Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

I have almost dumped an entire cup of coffee into my top AIO exhaust like 2-3 times while teaching this year.

One day manufacturers will remember fans can go on the side panel.

One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, this is correct (I’d love to see higher quality mesh and perforated glass/acrylic paneling make its way to the pc space)

While I did make that comment mostly joking, my previous computer was built with a 200mm fan in the side specifically to exhaust the GPU heat (while the CPU did its normal thing of venting out the back with the total of 3 140mms pushing air). Unsurprisingly, it ran cooler than my current one despite the current one retaining the same GPU. Who could have guessed that a tempered glass panel wouldn't help a GPU with fans pointed down and away from all of the vents in the case to circulate air?

My contribution to the thread. Hand towel is a recent addition so I can keep an ice pack for my injured wrist handy without damaging the desk top from moisture.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

Corsair ripped off lian li side intake with their new 5000 series case.

Top exhaust is here to stay with AIOs as popular as they are.

...who the hell came up with right-side intakes? About the worst placement I can think of for one (and more intake with even less exhaust is the last thing the average PC needs...). Ah well. Looks pretty bad and the vertical mount GPU just makes the issue worse, but I'm sure they'll sell boatloads because Corsair. Used to be quality hardware, at least.
I still won't use a water cooling setup so I'm not the target audience for PC parts any more, I guess.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

You want less intake then exhaust? Why?

If you have more intake then exhaust then the case will have positive pressure which prevents dust from being pulled in where filters are missing. (like pci slots)

The case has 6 fans in and 4 fans out. Seems great to me.

You don't need to vertically mount the GPU. Its not required in any way.

Are we looking at the same case?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-5000...962037350&psc=1

Gamers Nexus rather liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_qa49gHzw

Yeah, I misread their description on their site and got the fan ratio off, and their site makes a big deal of the "vertical GPU mounting" with exclusively photos of vertical mounting in all the publicity shots. (Though I did get it right reading "10 120mm fans or 4 140mm fans", and I'd have to deeply question anyone who chose the latter.) It's still pretty close to the opposite of my interest in hardware but it's less dumb than my mistaken first read indicated.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok man whatever you say. I'm not here to judge.

What else am I going to use it for? (Seriously though - whoever made this ice pack, no manufacturer label, but Jesus. 2 or 3 pounds of ice, stays cold enough for PT use for 4+ hours at room temperature. Gotta find more of these.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coredump posted:

Dang cuz I was going to recommend the Microsoft Sculpt. I have a 60% mech, two full size mech's, but the sculpt is my new fave. Have it on my work and personal desktops.

Not my pic, and I don't use the riser they include.

The sculpt has scissor keys compared to the mussy keys of that Natural Ergo whatever number. I have one of those keyboards you linked somewhere in my keyboards I think. That full size split ergo was huge. I like my smaller one so I don't have to reach as far to my mouse.

FWIW I had a bad experience trying the Sculpt myself, the wireless connection was drat near useless and kept dropping out. I have a wired Kinesis Freestyle 2 at work now that I have... mixed feelings on, but definitely prefer over the form factor and the wirelessness (is that even a word?) of the Sculpt.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, I've been posting over there recently so you've probably seen me talk about this one & needing to replace my home kb. Nothing special about my home desktop to merit posting short of "still using Vista-badged monitors in 2021" of course.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coredump posted:

MINE DOES THIS TOO. Don't plug it into USB 3 and if you can, get a little USB extension cable to plug in the receiver. I know that's a lot to go through for a keyboard but I really do like this form factor, I wished they made a wired version.

I just opt for wired everything where I can. Wire tangles happen from time to time but I at least know it's reliable that way. Never trusted wireless to be consistent and likely never will. I have heard that advice and seen it work though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Three Olives posted:

On one hand, delivery logistics are extremely difficult and expensive on large items that have a high chance of being damaged in transit, or really at any point from production to end delivery.

On the other hand, where are you going to get an Utespelare?

If we can manage to ship entire intact sectional sets across the world without issue, IKEA can get a flat pack 50 miles. Without costing 4 times as much for shipping.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

cage-free egghead posted:

Definitely recommend at least getting an ergo mouse of some sort. I hate vertical mice but love trackballs, I immediately felt much more comfortable after an entire day using it.

Ended up getting a split keyboard too. Just a no frills one, not like the crazy Ergodock or Moonlander. It's been a little weird trying to get typing right but again it did wonders for my workday.

May be worth it to see if your company will pay for ergo equipment too. Two of the last few companies would give you keyboards and mice and even sit to stand desks with no pushback.

Unsinkabear posted:

Seconding split keyboards with a standard layout, it's an easier switch than it seems and they do wonders. Still waiting for someone to put a decent sensor in one of those vertical ergo mice, though

Yeah, the switch isn't that bad, though I alternate between standard and split so the muscle memory isn't there. (Split at work where it's typing heavy, standard at home where it's mostly a game peripheral or just used for messaging.)

Still waiting for a good ergo mouse to exist in general. At least one that isn't bank breaking. I've tried several and none are an improvement, several (including every vertical mouse I've tried) were noticeably worse.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You think my setup's janky? This used to be my PC case.

Look at that airflow. Budget builds 4 lyfe.

I know an electrician who couldn't be assed to replace their tower's power button and rigged it up to effectively hotwire the PC to start it every time.

Budgets of $0 breed strange behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

repiv posted:

isn't it quicker to list products that don't have that prop65 disclaimer, whenever i look at american stores it seems to be everywhere

Usually yeah. Prop 65 was "undermined" very early on by broadening its coverage so widely as to make the warning useless. Great for companies since they're less likely to get caught putting actual carcinogens in; not great for consumers who are working with worse info than if it was done right.