Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I need to vacuum.

MacBook Pro
iPhone
Logitech Bluetooth mouse
Logitech Z4 speakers with control module
FireWire hard drive for Time Machine
Notebook & pen
Dell 2005fpw LCD
Apple aluminum keyboard
DSL modem & Linksys WRT54G running Tomato
Custom built Linux server
Dell laptop (not mine, just setting it up for someone)
Pen & pencil holder, mail sorter

Actually, after looking at this, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that my server is in the middle when I'm using the Mac 98% of the time. But I do like having the light from the window right behind it.

edit: This has inspired me to rearrange a bit. The white cord over to the right of the server is a USB extension for the Apple Keyboard. When the keyboard is over on the side, it's connected to the server. When it's centered, it's connected straight to the Mac. The Dell LCD is connected to the server with VGA, and to the Mac with DVI, and a toggle button on the front switches between inputs. And right after taking this, I connected the Mac's audio output to my Logitech speaker control module input.

It was just a shame to not use the LCD, keyboard, and speakers more, so thanks thread!

gregday fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

chief touching you posted:

Took this tonight for the multiple monitor thread OH GOD A STRAY WIRE

jus look at dat jerker and dos 30" dells :smug:

Is that a Rain mStand? How do you like it?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

Not entirely sure its this, but I know the Griffin stand that Apple sells for the Macbooks is an awesome stand. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A

Spend $8 and get the Rain mStand.

gregday
May 23, 2003

jackpot posted:

I love my Mac keyboard so much, but it never occurred to me that I could use one on my PC. Are there any caveats to doing that, besides losing the "Windows" key? God, if I could map my Command key to be my Control key (in Windows), you might make my day here.

The lack of Insert bites people sometimes, but you're probably fine as long as you can correctly deal with the mapping of PgUp, PgDown, Home and End.

gregday
May 23, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

Sup Pacific Northwest buddy (Vancouver here).

What desk is that? Been looking for something very similar. Looks like the Ikea Mikael, which can't be gotten anywhere anymore.

gregday fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 26, 2011

gregday
May 23, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

It's actually just http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10103677 without the extension.

Oh that's perfect. Thanks!

edit: drat. $129 from Ikea, but I don't live closer than 350 miles to a store, and the shipping cost is $299. No luck on eBay, Craigslist, either.

gregday fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 27, 2011

gregday
May 23, 2003

Well gently caress. I really want an IKEA JONAS desk but I'm not driving to Atlanta (nearest store) to get one and I really don't want to pay $299 in shipping for a $129 desk.

If anyone lives near an IKEA and wants to make a little money helping me out, PM me and we'll talk.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Spike McAwesome posted:

There are companies that exist that do Ikea delivery. There's ModernLV.com here in Vegas. There might be something like that in your area.

Thanks. I found http://www.modernash.com which will let me pick it up from Nashville for only $50 extra. That I can do. :)

gregday
May 23, 2003

dema posted:

New desk to replace the rickety old particle board thing I was using before. 8 ft long, 170 lbs, solid maple top, steel legs, adjustable height workbench. Rock solid. Zero movement.

Got a 30" LCD, 15" laptop, printer, speakers and plenty of desk space left over for writing, eating, whatever.

It's rad.

That's beautiful. Custom made or did you bought it whole somewhere?

gregday
May 23, 2003

My wife and I want a single desk to share in our home office. We aren't sure if we want to work side by side, or have the desk more in the center of the room and work across from each other, Battleship style. We both really like the style of just having a big slab o' top with some spread out legs that won't get in the way. I'm in love with maple, and I'm considering this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3Y20RK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2A53VW6MVTXR

With these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XD7BVU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19NXYPR29N4VV

For under $300 it seems like it'll be a nice place to work. I think it'll be wide enough. Right now we are using a crappy L-desk I got while working at OfficeMax during college almost 15 years ago ( :stonk: ) that is 24" wide on each side. We have one side of the L against the wall and the other side jutting out into the center of the room. One of us sits in the corner of it and the other on the outside of the jutting part.

I guess I'm wondering if there's any reason I should avoid just getting this slab of butcher's block and some legs and doing this? Seems like it'll be very stable, and if 8' is too long I can cut it down. I know I could probably make my own butcher's block slab a lot cheaper, but I don't have the workspace to do it and I'd honestly just rather buy it already made up and just put the legs on.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I did something similar, and no there's not much else you'd need to do. I would recommend a good finish for it, assuming you know how to finish wood.

That I can do. Thanks for pointing out it's unfinished. Somehow missed that, but it won't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just put this together.

It's a Williamsburg Butcher Block (meant for countertops mainly), cut down to 7' with Prisma brushed steel legs attached. Few coats of polyurethane on top and it's ideal.