Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I finally got my desk reasonably organized a few days ago and cleaned up the wires today. The only thing I actively dislike about my setup is the mouse/keyboard combination. I originally picked up a G11 to make use of the macro keys for programming and while they are handy, I'm finding the actual keyboard to be incredibly uncomfortable. The MX518 is a great mouse, but I just can't stand the retarded "dented" look anymore. Plus I've changed my opinion on wireless peripherals since grabbing a VX Nano for my laptop. That thing is loving spectacular.

I also can't decide whether it's worth it to "downgrade" to two matching 19" 1680x1050 monitors or ditch the 360 to make room for another 22".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Samsung 226BW

By far one of the best 22" monitors I've used, although not as nice as a really good 19" or 24". The monitor next to it as an ancient 17" Samsung 730B that I love dearly. :shobon:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mr_Person posted:

Cheap headphones or not, I'm still not clear on why they should be on a stand when not in use. Like, is there a particular reason headphones should be stored standing up, or is it just because it looks nice? It seems like a lot of wasted space to me.

I'm pretty sure people just do it because it looks nice. I've been trying to figure out what I want to do about mine since I can't stand how messy they look just lying on my desk and it's too much of a pain to toss them in the closet or a drawer when I'm not using them. Same benefit as cable organization, I guess, it just creates a neater workspace.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BiRD BoY posted:

Added some new junk

MacBook + Bigger TV

I totally do not get you people with multiple computers all over your desk. I sort of used to do this when I was in highschool, but it drives me crazy now. My laptop is hardly ever even open on my desk, since two monitors on one computer is about a million times more practical and convenient. I do have a second computer that acts as a fileserver/torrentbox/web development test server, but it's headless and lives in my closet where nobody can see its shame.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

noydb posted:

Can anyone post examples of "door desks"? I'm fascinated by the idea of making my own desk. I love a TON of room and big drawers. It's hard to find a desk that is durable and has a ton of space for less than $600.00.

I don't want to deter you or anything if this is what you want to do, but I did the door desk thing for a while and I really didn't like it. I supported mine on cabinets and covered it in some cheap, black kitchen countertop material from Home Depot. The countertop stuff didn't look quite as nice as finished wood, but it was very easy to dust and keep clean. My biggest problem with the setup was the lack of depth, and also that I was never really able to get it to the height I wanted.

I ended up replacing it with a Galant from Ikea. This thing is deeper than most doors would be, you can still shove cabinets underneath it, and with one of the small extensions it's longer than a door as well. It's also not too expensive. I already posted this earlier in the thread, and it's a little bit out of date, but if you're curious this is what it looks like. I bought the largest tabletop/frame combo. I'm actually planning on cutting into this thing sometime in the near future to make a cable hole and a place to mount a USB hub so I can have some USB ports flush with the desk surface.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Cizzo posted:

What speakers are those? I'm tired of having 5.1 speakers scattered all over the place.

B&W DM303s. I salvaged these from my old home theater setup and I've had them forever, so I'm sure someone here can recommend something newer/more available. You might want to consider a pair of active studio monitors so you don't have to deal with a receiver (mine is hidden away under my desk, on top of my subwoofer).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

glompix posted:

I do believe you need to drill holes for that Signum cable tray. I got one and couldn't figure out how to get it on and didn't have a drill, so it's just laying in a closet. :(

These and these attach directly to the frame and don't require any drilling, but they hang over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

tonelok posted:

Having done the cheap desks for years, we have two Galants and they are worth every penny.

Yeah, I've had my Galant for several years and I'm in love with it. Aside from being sturdy, the largest top is loving huge. I bought a cheap shelf from Ikea along with some cheap legs to make a desk-on-desk monitor stand. Keeps my monitors elevated about 8" and gives me a place to shove my keyboard and mouse if I need extra space on the desk for some reason. The best part is that the desk is so big that I'm able to fit an elevated shelf with two 22" monitors on it and still have room for a bookshelf speaker to the left and right of the shelf.

The computer holder is also really nice and sturdy as gently caress.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 21, 2010