous model Stacker and really like it but I need to get another case for this build.

It's an Antec 900. :ssh:
I just happened to have dinked around with it a lot. (paint, toggle switches, some cable management stuff on the inside). I hate this case so much when I actually work with it, but it looks too cool for me to get rid of now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ptier posted:

Click here for the full 1026x1368 image.

I love my 900 Except when I open it up, then I want to destroy it because there's so little room inside. You should have seen it when I tried to shove 4 gpu's and 4 sata drives inside of it. It was not pretty.

Actually I'll show you anyways.

Click here for the full 1232x1642 image.

It's not quite that bad anymore (doesn't have the 2nd 4850, at least), but it's still a real pain to work with whenever I open it up, even after cutting some holes to run cables through and whatnot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

The inside of yours looks like the inside of mine. Every time I think about getting a new HDD or video card, it reminds me that I want a new case first.

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to replace it, but I've just spent too much time screwing with mine to want to get rid of it. :smith:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

zerox147o posted:

I have the same ones, they really are great and if you get them on black friday the price wasn't even bad. Should take a picture of my desk while its clean for this thread...

What kind of speakers are they?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bret Hart posted:

So, is it safe to put a 24" monitor on top of an xbox360 ?

I'm not sure I have a picture of it right now (might be one back in this thread somewhere), but I've been running a 24" Gateway on top of my 360 for over a year now. Works really well, to be honest.

E. I don't have a picture of it in this thread, but I can take one when I get home later to give you an idea.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bret Hart posted:

Yeah just wanted to know if it'd make the xbox overheat or something.

I haven't had any issues like that with mine.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So I actually move my 360 today so that my main monitor wouldn't sit so high, and I tried to clean off the top of my desk while I was at it.

Click here for the full 2000x826 image.

Not picture: the mess just below that that I"m still sorting through instead of studying.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Click here for the full 1600x1189 image.

Managed to trade my old desk for a bigger one. Tons more desk space now. 2 main monitors are hooked up to my desktop, and the itx pc on the left doubles as a file server and htpc for a tv just off camera. Laptop gets controlled via Input Director (that's a VM running in the pic), and the samsung monitor isn't actually hooked up to anything right now. Will probably have a 360 hooked up to it once I figure out a decent way to get sound out of it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

glompix posted:

Christ I have two copies. The 2nd edition for an algorithms course in undergrad 5 years ago, (which is what is pictured) and 3rd edition last semester for a graduate course. (which is blue instead of green) I never actually read it in undergrad, but apparently it's pretty meaty.

I need to learn to sell my loving textbooks.

Dang, I have a copy of that book too. And come to think of it, I don't think I ever read it last semester in my algorithms course either. Huh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

I need to clean off my (not actual) desktop.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/ will help too. Either to organize it a bit, or to let you double click to hide/show everything.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

muskrat posted:

Have you tried using Synergy (or similar), or do you just like to keep them separate?

Was so excited earlier this month when I got a macbook to see that synergy was getting updates again, only to find out that synergy on mac is somewhat broken.

Anyways, my desk in my lab right now.

Simple but effective.

And way cleaner than my desk at home is right now :smithicide:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Modern Pragmatist posted:

How is it broken? I use it every day with Windows, Linux, and Mac machines with no problems

Edit: Also based on your picture, if you are in an academic lab i'd guess the postdoc is on the right, then grad student, then undergrad. This is based purely on perceived chair comfort.

The version I used http://synergy-foss.org/ . Has some known bugs with the way mac handles stuff right now (some of the function calls they used before aren't supported anymore and they haven't figured out how to make the replacement functions work right yet, from what I read on their bug tracker). The end result is that double clicks don't register right, and when you click on a new window oftentimes the topmenu doesn't change, so the topmenu will have chrome's menu open even though the finder is in focus.

Wound up just moving my arc keyboard back to my home desk and picking up a bluetooth apple keyboard, and combined they take up about as much desk space as the old keyboard did.

And that's actually pretty close to right for the seating, although there's no postdoc at the moment (and the undergrad doesn't realize that the black chair is actually more comfortable yet, sucker).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Don't know whether it helps much, because it does cost a bit, but I bought a copy of Multiplicity after Synergy didn't work properly with - horrible nerd moment here - dual-boxing in World of Warcraft.

Synergy would just make the relative mouse control (when controlling a character's movement) screw up completely and I'd spin in circles. Multiplicity worked perfectly.

Sadly they don't support Linux or Os X. I've always had good luck with Stardocks's other products though, so it doesn't surprise me that it works great with windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The glass they use is pretty strong. If you were really worried you could stick a wood shim to help distribute the clamping force out over a larger area.