Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ihmemies posted:

I bought an electric desk for 400€. Reused my old table.

I should have done this earlier. 4 memory positions and a height display in cm.

What dimensions is this desk? Trying to decide between 62 in, 52 in, 42 in.....

For the record I'm looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SalTheBard posted:

I have a 63" desk and I couldn't be happier with it. Depending on your height 42" inches might not be tall enough for you. I'm 6'3" and my desk goes up to I believe 50" and 48" is about where I have it full extended.

Thanks man. I'm 5'9" and it looks like at hypothetical 42", my elbows would be around a 90 degree angle, so seems an ergonomic height for a mouse and KB.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Looks like this is a brand new product on Monoprice, I'm considering it instead of a Home Depot desk I posted a bit ago. 47" width :-/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42763

This photo makes it look too small though, I don't think it's enough for 2 monitors and a mouse/KB:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 23, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Trip report, I bought a 60x30 VariDesk (reclaimed wood style)and I am very impressed at the mechanical quality of everything, and the laminate top. It's real solid. Uplift was my 2nd choice but it was ~$200 more expensive, and I didn't feel it was $200 better, though I haven't seen one in real life. Mine was $700 + tax.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Granite Octopus posted:

New speakers arrived! Pretty happy with how everything is set up now. Would love to replace the hot loud laptop with an M1 mini.

Going to replace the table top with a laminated soild wood top. Just need to get round to putting it together.

Looks good. You mean laminate or solid wood top, which one? :shobon:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It is very odd and I've never figured it out. IKEA has the worst shipping options of any major retailer I've seen in memory, and they've never changed it. In These Times, that seems like a mega fuckton of cash left on the table, by not using traditional UPS/FedEx/whatever and an online system to match. Perhaps there is some reason I am not understanding.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Three Olives posted:

On one hand, delivery logistics are extremely difficult and expensive on large items that have a high chance of being damaged in transit, or really at any point from production to end delivery.

On the other hand, where are you going to get an Utespelare?

Nah, that is a wild excuse. Every furniture company under the sun ships items the way I described, including flat pack ones. It is truly baffling why they don't.

Article.com, West Elm, Pier One, a million other companies do it this way, and non-flat pack is harder to ship. My full-size non flat pack couch came in one box from Article.

Not to mention Uplift desk and all their clones.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Three Olives posted:

Can? Probably? Wants to build the required infrastructure, overhead, loss of brand experience, customer service issues when they are turning a profit of $1.7 billion dollars and are not accountable to any public shareholders? BTW, if you ever want to look at a corporate structure that would give even professionals in the business a migraine, look at their corporate ownership structure, it is insane.

But that's my point, it's like Amazon refusing to do business with shippers including their own. It's asinine. What if that 1.7B could be 3B if they just shipped some god drat flat pack?

Whatever though, I'm willing to drop it since I'm not going to get a good answer to this without doing some serious IKEA research lol. I do want to try to pierce the veil of their corporate structure and learn some of it at least.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

South posted:

Finally finished my new build, besides switching out my 24" monitor from 2014. Ignore my craptacular cable management system, it's a work in progress. Yes, all the blue RGB makes it run coolder.

Absolutely love the Eames, I'm a basic bitch so it's my favorite piece of furniture out there, and I'll never be able to afford one. Enjoy it for me. Your grandparents did you well.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

nem posted:

How's typing while bobbing during your walk? Did you get better at stabilizing over use? I've considered getting a treadmill for a few years now to break up the monotony of coding but all low-profile treadmills I've found so far were a bit outside what I'd like to spend on a potentially incompatible investment.

Can you find one with a return policy to assuage your concern?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yo SamDabbers what language or type of coding do you do the most in your day to day while walkin’ ?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but the tiles don’t go all the way to the floor

Glass half empty kinda guy eh?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

I actually have 4 laptops on my desk and I have considered using a magazine rack in the past.
Main laptop is docked and I remote into corporate laptops issued by clients A, B and C.

I am curious how a corporate client large enough to mandate an issued laptop also does not have security policies that disallow being remoted into. I haven’t been able to do that myself so it’s nice that you can.

Most stuff these days at my gig uses a VM desktop environment too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: posted in the wrong thread, meant the chair one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

100% Dundee posted:

I understand that it looks super pretty and aesthetic for the photos when you have the monitors completely flat and lined up like that and have your mouse/trackpad thing in the center, but do you actually use your setup like that? I'm also a dual monitor, center keyboard user but I have to angle the edges of the monitors towards me(if they're flat) or use curved displays(preferably). Using some rough, quick maths and assuming you were sitting like 24inches away from your monitors at the center, that would put the outside edges at like 35" away from you or so, doesn't it?

Just curious, not trolling or anything. The setup is gorgeous but if I was using it like that I feel like I would be cranking my head all over or sliding my chair back and forth to comfortably use each monitor.

I had the same thought cuz my monitor is just barely able to be low enough to not be craining the ol’ neck

Top of monitor equal to eye level is the superior computering race

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lots of fancy mic setups in thread. If you use speakers + dedicated desk mic for conference calls, does the mic pick up other people's voice from the speakers and cause an echo?

I've been using a Jabra wired headset forever and it's fine but the wire is distracting, AirPods Pro work ok to add variety to life, though it is annoying they don't have sidetone like the Jabra does.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I highly recommend varidesk, it’s gonna be a more polished solution over a Husky.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

benisntfunny posted:

Switched up my setup with Studio Displays. Honestly, the best display.

I think you would win thread awards for most or close to most amount of money invested in your desk space and what's on top of it. Does your employer subsidize any of your setup by chance, are you in software eng? Big fan of your space :)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

30x60 varidesk here, 30” feels dope to me for depth, any less would feel cramped. I’m not using VESA mounts yet though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SalTheBard posted:

That is great. I love the CRT TV!

Aren’t there 2 of them in the pic

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CordlessPen posted:

Does nobody else think that the never removed TV stickers give the thing a "take a picture for the upvotes and return this silly setup to the store" vibe?

:yeah: post is a fishy vibe in general

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I hate using a mouse without a deskpad / mousepad. Sign of a weak willed person.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I was actually a front pocket wallet guy in my adolescence and young adulthood, but changed over sometime around university. Now I'm a back pocket wallet guy. It's very freeing to not have anything in your pockets as you sit down, so I take everything out instinctively anyway -- never have sat on it unintentionally. My EDC in most ranges of weather is keys right front, wallet right rear, phone left rear. My state does not have digital ID and a good ~20% or so of the small businesses in my metro are cash only, corner stores have card minimums etc. (it is against Visa/MC terms to have certain minimums for debit cards but many merchants here don't care and still have one)

Sorry back to the desks

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 10, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Your magazine tier photos are nice but please stop making those of us with hovels feel bad.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

benisntfunny posted:

Around zero? I’m writing code in here not building furniture.

I think it was a poorly thought out joke around each fold in your wall collecting dust.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What sort of industry do you work in, wizardry?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

cadex posted:

living near some medieval structure isn't all that rare in England.
but yes if someone cared that much I'm sure they could work it out.

One of the funniest flexes I’ve read on the forums! you have a prepared joke video about Brits all living in castles and you live extremely close to breathtaking castles :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Ask and you shall receive

It's a collage made from like 100 old cat fancy magazines

Mounted on a door

It's got bubbles in it because my wife's sister didn't use a J-roller or rolling pin I guess.

If you want you can tell them the internet thinks it’s awesome, great piece.