Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

I get a similar effect with a very low power (~6w) fluorescent "warm white" bulb. "Cool white" gives awful white light. If you're not doing any colour-sensitve work, F.lux will "warm" your monitor at night so it's not a huge blue/white light source in your room http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Wait, why is white light awful? Its closer to the color of natural sunlight than the color we've gotten used to from incandescent lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

It's not "awful," it's just harder on your eyes at night.

Oh I see, they need to make f.lux for lamps then.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Photex posted:

they do, just use an LED bulb with a controller.

http://lifehacker.com/5923887/build-your-own-color-temperature-lamp-for-multiple-lighting-options-from-one-lamp

This article was pretty timely and topical. But it does sound much more involved then just led bulb and controller. But still the possibility is there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Drogadon posted:

Got them from a local furniture store like two years ago and I don't see them anymore in their catalog. No idea about their brand or anything, no markings on them at all and the boxes are long gone, sorry.

Well the wire shelves are a design made by Whitmor and several other people if that helps any one. The desktops are what I haven't seen before.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dominoes posted:

Why? Where do you suggest moving it?

If it where me I might try that tower holder that Ikea made for Jerker desk and mount the receiver vertically on the side of the desk. Or get a better monitor hutch and put it below the monitors. Or attach it to the underside of the desk, just leave enough of a gap between the top of receiver and the bottom of the desk to let it vent.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

thelightguy posted:

Yeah, I went from a 21" CRT to a 24" LCD to a 24" LCD with a 15" LCD off to the side. Having one monitor just for PuTTY sessions is fantastic.

I'm actually starting to miss some of the smaller size monitors. If there was an ips monitor I could have put in portrait mode beside my U2412 I might have just stuck with 24" and maybe a smaller 17" for chat windows. As it was I went to a 27" monitor.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Maybe the person meant a generic Ikea wire organizer vs. one made by Ikea specifically for their Galant desk. Maybe.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone who is concerned with getting the perfect Chair/table/monitor mounts/etc... your prayers are answered with one device to rule them all.

http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products

The only issue I can see is having to put up with lovely BOSE speakers in otherwise premium products.

I want one of these so badly...

I will have a cheap, shoddy imitation of this goon throne one day when I move out of my parent's basement.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MancXVI posted:

You should get a real desk and either a real chair or a standing mat. That sick-rear end posting station may seem cool now, but anything looks cool in comparison to living in your parents' basement. There's a whole world out there and the key to that world is leaving a part of your inner goonlord at mom and dad's house.

Hahahahahahahaha. Quoting this for forever.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm not quite convinced that's how he actually worked, especially in his later years. But I'd be totally down for an electronics-free area of the house but that doesn't look like where his office would be.

What are those boxes Jobs is rocking on his desk. Look way too small to be a Macpro and then there's the black pc looking box.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What are the table legs people get from Ikea when they roll their own desk? I have desk top surface already, just want some recommendations on legs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

What are the table legs people get from Ikea when they roll their own desk? I have desk top surface already, just want some recommendations on legs.

After some reading I realized I need a Galant frame to go with the legs. I found a part number for the frame. 200.568.83, and a price of $30. From here: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/buying_guides/GALANT_desk_bg_080912.pdf Now for the dumbest question in the world. How can I order the frame? Putting in the part number of the frame in the search box on Ikea's website gives me nothing. If I put in the part number for the Signum cable organizer, it comes right up. What do I dooooo?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

My computer space comes with its own headphone holder. I believe its commonly referred to as a 'desk'. I cannot for the life of me imagine why people do anything else.

I mean, you can't think of any reason at all? Not even a little one? Like... oh keeping the headphones on a stand can keep the cord out of the way and keep the headphones from getting yanked off the desk? They take up less desk space when they're stored vertically? It looks better aesthetically? None of those came to mind?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I had an Asus RT-16 router in my room one night. When I turned off the lights and was assaulted by the laser light show, yes you can say I became annoyed. Same thing with my desktop. Its a nice looking Silverstone Temjin TJ-08E, pretty classy looking right? Go thru all the trouble of making it near silent. Then I have to put drat electrical tape on the front because of the obnoxiously bright blue LED. I should have left the power switch led unhooked.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

[quote="The Lord Bude" post="419915673"

[/quote]

The Lord Bude posted:

Well I suppose.

This thread finally made me tidy my desk a bit so I can contribute a shot. Also I am, it would appear,
a thoroughly shithouse photographer.

Hey what speakers are you rocking there by the way?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

program666 posted:

to do something no man ever did before (seemingly): using a tv as my main monitor.

Hey! Maannn....

Edit: oh wait. This isn't the monitor thread...

Coredump fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 2, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hole punch + electrical tape makes for a great LED dimmer. And by dimmer I mean extinguisher.

My god this is brilliant.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ShaneB posted:

IKEA hack desk:

The most boring corner of my place... I need some posters or something over there.

What shelf did you put on top of those legs? Also where in the catalog can you get the kitty because I didn't see it listed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Antioch posted:

What are you guys using to drive the monitors? I'm thinking about using some old Polk bookshelf speakers instead of the $20 Logitech budget poo poo I'm using, but putting $100+ into an amp seems like overkill.

I think you would be much happier with a set of Dayton Audio B652's. I run a set of those and they sound really nice. For driving them people like to recommend discrete amps but I find they are overpriced for the amount of power and features on them. I run my speakers off a "Micro Stereo Receiver" or something similar to this:

My particular one is a Teac that I snagged for $50. I feel you get more power and features looking for something like that than a discrete amp.

