Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What is your keyboard situation? I’ve only ever been able to use old mechanical split ergonomic boards or laptop/Mac-style chiclets. A standard mechanical board fucks up my forearms real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Josh Lyman posted:

People talk about changing your monitor's height as if it's some simple task. I find desk-mounted arms don't elevate enough, and wall mounting is often not an option.

Getting right the chair/monitor height differential is pretty simple, but then the keyboard and mouse are too high. In other words, I have to raise my chair to basically maximum height for my arms to be in the proper relaxed/bent elbows position for keyboard and mouse use, but then my monitors are like 10" too low.

They make monitor stands for this exact purpose that cost like ten bucks at Walmart or wherever you want to buy them. Failing that, books. My wife's cubicle job she had for eight years she just stacked up the company's catalogs.

Oxyclean posted:

I'm somewhat going off the basis that all the ergonomic stuff says you want your arms resting close to stomach level. The surface is around 28 inches off the ground, with my chair adjusted so my feet are flat, my arms resting on the desk are sitting around chest height.

Could you get a keyboard tray? *Also* a huge help for me, and I never thought I needed one until I got one. 28 inches is just a bit lower than my desk height, but the tray is at 25ish and my elbows are a good 90-95 degree bend. (Also I'm 5'11".)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oxyclean posted:

if I want to use my wacom.

Oh that's a whole other set of problems. Good luck on that. :negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What is your monitor height at? The top edge should be at or just above your line of focus. Start with that, because loving up your neck and shoulder alignment is going to screw up everything else.

Also that keyboard looks SUPER inclined. If there's a way to lower it flat do that, otherwise your wrists are going to be pulling your hands up and back and that's super lovely.

edit: Like, looking at this picture, it looks like you're going to be hunched forward with your shoulders in your ears and your elbows raised up on the desktop, splaying your wrists that will be trying to pull up the incline of your keyboard. I really feel like a keyboard tray would solve or at least work toward addressing your issues.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Does your desk adjust any lower? That would help both with your sight line and (I think) (part of) your keyboard problem. Your upper arms should be roughly parallel with your torso with your shoulders relaxed and as little of your arms on the desk as possible to reach your keyboard. You should have about an arm's length from you to the monitor, so your keyboard placement would be dependent on that.

This is a pretty comprehensive ergonomics guide: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-an-ergonomic-workstation/

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oxyclean posted:

Oh, totally missed that second image.

The desk maybe only a cm or two thick - not really too sure how well that'd go in. There's also a metal support frame underneath that'd probably get in the way.

e: I'm just being grumpy right now, but I really don't get ergo guidelines. Like, I don't doubt how they came up with them, or that they good for your body, I just don't know how anyone manages to live with having so little clearance between their legs and a keyboard tray or desk, or arm rests in a position that they'll bump a tray or desk if you turn slightly.

It honestly sounds to me like you’re just not interested in trying at this point.

I mean, an inch of clearance above the thigh is seriously plenty. Your desktop is plenty thick for most keyboard tray screws, and as mentioned you could use gorilla glue etc if you can’t find screws that work. If you lower your desk you can always put some books under your monitor. If your armrests are hitting the table then get a new chair, because it sounds like this one is dying anyway.

But seriously, do *something.* I’d start with going with the recommended optimal stats for a few days and then adjust from there. There’s not going to be a single quick fix to this.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oxyclean posted:

it sort of just feels like I've forgotten how to sit at a desk or something.

This is probably the main thing. Even if you DO sit at a desk all day, you’re supposed to get up and physically away from the desk something like once an hour. Your body overall is not meant to sit for extended periods of time. That’s why call center (and other office) employees end up with so many issues even with proper ergonomics. You’re just not supposed to sit for extended periods, but The Man makes you anyway because we’re not paying you to not be at your desk.

But you definitely shouldn’t be crossing your legs or sitting crosslegged or any of that. You’re not supposed to have room for that because you’re not supposed to do that because it’s bad for the long-term health of your joints and whatnot. It may be temporarily comfortable, but it’s bad in the long run, and that’s the point of ergonomics: long-term health.

So yeah, retrain yourself how to sit, even if it’s for leisure.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

LionArcher posted:

Why is that better?

The back is a million times better and the seat suspension is better in that there's not a ring of plastic all the way around it that reduces the effectiveness of the mesh. I say this as someone who has both an Aeron and a Mirra. I don't regret buying my Aeron new, but the next chair I'ma get is going to be either a Sayl or a Mirra because of the back design/material and superior lumbar support (I have the old version with the lovely plastic bumper rather than "real" lumbar support.)

edit: I much prefer the Aeron armrests, though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

benisntfunny posted:

It doesn’t take but like 15 minutes and some Velcro ties. This excuse is like saying vacuuming your floor is just for people who have too much time.

