Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Stuck two end tables on top of my desk and trying out this standing desk thing. It's actually almost the exact right height - maybe an inch too tall, but these are just cheap Ikea tables and I'll just hack the bottoms off the legs if need be. I have hard-rear end wood floors though, so if I decide to keep it I definitely will need a mat of some sort.

Just typed up a short paper, and it wasn't nearly as annoying to do so while standing as I thought. Also, I effectively just tripled the surface area of my desk, since the desktop is now open (all of the computer stuff is on the end tables, and the legs don't block the desk much) and I don't need to leave room under the desk for my feet anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My month long attempt to use a standing desk has ended.

While it definitely *felt* healthier, my employment has me on my feet and physically active the entire day - standing in one place to type a paper or play a game was simply too much after a long work day. I can see the value in it if you'd otherwise be on your rear end for eight hours straight, but my computer is generally a source of leisure and light productivity, not the focus of my day.

Gonna go look for a nice chair now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Butt Savage posted:

Oof, that case is sexy as gently caress. Every time I see a nice case like that I get the urge to build a desktop that I have absolutely no need for. That must be real nice to work in.

Edit: A few weeks ago I was looking for something in one of my drawers and found my old 9700 Pro. It's so tiny compared to today's GPUs that look like car radiators.

No poo poo, I love that case.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm trying to find a non-destructive articulating arm mount for my monitor on my work desk. Can't drill into the desk. I'd use a c-clamp mount, but there is a lip around the edge of the desk that is about 3/4 of an inch deep and 4 inches thick. Are there are any decent, cheapish mounts that have a little bit deeper clamp? Or would I be OK just clamping onto the lip? It only needs to hold up one 24" monitor.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My neck is hurting just looking at those pictures.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I have an old-rear end Steelcase desk in my office at work that has a metal back to it that spans the whole length of it. I don't really want to have my desk facing a wall, but I can't stand the horrible mess of wires that are draped over the back of my desk now, and I miss having an articulating arm for my monitor. So I have two questions:

Would something like this be any good? The base would take up some of the footprint that the monitor base+riser I'm using would take up, but it still would be a bit cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P7Y9ZG/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3W3STWCK1O3NR

And are there any suggestions for how to clean up wiring? Just run conduit and have that all over the back of the desk?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Fathom posted:

I have two hue play bars and can confirm it is pretty awesome. Those hidden behind my monitor and then a light strip attached to a shelf behind me.

Wish there was some way to get these working with my Apple TV. For now they are isolated to my computer but would get more if they were easily integrated with more things. To use with a TV it requires some stupid app using your camera facing the TV.

I have a pair behind my TV and they are indeed awesome.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Jack Forge posted:

Yeah, it's out of stock, so it's showing a clamp version instead. Vivo counter balance free standing gas arm.

I had it saved to my Amazon list.

Found it: https://vivo-us.com/products/stand-v001r

Just a note...I bought one of these for my desk at work, and unless your desk is fairly deep, I found this brought the monitor too close to my eyes, and there isn't much room to push it further back without adjusting the height also. The arm also sticks out fairly far behind the base, which can be a consideration in tight spaces or if your desk is against the wall, particularly if you are struggling with the monitor being too close to you as previously mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Decided to take the mat off, I like this cleaner look. Now to figure out what to do with the modmat

Mutant detected.