Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cubicle dwellers, unite.

Not pictured: The right side of my desk which includes:

Star Wars toy
Foam Wind Turbine
Kleenex Box
Car Keys
And hanging on the wall, lots of useful GIS scipting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rock Tumbler posted:

I should take one of those classes. My handwriting hasn't changed since I was about ten.

Yeah, all you need to take is a basic intro to drafting (non-cad) course. The first thing they teach you is how to write in the blocky architect-style font. I should start using it more often.

Oh yeah, even though I'm sure there isn't much interest, I am a GIS Analyst for a Land/Energy company and having dual monitors makes my job 50 times easier.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

rscott posted:

My inspection workstation.

Someone's listening to "Empros" (I listen to Russian Circles a lot at work - instrumental music is perfect for my environment).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Work work work. I need to buy some more lamps for my office (overhead light is only on for the sake of the picture).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

So much space to use.

I really love the clock - can you share some info about it?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
My cats don't care if my headphones are on a stand or not, so I have to settle on a drawer.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i can't stand having my tower next to my face, but i have one of those little stands that keeps my tower like 5" above the carpet. is that an ok thing to do?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
[jerry seinfeld voice] what's the deal with putting the tower on the desk?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that's a big rear end mousepad. is there any reason to get that $40 Glorious pad above the 12"-16" x 36" cheaper ones?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
about how long of a surface would i need for a 2 person desk if both workstations are against the same wall?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I know I just talked smack about dual monitor setups, but your question entirely depends on how many monitors there will be in total, whether they’ll be on floating mounts, much space you will want for non-computer stuff, etc.

So what will the setups look like?

1 monitor each, no mounts or computer stuff unless we are talking about procreating or perhaps a small pizza feast

Parachute
May 18, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

I just had some trestles made up for about $90AU and bought a 2100x900x30mm panel from Bunnings for about the same.

https://imgur.com/a/FVeufuH x2
+
https://www.bunnings.com.au/selex-900-x-30-x-2100mm-laminated-clear-pine-sheet_p0290007

Because the trestles are 3 legged I don't find the inner legs get in the way at all. The panel is so loving thick and heavy there's no swaying or flex.

i literally bought 2 of these from ikea for $30 total and used wood glue to adhere them to my lovely ikea top and they are great. the only problem is there is a lot less leg-room underneath if you want the legs to align flush with the sides of the top and not stick out on the sides

edit: heres the legs & picture of them from the site that show how little leg room they provide underneath: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10118971/

Parachute
May 18, 2003
idk but im in the process of building a 2-person desk right now for my wife and i. still need to put a few coats of poly on it, install a couple of those ikea cable baskets and 4 grommets, but it should hopefully be ready to go in a week.

i am putting 2" black trim around the edges it to hide the ply and it was in the process of drying when i took this pic. also i hadn't painted the little box/stabilizer thing or drilled the 120 holes in it for ventilating the towers

its just made with some kind of not-ultra-lovely pine that cost $35 for 8'x4' and 4 metal ikea legs that i painted. the box is made of MDF

Parachute
May 18, 2003
here's how the top turned out. going to move it from my dads shop to my house this weekend.

it's about 7.5 feet long and 30" deep

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i gave up on trying to get with someone who has my mirror interests at like 19. after that i became realistic and ultimately married someone who was ok with being around me for more than a few moments at a time.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I like these velcro ties for more general around the house uses. Plus, with the loop through hole in them you can use them with your laptop cords, USB cables, headphones, etc that aren't always in use.

these are the best

edit: here's the finished desk + computers. btw cats destroy everything like office chairs and rugs and your life. i'll post pics of the cable organization but i just have a couple of those ikea baskets mounted underneath. i can never go back to un-mounted monitors again, either.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 29, 2019

Parachute
May 18, 2003
man i dont even know WHERE TO FUCKIN START WITH THAT I LOVE IT

Parachute
May 18, 2003
both of my monitors are mounted and the speakers are behind them pretty much at the back of the desk. they are only 6-7" tall so i could pull them under the monitor if i want but i have enough room to the left of the monitor too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's clean as hell and i like it & if my tower wasn't hiding the mess of cables behind it i would absolutely be using that wall-channel method. i did that in my living room and ended up painting it the same color as the wall.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
those curtains look like blackout shower curtains and lol at needing a chart to justify having a 60" tv no more than 5 feet from you at any place in your bedroom

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like the kind that are very similar to that but clamp to your desk instead of having a base because they save even more space and "feel" sturdier. Mine always looks like it's leaning a bit forward but that may be the ever-shifting foundation in my house or possibly a spell of vertigo.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
thats a nice adult setup cat poster

Parachute
May 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Made some adjustments to the desk I built for basement WFH, pretty happy with the arrangement now. I also added a footrest bar in the back, I like kicking up my feet.

dont kick too hard or whatever is going on there to the right is gonna collapse all over your everything

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that reminds me so much of the shuttle pc i had 15 years ago and i loved it & that mITX build definitely makes me want to go that route again one day.

now to get a little rear end ducky keyboard like this one

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5530

Parachute
May 18, 2003

dema posted:

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

do yall hold hands when you raid? im assuming thats why the workstations are so close together

edit: my desk is 8' long so i can swing my arm wildly in the air and not sock my wife in the jaw

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im gonna need to hit that pen because im getting some real anxiety with that potted plant location

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

gray shiplap wall

minifridge beer/Sig/Yeti/Apple stickers in lieu of personality

sheepskin on floor

post your setup you petulant little turd

Parachute
May 18, 2003
semi-related during that big rear end texas winter storm i had a big water leak in the ceiling when i wasnt home and i came home to this (and water spraying everywhere)

my main monitor somehow still works (?) but nothing else on the desk does. also treat this is a PSA for keeping your computer under the desk because mine is still working only for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Your PSA is useless for when there is a flood and only the things at table height or above survive.

Its also useless in a fire you "well actually" child