You can’t vacuum the floor if you can’t see it under a raft of Mountain Dew cans and Little Debbie wrappers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nice Rifter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love all y’all with life-consuming hobbies that have spouses or whatever that aren’t 100% into that poo poo themselves.

Find you a nerd and share Steam libraries, people. Gift each other consoles. It’s pretty fuckin rad not having to be all *~my wife~* when it comes to tech poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inept posted:

Video games: a life-consuming hobby

Apparently it is for some of the people in this thread!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Who the gently caress has 100% overlapping interests with their partner/spouse?

I think there’s quite a bit of space between “my otaku wife and I built coordinated gaming rigs to put in our Zelda-themed-den that match our tattoos” and “best make them vidja games disappear, boy, if yer fixing to catch a woman round these parts....”

Especially when I didn't even say the first. That said, I do know people like that and they're perfectly happy and more power to 'em.

If I enjoy a thing enough to have custom equipment to do said thing, you better be drat sure I'm going to make sure any potential partner is cool as poo poo with it or it's gonna be a problem at some point, guaranteed. Like, for instance, if your computer is *visible*? That ain't a gender problem, I assure y'all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

carry on then posted:

God I love the mental gymnastics goons will go through to justify not growing up.

If you still have the same interests you did as a teenager, mentally you still are a teenager.

*checks rap sheet*

Oh, carry on then.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I use a tray primarily for ergonomics. My desk is about 2 inches too tall for my chair to be adjusted correctly and have my monitor at the right height as well as my arms. Tray solves it just fine without trying to find another desk.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

They also put stress and pressure on your carpal tunnel, exacerbating an already recurrent issue. Basically anything you rest your wrist on in any capacity (your actual wrist, like the part that does all the bendy stuff) is worse than nothing at all. Something that's more of a forearm rest is much better, and should allow for the full and unrestricted movement of the wrists.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Why the hell is any of that stuff in your master bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleeping and loving and storing clothing and maybe reading. Unless there's some functional reason to have all of those electronics in there (ie, roommates, you still live with your parents, etc) get that poo poo into the living room.

People wonder why they have sleep disorders.

Also get a proper window covering you schlub.

edit: furthermore get some cable management happening.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Taima posted:

Exactly. I'm a super dedicated home cook, we love entertaining, cooking, and lounging in our living room/kitchen (which is combined into one oddly shaped room). Every spare inch is spoken for, it's a pretty modestly sized area. This was basically the best compromise we could figure out for the space.

In that case: Move the bed so the head is centered under the small window. Put the desk where the head of the bed currently is. Flip-flop the TV and the electronics rack.

Get a real loving window covering, for seriously. You can buy smaller blackout panels so you don't have a loving blanket hanging on your wall like a stoner freshman. Get a headboard that compliments said window covering. Also that TV is way, way too big for that space and in a position that is bad for viewing, even/especially from a bed. Get a proper nightstand so you don't have a wire rack screwed to the wall and put said nightstand on the non-desk side of the bed. Find a way to isolate the floorstanding speakers from the floor (rubbermaid had really good computer monitor stands for such a purpose, but any thing that decouples them from the floor will benefit your bass response SIGNIFICANTLY.)

Seriously, you're so close to being out of Goon Aesthetics that it's some kind of uncanny valley. I'm even letting you keep your rope/christmas lights.

nem posted:

My mom bestowed these fine words with me, "bedrooms are for sleeping and screwing" when I first moved out. To this day I've never kept a TV in the bedroom.

Fuckin' right.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Moey posted:

I have had one of these things for almost 3 years, has been working fine and doesn't look terrible in my opinion.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4DCVLW/

Can ditch the lovely psuedo-box-spring with that frame, too. And it's a good neutral gray to go against the brown actual window covering.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So for starters I think you're far more interested in specs than aesthetics and quality of life.

To start with the TV: that chart, if I remember right (it's been a while since I've looked at it in context) is for whether or not a TV's pixel density and resolution makes a difference at a given distance, NOT if that size TV is "right" for your room. So yes, you get "benefit" of not being able to see the pixelization, but the TV dominates the room in a way that is out of proportion for the place its in. More on this in a bit. As for where it is located in general, for starters, you're never going to have you eyes properly centered on the screen, so the image from the angle you're at, whether your laying down or sitting up on the bed, will always be distorted because of physics. Ergonomically, beds are just bad for sitting on, ridiculous cushions or no. Sitting in general is bad for the human body, which I would assumed you'd know if you spent the money on an Embody. A bed is not built for butts. Furthermore, with the TV so high, you will always be craning your neck upward, which is extremely bad for your neck and shoulder joints, not to mention all your back muscles.

