Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

SmirkingJack posted:

I still don't understand what is so amazing about the Jerker. Sure it looks like it will do the job, but I don't see anything that makes people go on and on about it.

What I really like about the Jerker is the incredible use of vertical space it allows (for renters especially, who generally can't punch holes in the wall to add shelves). Having a non-obtrusive and wildly useful hutch, combined with the solid build quality, good size, customizability, affordability, and flat transportability, made it a clear winner.

The Jerker wouldn't be talked about anymore if it actually had a comparable successor. The Frederik is similar in utility, but is smaller, feels much flimsier and has less hutch options, while the Galant is similar in sturdiness, but nowhere near as useful without a hutch, and much more expensive. It doesn't make sense why IKEA discontinued the Jerker.

punkrawk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

pete0r posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that $2000 includes the chair as well (and maybe a new window?). I can't imagine how a long table (he reused the cabinets) cost $2000.

I did this in a previous room years ago, and it can be done cheaper for certain. Home depot sells huge (18' x 30") counter-top planks of MDF in various laminate colors as low-end kitchen surfaces, and they make terrific desktops. The counter was $110 + $5 to cut it down to 14 feet. Add to the mix two IKEA cabinets (the exact models are out of production, but were $70 each). I absolutely loved the desk.

Although not exactly like what was pictured, the heavy lifting for a giganto-huge desk can be done for ~$300.

punkrawk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 18, 2010

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

Nodoze posted:

Seconding this. I have one and it's great, I hope it never breaks

I actually own two of these. They're great values, but be very sure that they're a good height before you buy. I didn't realize until a few weeks in/it was too late that they were a big too tall for me.

If only the Galant T-Legs were compatible (side note: can they be made to fit?), I wouldn't feel like I was in grade school when I sat down at my desk and could salvage at least my tabletops. :smith: