Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife and I spent much of the weekend cleaning up and organizing my office / storage room. We run a business out of our house so I spend lots of time in here and the way it was organized made it pretty depressing, we decluttered, reorganized, and brightened the space up. It may still look cluttered due to the clear storage bins and the power strip, but it is a huge improvement.

Pre-emptive answers to possible questions:

Storage-System/Desk Structure: IKEA BRODER, they no longer make the galvanized desktops that we are using as shelves, when they did they charged $40 apiece for them. We happened to be at an IKEA when they clearanced them out and picked up 20 for 49 cents each.

Desktop: Tempered glass, Architectural salvage. Not even remotely flat but you can't tell without putting a straightedge on it.

Keyboard: IBM Model M-13 with the nub mouse built in. I need to get a ps2->USB adapter to use the nub mouse. A friend of mine gave me this for my birthday several years ago and I just now got around to using it (it was NIB). Totally amazing and I see why people pay so much for these or the dasKeyboard.

What's with all the time clocks? when I don't have much to do and want to make a little cash on the side I fix them. Been too busy to mess with them lately.

Seriously dude, do you really need that much storage? We live in a very DE-cluttered house, all the odds and ends need to go somewhere. The clear bins make storing things in bins much less of a hassle. The downside of course is the visual clutter.

Isn't your desk a bit high? Yes, I sit at perch height, similar to the height a draftsman would sit at a drafting table, my desktop is 36 3/4" high, my seat is 28" high. My knees nor my hips are ever at an angle sharper than 30 degrees. I used to constantly have lower back problems, I changed my seating height after reading some ergonomics texts in school and my back problems disappeared.

The undermount lights on the wooden shelf shine right into my eyes, so I need to go out to the garage and cut a 2" strip of oak to mount on the front edge of the shelf so that I can use them.

There is evidence of both my occupation (vague/obscure) and an extremely nerdy hobby in the picture as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HKR posted:

Photographer for profession and warhammer.

Hah, I think my picture should have ruled that one out.

The figures are warmachine (retribution) but very very close, and just as nerdy but with a better aesthetic.

The film cabinet is for holding unexposed photopolymer plate material. The warmachine figures are sitting on a galley tray, I'm a letterpress printer.

therunningman posted:

IKEA Broder, yeah!

I have a similar setup, but with one of the 8' IKEA countertops as the desk surface. Amazingly sturdy and functional for the price.

Man, Ikea NUREMAR and Beech LAGAN (formerly PRONOMEN) countertops are the best drat deal in that store. I have the Beech LAGAN countertops all over my pressroom and kitchen, and a giant NUREMAR slab on a frame I made is my dining room table.

If I hadn't gotten this slab of glass for $5 I would have a LAGAN desktop in here as well.

Like I always say, IKEA is not a furniture store, it is a parts bin.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Centipeed posted:

When you want to annoy your co-workers and significant other, nothing else will do!

If you ever get a chance to grab an M-13, go for it. Buckling springs and a nub mouse, its a little slice of IBM heaven on your desktop.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ElProducto posted:

Word to the fifth grade.

Thanks for doing an important job that I would never do myself.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I need a 6' work bench that is sturdy and will look decent inside of my house.

Ideally it would be about counter heights so I can stand at it without bending over (I'm 5' 9"). I don't need it to be dynamically adjustable or anything.

What are some suggestions you might have that would keep me under $650?

What kind of work are you going to do on the bench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Computing and soldering

Yeah then the husky metal frame with wood top benches at home depot someone else linked should do you fine for the budget. If it was for woodworking I'd have opinions man