Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HalloKitty posted:

I guess this is the nerdiest my setup gets

Two PCs, 6 monitors.. There's a projector to the left of all this poo poo which is connected to my xbox 360.. (yes, I fail)
Do you really need an entire monitor exclusively dedicated to Spybot S&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rock Tumbler posted:

Some of us don't give a poo poo
I didn't either and now that I have literally over 50 cables behind my desk it actually became physically difficult to add or remove something.

I guess for small computer setups it really doesn't matter though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

jmmtn4aj posted:

I would think that with all the cables tied/bundled together it would be even more troublesome..
This was the case with zip ties and twist ties, which is why I don't use either anymore. I got 165 feet of double-sided velcro for about $35 online, and it's been lovely.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sister Miyagi posted:

This is after I cleaned up :smith:
Molly McButter, are you kidding

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

OH AND I DON'T LIVE LIKE poo poo

(There's probably 70 cables back there. gently caress not tying that up.)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 15, 2008

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I had 320 Double Gulp cups in my room once because I thought it was funny to accumulate that many, but they were cleaned out and neatly stacked.

Disgusting nerds can have some pride too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

natlampe posted:

Why do so many people take pictures of their stack of tissues? I hope it's because they have a cold.
I thought people used dirty socks for that, I've never heard of a real person using tissues

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rock Tumbler posted:

Tissues are way too thin to have any beneficial effect during the clean-up phase
I think it's more for the crying afterwards

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adante posted:

an old setup of mine. Has since been replaced by a new stand and laptop but the premise is the same

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

syphon^2 posted:

I also wanted to show off my new Hazro HZ24Wi monitor.
When I was monitor shopping a few months ago Hazro made me sad that I'm American :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Forgive me if I'm mistakenly speaking for the whole forum but I sincerely believe that this is a thread about desks and nobody here actually gives a poo poo about your ricer lights and perhaps you should do something like lurk before posting

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Clueless Tuquee posted:

Click here for the full 1024x677 image.

My desk, taken earlier in the month. Living like poo poo with cables everywhere, and a Nortel phone; none of your fancy-pants VOIP for me. Since this picture was taken, I've added a second display to my iMac; I'll edit this post once I get a change to take a photo of it.
Ho-ly poo poo at that old Electronics Boutique joystick. I used to have the same one back in 1990 or whenever the hell that was.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

glompix posted:

Oh man I want a snuggy too. You have no idea
How is this thing different than an oversize bathrobe

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mecha-Tech posted:

What are you painting in Photoshop? It looks like one of the characters from James Cameron's Avatar.
ruh roh

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

Is 1080p painful or crisp at 21.5"?
I ran 1680x1050 on 20" widescreens pretty comfortably for a number of years.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spike McAwesome posted:

I suppose this is a good a place as any to ask this:

I'm moving at the end of the month and I'm wondering where I should put my desk for a gaming desktop. Here's the floorplan of my new place:

The black arrow is pointing to a built-in desk. The red arrow is where I originally wanted to put my desk (Ikea Galant), and the blue arrow is another option. Am I being neurotic for thinking this way:

- I don't want to put my computer on the built-in desk. I'd rather use that for bills and for studying when I start grad school in the fall.
- I worry that by putting it in the living room (red arrow), it'll take up too much space in the room and make some of the breakfast bar unusable.
- But I don't really want to put it in the bedroom (blue arrow) since that seems too teenager-living-at-home to me.
Kitchen, immediately next to Mountain Dew and Troegs repositories

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I've been in a few furniture stores lately, and I've happened to wander into the office sections where they keep the really nice wooden office desks, and I have to say I didn't like any of them. I mean most of them looked really nice and seemed to be well made from a quality perspective, but apparently every "nice" desk these days no matter where you go has a great big drawer right in under the center of the main surface area, meant to go above your legs, leaving (depending on your chair height) either no room for your legs at all or room for your legs but a desk surface way too tall for typing comfortably on. Usually these drawers are set to have the front fold down so they double as keyboard trays, but the problem is that every one of them are too narrow to fit a keyboard and mouse. I guess they expect you to put your mouse on the desk surface and use it by extending your arm way out in front of you and at a much higher level than where your keyboard is set.

It really does seem like a Galant-style desk is pretty much the best desk for computer productivity.
If you look around your area, you'll probably find a number of office furniture stores that deal in built-to-specification MDF hardware. We went with one for the computer desk I have at home and are pretty much completely happy with it. It's built like a rock compared to typical Sauder or Bush poo poo, but we didn't spend $1500 on it either and we got exactly what we wanted.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Jadus posted:

My work office recently got a renovation, and now in addition to my spread of cables, I have ample wall space that I'm looking to cover with something sufficiently classy/technical for an IT office.

Any suggestions?
Shelves

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dicklas posted:

Apart from the poor wallpaper choices, that is a sweet setup.
Seriously, ragecomics are this decade's bacon monkeycheese.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Crossposting from the GBS thread

This is how not to wire peripherals.
Also where not to put a receiver :shobon:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

inkblottime posted:

Josie (dog) is my editor and chief.
Is that a... Border Corgi?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ZTeamIsDead posted:

I could really use an actual table for my old computer. :(

For those who are going ask how did I get Windows 95 styled windows. I use ThrobOff
Windows 2000 :rolleyes:

Edit: for the authentic 2000 feel you should be using Prairie Wind.bmp as your wallpaper

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Postal posted:

...fingerprints and other assorted nastinesses that get on glass top desks
It's all the same things that get on other types of desks except you see it and are motivated to clean it instead of smearing around your own sweaty Doritos Locos Taco filth until you move out

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mischief posted:

living like poo poo
Miller High Life? No kidding. And is that a Firewire connector on that iPod charger? How old is that thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone who is concerned with getting the perfect Chair/table/monitor mounts/etc... your prayers are answered with one device to rule them all.

http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products

The only issue I can see is having to put up with lovely BOSE speakers in otherwise premium products.

I want one of these so badly...
I must be the only one who remembers the movie Grandma's Boy