Also, with my monitor, Dell 2713hm, if I run an xbox or ps3 in with hdmi it has a line level 3.5 mm stereo output. So I can use a 3.5mm to rca adapter and get sound out of the monitor to my speakers.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Why in the world would they discontinue their most beautiful desk by far, especially before I decided to buy one.

drat maybe you can use one of their standalone table tops that's beech finished or raw. Or just get the frame and legs and supply your own top. loving stupid either way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, I saw that article a few weeks ago and was tempted to nudge my boss with it but I'm pretty sure the low refresh rate would kill me.

The 30hz refresh rate is fine for productivity. Plus you would be surprised at the frames some demanding games run at, where 30 fps is not unheard of. But really, if you just doing web browsing and productivity stuff, 30 hz is fine. Tech report spoke highly of it too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

Craning your neck? How close do you sit to your monitors that you have to literally turn your head to see your other monitor? I have two 24" displays so maybe its different with 30" displays or something but I orient them just like Coxswain and I don't even move my head to see from farthest left to the farthest right of the monitors. If there's something I'm very focused on then I might slightly turn my head, but nobody is snapping their neck back and forth to check their monitors like you seem to think.

Two 24" monitors are nearly four feet across. With the way people have their desks and chairs you HAVE to turn your head some. Maybe you all have been doing it so long you don't realize.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That's why I said with the way people have their desk. Look, I had two u2412's. You have to turn your head to look from one to the other unless you're so far away you can't read them.

Wasabi the J posted:

Are your studio monitors upside down? How does that even sound, with the main coil so far above your head?

He might be doing it to get the tweeters more on axis with his ears. I think high frequency sound is much more directional than low frequency sound.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You got a ikea near by? Look at their desktops or counter tops they sell separate. You want something with more vertical thinkness to reset bending.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

The big fan is inflow, and the heat sink fan is blowing the same way, so all of the air is flowing front (photo left) to rear (right).

I'm watching temperatures to see if a rear fan is necessary, but the front 180 mm fan seems to be doing fine on its own so far, so as long as temperatures stay good I'll leave this configuration alone (single filtered intake, positive pressure, pretty quiet).

Same case, same cooler, temps will be fine. Biggest improvement I made was to put an aftermarket cooler on my videocard. That dropped temps and noise.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm the AC unit cooling the heated water.

Saw an add for a nice new loft in Atlanta. Dishwasher was right beside the refrigerator.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ellic posted:

Regarding the Bekant sturdiness, it looks like the underframe is as well built as the Galant was:

I mean, thats some serious frame for MDF to sit on. I'm hoping for the same extension options the Galant had though, not sure if those are a thing yet.

It's where the legs attach to the frame you gotta watch out for. My galant wobbles because the top of the t leg only attaches to the frame at a single point.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

I suppose I can post my desk, now with computer case on it.

Oops the panels weren't completely on.

Ncase M1 spotted. How do you like that case?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

piercedbronson posted:

yeah that thing is there for rigidity. It wouldn't "wobble" so much as not put up much of a fight and collapse if you were to nudge it hard enough.

Yeah but the desk that came after that one did not have the wide piece of metal connecting the legs and the legs are connected to the top of the desk in the same manner.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

piercedbronson posted:

Then remove it and see what happens. The replacement desk may be built similarly but I'm sure it's designed better where it counts.

edit: wait, what do you mean "the desk that came after that one"?

The Galant. Couldn't remember the name of it. Either way the leg attaches to the frame with a single bolt. If it was good enough for the Galant I don't see why the Fredrick can't make it work either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How much weight can that hp zr22w support? I wonder if it can handle the 32" HP Envy. Hmmmm.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Photex posted:

why would you stencil a picture of your girlfriend on a computer case?

How do humans work? Beep boop

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

I regret to inform you but that is embarrassing nerd poo poo

That poo poo was awesome.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

Jerker is too big for any space that isn't a basement goon command center

Really? Weird. Well let me tell you about the Obutto R3volution...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

i just don't see what else you need on a desk, then again I think I only need one 27" monitor. you can see my very own Goon Command Center in this thread, and i'm never pressed for space!

Yes but is it in the basement? This is important.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

On Terra Firma posted:

I thought they still sold it but yeah you're right. Maybe it was the Bekant I felt at the store that didn't feel sturdy. I've been looking for a replacement for my Jerker and the thing I like about it the most is the depth. It sits up against the wall but I still have room to put my feet up under my desk while allowing me to sit right up at the keyboard and mouse. I can't even find a desk with those kinds of dimensions and I've toyed with the idea about having something custom made. I just know that would be expensive if I didn't go with wooden legs. Ugh.

I've got a galant. Shakiness confirmed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Galant's weakness was that the frame that held the table top only connected to the tee legs with a single large bolt through the middle of the leg. This let the table top rock back and fort on top of the tee leg. I would think the a-frame legs would be more sturdy since its two points of attachment per side. Even knowing what I know about the galant I would get another one. It was a nice desk for the money.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

Which reminds me, the ASUS comes with some software that supposedly expands the snapping and let's you snap to quarters etc, though I've not tried it yet.

There's an old program out there called winsplit revolution that did quarters and sixths, plus with the ability to define custom snapping areas. It's an abandoned project at this point so there may be something newer out there. You can download it from majorgeeks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KillHour posted:

I actually do own that keyboard.

Sup keyboard buddy, heard we were having a meeting in this thread. Have you dampened your keys yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Etrips posted:

So what happens if you want to watch a movie?

You sit down on the couch in front of the tv?