Second, the arrangement: if that desk is wider than 60 inches AND that wall is somehow less, I'll eat my hat, or your camera has some really, really interesting lens geometry. Even so I would suggest doing the same thing I suggested but moving the bed further than centered on the window and putting the back of the desk on the same wall. Move the big things out of the corners.

This is where the proportion part comes in. There's a serious issue of massing and color blocking going on here. By pushing everything out to the walls, you've destroyed any sense of the bounds of the room by hiding all the boundaries. Humans like to know the size of the space they're in. Despite a lot of stuff being in this room, it still feels empty and unmoored, like a storage space with furniture in it instead of a place where people live. Having one huge effectively unmarked wall with another huge brown hole in it (again functional but without any aesthetic sense) makes that wall seem even more bare. The floor, unbounded by regular floor/wall boundaries looks more like a lake than a planned space. The desktop space is extremely thin compared to the massive speakers sitting on it (which, of course, are top of the line consumer speakers, but poorly placed and hilariously overpowered unless you're doing highly-critical listening (in an absolutely untreated room where the PC noise is likely going to overpower the most critical differences you would get between those speakers and smaller, cheaper, speakers. The TV is a combination of all the massing stuff I just said. A huge blank space in the wall that cuts off the boundaries of the room, placed on a too-small piece of furniture, and sitting above similarly unmoored slabs of black wood in the floorstanding speakers.

Like, this is the Jurassic Park of rooms. Everything is stunning individually, on paper, but there's so little thought given to how everything works together.

Daric posted:

I know this is the post your actual desktop thread but we need one to help these sad goons get out of their child-like aesthetics and into something more adult.

I haven't looked recently, but the Apartment Goons thread tends to have a lot of that sort of thing. But as I mention at the outset, I suspect it has a lot to do with us as a community geeking out over numbers more than anything. Who cares about how things look so long as it works at optimal performance? Turns out most human beings like being in cohesive and aesthetically pleasing spaces. A lot of them just don't get exposed to what those spaces are like because most of us don't get the luxury of planned spaces.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Deviant posted:

the arrogance from the interior design thread is leaking again

OP could have just left it to their desktop space, which, cable control and awkwardly and unnecessarily large speakers aside, is pretty dece.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ruflux posted:

This is the most hilarious page in the thread, holy loving lord. I've personally never liked having a TV in the bedroom and all but typically bitter goons have apparently decided having one means you're a permavirgin fat slob manchild. I absolutely love the insane overreaction to the most uninterestingly "awful" setup ever. Like, the TV is too big and apparently he doesn't own a headboard? Stop the loving presses, crimes against interior decoration are being committed right here in this thread!

You have a blanket as a window covering, don't you.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Embody is a great chair, nothing wrong with it. I have an Aeron and wish I would have picked something else instead. Or at least waited a little longer since the updated version came out about a year later.

Anyway, my overall point is one of cohesion. If you MUST have Item X in there, figure out a way to get it in there so it looks like it belongs there, rather than "This is where it fits." If you've taken care with the rest of your house, there's no reason your bedroom--a room that's intended to be comfortable, pleasant, and relaxing--should be the odd duck. Especially considering how much time you put into researching specs.

If you're *happy* with what you have, there's no reason to listen to me/us. All I'm saying is that from a design standpoint, some of these things have known solutions to keep you from injury and improve aesthetics.

As for something for your window covering, literally just go to Walmart or Target and get something that is relatively close to the patio door covering. If necessary, find a friend that sews and toss some bux at them to hem it if you find something you like that is oversized.

I'd also suggest finding a dresser or some such that is wider than it is tall for the TV to sit on so that it's not so high up. Comfy chair or no, that's gonna cause problems in the future, either through ergonomics or the TV falling.

Also, super-secret confession: my bedroom is my living room. And vice versa. I am a married middle-aged adult with a lofted bed and comic book art on my walls. We have TWO computers out here as well. Are there things I could be doing better with my space? Absolutely. My biggest sin is window coverings, of which we have none besides normal vinyl blinds. But I haven't done anything about it because it's less important to me than the whole room feeling comfortable, which at the moment it does. Maybe one day down the road, when the kid has moved out and the bed is in the BEDroom and I can move to something more ideal. For now, though: making do.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bobmarleysghost posted:

they don't want to spend the cash required

None of the suggestions I initially made outside of a single window covering cost anything. Literally all it takes it to pull things out of the corner.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Proper lighting comes in three stages and all three are necessary for a functional room: general/ambient light (say an overhead or large floor lamp), accent light (for spots the general doesn't catch or room features you want to gilght such as art, lots of lamps and spot-style lights fit this), and task lighting for reading or work (clamp lights, reading lamps, desk lights.) Trying to accomplish everything with one lighting setup is literally impossible.

