Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

titaniumone posted:

It's finally time to replace my old Ikea desk with something that isn't particle board garbage, but I'm having trouble finding a replacement. All I want is a large, flat surface, no bigger than 30" x 60". I had been thinking of building my own desk but I bought a house and I've got side projects coming out my ears already.

The Herman Miller Envelop looks interesting but it's expensive and I don't think it's wide enough (at 45") to comfortably support 2x 24" monitors on arms and still have enough space for desk speakers and the other occasional thing (like a cup of coffee).

I've been looking at small dining room tables and stuff from local stores since they seem to be the closest thing to what I want but a big slab of stained sealed maple with simple metal legs are generally in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark which is a bit much.

Are there any mass produced computer desks that aren't trash?

Ikea sells solid wood furniture too. I don't know if you want to avoid Ikea or avoid particleboard, but if you just want to avoid particleboard, the below link is for an Ikea desk, with dimensions of a little under 30" x 60" and made from solid beechwood, for a little over $200.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09046433/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU