Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

usurper posted:

Buy more power cables. I have 4. 1 for the home office, 1 for my travel bag, 1 for work, 1 that's buried into the couch. gently caress carrying those things around.

To be more specific, lug the brick around all you like. Just make sure to get extra cords to snap into the brick. It's a lot easier to just snap your brick into the already plugged-in cord than it is to have to unravel something every time you move your computer between the 2-3 desks it has. Sure, it's not as convenient as having multiple bricks, but it won't cost you $80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Corbet posted:

Not to derail but I think it's wise to invest in something you probably spend hours staring at for days on end. The same applies to people who have crappy desk chairs.

To each his own.

You're an idiot if you can't tell the difference between a decent monitor with nothing wrong with it other than it being a CRT, and a chair. The two are not analogous. A decent CRT costs almost nothing these days(especially secondhand), and is more than comparable to whatever LCD monitor you might find in terms of clarity, brightness, and quality. It makes sense, for a person on a slim budget, to not want to pay 5 times the price for something that only provides a benefit in terms of weight and size.

A chair is a completely different thing because the dirt cheap chairs are, in fact, not as comfortable to sit in. The dirt cheap CRT is mostly comparable to the LCD.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Matlock posted:

I don't get the love for the Jerker. It's a generic quasi-industrial dorm desk with a bunch of optional modular parts that are kinda necessary if you want to make it acceptable. By the time you mess around with that, you could get a good desk.

But, in this way, the Jerker is everything to everyone. It is all our hopes, dreams, and fears rolled into a desk. Through the desk we experience our world. The world experiences us through the desk. The desk is us. We are the desk.

I am a Jerker, perfect as Ikea made me.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Excuse me for living like poo poo, but I have some pretty serious bronchitis right now. Also, space is at a significant premium in Japan. My room is only a bit larger than some prison cells I've seen. There's another picture here from when I moved in.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 25, 2008

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

tmfool posted:

Wires, a desk that collects and displays way too much dust, Spider-Man, crappy speakers, and a lovely shelf that houses all of my graphic design books, a stuffed sheep from a client, and a couple of posters. I work in squalor.

I seriously hope you designed those posters for Life as a House and Finding Forrester. Outside of that, I can't think of any other reason for owning specifically the posters for those movies in a framed fashion.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Dumpsterj posted:

Wow , i thought my poo poo was a mess. Then somehow , pictures made it seem even worse. Media pretty much takes up the whole living room !!! :) . Im getting ready to move if that makes it any better :/

apparently i have an easier time resizing images when im not drunk

I'm not trying to be a dick here because the house I live in with my college mates looks precisely like this. Those images are pretty much goonroom.jpg. Utilitarian furniture above all. Mess of video game systems with Guitar Hero in the background. SA background image with dual monitors. You're living the dream my friend.

Though, I do appreciate the lack of rotting food items in the mess. That's something my house can't get right sometimes.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

TraceTheory posted:

yes, i do have 3 360s, and 5 cell phones

Really, you had to point out that one of your 360's is modded? There's no homebrew community for it at this point, and so you're basically screaming to the forums that you're a pirate. The piracy isn't even the big issue for me, it's the stupidity of screaming from the mountaintop about it that I'm bothered by.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mr Chips posted:

Diabetic?

The guy is obviously diabetic. I just took it as a joke to say he was hooked on the junk.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mikey-San posted:

You expected nerds on the Internet to get the joke and not take you 100% seriously. hahahahahaha

I didn't make the joke.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I was still using my Game Theatre XP up until a few weeks ago when that computer died. I loved it for the first 2 years or so, but then the breakout box started to have trouble. It started loving up right channel RCA outs, and the headphone jack never worked. It really sucked while moving around, though. I would move into the dorms in September, and move out in May. That giant breakout box cable became very annoying. It only had USB 1, which was also a pain, but it was good for putting game controllers and mice/keyboards on.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Milo Pollywalter posted:

I haven't tried to get replaced under warranty yet as it's still half-working so I haven't quite given up yet.

Well then stop loving complaining about it then. You have a defective unit. You choose to continue to use that defective unit. poo poo happens, but it's your fault today for not replacing it yesterday.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Whatever the case, I'm saying don't buy a Drobo.

It might not have worked perfectly for you, but Drobo is a pretty good product. I realize we're in SH/SC, but there's probably still a lot of us that would pay for the ease of use that the Drobo provides. You just shove any old drives in, and then it works. I realize the second part isn't going so well for you, but I don't see how your one bad experience justifies writing off the product. If I had a bad experience with my Macbook, then got it replaced. I wouldn't run around telling people not to buy it. That's not fair.

You can look at it like your Drobo didn't work. Or you can look at it like the Drobo has a good warranty. It just feels like you're being unrealistic and juvenile.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

LE posted:

Now now, the Mighty Mouse isn't that bad. It beats the poo poo out of the puck.

The Mighty Mouse is one of those devices that some people hate and other people love. I dig it, but I think that is because my hand is of the right size where it doesn't start to hurt after a while. Anyone with big hands would best not use one of them.

It's not that it's uncomfortably shaped, it's that it will frequently stop working. There's also the issue that you can't rest your fingers on it like you usually use a mouse so you're having to float your fingers above the front of the mouse. That's annoying as hell, and frequently I'll accidentally be resting my middle finger where the right mouse button will be which causes the left mouse button to not work until I pick my finger up.

It's a lovely design that breaks often, requires constant cleaning, and is generally annoying to use for the reason I outlined above. For what the drat thing costs, there's no reason not to pick up the sexy magic that is a good Logitech.

The Mighty Mouse is the pinnacle of form in lieu of actual function. The puck isn't that much better. You have to pivot your entire hand in order to click the mouse, and this will frequently cause you to move the pointer slightly every time you click the mouse. This makes it annoyingly inaccurate. You'd think that with the legions of artists, editors, and design people that use Macs that Apple might actually talk to them about what sort of mouse they would want.

Those loving mice are the reason I started lugging my Logitech around with me to the video and audio editing suites while I was in university. Meanwhile, the PC labs had off-brand opticals that worked 100x better for a fraction of the cost. Apple, for some reason, just refuses to make a proper mouse. I love their products generally, but their mice are abortions that should have never been conceived.

To anyone who will defend these awful mice, don't tell me I have to get used to it. They're premium-priced mice that don't offer any features over conventional mice to justify getting used to anything. At this point we've pretty much perfected what a mouse is. There was a $15 Logitech 10 years ago with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that was perfect. I shouldn't have to get used to a more expensive mouse in order to duplicate the functionality of something far cheaper and far more usable.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 24, 2009