Hue lights are intended as accent lighting and while having them full up CAN light a room, it will never do exactly what you want it to in any given situation.

This is another example I'll chalk up to spec over function. Those lights are rad, but not reeeeeaally how you're using them. The way your arguments so far have broken down so far tends to go with "This is a Brand X product, why don't you like it? It's top of the line! We've done Y to make it work the way we want it to," while ignoring the fact that you'd have a much superior *experience* with less shoehorned gear. I appreciate people that try to cram Viper V10 engines into Beetles, but there's a level of practicality that will never be reached by trying to outreach your limitations (in this case, available space.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Theophany posted:

You know for like $10 you can get multi colored, remote controlled, LED, colour changeable, dimmable bulbs right? This whole "three stages of lighting" is peak interior design twattery.

You're welcome to work at your desk without direct light and your shadow in your work the whole. Ain't no big fuckin' deal to me.

One bit of rope light in a corner is absolutely none of the things I mentioned and serves the purpose of Not Running Into Things Because It's Dark.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Note to self: read the thread.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tedronai66 posted:

Do any of you goons do something for sound dampening? That isn't giant-foam-triangle-stuff?

Not trying to set up a studio feel, but something to knock out my talking when im in my office, right below the owners BR, as well as maybe dampen the sound from that bedroom as well.

That, and maybe something to have in the upstairs hallways/stairway, because I can be in the kitchen and hear my wife talking in a normal conversation voice as if she were in the room.

Highs and mids you want diffusion and absorbtion. High ceilings and flat, bare walls are absolutely gonna keep everything live always. What do you have for window coverings? Nice thick curtains would help. Otherwise like Comboomer said, furniture might work. Textiles in general are your friend. Diffusion panels are handy, but you need to make sure they're not in an area where they're likely to get run into.

(Incidentally, if you're having bass problems, physical decoupling is the only really foolproof way to go about things, but you can put bass traps in the corners if necessary and that will help with nodes.)

Edit: It's also going to depend heavily on what kind of art is going up. Sticking a flat panel of non-porous material (especially glass) in front of your treatment isn't gonna do much of anything, and might actually make things worse.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

excellent bird guy posted:

edit: today i learned the difference between [timg][/timg] and [timg][/timg]

my friends in the synthesizer thead suggested I post here
I upgraded today by putting my back against the wall.

Oh God you weren't supposed to post here, you were supposed to look for ideas or help. You'll be lucky to get out with your life.

Just kidding. The generic answer is a butcher-block top of a length and width that works and some homebrew base. Outside of that, you're gonna have to get specific about what your wants and needs are, like where you need to fit it, if you need tiers, etc.

Also nice piss jug.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VectorSigma posted:

Finally got it how I want it.

What speakers are those?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CubanMissile posted:

I would find that too distracting but it's still pretty neat.

Same. It's a neat niche thing, but I deffo wouldn't try to watch anything busy on it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A second table would help a lot, yes. A folding X-stand for the Yamaha would help a ton as well, and they can be had pretty cheap.

I hope the folding chair you're getting is fancy, because I used one for about three months this spring and it made me sit just about anywhere else, as it made all sorts of things go numb, even being padded.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of, I've got a budget of about $300 and "someone" wants to buy me a chair. Any recommendations? Comfort is important, function is "a chair", so I don't need anything fancy or anything. Hell, don't even need wheels.

You'll definitely need wheels, trust me.

Check your local Craigslist for a used Herman Miller SAYL, Celle, or first-gen Mirra. They're all great chairs and usually stand up to a lot, and might still be under warranty depending on age. They're all really popular for corporate office spec and so there's a bunch of them out there. Herman Miller's weird flexible plastic backs are amazing.

Other than that, you're gonna find a lot of really generic racer-style gaming chairs that may or may not be comfortable, and your standard "plush" "executive" office chair.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

cage-free egghead posted:

Edit: Ikea doesn't do just regular delivery? drat. The cheapest delivery cost is $199 on top of the $160 for the desk lmao

Nope. All their shipping is through independent freight haulers from the nearest warehouse from what I can tell.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Really dig all those changes. As much as I love burgundy/maroon it's usually a terrible color for carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Textured drywall is still a pretty popular thing. Turns out tons of tiny random bumps help knock down a lot of high-frequency echo by scattering sound waves. It's also slightly more visually interesting than a bare, flat ceiling/wall.

But if you DON'T want those, yeah it's a massive pain to get rid of.