Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

samoth posted:

To everyone with multiple computers and monitors running 24/7/365: what do your electric bills look like?

I live with 4 other people. We have a bunch of computers.

6 desktops on 24/7. There are 9 monitors across them.
2 Laptops that are on 24/7
2 Laptop that are on 16/5 24/2 when we work
1 Laptop that's only on when one guy wants to jerk off or play WoW in his bedroom.
An EEE PC on 24/7 that I should probably turn off but I never do.

We also have a pool filter, which runs once a day for like an hour.

Our electric bill is usually $350-450 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Isbiten posted:

Is it worth it? Because turning off the computers when you're sleeping would save a lot. Can't you have one computer on 24/7 if you need a server.

Between the 5 roommates, 3 of us have our own music/movie collections on our own computers (mine is across 2 machines with smaller hard drives :(), which we all share so we can stream them to eachother's speakers/screens, or play them on any of the three xboxes in the house. It's easier to leave these on all the time, rather than try to play some music in the living room and have the server be offline.

There's also one server in that mix that's on 24/7, so that's another that needs to stay on. Total of 5 deskops.

The other desktop could probably be powered down every night.

The EEE PC I never use for anything really, and should be off.

MY GIRLFRIEND and I use our laptops for work, and they're both on / connected to VPN all the time when at home. It's easier to just leave it on at night so I wake up and check all my emails quickly. I guess we could turn these off too.

My friend leaves his Macbook on all the time. Not sure if he has to.

The other laptop is just a "community t30" in the living room for VNC / Remote Desktop really, and we just leave it on and plugged in most times.

We're all "professionals" working in Silicon Valley, so $70-80 each a month for power isn't unreasonable. If you want to hear unreasonable, we have 2 internet connections in the house.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Sniep posted:

Nice 7960. Most of the offices I've worked in have had super old Avaya or Panasonic phone systems. :saddowns:

7970 or bust.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Sorry for the gigantic, fuzzy camera phone pics. I'm at work and I don't have GIMP or anything on my laptop.

I think I have you all beat on the Cisco Phone front.

edit: Before I slink off to the corner with monitor envy, I should note that I usually work from home and wasn't enough of an rear end to ask for several giant widescreen monitors I'd probably use maybe one day a week.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 29, 2009

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Cleaned things up a bit and reorganized my work flow since I'm pretty much not going to be traveling from now on. Moved the 2nd monitor on the testbed PC on the left to the opposite corner of the cube for machine image testing.

Why is it whenever I see a Cisco phone in a picture, it has the voicemail light lit up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You using a 7960 as a home phone?

Cool people have a line run and a VPN set up so their home has an office phone.

:c00l: