Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I'm in the market for a new computer desk. I've seen some really nice desks in this thread, but not too many people post where they purchased them.

Essentially what I'm looking for is something that can hold 2 towers, a 24 inch monitor, a 17 inch CRT monitor, and a 19 inch LCD monitor. No printer, and preferably space for small set of speakers/subwoofer.

I know the Jerker was a huge favorite back in the day, but I can't seem to find any other modular-style workstation towers that aren't over 300 dollars. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

I will definitely be getting rid of the light in the back... drat hard on the eyes.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I'm thinking of getting an Ikea Vika Amon(http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99843742/) but I'm a little concerned about the build quality. I do not have an Ikea near me, so I will have to order this over the internet.

I'm particularily concerned over this seemingly minor detail:

Table top:
Top: Fiberboard, Printed and embossed acrylic paint, .
Frame: Particleboard, ABS plastic
Filling material: Paper
Bottom: Fiberboard

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Ana5000 posted:

My table on the post above is exactly that model. It's sturdy enough to hold a computer and such stuff, but I wouldn't stand on it. Paper filling is probably surprisingly resilient, you should check that episode of Mythbusters where they made armor from paper.

If it's a computer/writing desk you're after, the Vika Amon is a very good affordable choice.

My high-gloss white had some cracks on the veneer from bad shipping/handling, though, so keep that in mind if you're going to order it online.

I actually went out to a hardware store and took a look at doors that are manufactured the same way (hollow with a paper core) and they seemed sturdy enough, so I placed an order for the birch version of the desk. I hope it doesn't get mangled during shipment.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

WorkingStiff posted:

I have a few of those Vika Amon desks - I posted them earlier in the thread. Caveat emptor, if you have a monitor stand or heavy monitors they sag in the middle. If your order hasn't gone through, seriously consider the Numerar or Lagan butcher block top. They aren't much more money, but are far better quality.

Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately, my order shipped today, so I won't be making any changes. However, I noticed that those table tops come in pre-defined lengths for the online store, so I'm not sure if I could get one for 60 inches in length. Anyway, I'll give the desk a shot, but I suspect that it may suffer from similar symptoms. But if it does, I will consider keeping the legs and just getting a new top, which is a nice option to have just in case. And to be honest, the desk really isn't all that expensive to begin with, so I don't feel like I would be out a tremendous amount of money if I have to replace the top in a year or two. Speaking of which, when did you start to notice that your monitor had begun to take a toll on the desk?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

WorkingStiff posted:

3 or 4 months in. This is on two desks with monitor stands. An extra leg in the back would probably help. One plus with the hollow-core door desks is that wireless mouse & keyboards get a great signal!

Wow, that seems like a really short period of time for an issue like that to set in. Well, I guess I could consider mounting my monitor which wouldn't necassarily be a big deal seeing how inexpensive they are now (http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Art...itor+wall+mount), but I wasn't planning on it. How big was your monitor?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Received my Vika Amon yesterday, and I have to admit, I'm really disappointed with Ikea's shipping and service standards. I opened the box and found every corner of the desk damaged. I called Ikea's customer service line, was on hold for about 25 minutes, which then gave way to an answering machine :confused:. I left a voicemail message, and then followed up online using their service e-mail address. I have yet to hear back from them.

Looking at the way the desk was packaged, it's really no surprise that the desk arrived in such bad shape. They literally put zero padding in the corners of any sort, which leaves the corners and edges extremely suceptible to shipping damages.

I think their website says that returns or refunds require that I pay the shipping costs, but I find this to be a little outrageous considering their sub-standard shipping practices. If I exchange this desktop for another one, I can almost guarantee the next one I get will be damaged as well.

Never order from Ikea online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
It looks like I'm in the market for a new computer desk (again).

I'd really like to find something similar to this, which has the adjustable keyboard shelf and large work area:

http://www.omnirax.com/index.php/DisplayProduct/0-241

I'm not hot on the few grand required for the above setup, though.