Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

3/26/95: Neva Fo-get

Click here for the full 2048x956 image.

This is where I waste my life away. My home system is far less exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

It's a prototype for an F150 rear floor mat.

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

Centipeed posted:

As in... the ones which go on the floor and keep you from getting it dirty?

How do you design a prototype for that? I figured they were pretty much done when it came to floor mat R&D.

Everything that has ever been made gets prototyped first. Our prototypes are used to check the fit of the overall design before additional features (tread, carpet hook locations, etc) are added. In addition, the material the mats are made out of shrinks in one direction or another as it cools (Google Thermoforming)and modifications need to be made to the tool design before it moves on to the production tooling level. Production tools are made of different materials (a poured epoxy and aluminum power mixture in our case) and cost much more.

/Derail

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

Erwin posted:

In all seriousness, if you're prototyping a new design, that must mean a new truck design, right? Otherwise, wouldn't they just make more of what they already make?
New product line for this company. They're not flat, they mimic the curvature of the floor and go up the sidewalls, tapping mud, snow, etc.

Here's an example. It's on my desktop.

Click here for the full 1126x844 image.

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

chomper posted:

Anymore angles/pics we can look at? Those look quite neat. I'd probably buy them for my Jeep. Especially after muddy trail days.
http://www.niftyproducts.com

Can get a few more pictures tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webjunkie
Jan 19, 2003

Click here for the full 1500x489 image.

I spend too much time here.